Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Okay, what the poo poo. I just finished 4-2, and was all psyched about getting the LSoS, and when I went back to 2-1, the loving blacksmith is just gone.

I've been hopping to 2-1 whenever I get my body to die in it just to bring tendency down, and it was black when I went there. Does he vanish when tendency is black, or did he just randomly disappear and now my game is completely hosed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

french lies
Apr 16, 2008
WTF? I shifted my world tendency to pure black so I could get the Miralda encounter (door wasn't open) and now the ministers don't appear on 1-3! Apparently you only get the ambush if you have slight black tendency or something. Anyway, I got the gate open and am about to free Yuria for Firestorm-goodness.

Update: Ah hell yes, Penetrator down on first try. Soul Light made mincemeat out of him while Biorr was drawing aggro.

Late Edit: 4-2 and 5-2 are such bullshit levels, gently caress this game. How do you even get past the second reaper in 4-2?

french lies fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 22, 2009

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

french lies posted:

Late Edit: 4-2 and 5-2 are such bullshit levels, gently caress this game. How do you even get past the second reaper in 4-2?

5-2 isn't so bad, you just have to become an expert at cheesing the poo poo out of those giant trolls by using the bow. They don't stagger with weapons or soul light, so I wouldn't recommend either unless you can get them onto dry land.

Everything else is pretty easy. You can see/hear those flying bugs from a mile away, and running through the swamp lets you bypass almost the whole second fog part.

The boss is also really easy. I'm not a big fan of the 5-x levels in the first place, though.

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

Can you play this game with a theif playstyle of backstabs and sneak attacks, or does it favor more open combat?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh yes, backstabbing absolutely rules, if you have the right weapon and abilities.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Keep in mind while other players and most common enemies are fair game, bosses aren't really vulnerable to backstabs.

GodofGravity
Jun 20, 2005
Fun Shoe

french lies posted:

Pick up a bow and a lot of arrows (200-250), go to 1-2 and head up the first tower after killing the spear slimes. You can now shoot the dragon to death, provided you get the timing down and have about 30 minutes to spare. Try aiming between the crevices in the parapet and pressing the fire button right after he roars (which means he's getting ready to breathe fire). You'll know your shot hit if you see a trail of blood as he swoops up.

Once he's dead head to the dragon nest in 1-1 and pick up the items there, including the Ring of Great Strength near the Blue Dragon (you might need to suicide for it). Among the other items you picked up will be a Purple Flame Shield, which you can use to block some of Flamelurker's attacks. I killed him using Soul Light, dunno how other spells/weapons stack up against him though.

3-1 is a piece of cake except for the black phantom near the end. Flamethrower helped a lot against the phantom and the Idol. Killing the Idol nets you the Doll Demon Soul which you can trade to Sage Freke for Soul Light, which is so good that it by itself makes the game significantly easier.

You're doing fine if you've gotten past those three levels, if you read Youtube comments you'll see that some people aren't even getting past Phalanx. I'd suggest putting a lot of points into magic and will from now on because later when you can trade demon's souls for spells you'll get some incredibly powerful ones.
Thanks for the tips, I've already killed the red dragon, just hadn't been using the shield, guess I thought it would slow me down too much. I'll toss it on and give it a go tonight.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

french lies posted:

WTF? I shifted my world tendency to pure black so I could get the Miralda encounter (door wasn't open) and now the ministers don't appear on 1-3! Apparently you only get the ambush if you have slight black tendency or something. Anyway, I got the gate open and am about to free Yuria for Firestorm-goodness.

Update: Ah hell yes, Penetrator down on first try. Soul Light made mincemeat out of him while Biorr was drawing aggro.

Doh, I forgot you wouldn't have access to Firestorm when I recommended it.

5-2 was the worst to learn, but once you know how to navigate it it's not that bad. And when you get through the second fog door you can open the shortcut without too much trouble.

The second reaper in 4-2 can either be sniped from the position of the first of his minions or you can melee him after rushing through the 2 first minions and making a sharp right just as you hit the bridge in the centre. Some people apparently drop down to him from above, but I wouldn't recommend it.

french lies
Apr 16, 2008

Hamburger Test posted:

Doh, I forgot you wouldn't have access to Firestorm when I recommended it.

