Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

The Stygian posted:

98 Euros? Wouldn't it be ridiculously cheaper to make it yourself? Surely it can't be too difficult.

Yes, it is ridiculously cheaper to make it myself. Thing is, it won't look as nice. I thought about this for a while too, then decided gently caress it - I'll pour my energies into a new, wider desk. I hope my dad can pitch in; he's a construction welder, so I am going to draw plans for a frame that extends the size of my desk. I'll have to be able to screw it apart, though - that Argosy console I linked? When those have reached their end of life, they're usually offered for a low, low price since it's far too much of a hassle for the studio owner to take it apart - not to even mention shipping it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)
That's some serious EQ on that Peavey.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

The Mystery Date posted:

Looks like you can toggle it on/off from the footswitch, too. That's pretty cool.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

warwick5s posted:

It seems like the Peavey VB-3 is getting close, and jesus christ do I want one.

300 watt, 37lb ALL TUBE bass head with footswitchable overdrive, compression, and graphic EQ. $1800.

That is glorious.

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?

warwick5s posted:

300 watt, 37lb ALL TUBE bass head with footswitchable overdrive, compression, and graphic EQ. $1800.

Ohgod don't link that. Supremely sexy, features galore, and I don't have the money for one :(

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

warwick5s posted:

:fap:...Holy poo poo...Is that a loving backlit Peavey logo?...:flashfap:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

warwick5s posted:

Only 37lbs? Nice. I'd like to hear this thing.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Is that... is that a good looking Peavey?!

:monocle:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I don't think I've ever heard a bass amp driven by EL34s... Or if I have, I didn't realize it. This'll be interesting.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
First ever production amp with a digital switching power transformer feeding power tubes, too.

I mean, I've been an Aguilar guy for like five years but goddamn the VB3 is the kind of amp you dream of.

(Gosh, it would sound so good with my GS412 too. I hate mixing and matching brands, though - maybe if I just pull all the logos I can get over it?)

Raze
Aug 13, 2005

I'M GOING HOME.
drat you, eBay.

(Seller's pic)
ESP standard series Eclipse. I got a good deal, but I really don't deserve this guitar, nor do I need anything this nice. I still can't wait to get my filthy hands on it, though. It's so purdy. Anyone wanna buy my old RG270DX?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I have lately decided that I want an ESP really bad. There's something about their styling that I really like - it's aggressive but tasteful compared to the more out-there pointy/jagged stuff, and not gaudy or cheesy like some other "high end" guitar makers' stuff (says the guy who has a Schecter C-1 Classic that he loves, no accounting for taste right? :D). Plus I really like Japanese guitars, they have never let me down for craftsmanship.

That looks great, man. Nice score.

Raze
Aug 13, 2005

I'M GOING HOME.

Agreed posted:

I have lately decided that I want an ESP really bad. There's something about their styling that I really like - it's aggressive but tasteful compared to the more out-there pointy/jagged stuff, and not gaudy or cheesy like some other "high end" guitar makers' stuff (says the guy who has a Schecter C-1 Classic that he loves, no accounting for taste right? :D). Plus I really like Japanese guitars, they have never let me down for craftsmanship.

That looks great, man. Nice score.
Thanks! And yeah, I have fallen in love with ESP. Even their Korean LTD line is good if you get the higher-end models. I got a Viper-400 a few years ago so I'd have something to mount a Roland GK-3 on, but the quality and general playability of it (besides a bit of neck dive) blew me away. I totally agree on the looks. The Eclipse models are basically pointier, thinner Les Pauls with better necks, from what I hear.

Alligator
Jun 10, 2009

LOCK AND LOAF
Guyatone Mosrite copy.

Holy gently caress I love this guitar. It's currently got 11s on it and, while I usually use 12s, it's setup nicely so I might keep them on. Tuned to D standard and it's working well.

I never thought anything would usurp my Jaguar as my #1 (especially something 25.5 scale) but it looks like this is it, I just can't put it down.

