Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Ogianres posted:

-If you want to do the Saint achievement, disregard the previous statements: you NEED the Real Mega Buster and/or triple-booked chainsaws. I don't care what anyone else says, get both of these items if you can.

I've honestly never understood why people are so insistent on this. Admittedly I didn't do Saint without playing the game all the way through first, but I've gotten the achievement twice now and both times I started with a level 1 Frank. The first time I did use a triple booked saw, but the second I didn't.

For my own part I'll say this, for people who've always heard how great Baldur's Gate 2 is and want to try for themselves.

- If you've never played a D&D game before, or even if you just haven't played second edition before, this game is going to kick your rear end initially. Over, and over, and over. Try to stick with it, it's worth it.

- Enemy spellcasters are one of the biggest possible threats out there. Always carry around ways to dispel protective magic. If you don't have any, rest and memorize new spells. You should ALWAYS have things like Breach or Ruby Ray ready to go.

- Don' be afraid to rest in hostile areas. In fact, you should rest as soon as you even begin to think you might need it. If you wait too long and rest when you're seriously hurting, you may get interrupted by monsters that can now easily finish you.

- This is especially relevant if you've only ever played RPGs like Final Fantasy: Spells exist for more than making things go boom or healing in D&D. Be creative. Clever use of certain buffs or situational abilities can turn the tide in your favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Brocktoon posted:

Any general advice for Marvel Ultimate Alliance? And more specifically, when should I be attempting the solo simulation levels? I'm level 9 and am getting raped by the bosses on Capt America, Wolverine and Iron Man.

Make sure you're equipping any gear you've got. You can swap it out and sell it later, but if you're finding it tough, gear will help

Try different characters if you're having trouble with a boss.

I think the sim levels level with you, so while you'll find it a bit easier when you've got more powers, the reward for getting a silver medal - which isn't too hard - is most useful at early levels (+1 to each stat)

Money is only used for buying powers and costume stats. Costume stats are probably the best use of your money.

If you're still having trouble with a boss, some of them can be cheesed by using Spiderwoman, flying and spamming charged Venom Blast.

Also, if you want to unlock stuff, when you get the first mission of Act 2 (teleports you to Doom's Castle) check it very carefully, there's a couple of sim disks in the first area that you can't go back to if you miss them. You need all the sim disks to unlock all the characters.

Lastly, if you're playing on PC, the character mod here http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=3380.0 can add in the additional characters from the other consoles. It's pretty easy to install, although you should back your game up first just in case.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Backhand posted:

- Enemy spellcasters are one of the biggest possible threats out there. Always carry around ways to dispel protective magic. If you don't have any, rest and memorize new spells. You should ALWAYS have things like Breach or Ruby Ray ready to go.

Do yourself a favour and check out the BG2 thread here on the forum for some excellent tips on the mechanics of mage-battles. There's a point in the game where you simply need to learn the right process for defeating enemy spellcasters, and until you do you will lose almost every battle where there's a mage present. Don't let this deter you! Just figure out the right sequence of spells you need to cast.

Backhand posted:

- Don' be afraid to rest in hostile areas. In fact, you should rest as soon as you even begin to think you might need it. If you wait too long and rest when you're seriously hurting, you may get interrupted by monsters that can now easily finish you.

I'm a firm believer in save-scumming or whatever the kids are calling it nowadays. Quick-save before you rest, and quick-load if your rest is interrupted by enemies. Roughly 50% of hostile areas will spawn enemies 100% of the time, and you'll quickly learn that you can't rest there. The other 50% percent of areas should be exploited for those times when enemies don't spawn to regain health without wasting spells.

