Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Dogen posted:

It's really up to how your set handles it, if you don't like the amount of time it takes to switch over, then put it on forced. Our DLP would have to think about it for a minute, and is 720p anyway, so it's on 720p fixed. Our LCD is 1080p and handles the resolution switch with nearly no delay, so I keep it on native.

I really think that its my receiver that makes it all screwy. I haven't attempted to run the tivo directly in to the set. Nor do I really feel like it. As it was said there isn't any 1080p coming over broadcast so theres no point in monkeying around with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nosml
Jan 14, 2003
I'm running my TiVo Native into a DVDO Edge scaler.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I got my replacement expansion drive! I untether the old one from the TiVo, boot it up clean, shut it down, add the new one...

"We've detected a new drive! Would you like to set it up now?" Yes!

"This device is unsupported and may not be set up with your TiVo HD DVR."

So who do I complain to about this? TiVo or Western Digital? :(

Edit: Western Digital. I hooked up the old external drive and it supports it just fine. Bloody hell. At least I'm glad I got the advance shipping so I didn't have to send my drive back first; if I had, I'd've had no way of proving it was the new drive's fault and not the TiVo's.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 17, 2009

complex
Sep 16, 2003

Did they send you the non-Tivo version? If so then that is really annoying. What is the model number of your replacement drive?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

complex posted:

Did they send you the non-Tivo version? If so then that is really annoying. What is the model number of your replacement drive?

Exactly the same as the one I have. Even has a 'TiVo Verified' sticker on the back. The nice chap in India upgraded me to 'level 2' support, which means being transferred to an idiot in the US who suggests I call my cable company and ask if this hard drive is supported.

He also told me to call TiVo to make sure I have any recent firmware update that could make it support my drive better. How about I not call, but say I did.

I would have just RMA'd this if it weren't, y'know, an RMA already. So I'm not sure where to progress on my own with this. In the meantime they still want the original drive back by August 6 or I get charged $165, but I'm definitely not letting go of it since it's my only way to compare with new drives.

Edit: The nice Indian chap is sending a new one out to me, at which point I send out the old two ones.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 18, 2009

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Bow before the might of the Clarkson!
I decided to pick up an HD after having a million problems with my Scientific Atlanta piece of poo poo that Time Warner gives out. The only problem is the fact that I do watch a lot of VOD content, which can be partially supplemented with Amazon VOD, but I don't know if I can give up HBO/Cini ect VOD so easily...

Is it really in my best interest to get two CableCARDS and a SDV converter and have a set-top box backup for when I need to use TW VOD? Or would it be easier to route a TW box into the TiVo and get my poo poo that way? Probably use a serial cord to change the channels on both, or some funky setup with my Harmony?

Or... is there any easy way (without changing inputs) to have a TW box connected at all times, run CableCARDS on the TiVo and just use that remote to pick VOD content when needed?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Straithate posted:

I decided to pick up an HD after having a million problems with my Scientific Atlanta piece of poo poo that Time Warner gives out. The only problem is the fact that I do watch a lot of VOD content, which can be partially supplemented with Amazon VOD, but I don't know if I can give up HBO/Cini ect VOD so easily...

Is it really in my best interest to get two CableCARDS and a SDV converter and have a set-top box backup for when I need to use TW VOD? Or would it be easier to route a TW box into the TiVo and get my poo poo that way? Probably use a serial cord to change the channels on both, or some funky setup with my Harmony?

Or... is there any easy way (without changing inputs) to have a TW box connected at all times, run CableCARDS on the TiVo and just use that remote to pick VOD content when needed?

With the TiVo HD, you only need one M-Card; most cablecos don't even have S-Cards any more, as far as I hear.

Also, there's no serial port on the back of the TiVo HD - the only two options for connection are CableCARDs (if you want digital cable), and RCA (for antennas/non-digital cable); no room for a cablebox. If you want to have a VOD solution, you're going to have to nut up to changing inputs and keeping a TW box around/hooked up.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Which shouldn't really be all that painful once you get the Harmony configured.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Bow before the might of the Clarkson!
Thanks for the information. I called Time Warner today and they are sending someone out next week.

They have the tru2way cards, but I read that TiVo doesn't support the technology yet - correct?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Straithate posted:

They have the tru2way cards, but I read that TiVo doesn't support the technology yet - correct?