5-2 was the worst to learn, but once you know how to navigate it it's not that bad. And when you get through the second fog door you can open the shortcut without too much trouble.

The second reaper in 4-2 can either be sniped from the position of the first of his minions or you can melee him after rushing through the 2 first minions and making a sharp right just as you hit the bridge in the centre. Some people apparently drop down to him from above, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Just beat 4-2 thanks to this. Sniped the second reaper and ran past the third since I didn't bring a melee weapon with me. Old Hero was a really easy boss, but still one of the scariest to me because of his design and the prospect of trudging through the whole level again if I hosed up.Of course, now I'm stuck on Storm King until I find a reliable way to dodge/evade his barbs, Joy.

It took me a while to get into this game but it is definitely one of the best I have ever played. There are a couple of things that bother me though and I hope From will fix them in a sequel: first, make every level have two shortcuts so you don't have to do the tedious redos of the first parts of each level. Some of them are just long tunnels or stretches without any enemies, so I don't think you'd miss out on anything by doing this. They could compensate for it by jacking up the boss difficulty. I don't mind harder bosses so long as I can go straight to them, and this would remove the incentive to cheese some of the tougher fights like Tower Knight.

Second, get rid of the composer. Either make the sequel have no music at all including during boss fights, or get the team behind God of War to do the boss music so I can have some epic timpani and brass while I'm fighting them instead of the pitiful excuse for music we have now. Seriously, imagine if Flamelurker had this instead of this?

Late update: Maneater and Old Monk down, that just leaves 4-3, 5-2, 5-3 and Allant left for me to hack my way through. I had some loving GOW cover battle going with the phantom guards since they pretty much one-shotted me with everything. And am I the only one creeped out by the face bugs? Those things are going to give me nightmares for days. :gonk:

french lies fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 23, 2009

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.

french lies posted:

...now I'm stuck on Storm King until I find a reliable way to dodge/evade his barbs, Joy.

I find that just hiding behind that broken house works best. You can just wait between the house walls and the mountainside until he does his attack, then run out and attack with Storm Ruler or whatever ranged attack you've got.

The house is also great for clearing out all the other enemies as well since the Storm Ruler attack will go through walls, but theirs won't.

french lies
Apr 16, 2008

Varkas posted:

I find that just hiding behind that broken house works best. You can just wait between the house walls and the mountainside until he does his attack, then run out and attack with Storm Ruler or whatever ranged attack you've got.

The house is also great for clearing out all the other enemies as well since the Storm Ruler attack will go through walls, but theirs won't.
Awesome! Cleared him out on my first try without taking a single hit using your method.

Ended up doing 5-2 and 5-3 as well, which weren't so bad after I cheesed my way through the first giant goblin using Total Protection. I killed him legit on my first try by sniping the small goblins and doing an awesome melee battle against him with the Dragon Sword. Unfortunately I died to another giant goblin a few minutes later so I couldn't be bothered doing it the hard way after that,

Holy poo poo, only one stage left, I seriously can't believe I'm actually beating this game! A few weeks ago when I was dying non-stop to Phalanx I thought I'd never be able to do it.

french lies fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 23, 2009

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.
Lets say I accidentally cast firestorm on Yulia in the Nexus. Is there any way to make her stop hating me. I already let her kill me once.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
So I'm level 16, and have finished 1-1 and 1-2. I can farm the crazy rollerskeletons at the very entrance of 4-1 if absolutely necessary to get souls and buy stuff, so I'm wondering: what should I do since my character is full melee? I can't carry enough arrows to not only be able to sprint but also kill anything, and I used my magic slot learning the heal miracle only to realize that I don't have that crazy shard that lets you cast.

So basically I'm just slowly working through the 3-1 entrance since 2-1 requires range for me (the dudes that cast fire at you rock my poo poo since I can't block them or hit back without dying), 4-1 is kind of crazy, and 5-* can just go to hell. I'm using that crushing axe from the top of 2-1 and the generic knight's starter set. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

french lies
Apr 16, 2008

William Munny posted:

Lets say I accidentally cast firestorm on Yulia in the Nexus. Is there any way to make her stop hating me. I already let her kill me once.
Try using an archstone and returning to the Nexus afterwards, if that doesn't work you're probably screwed until you start NG+. Look on the bright side, at least it wasn't Stockpile Thomas.

quote:

So I'm level 16, and have finished 1-1 and 1-2. I can farm the crazy rollerskeletons at the very entrance of 4-1 if absolutely necessary to get souls and buy stuff, so I'm wondering: what should I do since my character is full melee? I can't carry enough arrows to not only be able to sprint but also kill anything, and I used my magic slot learning the heal miracle only to realize that I don't have that crazy shard that lets you cast.

