Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Just put a USB Loader GX guide in the OP, let me know if it's missing something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
USB Loader GX is getting modified all the time. You're best linking to the revisions page instead of linking directly to the most recent version.

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

Keito posted:

Just put a USB Loader GX guide in the OP, let me know if it's missing something.

Someone could probably explain it better than me, but the program uLoader can run some things that USB Loader GX can't. It might be worth mentioning to use that (along with the custom modified 222 & 223 cios) if something isn't playing back properly off of USB Loader GX.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Keito posted:

Why do people keep talking about installing ISOs through the wbfs managers instead of just copying their discs? It's too much of a hassle to bother with? A 3GB game takes about 10 minutes to install, so I'd rather do that than spending several hours downloading :filez:. You can go drink a glass of milk and eat a banana in the meantime, that's what I do.

The "ripping" of game discs takes a long time and can fail in the middle. Some people's drives are better than others. Also, there is a backup tool which is MUCH faster and dumps the ISO to the SD card. You can take that ISO and use it on your PC.

Lobster Maneuver
Jan 4, 2005

All heart and all thumbs
This is a stupid question, but what's the most updated WAD installer? I want to install the channel forwarder for USB Loader GX and the WAD installer I used to get to 4.0 (the one that installs to CIOS 249) is giving me errors.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Stokesy posted:

The trucha bug is what allows unsigned discs to run and doesn't really have anything to do with the USB loaders.

I had to run the trucha bug restorer because without the bug I couldn't install any WADs at all or do half the poo poo I wanted to do that had nothing to do with backups, including USB Loader GX.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the trucha bug is required if you want to install anything with the wad manager.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is there a trick to getting MPlayer CE working with an external USB hard drive? I've got a Fat32-formatted WD Passport drive that I'm trying to get MPCE to recognize, but every time I try to open a file from "Wii USB", I get a crash OR a "USB device not mounted" error message.

Hamelin posted:

Yeah, the trucha bug is required if you want to install anything with the wad manager.
You know, it's funny you should mention that. I looked around a bit and found some kind of USB 2 update for MPCE, but it mentioned that since I have the most recent Wii update (4.1, if I recall correctly), then I'd need to use the Trucha Bug Restorer before I could get it to work. How safe is "reapplying" the trucha bug via this program, and am I on the right track to getting MPCE to recognize my harddrive?

There's just so much that I don't know about all of this, I figured I'd ask before I hosed something up :sweatdrop:

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

SwissCM posted:

Just reinstalling HBC using the bannerbomb worked fine for me.
well, I'm sure it would work, but I'm just curious wtf is going on here. did you have the same thing happen? anyone else have HBC stop working after (properly) updating to 4.1 and/or patching anything like this? I'm just wondering why it happened, I can't think of any reason. was the newest HBC too, I had just updated that like an hour earlier.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Straker posted:

well, I'm sure it would work, but I'm just curious wtf is going on here. did you have the same thing happen? anyone else have HBC stop working after (properly) updating to 4.1 and/or patching anything like this? I'm just wondering why it happened, I can't think of any reason. was the newest HBC too, I had just updated that like an hour earlier.

Just do it, geez.

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

Lobster Maneuver posted:

This is a stupid question, but what's the most updated WAD installer? I want to install the channel forwarder for USB Loader GX and the WAD installer I used to get to 4.0 (the one that installs to CIOS 249) is giving me errors.

I'm pretty sure Waninkoko is doing the most work on keeping an up to date WAD installer: http://www.teknoconsolas.es/blogs/waninkoko (it's in spanish, but comes with an english installer)

Everything I've installed so far has worked, as has the uninstallation.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Bubble-T posted:

The Wii considers them two different games or something, I'm not sure why but this happens with rock band 2 as well.

I'm not even 100% sure that DLC works with USB loader, never tried it. I'm sorry I can't help you figure out what the error is. Try asking on scorehero or gbatemp I guess?

Thanks, oh well will have to use the disc whenever I want to use the DLC and whatnot, I guess.

