Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
link to http://spreadsheets.google.com/phat_albert.doc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Cross posted from the SV650 thread.

Hey guys, I have a 2006 SV650S with a Full Yosh and a PCIII with about 6500 miles.

Recently I synced my throttle bodies and changed my oil. I drove the bike home that day and when I went to start it the next day it had a hell of a time idling and threw me the FI code. I took it back apart and resynced the TBs/made sure everything was tight and I got the light to go away. It still idles like crap though, and seems to be running rich. When I pulled the plugs they looked a little wet.

I've resynced the bike twice more now and I'm still having an erratic idle. It will idle at about 1.2-1.3k on start up and then once it gets warm it will idle at about 1.5k. I've also had it hang on idle, where if I'm moving under power and then clutch in it will hang at 2k for about five seconds before dropping back to about 1.5k.

I've had the PCIII on it for quite a while and it has always seemed fine. My options right now are the sync tool is bad and the TBs are not actually synced, something happened with my PCIII map, or something else. Any insight would be great. Thanks!

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

TheFonz posted:

Cross posted from the SV650 thread.

Hey guys, I have a 2006 SV650S with a Full Yosh and a PCIII with about 6500 miles.

Recently I synced my throttle bodies and changed my oil. I drove the bike home that day and when I went to start it the next day it had a hell of a time idling and threw me the FI code. I took it back apart and resynced the TBs/made sure everything was tight and I got the light to go away. It still idles like crap though, and seems to be running rich. When I pulled the plugs they looked a little wet.

I've resynced the bike twice more now and I'm still having an erratic idle. It will idle at about 1.2-1.3k on start up and then once it gets warm it will idle at about 1.5k. I've also had it hang on idle, where if I'm moving under power and then clutch in it will hang at 2k for about five seconds before dropping back to about 1.5k.

I've had the PCIII on it for quite a while and it has always seemed fine. My options right now are the sync tool is bad and the TBs are not actually synced, something happened with my PCIII map, or something else. Any insight would be great. Thanks!

How hard would it be to remove the inline connectors for the PCIII to rule that out?

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Easier if I still had the manual. It's take off side covers/seat/prop tank/remove airbox then try to remember what goes where.

edit:found an online manual, i'll try that now.

POWA COMMANDUH disconnected, same symptoms.

TheFonz fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 18, 2009

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Not exactly a technical question, but does anyone have any ideas where I could possibly find a set of OE hard bags for my bike? The ZR-7 has mounting points for hard bags, and apparently Kawasaki did sell a set that was meant to fit those, but I can't find any examples for sale (or even pictures :confused: )?

And before you ask, yes, I've seen the Givi bags, and no, I'd rather not buy them, as they use their own silly mounting racks that push the bags further back towards the tail end of the bike. I've got the mounting points, and want to use them (for something other than a bungee net), mmkay?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Sounds like the TBs still aren't done right. As my mechanic friend says, "If it's broke, what was the last thing you fixed?" :v:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
What's this part called/do? It has two wires going to it and then a cable going to the spark plug, one for each cylinder. Obviously it delivers power to the spark plug, but does it work like a capacitor to store a charge and smooth it out? Does it do something to ramp up the voltage?

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

It's pretty much the only thing I can't identify while digging around.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I have a question that is similar. If I stop my bike on a downhill slope, lets say at a stoplight, the engine chugs and I have to give it some gas to keep it from stalling. It also occurs when braking hard, which is a simulated downhill slope. I don't have any other issues with fuel delivery or anything except this. The amount of fuel in my tank makes no difference, it happens if I am on reserve or on my first mile on a full tank. Any clues? It's a GS500.
Well, my guess is that it's fuel related. And under hard braking, or down a hill, your float levels are getting screwed up. You could try lowering your float levels a little, or just living with it. If it runs well at all other times, I'd just live with it.

Lowering your floats a little may improve gas mileage as well. But it could also reduce power. ;-) I wouldn't do it.

speaking of which, I need to do the pilot screws on my bike. Damned thing won't start when warm.

Uthor posted:

What's this part called/do? It has two wires going to it and then a cable going to the spark plug, one for each cylinder. Obviously it delivers power to the spark plug, but does it work like a capacitor to store a charge and smooth it out? Does it do something to ramp up the voltage?

It's called a coil. It's a special type of transformer that steps up the 12v of your electrical system to 15-30,000v for your spark plugs. In your case, it looks like a CDI coil... How much detail do you want?

axia
Nov 15, 2005

The future is now.
I think I already know the answer to this but: Its been roughly 2 or 3 months since I've ridden my DRz 400s. I went to start it a couple of days ago, and it will only start with the choke all the way out (it has 3 positions). If I push in the choke while its running, and keep giving it throttle, it runs, but it pops and backfires a lot. Also, the exhaust has an odd smell to it, but 2 months seems too short for gas to go bad (also, its kept in a garage, so no water or outside contaminants).