Some more general BG2 pointers:
- Learn what Level Drain is, what it does, and who causes it. Level draining can only be CURED by a restoration spell (which divine spellcasters have access to, and which can also be purchased at temples or in scroll format). Level draining can only be PREVENTED by the divine spell “Negative Plane Protection” (which only affects one character and lasts for a short time) or by wielding certain items which confer the same effect. Be sure you have access to at least one and preferably all of these options if you choose to side with the Shadow Thieves in Athkatla.
- Get weapons which deal fire or acid damage as soon as you can (this includes ammo with those effects). Trolls will quickly become a constant nuisance, and they can only be dispatched by those effects. Try not to waste spells on killing trolls.
- Learn what monsters are immune to what weapons and what types of damage, and plan ahead. Specifically, make sure you're prepared to take on Clay, Iron and Adamantium Golems, Rakshasas, mummies, ghouls, and skeletons. For enemies with high magic resistance, always keep a few Lower Resistance spells memorized. In BG2's late game and in most of ToB, you'll also want to keep a variety of non-magical weapons, as they'll be the only things which can hurt Magic Golems.
- Always set your thief's script to the "adventurer" script, as it will have him auto-detect traps whenever he isn't in combat. If your thief is an assassin, set him so that he auto-stealths.
- Ranged attacks become increasingly devasting as your charactrs increase in level. Make sure every member of your party has a ranged weapon they can use, and employ these strategically. If you are being rushed by a group of enemies, have your whole party switch to ranged attacks before the mob reaches you to soften them up or take out an enemy or two before they get too close.
- Learn to use the autopause function. Mine is set to pause when an enemy is sighted and when a target is destroyed. This will be annoying 5% of the time and enormously useful for the other 95%. It lets you target enemies with a ranged attack when they're barely visible on screen, or before you've even noticed their presence. It's also useful for getting the jump on enemy mages before they can throw up too many protections.

Astfgl fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 5, 2009

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Ended up getting a windfall of games. Anyone got some tips for Red Faction: Guerilla, Prototype, Arma 2 or Forza 2 (plus tips for the Microsoft Wheel, which I also got)?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Astfgl posted:

- Learn to use the autopause function. Mine is set to pause when an enemy is sighted and when a target is destroyed. This will be annoying 5% of the time and enormously useful for the other 95%. It lets you target enemies with a ranged attack when they're barely visible on screen, or before you've even noticed their presence. It's also useful for getting the jump on enemy mages before they can throw up too many protections.

It's also a good idea to auto-pause on spell cast, in order to maximize the use of your spells, especially where improved alacrity/timestop are concerned.

Also, note that the Wild Mage's special level 1 spell effectively has improved alacrity ALL THE TIME.

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.
I just ordered the Wii version of Phantom Brave, having played through a good chunk of it on the PS2 before my copy of the game and my memory card were stolen. I have a vague memory of the mechanics (there are titles, and they're important?), but none of the specifics. A reminder of the basics would be great.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

opaopa13 posted:

I just ordered the Wii version of Phantom Brave, having played through a good chunk of it on the PS2 before my copy of the game and my memory card were stolen. I have a vague memory of the mechanics (there are titles, and they're important?), but none of the specifics. A reminder of the basics would be great.

I don't know if there are any differences between the PS2 and Wii versions, so all this relates to PS2.

Anyone besides Marona needs to be summoned using an item, be it a rock, tree, weapon, etc. The type of item used affects their stats; a rock increases the unit's defense at the cost of speed.

Titles also affect stats. The (made up) title "awesome" might increase all stats by 10% or whatever, while the (real) title Failure decreases all stats by 80%. Most titles will increase some stats and decrease others in amounts under 10%, unless leveled up at a Dungeon Monk.

A DM will generate a random dungeon named by random characters. As you progress in the dungeon, all percentages will increase, making negatives less negative and positives more positive. However, every enemy in the dungeon uses that title, so they get all the relevant stat bonuses. Example, the dungeon "opaopa13" might increase Strength by 10%. As you go down, you eventually get it up to +30%. Now every enemy in that dungeon has +30%. You can use a "Titlist" to transfer titles among items, dungeons, and characters.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

opaopa13 posted:

Most important thing to know about Phantom Brave:
Everything on the map can be used as a weapon. Even characters.
Every item/weapon/character will augment the stats of whoever picks it up and grant their abilities to the person holding it/them.