Strangely, something like that also happened when I booted it from the disc form GeckoOS, complete with error in the SD card copying.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Kiggles posted:

USB Loader GX is getting modified all the time. You're best linking to the revisions page instead of linking directly to the most recent version.

On top of that, the revision page often lags behind actual updates, so once you've gotten whatever the latest version is off that page, you may well find a newer version available via the in-app autoupdater.

Ravestory
Jan 28, 2008
Huzzah!
One of the things that always bugged me about the homebrew channel was how it put things in alphabetical order. Okay, it makes a lot of sense to do it that way, but I'd rather have programs I run regularly show up first.

I found out it takes leading spaces into account when sorting alphabetically so a meta.xml file saying the program's name is " Z" would come before one named "A".

So I threw together something in Python to let you organize it. It puts leading spaces on every program. The only downside to this is that the HBC will display all those leading spaces which can lead to long titles with lots of spaces getting cut off, but I think it's worth it.

If you want to run it download Python and just save the code below as a .py file and run it. It's simple enough to use, though not the most user friendly program.

Code: http://pastebin.com/f4d078e6c

Just replace the line xmlfiles = glob.glob("F:\\apps\\*\\meta.xml") with the correct drive letter.

If there's interest I can clean it up a bit.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
Does this work when updating stuff through the homebrew browser though?

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Ravestory posted:

One of the things that always bugged me about the homebrew channel was how it put things in alphabetical order. Okay, it makes a lot of sense to do it that way, but I'd rather have programs I run regularly show up first.

I found out it takes leading spaces into account when sorting alphabetically so a meta.xml file saying the program's name is " Z" would come before one named "A".

So I threw together something in Python to let you organize it. It puts leading spaces on every program. The only downside to this is that the HBC will display all those leading spaces which can lead to long titles with lots of spaces getting cut off, but I think it's worth it.

If you want to run it download Python and just save the code below as a .py file and run it. It's simple enough to use, though not the most user friendly program.

Code: http://pastebin.com/f4d078e6c

Just replace the line xmlfiles = glob.glob("F:\\apps\\*\\meta.xml") with the correct drive letter.

If there's interest I can clean it up a bit.

This is really great, thank you. Since you seem to know your stuff, are you capable of making a homebrew channel "app" that simply loads the Wii menu? I know it sounds silly but I have my (and all my friend's) Wii's loading USB Loader GX immediately (thanks to PreLoader) and getting back to the original Wii menu requires turning off the Wii, getting PreLoader up, and loading it from there (which is apparently confusing to my friends). If there was just an app that loaded the Wii menu that would be so simple yet so great for me and a lot of people. Any advice?

Hamelin posted:

The trucha bug is restored by restoring it to IOS36, correct? Then what is that whole IOS15 thing I have to do, and then undo when done? Is there any reason to bring IOS36 back to having no trucha bug?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Milky_Sauce posted:

The trucha bug is restored by restoring it to IOS36, correct? Then what is that whole IOS15 thing I have to do, and then undo when done? Is there any reason to bring IOS36 back to having no trucha bug?
In order to get the trucha bug back into IOS36, you need to downgrade IOS15 to a version that also has the bug so that you can it to put the bug back into IOS36. Then, you have to restore IOS15 so that your Wii won't freak out because its using an older IOS15 than it expects.

As for why you're modifying IOS36, it's because IOS36 is the only IOS used by some older homebrew software. And once you get the Trucha bug back into IOS36 (via IOS15), you don't have to restore it.

Got it? :eng101: Because I'm not sure I completely do :eng99:

Stokesy
Nov 26, 2003

G-R-A-S-P

Milky_Sauce posted:

This is really great, thank you. Since you seem to know your stuff, are you capable of making a homebrew channel "app" that simply loads the Wii menu? I know it sounds silly but I have my (and all my friend's) Wii's loading USB Loader GX immediately (thanks to PreLoader) and getting back to the original Wii menu requires turning off the Wii, getting PreLoader up, and loading it from there (which is apparently confusing to my friends). If there was just an app that loaded the Wii menu that would be so simple yet so great for me and a lot of people. Any advice?