Does it just seem like a clogged carb?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

axia posted:

I think I already know the answer to this but: Its been roughly 2 or 3 months since I've ridden my DRz 400s. I went to start it a couple of days ago, and it will only start with the choke all the way out (it has 3 positions). If I push in the choke while its running, and keep giving it throttle, it runs, but it pops and backfires a lot. Also, the exhaust has an odd smell to it, but 2 months seems too short for gas to go bad (also, its kept in a garage, so no water or outside contaminants).

Does it just seem like a clogged carb?

Yup, get to cleaning. It's popping a lot because it's lean, and it's lean because the pilot jet is clogged. You should be able to see light through the pilot jet, if you can't, it's clogged. The choke richens things up enough for it to start and idle.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Nerobro posted:

It's called a coil. It's a special type of transformer that steps up the 12v of your electrical system to 15-30,000v for your spark plugs. In your case, it looks like a CDI coil... How much detail do you want?

That's about all I wanted to know. Thanks.

axia
Nov 15, 2005

The future is now.

Z3n posted:

Yup, get to cleaning. It's popping a lot because it's lean, and it's lean because the pilot jet is clogged. You should be able to see light through the pilot jet, if you can't, it's clogged. The choke richens things up enough for it to start and idle.

Thanks z3n, any tips on cleaning it? If the pilot jet is clogged, will normal carb cleaning spray take care of it, or might it need a good soaking?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

axia posted:

Thanks z3n, any tips on cleaning it? If the pilot jet is clogged, will normal carb cleaning spray take care of it, or might it need a good soaking?

You need to take the jet out of the carb and blow some aerosol carb cleaner through it, then run a thin metal wire through it if its still blocked.

Soaking wont help much.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

So my 1979 CB750 has been acting oddly. It warms up as well as it used to (this takes roughly 5-8 minutes, the last 90% of which requires leaving the choke infinitismally closed), but there are a lot of surges.

What I mean by this is that if I apply constant throttle, the bike will go that speed and SURGE even out SURGE even out. It's not that it's really accelerating too much, but it makes low speed maneuvers a bit annoying.

The carbs were cleaned and sync'd a year ago, valves are in spec. I was thinking (and hopefully this is it) maybe the clutch isn't engaging fully? I had adjusted it recently... I would think that maybe if it's not totally engaged, that might cause a fluctuation in what power's getting to the wheels.

Otherwise, it may be an air leak or something, and I'm just not looking forward to that at all. I went through that process last year, and I'm completely sick of it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Shlomo Palestein posted:

So my 1979 CB750 has been acting oddly. It warms up as well as it used to (this takes roughly 5-8 minutes, the last 90% of which requires leaving the choke infinitismally closed), but there are a lot of surges.

What I mean by this is that if I apply constant throttle, the bike will go that speed and SURGE even out SURGE even out. It's not that it's really accelerating too much, but it makes low speed maneuvers a bit annoying.

The carbs were cleaned and sync'd a year ago, valves are in spec. I was thinking (and hopefully this is it) maybe the clutch isn't engaging fully? I had adjusted it recently... I would think that maybe if it's not totally engaged, that might cause a fluctuation in what power's getting to the wheels.

Otherwise, it may be an air leak or something, and I'm just not looking forward to that at all. I went through that process last year, and I'm completely sick of it.

Sounds like you're running lean. Could either be an air leak or your carbs could be minorly gummed up.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

I'll turn the pilots out another 1/4 turn; the bike takes so long to warm up I can't help but think this'll help all around. I'll do the spray carb cleaner all over the place thing too :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Shlomo Palestein posted:

I'll turn the pilots out another 1/4 turn; the bike takes so long to warm up I can't help but think this'll help all around. I'll do the spray carb cleaner all over the place thing too :(

Well, if your pilot jets have been varnished mostly shut, as can happen sometimes, just spraying carb cleaner through it won't help...You'll need to run some sort of wire through it. I've used everything from wire brush strands to guitar string. This is why people will say they've "cleaned their carbs", but their bike still runs like crap. Sometimes the varnish is just too built up.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Z3n posted:

Well, if your pilot jets have been varnished mostly shut, as can happen sometimes, just spraying carb cleaner through it won't help...You'll need to run some sort of wire through it. I've used everything from wire brush strands to guitar string. This is why people will say they've "cleaned their carbs", but their bike still runs like crap. Sometimes the varnish is just too built up.

Oh I know, I meant the test where you spray carb cleaner on the intake tubes and listen to see if the idle changes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Shlomo Palestein posted:

Oh I know, I meant the test where you spray carb cleaner on the intake tubes and listen to see if the idle changes.