Also got a Russian Big Muff on the way since it seems about time I owned one.
A mustang bridge for my Jaguar is coming too since that's tuned to CGCGGD and the low C pops out of the saddle on the stock bridge a ton.

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)
How does that bar work? It doesn't look like it's attached to anything. Is it just for show?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The Mystery Date posted:

How does that bar work? It doesn't look like it's attached to anything. Is it just for show?

That's one of the other rocking bridges Fender invented, you usually see them on Jazzmasters and Jaguars. In my opinion they are still just for show, though, because I have never played one with much in the way of tuning stability, ymmv.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Agreed posted:

That's one of the other rocking bridges Fender invented, you usually see them on Jazzmasters and Jaguars. In my opinion they are still just for show, though, because I have never played one with much in the way of tuning stability, ymmv.

Jeff Beck performs a hell of a show with them...

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

Scarf posted:

Jeff Beck performs a hell of a show with them...

Jeff Beck uses his signature Strats with the modern 2-point Strat trem?

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

Agreed posted:

Wait, you are saying you find the JM/Jaguar bridge LESS stable than other trems? I guess there's no accounting for personal experience but I find that surprising.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Rashomon posted:

Wait, you are saying you find the JM/Jaguar bridge LESS stable than other trems? I guess there's no accounting for personal experience but I find that surprising.
A lot of this has to do with how they're set up. As a rule, though, a floating non-locking trem is less stable, yeah.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Rashomon posted:

Yeah, compared to a two-point knife edge trem like Fender's used for some time now I think those are a lot less stable, with more travel in where it ends up. I don't have a problem with floating, non-locking trems in principle. In fact I have a System 2 trem on my Fender Contemporary Special 22, MIJ strat from the mid '80s, and while it only locks at the nut the tuning stability is amazing. I haven't had to re-tune it in a month now despite in that time having moved a couple hundred miles closer to the equator. Fender has made some great floating bridges over the years but I haven't ever liked that particular style.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Chows posted:

Jeff Beck uses his signature Strats with the modern 2-point Strat trem?

ah I thought he was referring to trems in general.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

The Mystery Date posted:

Most the peavey bass amps ive seen have that big old eq on them.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

While 37 pounds is nice, I can't see paying $1800 for a Peavey anything. That kind of money will get you almost any other amp on the market today. Are there any examples of what its tone is like?

ThanatosOfOne
Mar 24, 2009
I just scored these two bass cabinets. I already had the sunn 600 watt power amp ($25)(craigslist), the line 6 bass pod ($90)(craigslist), and the ibanez soundgear SR1200 ($200)(pawnshop).

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Alligator
Jun 10, 2009

LOCK AND LOAF

Carbohydrates posted:

A lot of this has to do with how they're set up. As a rule, though, a floating non-locking trem is less stable, yeah.
I find them perfectly stable, I've got a Jaguar too that I use the trem on. You need to know how to set them up though, even more so with Mustangs.

I much prefer the limited range (I have it set to go down about 2 semitones all the way down and to go up about 1). I find Mustang trems way too sensitive, Strats too.
I hate strat trems, when I had a Strat I just put 5 springs in it and never used it.

I also recently tried a bigsby for the first time, on a Fender Coronado. Way too stiff for me. I hear they're a bitch to string up too.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Alligator posted:

I find them perfectly stable, I've got a Jaguar too that I use the trem on. You need to know how to set them up though, even more so with Mustangs.

I much prefer the limited range (I have it set to go down about 2 semitones all the way down and to go up about 1). I find Mustang trems way too sensitive, Strats too.
I hate strat trems, when I had a Strat I just put 5 springs in it and never used it.

I also recently tried a bigsby for the first time, on a Fender Coronado. Way too stiff for me. I hear they're a bitch to string up too.
I like sensitive trems, though, so there's the difference. :) I really didn't like the trem on my Jazzmaster to the point where I simply stopped using it entirely. The bar never comes out of my strat, though.