You can use a fusionist to fuse abilities from items/weapons/characters to items/weapons/characters

Your phantoms can be confined to just about anything. Try to confine them to items that get protection bonuses. (You'll see arrows pointing toward the item that gives bonuses).

Sometime enemies are granted protection from items. Destroy the item the lines come from to weaken the enemies.

You can keep items on the ground by confining a phantom to it, when they expire by running out of turns they'll have a chance to take it back to your island. The chance to steal is listed when you confine. It's usually not worth disarming enemies to take their weapons.

Pile up as much stuff on Marona's roof as you can to get yourself a bottlemail. They're hard to get otherwise, and they have a high steal rate.

Marona's speed is very important. As it will determine how often she can act and bring people into battle.

The weapons your phantoms carry into battle count toward the number of people you can summon. It takes a lot of work to bring some one up to the point where they don't need weapons.

If your phantoms do get KO'd you can use the items they brought into battle to confine something else, for better stats than the scenery.

There are 7 types of abilities, and a different type of skill points for each ability type. Physical SP cannot be used to perform magic attacks.

SP is going to be the limiting factor in the usefulness of your characters. Raise your character's SP by using abilities of the type you're trying to raise. Each character's SP grows at a different rate depending on their proficiencies. Factor in attack type proficiencies and the stat an attack is based on when selecting weapons.

Unlike other NIS games there aren't really tiers for human classes. You can give characters a huge boost through title management.

You open new classes by defeating them in battle. Human classes only need to be defeated once, while some monsters need to be killed many times.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I just bought Disgaea on the DS and could use some general purpose tips on it, as it actually seems much harder than I anticipated. Is there any good way to level up healers? If I'm understanding the system correctly, characters only get xp for kills, and as such Laharl is level 9 and my cleric is level 2.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
The simplest way, however it relies on a bit of luck, is to put your cleric next to Laharl when he lands the killing blow. If they do a team up attack, your cleric will get XP too.

A much better way is to use your Cleric to make a mage/skull of some sort. If your cleric is next to your mage/skull, your Cleric can use their base spell (so if you make a Fire mage, your cleric can use the base Fire spell). When you level that up past level 1, you can use it without having to stand next to that mage. At that point, it's easy to land killing blows.

An even more complicated way is to go into item world and get all the bonuses on a floor, usually by doing a complete Geo Panel chain. There's bound to be some +EXP bonuses in there.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Backhand posted:

I just bought Disgaea on the DS and could use some general purpose tips on it, as it actually seems much harder than I anticipated. Is there any good way to level up healers? If I'm understanding the system correctly, characters only get xp for kills, and as such Laharl is level 9 and my cleric is level 2.
I suggest you hold off on really leveling healers until your mages get level two spells. The early magic gets obsolete quickly and you will be combining monsters to get faster levels on Geo Panels with EXP.

Mecha Labrador
Apr 13, 2006

Ahm a Houn' Dawg, AWOOO!
Okay, having just gotten the secret Cache from Threedog in Fallout 3, the path I took was:

1: Head towards GNR, meeting the Lion's Pride, and fighting the Behemoth. This is a cool sequence, and nets you a Fatman.
2: Accept Threedog's quest to collect and fix the dish at the Washington Monument.
3: Follow the quest line, and retrieve the lander dish from the Museum of Technology.
4: Head to the Monument, but don't go in. Just put it on your fast-travel map.
5: Now head to Rivet City. Hell, if you put off the main quest for a while, you've probably already been there.
6: Talk to Dr. Li in the Science Labs. She tells you where to go to find your dad. This puts the next quest, Scientific Pursuits on your Pipboy. GNR is still an active quest.
7: Fast travel back to Threedog, and explain that you already have the info you need. He offers you a bonus if you finish the job.
8: Fast travel to the monument, and finish putting up the new dish.
9: Back to Threedog again, and he gives you the key to his stash. GNR quest completes, achievement unlocked. Commence dancing.
10: Head to Hamilton's Hideaway near Arefu (if you did the Blood Ties quest, you might have been here already). Head to the NE corner, unlock door, claim phat loot, including a Mini-Nuke and a 'Guns and Bullets' skill book.

