Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

deebo posted:

So I have everything I want working pretty well except I cannot load homebrew apps from usb hdd.

I made a wbfs partition as the first primary partition (as I think I heard this needs to be the first partition?), and fat32 as the second partition, but even with the same folders as sd card the homebrew channel wont display any apps from usb hdd (I dont have a sd card inserted when I am trying this, aparently they dont work together).

I am using version 1.0.3 of the homebrew channel which apparently supports loading from usb hdd, any idea why it isn't working (the fat32 partition is 46 gig if that matters?)

Two things: You are better off making the fat32 partition the first one. Some homebrew can only see the first partition, but the USB loaders can use any partition. Also, make sure ALL your partitions are PRIMARY and ACTIVE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Sizzlechest posted:

You can do an offline update, but you need to download the wad files in advance.

Make sure you download the Japanese wad files, otherwise you can brick your wii. Are you trying to make it a USA Wii? It can be done, but it's a little dangerous.

WOAH! Re-read. He has a US Wii, but he is using it in Japan. He wants the NORTH AMERICAN (NA) updates, not J or E. Unless of course he is trying to change regions, which is something of a different process.

EDIT: If he simply does an online update he should be fine. The Wii (should) download and update according to the region of the Wii, not according to the IP/location.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Sizzlechest posted:

You can do an offline update, but you need to download the wad files in advance.

Make sure you download the Japanese wad files, otherwise you can brick your wii. Are you trying to make it a USA Wii? It can be done, but it's a little dangerous.

No, he has a US Wii but is currently in Japan. Other way around.

Edit: Oh hi next page, how are you?

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

Sizzlechest posted:

Two things: You are better off making the fat32 partition the first one. Some homebrew can only see the first partition, but the USB loaders can use any partition. Also, make sure ALL your partitions are PRIMARY and ACTIVE.

Thanks this worked.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Kiggles posted:

WOAH! Re-read. He has a US Wii, but he is using it in Japan. He wants the NORTH AMERICAN (NA) updates, not J or E. Unless of course he is trying to change regions, which is something of a different process.

EDIT: If he simply does an online update he should be fine. The Wii (should) download and update according to the region of the Wii, not according to the IP/location.

Yes, the Wii doesn't magically download a different update based on your IP address. I was assuming he was asking something else.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So, I used the BannerBomb/HackMii method to install the HB Channel, but I'm not sure if/how to install BootMii.

And this seems important because I seem to need BootMii installed to get the HDD Loader working and when I tried to install cIOS38 it simply failed on me, suggesting to me that I should install BootMii as a IOS.

Any help would be great.

I'm on 4.1e

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 23, 2009

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Wait, the cIOS installer can use the BootMii IOS now?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Mr_Person posted:

Wait, the cIOS installer can use the BootMii IOS now?

No, I thought you needed the BootMii IOS installed to get the Cios installed. Being frank, I'm only doing it such that I can get the HDD Loader working.

Edit: Ok, I give up. cIOS Installer is spiting up a 2011 error in my face and everything I read suggests that it's because I have Firmware 4.1

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 24, 2009

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/WiiRecipe

Best program ever. I haven't installed it yet but I love it anyway.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Only one recipe, and it is the only recipe it will ever need.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Changelog posted:

8/25/09
Added Hamburgers
8/24/09 - inital release
Prints Recipe For Burritos To The Screen When Down Is Pressed

the best software changelog

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Bubble-T posted:

the best software changelog

Wiibrew Megathread: Prints burritos to screen when down is pressed.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

xarph posted:

Wiibrew Megathread: Prints burritos to screen when down is pressed.
Wiibrew Megathread: It knows burritos

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I love the topmost part too:

wiirecipe author posted:

ATTENTION it is currently not working, if someone could teach me how to trigger events using the dpad i could fix it

THAT'S ALL THE PROGRAM IS SUPPOSED TO DO HOW DOES IT NOT WORK?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
WiiRecipe needs its own megathread. Finally some quality software for the console

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Indeed. And people said there was no legitimate use for homebrew outside of piracy and emulators.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Someone got a working link for it? Mediafire is fail.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Djarum posted:

Someone got a working link for it? Mediafire is fail.

It really needs to be on the homebrew browser.

Evil Fiend
Apr 30, 2003

Xythar posted:

WiiRecipe needs its own megathread. Finally some quality software for the console

Things are moving fast. Apparently another person has contributed to the code and it now actually prints the recipe on the screen! (previously it didn't even work)

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Hahaha I bet all those people who ditched the Wii early are kicking themselves now. :smugdog:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Yeah but this is the turning point, after Nintendo catches wind of this. Will they finally kill homebrew forever to crack down on the "competition," or respect this kind of talented hobbyist production and formally ease off?

Niklas Kronwall 2.0
May 15, 2009
edit: Nevermind, found definitive answer. :)

Niklas Kronwall 2.0 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 26, 2009

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
BREAKING WIIRECIPE NEWS: It hasn't been announced on the Wiki page yet but through some perusal of the source code I can confirm that A recipe for meatloaf has been added to the application (and is either currently or will very soon be functional) and is designed to display when LEFT is pushed on the Wiimote.

