Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Scarboy posted:

I had to do something like this for a game I was working on. I was thinking about doing it in a .NET language but realized I wanted to pass it on to my friend who was Mac only to do some levels for me. I settled on doing it in Javascript + canvas, and was finished the basic stuff within an hour.

Just curious if you considered doing your tile/level editor as a web app.

Nah, .NET is fine for me - and its planned to be fairly extensible / complete. Shooting for (failure anticipated) a reasonably powerful featureset and I'm pretty comfortable with WPF and .NET.

That said, did run into a number of issues with the WPF Canvas, but once I got that sorted - all was well and moving along quickly :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alcohol Kills
Feb 29, 2008

by Peatpot

push-button geometric progression

bitch

soon there will be a place to change the float between clicks, next to the pushme

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Alcohol Kills posted:

push-button geometric progression

bitch

soon there will be a place to change the float between clicks, next to the pushme

These are great exercises, and I'm sure your "Learn Computer Programming in 24 Hours" book is lots of fun, but why not try writing something that actually does something useful?

Alcohol Kills
Feb 29, 2008

by Peatpot

SlightlyMadman posted:

These are great exercises, and I'm sure your "Learn Computer Programming in 24 Hours" book is lots of fun, but why not try writing something that actually does something useful?

Y'all just too narrow-minded to see where I'm going with all this.

Don't worry, it'll get cool. Patience.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Alcohol Kills posted:

You know what you should get?

Alcohol Kills
Feb 29, 2008

by Peatpot

Avenging Dentist posted:

You know what you should get?

My nuts in your mouth?

Too late.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Alcohol Kills posted:

My nuts in your mouth?

You rated this post a '1'! Go hog wild!

Alcohol Kills
Feb 29, 2008

by Peatpot

Avenging Dentist posted:

You rated this post a '1'! Go hog wild!

Every post you've ever made

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Alcohol Kills posted:

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Alcohol Kills posted:

Y'all just too narrow-minded to see where I'm going with all this.

Even if it does all get cool, this thread isn't really the place to post your exercises before you make something cool. It's for those things that we can already look at and say "oh hey, that looks cool!"

argz
May 20, 2005

The hand says it all.

Alcohol Kills posted:

Sweet track record you have. Maybe you should just give stop posting all together. At least quit making GBS threads up this thread.

Alcohol Kills
Feb 29, 2008

by Peatpot
But I like programming and I like showing off

I'm not asking you to suck my dick, here

It is personally a thrill to me to show the world where I'm starting out. By what right do you declare that there is no newbie out there being inspired by my progress?

By what right, sir?

It's one of the most popular threads by views in the forum, could you propose a better place for me to share my adventures?

Alcohol Kills fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 6, 2009

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

I like the post. Really cool post.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Here's the stdout an IRC bot I've been working on for a while:

In it you can see KaeseEs one-upping me by showing off his bot's piping.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Scaevolus posted:

Here's the stdout an IRC bot I've been working on for a while:

In it you can see KaeseEs one-upping me by showing off his bot's piping.

Also pictured is gtbot gracefully ignoring other bots :q:

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

IRC bots can be surprisingly useful for serious business.

I was contracted about 5 years ago to come up with a solution for a major news site that was being bombarded by some really psychotic trolls posting death threats against journalists and all sorts of things. The site had a really useless moderation system and they where adamant they didn't want to do signups or queuing stuff for moderation

So the solution was an IRC bot that had an XMLRPC interface , and everytime something was posted it pinged the bot which reported it in the channel.

In the end they managed to reduce the amount of time required to delete shitposts down to around about 15 seconds, which was phenomenal.

I also helped them track down the worst of the trolls, and they dropped a news team on his door which shut him up really loving fast.

Contero
Mar 28, 2004

duck monster posted:

IRC bots can be surprisingly useful for serious business.

I was contracted about 5 years ago to come up with a solution for a major news site that was being bombarded by some really psychotic trolls posting death threats against journalists and all sorts of things. The site had a really useless moderation system and they where adamant they didn't want to do signups or queuing stuff for moderation

So the solution was an IRC bot that had an XMLRPC interface , and everytime something was posted it pinged the bot which reported it in the channel.