As someone already said, passing the inital speech check with Threedog probably cuts out a lot of this, but if you can't pass the check, or you're past the point you can try, this method works fine. It's not really worth all the effort, honestly, unless you're a completionist. Which I am. Horribly so.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Capsaicin posted:

The simplest way, however it relies on a bit of luck, is to put your cleric next to Laharl when he lands the killing blow. If they do a team up attack, your cleric will get XP too.

A much better way is to use your Cleric to make a mage/skull of some sort. If your cleric is next to your mage/skull, your Cleric can use their base spell (so if you make a Fire mage, your cleric can use the base Fire spell). When you level that up past level 1, you can use it without having to stand next to that mage. At that point, it's easy to land killing blows.

An even more complicated way is to go into item world and get all the bonuses on a floor, usually by doing a complete Geo Panel chain. There's bound to be some +EXP bonuses in there.

Have they taken out the crazy easy power levelling levels in this version?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Kin posted:

Have they taken out the crazy easy power levelling levels in this version?

The DS version has two levels designed for power leveling. Both a group of 9 enemies on EXP+ squares.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Swiss Army Knife posted:

Ended up getting a windfall of games. Anyone got some tips for Red Faction: Guerilla, Prototype, Arma 2 or Forza 2 (plus tips for the Microsoft Wheel, which I also got)?

The most obvious one for Prototype is that you're probably being far sneakier than you need to be. Short of actually attacking anyone (several times), taking off your disguise, or being around the viral detectors long enough no one actually notices or cares what you do, even if you're flying around or walking on walls.

Also when you get it, the Whipfist makes stealing vehicles trivial with its long distance grab.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

CloseFriend posted:

EDIT: Found this on Final Fantasy VII from much earlier in the thread.

Dunno if that's implying it's the first time you can get White Wind, but you can get it from the Zemzelett near Junon as soon as you get Manipulate, which I think is when you get Cait Sith?

Not sure what else to say about FFVII, I wouldn't say it needs a guide but then I've played it to death. Though it'd definitely be useful for the sidequests.

Also when you get to the boss in the big scary temple, use the back row!

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

opaopa13 posted:

Phantom Brave

Thanks! I seem to remember a bunch of those mechanics not being explained early on. The only specific things I could remember were flinging myself all around the ice levels, looking for that perfect ricochet, and using a mine cart attack with a fish.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!
So how about Ring of Red on PS2? I'm a little over 4 hours in, but haven't gotten a handle on a couple things. Such as a good use for light AFWs. John is ripping poo poo up in his 4-leg AFW and 2x homing shot support, but I can't seem to find any good crew combinations for my 2 light and 2 normal AFWs. I tried casting one in an anti-infantry role, but it wasn't especially effective.

Also Capcom Fighting Evolution, PS2. I loved Darkstalkers 3 and this feels clunky and stiff in comparison. The instructions say the D3 characters can chain combo, but I can't find the timing for more than 2 hits. The whole game in general feels unresponsive.

I suck at fighting games.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Some unsolicited advice, just because I just beat it so I'm knowledgeable about it for the next 8 hours or so.

Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
· X's capsules have been moved around for this version, although the stages that had capsules before should still contain them.
· You know those blocks that you can headbutt with the head upgrade? You can also destroy them by wall-sliding on them and then jumping off.
· Vile's game starts much harder than it ends. Once you beat a boss or two the game gets easier. If you know which weapons to equip, the entire endgame is pretty easy.
· The Sub-Tank in Storm Eagle's stage and the heart in Armored Armadillo's stage are such gigantic pains in the rear end that you should consider skipping them. You can beat the 8 Robot Masters with no hearts or Sub-Tanks (in fact, I did), and for the final three stages missing a heart or a Sub-Tank won't hurt you that bad.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 7, 2009

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Alright, I'm starting Persona 3: FES and I probably won't get around to properly getting into it for a few days cos I'm terrible at managing time when it comes to games, so any advice?. Not entirely sure if it's been in this thread, read the entire thing but my memory is awful. I've played P4 so I'm not entirely new to the series.