So basically I'm just slowly working through the 3-1 entrance since 2-1 requires range for me (the dudes that cast fire at you rock my poo poo since I can't block them or hit back without dying), 4-1 is kind of crazy, and 5-* can just go to hell. I'm using that crushing axe from the top of 2-1 and the generic knight's starter set. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do?
Arrows don't count towards your equipped weight. For the ministers in 2-1, they're tricky but use a piercing weapon and roll to dodge their fireballs DONT BLOCK since they'll rape you over and over if you try. If you haven't tried a spear/shield combo yet I strongly recommend you do, it's extremely effective against a lot of the enemies, including the guards in 3-1. Keeping your shield raised, baiting an attack then strong attacking once and normal attacking twice while they are recovering will usually be enough. You can stick with the Fluted set for a while since it's a pretty drat good armor.

Oh, and don't worry about miracles yet, Heal is almost completely useless since you'll always have enough grass to go around. Try learning some magic instead for Total Protection (use the Tower Knight Soul) and the instances where you'll need ranged power.

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.

William Munny posted:

Nope.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

Sheep posted:

Unlike a lot of people, I found Heal to be really useful early on because you don't have a mountain of free grass yet. Especially since I started as a knight, and you don't get the catalysts or talisman very early.

Luckily, if you can kill the skeletons in 4-1 then you can get to the first Talisman of God, which is in that level.

There's only a handful of enemy types in 4-1: rolling skeletons, the gold skeletons, manta rays, and those black katana skeletons. If you can kill rolling skeletons, there's only 3 gold skeletons in the whole level and one black katana skeleton (right before the boss). Just slaughter your way through until you find the Talisman.

EDIT: The rolling skeletons are really slow, so a fast weapon like the Iron Knuckles or Hands of God (I think they have the attack animation and attack speed) work very well.

french lies
Apr 16, 2008
Finally beat this motherfucker of a game after a really fun battle with Allant. He wasn't that hard after I figured out his attack patterns, even though I have to be honest and say I was really happy to have Total Protection on for the first part of the battle. I thought the final "boss" fit in with the game's style, and the design for the Old One was awesome.

I think 1-3 and 1-4 really highlighted how much better I had gotten as a player. I was approaching each event with a tactical mindset, evaluating what equipment I should use and how much stamina I could spend without compromising my defense. Stabbing the Red Knights to death while they flailed their swords and spears in vain sticks out as the most satisfying moment in the entire game to me. That, and seeing the "oh poo poo" look on the skeletons' skulls when they realized that I had just clobbered them to death with a 20-pound club.

Simply an awesome game and a day 1 buy for me if they ever make a sequel to it.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

The Epee Rapier is now my favorite weapon. You can keep your shield up and just *pokepokepoke* enemies to death.

I wish I'd had it when I did 2-1 for the first time. Looks like it upgrades nice too.

LunaSky
Sep 10, 2008

Even Diablo has a soft side
Someone give me their insanity catalyst to go with my sexy moving soul arrow! I know someone isnt using their yellow demons soul! i also need lots of darkmoonstone so let me know if you guys need something (and what soul LVL you are) so i can try to help you out as well! thanks

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I got home from work today and got on some kind of crazy roll. I went from getting dominated like a little bitch in 2-1 over the course of two days, to clearing both 3-1 and 2-1 in one afternoon! I'm still using that silly +1 axe of crushing and a +2 short spear though, so it's pretty clear that I need to up my damage output stat.

This crappy little compound short bow or whatever that I have took ages to kill the Armored Spider, too. No idea how you're supposed to melee that dude anyways.

Guess tomorrow is 2-2 so I can forge something that doesn't suck?