Pressing 'home' then 'wii menu' works for me, I have it set up exactly the same as you. Maybe it was added in recently? I've just updated to rev711.

Stokesy
Nov 26, 2003

G-R-A-S-P
I have also found out by accident that you can order the homebrew apps in USB Loader GX by creating subfolders. (e.g. putting four of the apps in SD:\apps\!Page1\ instead of just SD:\apps\ will make those four show up on the first page.) The downside is that they don't show up at all in the HBC.

Also, the 'leading spaces' trick that order them in the HBC don't work in USBL-GX :(

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Is there a Sega CD emulator for the Wii? If so, can it run Snatcher?

If there is, that would be rather nice.

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

Well, this time I think I may have hosed up for good.

I was fiddling around with installing new homebrew apps that looked interesting, and my Wii now won't load up the system menu. Trying to leave from the homebrew channel and it'll freeze and not load up the menu. If I restart, it'll freeze up at the health and safety screen. Well, no problem right? I installed preloader, this kind of mess is what it's for right?

Preloader isn't loading up. I had it set so it would only load up when I hold down the reset button and...It won't come up. It just goes straight to the health and safety screen. I've used it plenty, even recently, I don't understand why it isn't coming up.

Is there any way to get it working again? Even if I could send it to Nintendo without worrying about its modded state, I really don't have the free cash at the moment to pay for it, and it's long over warranty. Please tell me I have a way out. :(

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Skyelan posted:

Well, this time I think I may have hosed up for good.

I was fiddling around with installing new homebrew apps that looked interesting, and my Wii now won't load up the system menu. Trying to leave from the homebrew channel and it'll freeze and not load up the menu. If I restart, it'll freeze up at the health and safety screen. Well, no problem right? I installed preloader, this kind of mess is what it's for right?

Preloader isn't loading up. I had it set so it would only load up when I hold down the reset button and...It won't come up. It just goes straight to the health and safety screen. I've used it plenty, even recently, I don't understand why it isn't coming up.

Is there any way to get it working again? Even if I could send it to Nintendo without worrying about its modded state, I really don't have the free cash at the moment to pay for it, and it's long over warranty. Please tell me I have a way out. :(

You have BootMii installed.. right?

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

Sad Panda posted:

You have BootMii installed.. right?

No I didn't, and that's why I'm kicking myself. It seemed like opinion in the thread when bootmii first came out was that there wasn't enough reason to install it just yet, and I knew preloader would help me out if I got in a jam.

But, as a test with my friend has just shown, looks like even the homebrew updater to 4.1 removes Preloader. Great. Well, it's my own shortsightedness that screwed myself over, so I guess I'll just have to deal. :sigh:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
If you can get to the Homebrew channel then you're fine. Just reinstall Preloader. Not exactly sure how that could be possible without preloader, but your original post made it sound like you could.

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

Kiggles posted:

If you can get to the Homebrew channel then you're fine. Just reinstall Preloader. Not exactly sure how that could be possible without preloader, but your original post made it sound like you could.

I realize my wording was pretty poor, it sounded like getting out of homebrew channel into the system menu was a repeatedly tested thing. Lord knows I'd love to get into the channel, since at least then I could back up my saves and such.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Bummer. I hate to say it, but you look completely boned. I would google some more if I were you, but without bootmii everything I am seeing points to your system being hosed. :(

Nintendo WILL fix your wii, mind you. It is just going to cost. At least 80 bucks, not including shipping. I'm sure they hate doing it, but I am not seeing broken Wiis on ebay for much cheaper. Buying one of those to swap motherboards is risky, and Nintendo can probably restore your system menu without compromising your saves. Just don't expect to see the homebrew channel on there when it comes back.

Hopefully someone else around here may have more information for you.

Stokesy
Nov 26, 2003

G-R-A-S-P

Skyelan posted:

I realize my wording was pretty poor, it sounded like getting out of homebrew channel into the system menu was a repeatedly tested thing. Lord knows I'd love to get into the channel, since at least then I could back up my saves and such.