Correct, I'd assume it'll be in S4.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
The second new drive arrives tomorrow. I'm kind of happy I had to spend this time without a drive hooked up; it's made it abundantly clear the problem was on the external drive. I have had only a single crash since unplugging the external, and it wasn't during playback, but rather when I did something I guess confused the UI. This compared to when pretty much every video would cause a consistent crash at some point in the recording.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
I hate to say this but if it's crashing just from user input you probably still have a problem. The only time I've ever managed to crash my HD was when I tried to feed it a bad transcode via pyTiVo.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Lazlo Nibble posted:

I hate to say this but if it's crashing just from user input you probably still have a problem. The only time I've ever managed to crash my HD was when I tried to feed it a bad transcode via pyTiVo.

I've had it crash a handful of times (but only a handful) when, for example, hitting rewind immediately after hitting pause, but that one's only happened a couple of times. It tends to happen when I give it multiple commands too fast, but again only rarely.

Since it's a refurb, I'm stuck with it. But having that single crash in the last week is about three dozen fewer crashes than I expected.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Sigh.

So the third drive (second replacement drive) arrived today.

It's a My Book. A 2TB My Book World Edition Network Hard Drive.

The loving thing doesn't even have an eSATA port.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

loving FINALLY

Kmttg switches from perl to java.

http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/

Basically it owns, you can transfer, decode, comcut, encode all in on program.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I have an old(ish) DirecTivo unit that I absolutely loved when I had DirecTV service. I've been using cable due to an apartment rule at my current place but am about to move and want to get DirecTV again. I have a couple of questions

1) There is a free DirecTV DVR upgrade available on signup. Should I get that or use my current DirecTivo.
2) Is there some way to bank the upgrade for later (I doubt it) /w DirecTV? [This may not be the right place to ask, just ignore it if it is]
3) Do I need a phone line for the unit or can it download via the Ethernet port?

Let me know if you need actual model numbers to answer the question and I'll pull the data.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

kri kri posted:

loving FINALLY

Kmttg switches from perl to java.

http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/

Basically it owns, you can transfer, decode, comcut, encode all in on program.

Yeah, this thing is great.

Is there any free video editor that someone can use to clip commercials that actually works reasonably well? The one that comes with Vista can import the MPEG2 files fine, but only saves in windows formats which typically screws the audio. Pinnacle Videospin is a free contender, but the saving options are pretty hard coded, and the ones you can change somehow screw up the video quality. Basically everything that I've found has some fatal flaw. I'd love to find something that just opens and saves anything, and lets you clip the poo poo out of videos. A handbrake with simple editing capabilities.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Philthy posted:

Yeah, this thing is great.

Is there any free video editor that someone can use to clip commercials that actually works reasonably well? The one that comes with Vista can import the MPEG2 files fine, but only saves in windows formats which typically screws the audio. Pinnacle Videospin is a free contender, but the saving options are pretty hard coded, and the ones you can change somehow screw up the video quality. Basically everything that I've found has some fatal flaw. I'd love to find something that just opens and saves anything, and lets you clip the poo poo out of videos. A handbrake with simple editing capabilities.

People fawn over Videoredo, but I think it costs money.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

kri kri posted:

People fawn over Videoredo, but I think it costs money.
It does. You're paying for the fact that a) it Just Works and b) any moron can figure it out.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
I tried the Kmttg thing. Thought it was ok. The only thing it really helped me with was find VideoRedo so I can run the fix before I encode stuff since most things gave me problems when trying to encode the mpeg.

The commercial cutting tool works like crap but at least I can edit it out manually and not have any sync issues with the audio that I've gotten with other programs.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
The fourth drive works.

Now to send back the first three.

I've missed you, extra storage :( Formula 1 takes up 9 hours a weekend, so without the extra storage, that's nearly half of my space right there, unless I babysit it and delete them as they record.

Dinty Moore
Apr 26, 2007

FunOne posted:

I have an old(ish) DirecTivo unit that I absolutely loved when I had DirecTV service. I've been using cable due to an apartment rule at my current place but am about to move and want to get DirecTV again. I have a couple of questions

1) There is a free DirecTV DVR upgrade available on signup. Should I get that or use my current DirecTivo.