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Sheep posted:

I got home from work today and got on some kind of crazy roll. I went from getting dominated like a little bitch in 2-1 over the course of two days, to clearing both 3-1 and 2-1 in one afternoon! I'm still using that silly +1 axe of crushing and a +2 short spear though, so it's pretty clear that I need to up my damage output stat.

This crappy little compound short bow or whatever that I have took ages to kill the Armored Spider, too. No idea how you're supposed to melee that dude anyways.

Guess tomorrow is 2-2 so I can forge something that doesn't suck?

That would probably be a good idea. With 2-2 you have two options for getting to Flamelurker. Left, or right. Left takes you through the level (which I have actually only done once, for some reason) and right leads to a mineshaft with lots of tricky jumps, and when you reach the bottom you're right outside the Flamelurker's door.

french lies
Apr 16, 2008
Make sure to get the Purple Flame Shield before confronting Flamelurker or you'll have a hell of a time fighting him. Getting a magic weapon is also highly recommended,

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

Well 3-3 is kind of a bitch. I must be bad at fighting other people or leveling or something, because 4 dudes in a row killed me instantly when I walked in the door with Firestorm. And then one wanted to add me as a friend on the PSN.

Then I guess the computer couldn't find someone and I fought the NPC who was super easy. Whew.

Raptop
Sep 3, 2004
not queer for western digital

Sheep posted:

I beat him a while ago so it's tough to remember. You zig zag run down his hallway until you're close to him and he puts his arms down. You can punish him with impunity at that point until he raises his arms up. At that point you have to block and stay blocking while he does a room filling scissor melee attack. After that he'll inhale to do a fire spray and you need to run back down the tunnel to a notch halfway down that lets you hide from the flames.

There's a youtube video that show all this.

Golgozor
Jun 20, 2002

Medicine Snakes
I'm on hiatus from Demon's Souls for now, but my brother cannot get past the blue dragon in 1-4. He says he gets killed on the approach everytime, no matter what he does. I don't know what to tell him, because I haven't even gone to 1-3 yet.

PSN ID(PS4): Steamshovel_Dan WiiU: Steamshovel (not playing it ATM)

GodofGravity
Jun 20, 2005
Fun Shoe

Sheep posted:

This crappy little compound short bow...

I love that bow, upgraded mine to a vicious compound short bow +3 and It does some nice damage. Used it to take a big chunk of life from Armored Spider before charging and meleeing him. Don't really remember using a good melee strategy for him other than rolling around to dodge stuff and just beating his rear end. Also used to kill the red dragon in 1-2 using only about 40-50 arrows instead of the 100+ some people talk about using on him. I think it's a great bow to have, even better than you can upgrade it to the lava bow later on.

Quick update on my progress. Cleared 3-1 and got Soul Light, does way more damage than Soul Arrow. I tried equipping the purple flame shield and taking down flamelurker, but I was lazy and kept dieing trying to use the shortcut to him so I gave up for the night. Also noticed that even with the strength ring, it said I didn't have enough strength to use it. Kind of odd that the ring only ups your max equip weight, not your str stat. (need a 22 to "use" it, I'm at 19).

Also, a quick question on the insanity catalyst. Is it worth using with a low magic character? Here's my thought; it increases magic damage, but cuts your MP in half. Seeing as I have low MP to begin with is it better to be able to cast 2 (not sure exact number, just a estimate) Soul Light type spells at a little more damage or be able to cast 4-5 (again, estimate) at normal damage?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Golgozor posted:

I'm on hiatus from Demon's Souls for now, but my brother cannot get past the blue dragon in 1-4. He says he gets killed on the approach everytime, no matter what he does. I don't know what to tell him, because I haven't even gone to 1-3 yet.

If I remember right he does a right to left sweep and then a left to right. He also moves in and out a bit. Get as close as you can without dying, wait for the left to right sweep to start and floor it as soon as you're clear. You should get under him just as he's sweeping back to the left. Make sure he goes all the way throgh the door because his fire can get pretty drat close to the doorway.

Raptop
Sep 3, 2004
not queer for western digital

ChesterJT posted:

If I remember right he does a right to left sweep and then a left to right. He also moves in and out a bit. Get as close as you can without dying, wait for the left to right sweep to start and floor it as soon as you're clear. You should get under him just as he's sweeping back to the left. Make sure he goes all the way throgh the door because his fire can get pretty drat close to the doorway.