Bigsbys are only annoying to string if you've completely unstrung your guitar, and even then, it's really not that bad unless you have no idea what you're doing or how Bigsby trems work. I only have one guitar with one and I don't use it much, though.

edit: Coronados suck.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

Just received my G5120 to go along with my recently-purchased second-hand Blues Deville 410. They are one hell of a team. I have a Tru-Arc bridge coming hopefully next week for her as well.

Alligator posted:

Stringing a bigsby isn't so bad once you have the routine down. The trick is to pre-bend the ball and keep your string tension. A winder helps tremendously.

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?

nolen posted:

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

Just received my G5120 to go along with my recently-purchased second-hand Blues Deville 410. They are one hell of a team. I have a Tru-Arc bridge coming hopefully next week for her as well.

Stringing a bigsby isn't so bad once you have the routine down. The trick is to pre-bend the ball and keep your string tension. A winder helps tremendously.

While having never been a fan of Gretsch guitars, that is very sexy.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

nolen posted:

Locking tuners help tremendously too. If you don't want to go to the trouble of installing them, though, a good trick is to just stretch the string across the fretboard and clamp a capo across the strings, leaving two hands free to do the winding.

As for me, I finally assembled all the components of my dream pedalboard. IS NICE, I LIKE

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

dancehall posted:

Locking tuners help tremendously too. If you don't want to go to the trouble of installing them, though, a good trick is to just stretch the string across the fretboard and clamp a capo across the strings, leaving two hands free to do the winding.

As for me, I finally assembled all the components of my dream pedalboard. IS NICE, I LIKE

Stompin' pedals like a boss

sorry

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
That's a pretty boss pedalboard.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

dancehall posted:

Did you post this on TGP as well?

Also, is that a pedaltrain?

Cojawfee posted:

I just want that chromatic tuner, because my fender one is annoying with both jacks on the same side.
I'm buying a Turbo-Tuner next week-ish, if my loans come through, maybe you should too?

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 19, 2009

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My valvetronix does chorus, delay, and tremolo, and I've got the BD-2. I just want that chromatic tuner, because my fender one is annoying with both jacks on the same side.

I really like the BD-2. People may not like BOSS, but I enjoy the sound it makes. Better than my mega distortion.

royalejest
Oct 31, 2006

Clapton is God.

Cojawfee posted:

My valvetronix does chorus, delay, and tremolo, and I've got the BD-2. I just want that chromatic tuner, because my fender one is annoying with both jacks on the same side.

I really like the BD-2. People may not like BOSS, but I enjoy the sound it makes. Better than my mega distortion.

I really dig the BD-2 as well, I bought it for just a bit of rhythm crunch, but I quickly wound up using it as much or more than my Tube Screamer. Mine is currently out getting the Keeley treatment at the moment though. Soon, I will have a little toggle switch. Looking forward to getting it back.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I thought about doing that, let me know how it works out.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Did you post this on TGP as well?

Also, is that a pedaltrain?

Yes on both counts.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Boss pedals own. I don't use a lot of effects, but the pedals I bring to every show are a DD-7 Delay, a CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, and a TU-2 tuner.

Alligator
Jun 10, 2009

LOCK AND LOAF
I've never really found any boss effects I was a huge fan of, save for the RE-20.

I use a DD-3 which is good, although the self-oscillation is a tad touchy and uncontrollable.

Oh I like the pitch-shifter thing too, PS-5 is it? Someone I know splits his signal so he goes to a bass amp via the PS-5 set to one octave down to sort out the bass end of things and to a Marshall DSL-50 head for his guitar sound.
Two piece band so live it helps fill out the sound a little more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J. Scott
Jul 18, 2009

You think this is the real Quaid?!
Somebody gave me a free BD-2 a while back but I don't have a Boss adapter or else I'd be rockin' dat. I should probably get one already.