Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I saw them at Penny Arcade with Stitch Up, Swellers, and A Wilhelm Scream

The only enjoyably part of any of that was Dan Potthast calling a dude up from the crowd to play LA on guitar and the whole crowd, a couple hundred people, yelling the horn lines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
If a CD has "Please feel free to make copies of this for friends" does that mean I have grounds to upload it?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Probably

Just got back from the Fatter Than Albert/Stuck Lucky/A Billion Ernies show

Holy gently caress that's pretty much the best send-off I could have asked for

Plus I got the new Murphy's Kids album woot

E: Oh before I forget, 4point0's debut full length, The College Try, goes on sale on the 25th. It'll be on iTunes for sure and I think some other download sites. Not sure about eMusic. I'll be upping a sampler once I get a copy, kind of like I did with the EP

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 10, 2009

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Oh oh oh forgot to mention this and it's worth a double post:

Community Records' third Download Day is going to be July 30. List includes:

INFORMANT - Nothing Ever Changes
THE FLAMING TSUNAMIS - Zombies vs. Robots & Focus The Fury
A BILLION ERNIES - Collection of older tunes
THE ROOKS - New 8 Song Album
ARM THE POOR - Misery EP & newer stuffs
INFAMOUS JAKE & THE PINSTRIPE MAFIA - the beginning of the end

and possibly more stuff TBA

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

From the Mighty Mighty Bosstones twitter:
http://s332.photobucket.com/albums/m346/gittleman5/?action=view&current=photo.jpg

The master track list for the new record! 23 songs! :dance:

Also I just learned they are playing up in Hampton Beach on Aug 15th. That's my birthday. So going. So stoked.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Holy poo poo dude doing Receiving End Of It All on piano really well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O945QJRfpMs

Gentle Glide
Nov 12, 2007

boldly going places you like to think don't exist
saw streetlight manifesto in towson maryland. you guys had to have been there the energy was amazing

Saultine
Jul 14, 2009

It's just like a mini-mall!
Saw Streetlight Manifesto, Big D and the Kids Table, and Less Than Jake couple weeks ago on the Las Cruces, New Mexico leg of Warped Tour 09. All three bands put on a drat good show.

Less Than Jake's crowd was the biggest of the whole day. Made me happy to see such a badass ska band recognized for their greatness. They also played very well.

buttslave
Jun 8, 2007
Onwards and Upwards!

Saultine posted:

Less Than Jake's crowd was the biggest of the whole day. Made me happy to see such a badass ska band recognized for their greatness. They also played very well.

That's disappointing for me. San Antonio Less Than Jake sucked major rear end.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
:siren: Rx Bandits' new album Mandala available a week early for $3 from Amazon MP3, today only :siren:

It's Amazon MP3's deal of the day; sometimes those end up being available for a few days, but today is the only guaranteed day. I did my best to put SA's referral link in there. I'm not sure if it worked.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So a week or so ago there was a little bit of a fiasco involving the Aquabats. Basically they played a fest with a bunch of bands including Mustard Plug and We Are The Union, the promoter had made some promises she shouldn't have, and the 'bats ended up being the only ones getting paid (Community Records post about it

Lots of people cried foul and "sell-outs" (Matt loving Wixson) and then the Aquabats gave a chunk of their money back so that the other bands could get paid. They also made this statement for punknews

For those who don't click, it's basically "Our bad, but we're trying to make it right. If you still have problems we'll wrestle you...in the mud...in our speedos. And also we're still working on a new album"

God bless them

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

How much do you wanna bet that the Aquabats didn't even know the other people weren't getting paid until they were already gone?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Seeing as they gave a chunk of what they were paid to the other bands afterwards? Yeah that's what I'm thinking

Read the CR page though for Matt Wixson being the King Of The Scene again because it's hysterical

he wrote a song about it and then he played it when he was here last week with the CR tour and I'm pretty sure I shouted at him the whole time

E: lyrics to said song

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang

guppy posted:

:siren: Rx Bandits' new album Mandala available a week early for $3 from Amazon MP3, today only :siren:

It's Amazon MP3's deal of the day; sometimes those end up being available for a few days, but today is the only guaranteed day. I did my best to put SA's referral link in there. I'm not sure if it worked.

Thank you, sir. Thank you so much.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Dickeye posted:

Seeing as they gave a chunk of what they were paid to the other bands afterwards? Yeah that's what I'm thinking

Read the CR page though for Matt Wixson being the King Of The Scene again because it's hysterical

he wrote a song about it and then he played it when he was here last week with the CR tour and I'm pretty sure I shouted at him the whole time

Hahaha oh my god sour grapes much

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Obama Yo Mama posted:

Hahaha oh my god sour grapes much

I have no idea what you're saying here

unless you're making fun of Wixson which I approve of

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
The lyrics to that song are so absurdly hilarious. I would be embarrassed to play that song if I were Matt.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I swear to god he played it

He played it in the alley outside Funk n' Waffles in Syracuse between sets at the FTA/Stuck Lucky/ABE show

He redeemed himself like a minute later though by playing Vinyl Paradise and Zombies vs Robots

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I've never even heard of Matt Wixson before now but he sounds like a gigantic douchebag.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Red Red Blue posted:

I've never even heard of Matt Wixson before now but he sounds like a gigantic douchebag.

I'm not even talking about this from an "I don't like his music" standpoint

I don't but that's not why I dislike him

It's because he thinks he's Somebody. He posted in the skachilles thread about this and was just as big of a dickbag

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
I loving love Matt Wixson. He is one of the coolest dudes ever. No idea about his online doucheness or non doucheness though, but he is actually a kickass dude irl.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
hey what happened to you guys touring this summer

e: or at leas the 'cuse stop

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

Josh Wow posted:

I loving love Matt Wixson. He is one of the coolest dudes ever. No idea about his online doucheness or non doucheness though, but he is actually a kickass dude irl.