In the end they managed to reduce the amount of time required to delete shitposts down to around about 15 seconds, which was phenomenal.

I also helped them track down the worst of the trolls, and they dropped a news team on his door which shut him up really loving fast.

It's called "post screenshots of stuff you're working on" not "type a bunch of words" :rolleye:

(that's really awesome)

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Atomon
Mar 15, 2003
I can't remember my legs
I'm working on DiffPaste, a pastebin with basic version tracking and side-by-side diff.

Click here for the full 951x772 image.

Click here for the full 950x768 image.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

Atomon posted:

I'm working on DiffPaste, a pastebin with basic version tracking and side-by-side diff.

Click here for the full 951x772 image.

Click here for the full 950x768 image.

Either paste.pocoo.org or dpaste.de has that.

Beezle
Oct 19, 2008

Happy Steve Perry Day!
Here's one of my WIP's - A taco-collecting anthropomorphic pea platform game, written in Python.

I've been working on it on-off for ages now. It's also suffering from some pretty severe scope creep. Why yes, I do have a low attention span.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Beezle posted:

Here's one of my WIP's - A taco-collecting anthropomorphic pea platform game, written in Python.

I've been working on it on-off for ages now. It's also suffering from some pretty severe scope creep. Why yes, I do have a low attention span.

That looks fantastic! Pygame or pyglet?

terminatusx
Jan 27, 2009

:megaman:Indie Game Dev and Bringer of the Apocalypse

Beezle posted:

Looks pretty zany goon sir. :wotwot: Did you do all the art?

What kind of features are creepin in? Seems pretty straightforward to me, at least from the screenshot. Run and jump on platforms, avoid/defeat different types of enemies, collect tacos, go to the goal.

Beezle
Oct 19, 2008

Happy Steve Perry Day!
Thanks! It's a Pygame project.

The graphics were all drawn by me with the exception of the background, which I will get around to doing myself sometime.

As for the creep, I don't think there's much in the way of unique features in the game but there's a lot of things that I added when I probably should have just finished the game up with what I had, and added them in a later version.

Stuff like:
Conveyor belts
Melty platforms
Foreground and background scenery
Bouncy springs

I've also rewritten most of the game since I started it for once reason or another. It's my first real programming project (personal project at least), so it's all part of the fun of course. I've also written a proper level editor for it, instead of making the levels in notepad as I was in the beginning.