Also if anyone wants to comment on Dragon Quest VIII too, that's on my to-play list as well!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

snolly posted:

Alright, I'm starting Persona 3: FES and I probably won't get around to properly getting into it for a few days cos I'm terrible at managing time when it comes to games, so any advice?. Not entirely sure if it's been in this thread, read the entire thing but my memory is awful. I've played P4 so I'm not entirely new to the series.

Also if anyone wants to comment on Dragon Quest VIII too, that's on my to-play list as well!

-Find a few social links you like and stick to them until they are maxed out.
-Go to Tartarus at least once a week
-Register your personas every chance you get and fuse them whenever you can, but make sure you have a persona of each element.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

blackguy32 posted:

-Register your personas every chance you get and fuse them whenever you can, but make sure you have a persona of each element.

I thought the generally accepted strategy was to never register any persona unless its one you really utilize or it obtained a unique skill somehow. That way you always have the lowest level, and therefore cheapest, version in your compendium saving you ridiculous amounts of money if you need fusion fodder. Money you could run into issues it, but levelling was always retardedly easy.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

-Find a few social links you like and stick to them until they are maxed out.
-Go to Tartarus at least once a week

- If you're not going to Tarturus, go to the mall in the evening to do character stat-boosting activities (in exchange for $$$), and then study afterwards (unless you're too tired).

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

snolly posted:

Do all the requests, and check them frequently!

Don't worry about getting tired, it stops being a problem after the earliest parts of the game.

Return to the beginning and save at every single boss floor, no matter what. The tower bosses are far and away harder than the plot bosses and will wreck your poo poo far more often, so don't get discouraged by having to go at them more than a few times.

Carry a matching arcana persona when you do S.Links, you don't need to equip it, and you can just use/get the lowest level one from the compendium.

Do S.links during the day, and use night to get your stats up, don't worry about doing them during the day. The Karaoke and Coffee are available at night, and the game center has options for them too.

Study every night, and if you're tired, visit the doctor at school, it'll buff up your courage.

quote:

Put Hero and Yangus' points into Fisticuffs until they get Thin Air (42). You don't get much really great benefit for a while, and will still want to use weapons most of the time early on, but it's worth it for the one ability. After that, head down one of their weapons--which is mostly a factor of which ones you like the most, but Spears and Axes respectively let you power level best on metal slimes later on and both are pretty good weapons.

Their spell lines are garbage--BUT, you want to get Yangus to 4 Humanity at some point, probably before or around the cockblock boss, so you can learn Whistle to level up with a bit less tedium. You can also take Hero's Courage to 8 early on, if traveling bugs you, to learn Zoom, but Angelo learns it on his own, so it's up to you if you want to wait to learn that.

For Jessica, you probably want to dump full on into Staves, and then Sex Appeal after that, her weapons are kinda garbage, but if you want to do one, do whips, but you won't really need much crowd control once Hero/Yangus get Thin Air. You get a lot more mileage out of Staves, though, including a really nice free heal--she's gonna be a caster even if you insist on grabbing whips.

Angelo's only useful line is bows, and they're also his best weapons bar none. The 100 skill is useless, though, so just go to 88, and after that, just go up Charisma, since there's not much else to do.

There's a mid-game boss fight that is a really really awful difficulty spike. You'll probably get to it around 23-24 and it's not really feasible to beat until around 30. Suck it up, it's not terribly hard, and there's a full restorative spring right by him. Put your money in the bank before you fight him, though, and if you beat his first form, suck the loss up, because if you go back you'll only have to fight the second form.

I could probably go on and on, but I'm already getting into the territory of stuff you don't really need to start.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
In FFVII, when Yuffie steals all your Materia in Wutai is it possible to just leave Wutai and continue the game without it?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I seem to remember that Jessica's weapon from the casino is one of the best weapons in the game for anybody.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Capsaicin posted:

I seem to remember that Jessica's weapon from the casino is one of the best weapons in the game for anybody.