Oh. Personally, I'd use wd40 instead. Less chance of rotting rubber :)

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Z3n posted:

Sounds like the TBs still aren't done right. As my mechanic friend says, "If it's broke, what was the last thing you fixed?" :v:

Yea, I ordered a new Carb sync tool.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm hearing some noise coming from my engine (I think). It sounds like a sewing machine and seems to be coming from the valves on the right cylinder. It increases with RPMs. I took the valve cover off and adjusted everything to the loose side of the tolerances. I changed the oil and coolant while I was at it. The spark plugs are the originals with 13,000 miles, but they look good and are gapped correctly. The sewing machine noise is still there.

Maybe I'm just hearing a noise that I didn't notice before, but it being louder on one side of the engine makes me think it's something new. It's loud enough for my friend to mention it when we were riding around town together.

Kawasaki 500cc parallel twin engine.

Instead of getting Kawasaki's valve adjustment tool (about $40), I got a $20 set of pass through sockets and a thin screwdriver. Works well and useful for things other than adjusting valves.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Took it for a long ride, and I'm not sure what it is. It's sort of warmed up by ten minutes, and after twenty, it's more or less perfectly fine above 10% throttle. Below that, no matter the rev range, it's very touchy.

I'm thinking the damned jets have clogged up slightly in at least one of the carbs. Dammit.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Uthor posted:

I'm hearing some noise coming from my engine (I think). It sounds like a sewing machine and seems to be coming from the valves on the right cylinder. It increases with RPMs. I took the valve cover off and adjusted everything to the loose side of the tolerances. I changed the oil and coolant while I was at it. The spark plugs are the originals with 13,000 miles, but they look good and are gapped correctly. The sewing machine noise is still there.

Maybe I'm just hearing a noise that I didn't notice before, but it being louder on one side of the engine makes me think it's something new. It's loud enough for my friend to mention it when we were riding around town together.

Kawasaki 500cc parallel twin engine.

Instead of getting Kawasaki's valve adjustment tool (about $40), I got a $20 set of pass through sockets and a thin screwdriver. Works well and useful for things other than adjusting valves.

I can't remember: Is the cam chain on the right side of that engine?

Shlomo, does it go away if you crack the choke open while riding? Easy way to check if it's running rich or lean.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost
I'm asking this for a friend who's bike is behaving strangely. It's a '97 or '98 Honda Shadow V-1100 (V-twin, shaft drive, recent clutch, completely stock, decent maintenance, but well over 100k miles).

According to him, if he's getting on it in 3rd gear it thunks twice as he comes up through 3500rpm. It feels like it "drops out" and it only happens twice in about a second. The interesting part is that it only happens in 3rd gear under load. It doesn't happen in 1st or 2nd, and he claims that if he's not trying to push it he generally shifts before 3500rpm.

The only thing I can think of is something in the driveshaft or rear-end is doing it, but the fact that it doesn't happen in 1st or 2nd has me puzzled. Any ideas?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Cam chain is right in the middle. The acoustics may be making it seem like it's coming from the right side. I haven't touched that at all since I bought the bike, if that makes a difference.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

mungtor posted:

I'm asking this for a friend who's bike is behaving strangely. It's a '97 or '98 Honda Shadow V-1100 (V-twin, shaft drive, recent clutch, completely stock, decent maintenance, but well over 100k miles).

According to him, if he's getting on it in 3rd gear it thunks twice as he comes up through 3500rpm. It feels like it "drops out" and it only happens twice in about a second. The interesting part is that it only happens in 3rd gear under load. It doesn't happen in 1st or 2nd, and he claims that if he's not trying to push it he generally shifts before 3500rpm.

The only thing I can think of is something in the driveshaft or rear-end is doing it, but the fact that it doesn't happen in 1st or 2nd has me puzzled. Any ideas?

Sounds like he may be in the process of losing 3rd gear. Abuse and normal wear over the course of 100k miles can cause that. He won't hurt anything by just shifting through it, although it'll eventually get worse. Each time the tranmission slips, it's wearing out a bit more of the engagement dogs. The solution is to tear it down and rebuild 3rd and the gear 3rd engages against, or just skip 3rd/be gental on the throttle.

Uthor posted:

Cam chain is right in the middle. The acoustics may be making it seem like it's coming from the right side. I haven't touched that at all since I bought the bike, if that makes a difference.

Well, the valves are going to make more noise when they're loose, so that could be part of it. Use a screwdriver as a stethoscope and try and isolate exactly where it's coming from. Could just be a loose screw or panel rattling around.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Noobie question, going around corners.

I can do fine at low speeds, but I'm struggling to lean around a corner at any decent speed, 50-60km/h or more. (I'm Australian, so work your own MPH out) I understand the physics of it, and I think alot of it is lack of confidence, any tips?