This hot new scoop is exclusive to SA, remember when Kotaku picks this up that you heard it here first.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I highly recommend reading the Discussion tab for that program. It's like some of those people have no souls. :(

Some guy on Wiibrew posted:

This application seems a little pointless. At least make it look very good, and provide instructions on the screen. I don't know if you already did, because I did not bother to run it.--Bdr9 12:28, 25 August 2009 (UTC)

Yeah, maybe not exactly front page worthy. Not to put your work down but it's like a demo that doesn't really add anything new. Thav 16:04, 26 August 2009 (UTC)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Well, after a bit of this and that (and making GBS threads myself over black screens (incidentally, is there an installer for DVDX that doesn't poo poo itself with the GX Loader compatible Cios?)) I got GX Loader on my Wii.

Now to find a Hard Drive that I can actually use.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

I started using a thumb drive cause that's what I had. Now I've gotton a USB external. Is there an easy way to copy stuff off my wbfs formatted Thumb to another wbfs device?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
WBFS Manager should allow you to ping pong games with the PC. It should. Don't have things handy to confirm.

bulbous nub
Jul 29, 2007

It's ok; I'm taking it back.
Lipstick Apathy

Kiggles posted:

WBFS Manager should allow you to ping pong games with the PC. It should. Don't have things handy to confirm.

Yep, just load the drive, select the game, then hit "extract iso."

Or, better yet, plug both of the drives in, the select "Drive-to-drive" in WBFS manager, load your old one in the first normal way, then your new one in the section that appeared below. Then select the game and then "copy to this drive."

bulbous nub fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Aug 27, 2009

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

bulbous nub posted:

Yep, just load the drive, select the game, then hit "extract iso."

Or, better yet, plug both of the drives in, the select "Drive-to-drive" in WBFS manager, load your old one in the first normal way, then your new one in the section that appeared below. Then select the game and then "copy to this drive."

Wow, I never noticed the little "drive-to-drive" on the bottom left. Thanks.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

drewhead posted:

Wow, I never noticed the little "drive-to-drive" on the bottom left. Thanks.

Nor did I. Which left me finding and using crappy, crappy programs to copy all of my games on the weekend.
I am a tool.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Xythar posted:

BREAKING WIIRECIPE NEWS: It hasn't been announced on the Wiki page yet but through some perusal of the source code I can confirm that A recipe for meatloaf has been added to the application (and is either currently or will very soon be functional) and is designed to display when LEFT is pushed on the Wiimote.

This hot new scoop is exclusive to SA, remember when Kotaku picks this up that you heard it here first.
I was coming to post this. However there is an error in the code such that it will print a recipe for meatloaf and then you can use a cheat code to see a recipe for meatloaf made from Tortilla Chips, Refried Beans, jalapeno peppers, salsa, Ground Beef, guacamole, salt and pepper, Cilantron(sic).

Has anyone used this helpful app yet? Without it I would have never known to put "beef chicken" in my burrito, and that A1 Steak Sauce was optional in a hamburger.

EDIT: Wait. Is it just me or does wait_anyKey() return immediately if you don't let go of the DPAD between the time the recipe starts printing and when it finishes printing? This would cause it to trigger burritos infinitely as long as you hold down.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 27, 2009

rendicil
Mar 30, 2003
I like to piss in the cheerios.
So I just bought MP Trilogy for some hot Samus Aran action (and new play control!!) I pop it in the drive and get all excited when I see the system update logo. So I didn't update the Wii because of the bannerbomb hack that I had done when I upgraded to 4.0 - will updating with MP Trilogy disc make everything else I've done up to this point not work, and will I have to reload all those custom IOS files to make sure that all my wiibrew works?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

rendicil posted:

So I just bought MP Trilogy for some hot Samus Aran action (and new play control!!) I pop it in the drive and get all excited when I see the system update logo. So I didn't update the Wii because of the bannerbomb hack that I had done when I upgraded to 4.0 - will updating with MP Trilogy disc make everything else I've done up to this point not work, and will I have to reload all those custom IOS files to make sure that all my wiibrew works?

What exactly are you doing with your wii? Are you just running basic homebrew or are you running backups via hard drive/discs?

If you're just running basic homebrew, you're fine with updating. If you're doing more than that, use waninkoko's safe 4.1 updater.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

rendicil posted:

So you're running this off a disc and not a USB Loader? Okay, you should install Preloader. There's a hack that prevents the upgrade from happening.

rendicil
Mar 30, 2003
I like to piss in the cheerios.

Sizzlechest posted:

So you're running this off a disc and not a USB Loader? Okay, you should install Preloader. There's a hack that prevents the upgrade from happening.

Well after searching around and trying to load preloader (couldn't get that to work) I ran it off of the disc by loading up Gecko192 through HBC. That seemed to work just fine.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hey. I just took the plunge and am greatly enjoying my expanded Wii, but I'm a bit confused as to what I should do with my VC and Wiiware.
I followed instructions to rename their folder, but now its all set up is the 'private' folder safe to use again as long as I keep the new folders there? Can I just plop my stuff back in around it and access my purchased stuff from the SD menu?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
You can remove bannerbomb as soon as you have the homebrew channel installed.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

I'm trying unsuccessfully to get USB Loader GX to work. I've installed cIOS38 (rev 14). When I try to open USB Loader through HBC the initial dialogue box pops up with the description of the app, but when I click on "Load" the orange load status bar pops up and goes to 100% right before the screen goes black, the Wii freezes and controller immediately turns off. Anyone know what's up? Do I need to install the Trucha Bug Restorer or something? I'm thinking I might be doing something really stupid and that there's an easy fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

rendicil posted:

Well after searching around and trying to load preloader (couldn't get that to work) I ran it off of the disc by loading up Gecko192 through HBC. That seemed to work just fine.

You probably need to run Trucha Bug Restorer on IOS 36 in order to install Preloader.

• Locked thread