Yeah, but at that point, you're probably getting into endgame territory, and unless you're doing the gigantic extra quest at the end, is kind of unnecessary. Also, at that point, most point distribution advice that applies to the main game becomes irrelevant.

But also, sex appeal is so worthless that you could probably just dump into whips after staves instead and never miss it, and get the best of both.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

In FFVII, when Yuffie steals all your Materia in Wutai is it possible to just leave Wutai and continue the game without it?

I don't thiiiiink so, though it's been a while since I played that, but I remember having a save where I was underlevelled in Wutai and completely stuck. Think it might possibly be possible to not enter Wutai after she nicks it and continue on, though.

Thanks for the P3 and DQVIII advice, people! Gonna get started on P3 this evening I think.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

I just came across Star Ocean: The Second Story in my game shelf and havent played it in a very long time.

Any particularly fun ways to break the poo poo out of it? Advice in general would also be appreciated.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

snolly posted:

Alright, I'm starting Persona 3: FES

When you finish your activity that uses up your day or afternoon time slot, you can leave the house again and do a few stat raising things in the city. I think I played through the first 1/4 of the game without knowing about that.

Patzor
Feb 17, 2009
Advance Wars series
  • Don't be tempted to rush the enemy at the start of a game because they're defences are weak. You won't have the proper resources to take on the enemy's home base due to their factories.

• Expand early. Your first priority should be to capture as many cities as possible. Try to capture buildings further away from your base and work backwards. Of course the risk to this is the cities that are further away from you are closer to the enemy so you have to guard what you've captured. Remember each city is another 1000 funds per round. If you can get more cities than your opponent that's half the battle over, you can slowly but surely outnumber your opponent and win by brute force.

• Try to identify chokepoints on the map like bridges and narrow pathways and take advantage of them. The easiest way to do this to put a heavy unit eg a Medium or Neo tank on the point with an artillery behind it. When the heavy unit gets damaged get it to a city for repairs and get a similar unit in there to take its place; which leads me onto the next point.

• Infantry are useful early in the game for capturing cities but they start to become less useful as more powerful units come into play. Fortunately infantry make great cannon fodder! If the enemy is pushing foward and you need to buy a little more time to get your tanks repaired don't be afraid to sacrifice your infantry. Sacrificing an infantry worth 1000 is much better than losing a Medium tank worth 16000.

• Don't bother with Megatanks. Although it is powerful it's also very slow, runs out of fuel and ammo quickly and costs an arm and a leg to build. I would only recommend it if you have cash to burn.

• When you get to your enemy's base try to plant your heavy units on the factories. This makes them inacessible for building and severely cripples the defense.

Does anyone have any tips for Tales of Symphonia?

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Secret Ooze posted:

I just came across Star Ocean: The Second Story in my game shelf and havent played it in a very long time.

Any particularly fun ways to break the poo poo out of it? Advice in general would also be appreciated.

You pretty much have to break this game to win at the end of it, but the bunny shoes are so much fun and make the game 10x better.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I just bought No More Heroes and was wondering where I should be spending my money. Swords? Videos? At the Gym?

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Secret Ooze posted:

Reset the game repeatedly until your main character--either Claude or Rena--has Dexterity. Play the game as normal until after Cross, when you have Celine and get the mission to go to the cave. Get Sensibility 1 and 2, from Cross and Herlie.

Level up until you can survive one battle in Lasguss, north of Cross, and then run around and level up there until you have 40000 fol, resting as often as you have to--eventually this will be easy, but don't progress with the plot until then. Sense 2 has playfulness on it, and levelling up perseverence to 10 and then playfulness to 10 gets you a grip of cash.

On your main dude, level up Courage and Poker Face until your Pickpocket skill is 9 or 10.

When you have the money, buy the Bandit Glove in Herlie. Save your game, then go into Clik BEFORE IT IS DESTROYED in a private action. Watch the event where Filia predicts the town's doom, and pickpocket her to get the Mischief. This accessory tosses crap at you the entire game, including cash and little trinkets that give you free levels. It is amazing and wonderful.