I wound up sitting around to kill him just because his rumble effect would cause the game to slow down and chunk while I was fighting Allant. Firespray and 20+ fresh spice later...

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
It appears killing the red dragon in 1-2 gives you white tendency in world 1, so I decided to go kill the stuff behind the gate that opens once you have full WT in that world. Went in, killed the executioner lady and the phantoms, all is well. Get to the bottom to loot the Brushwood stuff, manage to pickup the shield only as I couldn't carry the rest. As I'm about to start ditching my starting fluted gear so I can pickup the brushwood gear, what happens?

You have been signed out of the Playstation Network. :ughh:

Edit: gently caress you Sony, your network setup is retarded. Why in god's name does the PS3 connect to unauthorized open wireless networks?

Sheep fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Aug 26, 2009

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
You have one other chance to get the rest of the brushwood armor, and unless you already have really really high endurance you wouldn't be wearing it yet anyway.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
When you die in a level, and aren't able to reclaim your soul before dying again, do you lose the first soul?

I've been progressively making less and less progress in 4-1, first making it to the Adjudicator with 17k souls (dying in one hit at full health because he backed me into a corner and you can't roll past him is all sorts of rage-inducing) and I don't have enough turpentine left to make it through the gold skeletons.

I'd do 2-2 and get the dragon's soul so I can use Ed, but screw navigating those cramped tunnels with the wonky rear end camera right now. I gave up trying to figure out the correct fall order for the right shaft since that makes even less sense, even going by the GameFAQs guides.

This game has claimed five hours of my day, but at least I've made some progress in clearing out random optional crap, which is more than I can say for the first three days combined :v:

Edit: and am I correct in assuming that there's no shortcut through 4-1? Having to go through all of those skeletons, while great for farming souls (that I'll just lose again), is really, really tedious.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Aug 26, 2009

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.

Sheep posted:

When you die in a level, and aren't able to reclaim your soul before dying again, do you lose the first soul?

Correct.

Sheep posted:

Edit: and am I correct in assuming that there's no shortcut through 4-1? Having to go through all of those skeletons, while great for farming souls (that I'll just lose again), is really, really tedious.

No, there is a shortcut, but it's sort of a glitch. It's very difficult to describe in text but there are probably youtube videos and there may be something on the wiki as well.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

Sheep posted:

The level's not really that big. You go up kill the first five skeletons, through the arch, run past the grey demon/his corpse, go up the ladder, kill two skeletons, run out the back, run around the side, kill three gold skeletons in a row (easy with soul light or a bow), then down the stairs and kill the dual katana skeleton (who can be killed with magic easily by going up those stairs and onto that platform).

Adjudicator pinned me in the corner a few times as well, so I know the run. ;)

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I have no magic and my bow is just that crappy one from 1-2 upgraded to +6. Haven't found a replacement yet.

Guess I should go free whatshisface from 3-1? I have 2 miracle slots and only one spell (heal) since I never bothered with the guy, so if there's some miracle I could use, that might do the trick? Otherwise katana skeletons (like the one at the beginning of the level) totally destroy my poo poo. I ended up just shooting the one in front of the boss room a few times and then running out into the junction over and over until he died.

For reference I've done 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 3-1, and basically all of 4-1, and am SL 33 or so. Basically alternating between +1 Axe of Crushing from 2-1 and a +6 short spear as needed. Although now I make it a point to carry that bow plus 200 arrows since there's so much crap you can cheese with arrows in this game.

Is there anywhere you can buy those one time use enchantments for your weapons? If not, I'm gonna have to farm sticky white substances or something.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 26, 2009

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

Sheep posted:

Is there anywhere you can buy those one time use enchantments for your weapons? If not, I'm gonna have to farm sticky white substances or something.

The only attack miracle is Rage of God, from the soul of the 2-3 boss.

You can buy Sticky White Stuff from Graverobber Blige (Bilge?) in 4-2, I don't know if he sells them in 4-1. They're 5000 souls each.

There's a free Crescent Falchion +1 (which deals magic damage) in 4-1, you could use that.

And you shouldn't be able to take those katana skeletons in melee, they're really tough for most of the game. I can beat them now, but it takes two soul lights, and I wouldn't dare melee them.

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.