- rather than -
code:
NAME:Happy Slappy Fun Zone Adventure

t            t    
   *     D         ----
~~~~     %          
         H *=*       %  %
    t=   H %%%%    t %  H
    --   HtH      ---%  H
         % %~~~%   ~ %  H
  *   =    %   %     % t%
  -----%   H t H-      
       %   %   %-   
      -%=    *     *
 S   %%%%>>>>>>>>>>>  <<<
%    
%%~~~~~~~~~~~%      
%%%^^^^^^^^^^%  *    
BAD:2,7,1,h,0
BAD:6,2,2,h,0
BAD:13,8,2,h,0
BAD:10,6,3,v,3
BAD:17,15,3,f,5
BAD:22,5,2,v,2
BAD:23,11,2,v,2
LEVEL_END
(not the same level but you get the idea)

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
I swear the more I get done, the more it seems like I have left to do. :(

Oh well, at least world geometry shadows models now ...

Click here for the full 727x560 image.

... and I got the Mandatory Gimmicky Water Shader out of the way ...

Click here for the full 755x635 image.

(Yes, I know there's a line near the model's hip in the shadows image, the material system doesn't handle clamp-to-edge yet)

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

Shadow volumes are so 2004 :P.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

shodanjr_gr posted:

Shadow volumes are so 2004 :P.
That's using a cubemap depth texture actually. I'm still tinkering with some edge softening approaches.

CanSpice
Jan 12, 2002

GO CANUCKS GO
Not really a screenshot but one of the output files:

That's a carbon monoxide map of the centre of the galaxy. My software generated that from raw data after about a day of processing. That map is about two degrees across, so four full moons could fit in there.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

OneEightHundred posted:

I swear the more I get done, the more it seems like I have left to do. :(

Click here for the full 727x560 image.

... and I got the Mandatory Gimmicky Water Shader out of the way ...

Click here for the full 755x635 image.

(Yes, I know there's a line near the model's hip in the shadows image, the material system doesn't handle clamp-to-edge yet)

Are you planning on adding antialiasing at any time? It looks real neat but the jaggies are a bit irksome

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Actually I think I just nailed down a technique that does a decent soft shadow approximation, I'll post screenshots once my desktop has Internet access again.

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Are you planning on adding antialiasing at any time? It looks real neat but the jaggies are a bit irksome
Yeah, but it's VERY far down the priority list because very little else depends on it. It's one of those things where it could be the LAST thing I implement and it wouldn't change the development process for the entire rest of the game at all.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Not the most exciting screenshot, but! It's a scripting language for designing bullet patterns in shmups! The script describes the emission pattern, and then there are separate functions ("affectors") which describe the bullets' behaviour once they're emitted. You can also import variables from the game into the script for more advanced patterns. For instance
code:
gun ClusterBomb
{
	affectors Explode(2, 400);

state Main
	{
		repeat 400
		{
			fireA(180, 100, 10);
		}
		wait(7);
	}
}

gun Tracker
{
	state Steady
	{
		repeat 200
		{
			fireT(Player_X, Player_Y, 0, 396, 10);
			wait(0.04);
		}
		wait(1);
		goto Erratic;
	}

state Erratic
	{
		repeat 200
		{
			offset = rand(10) - 5;
			fireT(Player_X, Player_Y, offset, 396, 10);
			wait(rand(0.1));
		}
		wait(1);
		goto Steady;
	}
}
And what's more, it's finished. You can get it here. Needs SDL to compile the test app. Should compile with minor modifications on linux, but I haven't got round to trying it yet.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

There, hacked up a shadow-softening technique.

Click here for the full 833x773 image.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jul 15, 2009

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

CanSpice posted:

Not really a screenshot but one of the output files:

That's a carbon monoxide map of the centre of the galaxy. My software generated that from raw data after about a day of processing. That map is about two degrees across, so four full moons could fit in there.

This is cool as hell.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

My afternoon project to salvage what would otherwise have been a productive day at work:

Click here for the full 824x1121 image.

An IRC bot that displays a random ASCII Art Farts image based on search criteria in the image "caption". Not that technically impressive, but it was a good excuse to use mmap (I learned about it in my OS class but never needed to use it) and Net:IRC (whereas in my previous bots I just used raw TCP sockets).

Judging by how quickly it got kickbanned from my regular channels, I'd say it was a rousing success :v:

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
If you ever want to flesh it out into something more, you may find POE::Component::IRC a bit nicer than Net::IRC

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

Dijkstracula posted:

My afternoon project to salvage what would otherwise have been a productive day at work:

Click here for the full 824x1121 image.

An IRC bot that displays a random ASCII Art Farts image based on search criteria in the image "caption". Not that technically impressive, but it was a good excuse to use mmap (I learned about it in my OS class but never needed to use it) and Net:IRC (whereas in my previous bots I just used raw TCP sockets).

Judging by how quickly it got kickbanned from my regular channels, I'd say it was a rousing success :v:
Very nice! ;)
Any chance you could hook me up with your source, I want to see how you used mmap.

Supervillin
Feb 6, 2005

Pillbug
The beginnings of a JavaScript isometric map generator (no canvas):

Click here for the full 1020x576 image.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Dijkstracula posted:

'Sup, roguelike buddy?

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

AgentF posted:

'Sup, roguelike buddy?

You made dungeonminder? :aaa:

Good job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wlievens
Nov 26, 2006

Supervillin posted:

The beginnings of a JavaScript isometric map generator (no canvas):

Click here for the full 1020x576 image.

I've done a couple of those too, but never went anywhere with them. What are you planning on making?