Then, go to Mars, and save outside. Go in in a PA again, and go to the east side of town, and pickpocket the Treasure Chest from the old man. This gives you three random items, and you can reset until you get, among other things, the Marvel Sword, which gives some ridiculous attack power and will carry you for a very long time.

At Lacour, be SURE to get to the very last round of the tournament, against Dias. Then, get the Sharp Edge after the battle with him from the dude who sponsored you. You can customize it with a mithril, and then the resulting crappy sword with another mithril to make the second strongest sword in the game, which also craps out an extra AE attack, which is utterly amazing.

Get Opera instead of Ashton. Do not even start or do anything related to Ashton, he is worthless. Use her Machinery skill until you make the White System, and learn Healing Star with it. Use it nonstop until you manage 999 proficiency in it. It heals far more, far more quickly, and for far less MP than any magic healer can do, with almost no effort, and lets you use Opera and 3 other good characters, instead of weighing your party down with Rena or some other caster, all of whom are worthless.

I literally cannot think of a game that's more entertainingly breakable than SO2, so I'm sure I'm missing a billion things, but those are the big ones that I remembered without having to dig up a guide.

Zvahl fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 7, 2009

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

THF13 posted:

When you finish your activity that uses up your day or afternoon time slot, you can leave the house again and do a few stat raising things in the city. I think I played through the first 1/4 of the game without knowing about that.

Oh, nice! I wouldn't have thought of that either because I was so used to not going anywhere after getting to the house in P4

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Veritron posted:

You pretty much have to break this game to win at the end of it, but the bunny shoes are so much fun and make the game 10x better.

Bunny shoes are amazing, if kind of out of the way, so look up where they are, but putting them on the character you're controlling makes things infinitely less frustrating.

Also, you don't really have to break it to win, but doing any of the extra stuff does kinda mandate it, and there's a grip of extra super super hard stuff.

snolly posted:

Oh, nice! I wouldn't have thought of that either because I was so used to not going anywhere after getting to the house in P4

:confused: But, there were two social links outside the house at night, and their corresponding jobs, and fishing if nothing else.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Ignore me. I am dumb.

BrokenLinux
Mar 9, 2003
/device/null
Think I'm going to grab The Witcher: Director's Cut off steam today (unless their weekend deal is too good to pass up). Anyone have any "what should I know's"?

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD
To anyone who has, or is considering a Guitar Hero or Rock Band game:

Practise mode. It always surprises me how many people overlook this and post things like "I'm sooo stuck on Painkiller it's such a long song and the solo kills me every time!! There must be some trick to it." The answer is always play the section you're struggling with in practise mode until you can do it.

Hell, I use practise mode more than the regular game modes when I'm playing alone to brush up on specific parts of songs that I'm likely to break combo in when I play with my friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Swiss Army Knife posted:

Prototype
- Max out your movement abilities as soon as possible. There's a surprisingly large number of (combat) powers/abilities that are of fairly little practical use in the actual game, but being fast and mobile makes a huge difference. Airdashing in particular is well worth getting the hang of as soon as possible, and it generally is a much better idea to dodge attacks/projectiles altogether rather than trying to absorb them.
- Kill events can be a pain in the arse to get gold/platinum on because enemy spawns tend to be fairly random. Don't be surprised if it takes a lot of tries to get a decent score, and there are one or two you may need to resort to 'cheating' on if you want gold.
- The hunter's combo attack cannot be interrupted, so once you see it raise its claw to strike, diveroll out of the way and resume attacking once it's taken its swings.
- Using the function keys to switch between powers is much quicker than using the wheel thing. (Only goes for PC, obviously.)
- Despite Alex being a superpowered bruiser that can punch tanks so hard they explode, most if not all of the difficult/boss fights are best won jumping around like an idiot and using ranged attacks of some sort. Devastators can work in some cases, but require luck and/or good timing. Going toe to toe with boss-type enemies (i.e. those that have a separate health bar similar to Mercer's) really isn't a particularly hot idea. Again, mobility is key.