The roads around here are pretty poor, and feeling a bumpwhile it's on a lean freaks me out a litte, plus I've felt the back sliding around a little bit as well

Oh, the bike is a Honda CBR250 if that makes a difference.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Rudager posted:

I can do fine at low speeds, but I'm struggling to lean around a corner at any decent speed, 50-60km/h or more. (I'm Australian, so work your own MPH out) I understand the physics of it, and I think alot of it is lack of confidence, any tips?

The roads around here are pretty poor, and feeling a bumpwhile it's on a lean freaks me out a litte, plus I've felt the back sliding around a little bit as well

Set up before the corner. So move your arse on to the edge of the seat, set your feet in proper position, then as you push on the inside bar to steer into the corner drop your shoulder. Also, really turn your head into the corner purposefully. Not just a little, really exaggerate it. As for bouncing and sliding over bumps, well, the ol' CB250 isn't going to be that great over them, but the best thing you can do is not stiffen up and just let the bike do it's thing. If you hold your throttle and steering steady the bike should continue over whatever's knocked it around and settle down, then you can correct your line. Whereabouts are you riding?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Set up before the corner. So move your arse on to the edge of the seat, set your feet in proper position, then as you push on the inside bar to steer into the corner drop your shoulder. Also, really turn your head into the corner purposefully. Not just a little, really exaggerate it. As for bouncing and sliding over bumps, well, the ol' CB250 isn't going to be that great over them, but the best thing you can do is not stiffen up and just let the bike do it's thing. If you hold your throttle and steering steady the bike should continue over whatever's knocked it around and settle down, then you can correct your line. Whereabouts are you riding?

Yeah, I'm pretty stiff on the seat which is probaly a decent chunk of the problem, I do the head turn thing, just keep practising I guess.

For now I'm just cruising little back roads around here, I live out in the country in northern NSW. Since it's up in the hills there's plenty of little twisty bits, and plenty of quiet roads, it's just they're a bit bumpy.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Rudager posted:

When were your tires last replaced, what year were they made in, and what pressures are you running?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Wasn't sure if this should go here or under the riding gear thread.
How many people have extra gear for passengers? If someone wants a ride, do you have extra helmets or jackets for them?

What is the minimum gear you require for a passenger? Also, if I give someone a ride, am I liable it they are injured in an accident and I don't make them where a helmet?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If someone wants a ride and they dont have gear, then the answer is no.

I would never even consider carrying extra gear for the chance that someone might want a ride. The idea seems ridiculous to me.

Armyman25 posted:

What is the minimum gear you require for a passenger? Also, if I give someone a ride, am I liable it they are injured in an accident and I don't make them where a helmet?

You are liable even if they are wearing gear. You're driving. They can still sue you no matter what.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 21, 2009

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
I'm not suggesting carrying an extra set of gear everywhere, just wondering how many riders have such at their home? I'd wager not many, as most people where I'm from don't even bother with a helmet.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Armyman25 posted:

I'm not suggesting carrying an extra set of gear everywhere, just wondering how many riders have such at their home? I'd wager not many, as most people where I'm from don't even bother with a helmet.

I've got spare helmets, and some spare gear floating around.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have my wifes gear, and my old helmet and jacket.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I'm not going to buy poo poo that I'm not going to wear. I might have some hand-me-downs laying around which they are welcome to use but that's it.

Not that I know people that want to ride 2 up, but still..

Rudager posted:

You could also try to tuck your elbows in. Every time I feel the bike turning heavy or just running wide for no reason, it is because my arms are locked up and tense.

Rudager posted:

The roads around here are pretty poor, and feeling a bump while it's on a lean freaks me out a litte, plus I've felt the back sliding around a little bit as well

Yeah, lost of folks are scared as soon as the bike leans into a corner, tense up, ruining a smooth, forgiving ride. Now the back sliding around could mean that your tires are poo poo or that you are too focused on not killing yourself instead of letting the bike do its thing. :)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Armyman25 posted:

Wasn't sure if this should go here or under the riding gear thread.
How many people have extra gear for passengers? If someone wants a ride, do you have extra helmets or jackets for them?

I have extra gear for me, that someone who happens to be my size could borrow, but I ain't gaying it up by carrying a guy. My GF has her own gear.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
This may have come up before, but are all foam ear plugs the same? A quick search of amazon brings this up: Milwaukee 49-17-3100 Bulk Box of 200 Disposable Earplugs. Would these be suitable, or are there other features, sizes, or specs I might want to look for?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think they're all kind of the same. I just use generic hunters earplugs from Wal-Mart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Every year or two, I spend $8 on a package of 200 earplugs from ebay. I seek out the 29/32 db ones.