I'm going to have to agree with this. He was a really chill dude when I meant him.

FuzzyWuzzy
Jul 16, 2009
:dukedog:
My favorite Ska band has got to be Reel Big Fish, I also like some Less Than Jake :)

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Dickeye posted:

hahaha what a toolbag

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Dickeye posted:

hey what happened to you guys touring this summer

e: or at leas the 'cuse stop

Our stupid fuckin drummer was gonna get fired, and the rest of the guys didn't wanna do it with a fill in. Worst part is we probably won't get another chance to do an east coast tour until next spring since we're gonna try and hit west coast early next year and my job won't really let me tour this fall/winter.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Do it in the summer so I can finally see you guys while I'm home on break

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
Ugh I missed Big D yesterday at the Warped Tour, why did they have to go on so early?

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

gently caress Warped Tour. Warped just means nobody comes to Europe for the summer

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Earlier this morning, Streetlight Manifesto had a blog about why Tomas had a cast on his arm and a video to youtube, but the video was private then about an hour later the bulletin was deleted. :ninja:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TLG James posted:

Earlier this morning, Streetlight Manifesto had a blog about why Tomas had a cast on his arm and a video to youtube, but the video was private then about an hour later the bulletin was deleted. :ninja:

If I was ambitious I'd quote the post on skachilles about it but nope

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Dickeye posted:

If I was ambitious I'd quote the post on skachilles about it but nope
ffffffffffffffffffffffffff

quote:

So this is why Tomas is in a sling.....
The story (quoted from the YouTube description): so i was riding my bike around some botanical garden type thing a couple miles from the toronto warped show, hauling rear end down a hill when i came up on a baby deer on the asphalt path. it immediately started running away from me. naturally, i immediately started pedaling double time, to see if i could touch it. apparently i couldn't. the deer ran for a bit then shot to the right, into some brush. right around this point i held up my cellphone and hit record to see if i could at least get the little guy on video. as soon as he turned, my first instinct was to follow him, so i slammed on the brakes. unfortunately it was with the only hand i had on the bike, my left. left handlebar = front wheel brake. my front wheel locked up instantly, and i flew. literally, i flew. my bike followed suit. we both rolled around playfully on the asphalt a bit, just enough to cut me up decently on each of my gangly joints and to come to a nice stop on my chin and left elbow. i laid there, tangled in my bike for about 3 or 4 minutes, just spitting and grunting a bit, catching my breath. when i finally scraped myself off of the ground i looked across the small river i'd been riding next to, to see the little deer standing on the opposite bank, staring at me, ears perked up. when she saw that i was ok (or no longer a threat..?) she skipped away. i dragged myself to the river, cleaned off my wounds then went to look for my phone, which, when i found it 15 minutes later in the shrubs, was still recording a lovely blade of grass. i used it to find a nearby hospital where i was told i'd fractured my radial head (the ball in your elbow). awesome. so yeah, that's why i'm in a sling. the video is not very exciting, but the grunt i let out as soon as i begin my fall is pretty amusing. and you can see the baby deer in the upper left corner of the first 2 or 3 frames.

lesson learned. don't chase deer.

The video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoFYKrN1sWQ

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Every time I've talked to Matt Wixson he's been a real cool dude. I was in a ska band that played mostly in my hometown, and we played quite a few shows with Matt's brother, Bens Punk-Rock band Frank White.

I'm trying to get some another ska band going on, but no one drums where I am. Have every other drat piece, heh.
If anyone wants to check out the band, we had a couple recordings, it was pretty fun while it lasted.

http://www.myspace.com/cardsharksmusic

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Thorpe posted:

Every time I've talked to Matt Wixson he's been a real cool dude. I was in a ska band that played mostly in my hometown, and we played quite a few shows with Matt's brother, Bens Punk-Rock band Frank White.

I'm trying to get some another ska band going on, but no one drums where I am. Have every other drat piece, heh.
If anyone wants to check out the band, we had a couple recordings, it was pretty fun while it lasted.

http://www.myspace.com/cardsharksmusic

You could buy a drum machine for cheap. It isnt glamorous but it'd get the job done.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

dnz posted:

ffffffffffffffffffffffffff

I saw the video right as the bulletin was posted, it was a quick second of on a bike footage followed by a grunt and the camera goes spinning into some grass.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

dnz posted:

You could buy a drum machine for cheap. It isnt glamorous but it'd get the job done.

I actually found out a guitarist I've known for a bit can play drums, and pretty decent too. And got into contact with a kid who used to be in highschool jazz and plays trombone, and knows a couple other horns who like ska, so this turned out to be pretty awesome. Actually am missing only a guitarist now, which will be cake to find.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Just wanted to mention if you guys aren't constantly listening to Stuck Lucky's latest album Possum Soul you are very very dumb. Besides like 3 songs it is completely awesome and the drummer on it is this metal dude so you get mad double bass rolls sometimes!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What's that I can't hear you over the new Murphy's Kids looping with Fatter Than Albert interspersed for variety

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Fact: The guitarist for Murphy's Kids is over 8 ft tall! Also we crashed with him on our last east coast tour and one of his roommates came in and goes 'I'm gonna gently caress this shoe!' which was one of the guitarist's size 18 fuzzy slippers. Then he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Is he seriously that tall

If he is I'm going to be even more pissed I'm missing their 'cuse show this summer