I think they may have killed MPEG-2 HD feeds completely now; even if not, almost all their HD content is MPEG-4 AVC now. Your old DirecTiVo won't receive those channels (doesn't do MPEG-4 AVC, and doesn't know about the new sats). So until the new DirecTiVo hits sometime early next year, you're probably stuck with the HR2x box. Some people think they're okay.

FunOne posted:

3) Do I need a phone line for the unit or can it download via the Ethernet port?

I think you can do without the phone line, and it doesn't download anything via phone - with DirecTV, that's only used for reporting PPV usage back to their control systems. They may charge you extra if you don't have it connected by phone though; I know Dish does this.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

demonbleh posted:

I think you can do without the phone line, and it doesn't download anything via phone - with DirecTV, that's only used for reporting PPV usage back to their control systems. They may charge you extra if you don't have it connected by phone though; I know Dish does this.

They don't charge you extra. What happens is that you can order so many PPV shows/movies before you hit some dollar limit where it makes you plug it back in. So you can do a few shows at least and not have to pay for them as long as you don't plug in the phone line. Also, if you're going to end the service, get what shows you want and hit that limit.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A channel has disappeared off my Tivo and I'm sure it's one I'm supposed to be getting. Is there anything I can do from this end to diagnose it or should I just go ahead and call the cable company?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

sex offendin Link posted:

A channel has disappeared off my Tivo and I'm sure it's one I'm supposed to be getting. Is there anything I can do from this end to diagnose it or should I just go ahead and call the cable company?

Did you check the channel list in the system menu to make sure it's checked?

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

sex offendin Link posted:

Tivo didn't give you a message about the channel lineup changing? (I seem to get at least one such message a week - hooray Comcast?)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kilson posted:

Tivo didn't give you a message about the channel lineup changing? (I seem to get at least one such message a week - hooray Comcast?)

It gives me those so often and about channels I care so little about that I just glaze over them. I guess I did miss an important message because the channel I wanted had just been relocated. Thanks!

drchipotle
Sep 11, 2001

I'm trying to put an Airnet card into a Sony Series 1 Tivo, and it seems like Silicondust removed all support for it. Any idea why? I found the install CD on some obscure website after much googling, and I ended up not being able to ping or telnet to the Tivo. Does anyone know the current status of Airnet?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Is Tivo ever going to update their hardware? I would really like to get one, but I'm completely unsatisfied with the storage options that are given. 160gb is too little for a base model in 2009 and a $300 price premium to step up to 1gb is insane. The only other options are to void the warranty and install my own drives or spend another $150 to put an external SATA drive on the thing.

If I'm going to be spending nearly $700 on the device and service, I want something better than a piddly 160gb hard drive that was barely enough storage 2 years ago. In 2009, when I have over 130 HD stations, 160gb is completely inadequate. Tivo's better search and program management features really don't mean a lot if all I can have are 5 movies and 10 TV episodes before I run out of space.

It's times like these that it sucks that Tivo has no competitor in the market to drive them. As it stands, it looks like we may get affordable cablecard PC tuners that could be slapped into a cheap nettop running windows 7 before Tivo decides to do another hardware refresh.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

Is Tivo ever going to update their hardware? I would really like to get one, but I'm completely unsatisfied with the storage options that are given. 160gb is too little for a base model in 2009 and a $300 price premium to step up to 1gb is insane. The only other options are to void the warranty and install my own drives or spend another $150 to put an external SATA drive on the thing.

Hardware refreshes seem like they run about every three years; I'd be surprised if S4 didn't hit next year. That said, installing a new drive is dead easy with WinMFS, warranty issues be damned.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have a stock Tivo HD and I never run out of stuff to watch. I've thought about upgrading the drive or getting an expander but I can't watch enough television for that to make sense, especially with Netflix streaming too.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Is it possible to do multi-room Tivo? I am open to hacking or whatever, and I guess I can record from the tivo and store stuff on my windows home server box, but if there is a more elegant solution let a brother know.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

qirex posted:

I have a stock Tivo HD and I never run out of stuff to watch. I've thought about upgrading the drive or getting an expander but I can't watch enough television for that to make sense, especially with Netflix streaming too.

That's not really the case with me though. My Verizon DVR has a 160gb hard drive in it and I'm finding that I'm constantly having to juggle to make sure I'm not in danger of running out of space. I have well over 20 premium movie channels in HD with FIOS and it's not uncommon for me to find a half dozen or so movies I wouldn't mind watching to schedule for recording but I may not be able to get to watching all of them for over a month.