Do you have a modchip by any chance? You could possibly boot a recovery disc using SaveMiiFree, or perhaps autobooting a recovery disc would work with a softmod?. Either way, to try you will need to butcher a gamecube controller. See here.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Stokesy posted:

Do you have a modchip by any chance?

If he had a modchip sending it in to Nintendo wouldn't even be an option for him even if he had the cash.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I'm thinking of checking out PlayOn's beta support for Wii and I'm still at 3.2u on my softmodded Wii. Have there been any significant upgrades to the Internet channel since then that I would want to upgrade?

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Stokesy posted:

Do you have a modchip by any chance? You could possibly boot a recovery disc using SaveMiiFree, or perhaps autobooting a recovery disc would work with a softmod?. Either way, to try you will need to butcher a gamecube controller. See here.

If he has a dancepad, he could do all 4 directions at once without opening a controller.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Is BootMii and the NAND backup something you have to do before installing the homebrew and doing some cios36 stuff? You guys are scaring me now but I wonder if I can just do bootmii and a backup now even after all the crap I've done.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Is BootMii and the NAND backup something you have to do before installing the homebrew and doing some cios36 stuff? You guys are scaring me now but I wonder if I can just do bootmii and a backup now even after all the crap I've done.

Are you happy with how your wii is working now?

If so then back it up. Ideally you want a clean version to revert to, but if your Wii is working at the moment with the stuff you have on there then that is certainly better to have as a backup than no backup at all.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Just to be clear - if I was to remove any channels/wads, wipe my SD card and let the Wii patch up to whatever the latest is, 4.0 or such, Preloader would be gone and I'd then be bannerbombing on an effectively virgin system, correct?

(apparently my black-screen-on-homebrew-update is a glitch I can only clear by clearing then re-modding the system, meh... though I suppose I ought to anyways, since I'm still running on 3.2u with no BootMii)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Does anyone have that six-step list for safely updating your firmware? 4.0, I think. I downloaded all the programs it listed but forgot to bookmark it so I can't follow the instructions.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Alright, quick question:

My friend is going to Japan on vacation and bringing back with him a Black Wii. What is the current status of homebrew on them? Are they easily homebrewable, or are there extra steps to take like LU64 Wiis?

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
Nintendo whets your equestrian appetite with new controller.

*Nintendo has registered Horseback Riding Controller for patent protection in US, which is an inflatable seat with a pocket for the Wii Remote, and player holds the nunchuk to simulate holding the reins.

Source: the-magicbox.com

Of course this is just one of the thousands of sex peripherals converted for US market.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Toadsniff posted:

Nintendo whets your equestrian appetite with new controller.

*Nintendo has registered Horseback Riding Controller for patent protection in US, which is an inflatable seat with a pocket for the Wii Remote, and player holds the nunchuk to simulate holding the reins.

Source: the-magicbox.com

Of course this was just one of the thousands of sex peripherals converted for US market.

Yeah, we've already been made aware of it in the Wii megathread. I pray that patent stays a patent cause if Nintendo actually makes a product out of that i'm officially losing all hope for them.

honeymustard
Dec 19, 2008

Shut up cunt.

Brett824 posted:

Alright, quick question:

My friend is going to Japan on vacation and bringing back with him a Black Wii. What is the current status of homebrew on them? Are they easily homebrewable, or are there extra steps to take like LU64 Wiis?

Pretty sure they'll just be 4.1, so you can use Bannerbomb.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

LU64s are more volatile, though. They brick more easily when messing with firmware stuff. Be sure to install Bootmii and do a backup beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stokesy
Nov 26, 2003

G-R-A-S-P

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

LU64s are more volatile, though. They brick more easily when messing with firmware stuff. Be sure to install Bootmii and do a backup beforehand.

I was under the impression that the new LU64+ Wiis have the new boot2 which means you have to install BootMii as an IOS, making it useless in case of a brick.

• Locked thread