From there, it's not hard to see how space can be a concern. If you just throw in 4 1 hour dramas for the week plus a couple of other misc things and it basically becomes a treadmill to make sure I don't run out of space. This has become exasperated by the fact that I now get Comedy Central in HD which means TDS and Colbert can take up 4 hours of HD recording space a week (I know they aren't in HD, but picture quality over the SD channel is much better on the upconverts).

This totally defeats the purpose of owning a DVR. The idea is to not let programming you want to watch dictate your schedule, but I'm finding I'm pretty much just watching stuff on a 1/2hr to 1 hour delay now so if I DO decide to skip a show or two for a few days, I don't run out of space. I'm getting by, but I miss the freedom that the DVR used to give me when I had much more recording capacity.

Having only a 120gb DVR with comcast wasn't that big of an issue since I only had a little bit of HD content to record. Now it's rare that I record anything in SD.

These things should have gotten a storage bump by now. Just look at how the prices of storage has fallen in the 2 years since the HD was introduced. Hell, a 640gb drive now costs less than a 160gb drive back in 2007.

I passed on buying a Tivo last year because I got the DVR free from Verizon for a year with new service. I though I would just wait until the end of 2009 because it seemed absurd at the time that Tivo would leave the hardware stagnate that long. But here we are a year later and the options haven't improved.

People wonder why CableCard has been so ineffectual that only 450,000 of them have been deployed nationwide. The real answer has nothing to do with SDV, OnDemand, or pressure from the cable companies. The real answer is CableCard hardware is still stupid expensive and hasn't seen much development in years.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

qirex posted:

The main reason to have a big drive isn't day-to-day, it's when you go on vacation. I like being able to go on a trip for 5 days and not have to meticulously examine the To Do list to make sure only the important things get recorded and don't get drowned out by the day-to-day stuff.

It was really bad when we had to take a trip during the 2nd week of the Olympics - no extra drive, and we'd just gotten HDTV, so we could record maybe, what, 20 hours of HD material? And in the end, it was all for naught; the TiVo crashed 36 hours after we left. (It's crashed 3 out of the 4 big trips we've taken; it's like it knows when it's alone and throws a fit. Unplugging the TV might have jostled the power cord, though...)

So, the benefit of more storage is peace of mind - I really can abandon it for a week and not have stuff be deleted automatically.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

kri kri posted:

Is it possible to do multi-room Tivo? I am open to hacking or whatever, and I guess I can record from the tivo and store stuff on my windows home server box, but if there is a more elegant solution let a brother know.

You can do multi-room Tivo, but it requires a subscription on the second box ($7/mo). You have to transfer shows from one box to another I think, but it can be done.

As far as upgrading your hard drive, I don't remember breaking a security seal or anything when I cracked mine open. If you clone your drive and put a new 1TB drive in and later need to send it back for warranty service, you could just put your old drive back in.

I can't believe I waited so long to upgrade my drive - I'm especially glad since I get a bunch more HD channels now with Comcast than I did before and nearly everything I record is in HD. It's easy as hell and well worth the effort.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Mentioned it a long time ago but it seemed nobody noticed.

Just wanted to share my love again for pyTivo. You setup folders to monitor on you computer and when you go to Now Playing, you can play the video files in the folder.

What it does is transcode the file to mpg2 and copy it over but as long as you have a decent network, you'll be able to watch it as it copies over without any stoppage.

There's also an audio plugin I use that I found on the tivo community forums. Forget the name but it's a sticky and it supports other formats besides just mp3 files that the tivo server only supports.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The myDVR Expander is a pretty good solution if you're worried about space. I picked up a 500GB one for $150 a year or so ago, and these days I think you can get a 1T one for $130. I've got a season pass of nearly 30 shows, of which about half are in HD, and I've gone on two week vacations without any issues. I don't think I've come close to filling it.

They really ought to stuff a larger drive in, but the expander does the job nicely until they refresh the line.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I haven't been watching much TV for the past 5 or 6 years, so I haven't been keeping up with the technology.

I used to toshiba dvd/tivo series two that I loved before I stopped watching TV. I'm about get back into TV watching again and I had some questions.

#1 I remember you could transfer shows between boxes. I think at the time I used it, it was kinda slow and didn't work too well. How well does it work now a days? I was thinking about getting an HD for the living room and a series 2 for the bedroom. Does TiVo support 802.11n?

#2 If I rent a movie on one box can I watch it on both? Are the netflix videos the same quality as on a Xbox 360? How do Amazon videos look?

#3 Are there any plans for Hulu support? Or any other video streaming?

#4 Does Youtube work well?

#5 How well does it work with video podcasts? I have a bunch of vid podcasts I'd like to watch on it.

#6 So upgrading the HD is pretty easy? I'm good with electronics so I'll most likely do this. What type of hard drive should I buy?

#7 So there is a discount to having a second Tivo. Instead of paying monthly, I more than likely will pay yearly. Can I pay for the second Tivo yearly as well and get some type of discount?

#8 I'm an Apple human being and use a MBP and iphone. Is it easy ripping shows off the Tivo and putting them on the iphone? Does ripping still take forever?

#9 is it pretty easy on a mac to get tivo to play content off my computer? I have a bunch of videos in god knows how many formats that I'd like to watch on the TV.

#10 How well does the music streaming work? Is it going to give me a similar experience as itunes? All my music is encoded in formats my ipod can understand, will Tivo handle them ok?

Ok I think that's about it!

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
I can only really answer #4, and Youtube works great, except for the sluggishness of the interface. The advanced interface, used for youtube and the new TiVo Search and extra program information, is slow as hell, and really turns me off from using it. But once you're past that, the Youtube quality and ease is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Haggins posted:

I haven't been watching much TV for the past 5 or 6 years, so I haven't been keeping up with the technology.

I used to toshiba dvd/tivo series two that I loved before I stopped watching TV. I'm about get back into TV watching again and I had some questions.

#1 I remember you could transfer shows between boxes. I think at the time I used it, it was kinda slow and didn't work too well. How well does it work now a days? I was thinking about getting an HD for the living room and a series 2 for the bedroom. Does TiVo support 802.11n?

#2 If I rent a movie on one box can I watch it on both? Are the netflix videos the same quality as on a Xbox 360? How do Amazon videos look?

#3 Are there any plans for Hulu support? Or any other video streaming?

#4 Does Youtube work well?

#5 How well does it work with video podcasts? I have a bunch of vid podcasts I'd like to watch on it.

#6 So upgrading the HD is pretty easy? I'm good with electronics so I'll most likely do this. What type of hard drive should I buy?

#7 So there is a discount to having a second Tivo. Instead of paying monthly, I more than likely will pay yearly. Can I pay for the second Tivo yearly as well and get some type of discount?

#8 I'm an Apple human being and use a MBP and iphone. Is it easy ripping shows off the Tivo and putting them on the iphone? Does ripping still take forever?

#9 is it pretty easy on a mac to get tivo to play content off my computer? I have a bunch of videos in god knows how many formats that I'd like to watch on the TV.

#10 How well does the music streaming work? Is it going to give me a similar experience as itunes? All my music is encoded in formats my ipod can understand, will Tivo handle them ok?

Ok I think that's about it!

1. Works fine depending on your network. No N. My Series 3 has a wired connection and my Series 2 has a crappy USB wireless network adaptor and stuff transfers just about fast enough to watch. If I give it a couple minute head start, I'm fine.

2. Depends. I've grabbed some stuff that lets me put it on 2 (or 3?) boxes, computer is also included as a device.

3. None that's been announced. So far it's Netflix, Disney, Youtube, and a few other things.

4. I have a few things in my favorites list that don't show up for whatever reason. Other than that it's been fine for me.

5. I've downloaded a few and they've looked fine.

6. There's a post a page or two back that'll put you on the right path. I have a Series 3 and those use SATA.

7. Here's the plans they offer https://www3.tivo.com/store/plans.do

8. Kmttg works good. Download any of the other things it needs, or you want to use. For conversion is uses "mencoder, ffmpeg, handbrake or other", so it'll be as fast as those things, which has been pretty fast for me.

9. pyTivo http://www.tivoblog.com/archives/2008/12/01/how-to-install-pytivo-on-a-mac/

There's also Galleon http://galleon.sourceforge.net/ but pyTivo is a simple solution that just does what I want without a lot of bloat.

10. http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=35 There's a solution for Windows but I don't know about Macs. The answer would be here.

• Locked thread