Sheep posted:

I have no magic and my bow is just that crappy one from 1-2 upgraded to +6. Haven't found a replacement yet.

Guess I should go free whatshisface from 3-1? I have 2 miracle slots and only one spell (heal) since I never bothered with the guy, so if there's some miracle I could use, that might do the trick? Otherwise katana skeletons (like the one at the beginning of the level) totally destroy my poo poo. I ended up just shooting the one in front of the boss room a few times and then running out into the junction over and over until he died.

For reference I've done 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 3-1, and basically all of 4-1, and am SL 33 or so. Basically alternating between +1 Axe of Crushing from 2-1 and a +6 short spear as needed. Although now I make it a point to carry that bow plus 200 arrows since there's so much crap you can cheese with arrows in this game.

To get access to more miracles you have to free Urbain from 4-2. Sage Freke who is in 3-1 teaches only magic.

I know you said you don't want to bother with the tunnels in 2-2, but they're not that bad if you bring some healing supplies and take it slow. I wish I had some video recording equipment so that I could demonstrate the proper way to drop down the mineshaft. If you do go back to 2-2 make sure you get the crescent falchion from 4-1 as Arcaeris suggests first. It's quite effective against the enemies in that level and against Flamelurker as well.

If you find yourself getting too frustrated with a certain area I'd suggest going somewhere else for a break. Getting frustrated tends to make one impatient which pretty much guarantees death in this game.

Arcaeris posted:

The only attack miracle is Rage of God, from the soul of the 2-3 boss.

You can buy Sticky White Stuff from Graverobber Blige (Bilge?) in 4-2, I don't know if he sells them in 4-1. They're 5000 souls each.

There's a free Crescent Falchion +1 (which deals magic damage) in 4-1, you could use that.

And you shouldn't be able to take those katana skeletons in melee, they're really tough for most of the game. I can beat them now, but it takes two soul lights, and I wouldn't dare melee them.

Blige sells sticky white stuff in 4-1 for 5000 souls, but he only has about three of them. I don't think Sheep has access to any area where sticky white stuff can be farmed either. I think that only drops in 4-2 and maybe 5-2.

The two katana skeletons are perfectly killable with melee, but the tactic takes some getting used to. You need to wait until they do their jumping attack and roll just passed them. Then you immediately turn around and backstab them. If you've got a weapon that does some good magic damage you might be able to finish them off with a few more hits after that before they recover. If you don't think you'll be able to finish them though you should probably back off and wait for them to do the jump attack again. I even managed this strategy with my SL1 Royal, although I have to admit it was pretty terrifying.

Having said that, if you're not comfortable with melee yet you could look into learning a few spells like Soul Light. Although I think everyone, even casters need to take the time to learn melee properly. For the most part I think melee is easier than a lot of other action games because you don't need to remember crazy combos or be able to pull of certain special moves. Even the timing on a lot of things isn't all that unforgiving. Mostly it just takes patience.

Oae Ui fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 26, 2009

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I figure I'll move on to either Flamelurker or start working on 5-1 tonight. I have no way to kill those gigantic fire beetles in 2-1 without getting them stuck in the terrain though. And screw 4-1 for a while, that area is just annoying. At least 1/2/3-1 were cool and didn't have giant flying manta rays that shoot tails at you.

Guess I get to try to ninjasteal that falchion before I make a go at 2-1 though :sigh:

Slab_Bulkhead
Mar 17, 2009

Sheep posted:

I figure I'll move on to either Flamelurker or start working on 5-1 tonight. I have no way to kill those gigantic fire beetles in 2-1 without getting them stuck in the terrain though. And screw 4-1 for a while, that area is just annoying. At least 1/2/3-1 were cool and didn't have giant flying manta rays that shoot tails at you.

Guess I get to try to ninjasteal that falchion before I make a go at 2-1 though :sigh:

If you equip the Thief Ring the mantas will really only annoy in a couple of parts.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Slab_Bulkhead posted:

If you equip the Thief Ring the mantas will really only annoy in a couple of parts.

If you take off your armor and walk instead of run, they're even more harmless.

4-2 spoiler: It's training for the 4-2 boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Wow...so with all the attention this game is getting here, and the size of this thread before the American release date, I figure I should buy the Asian version. Especially since it looks like the American one won't be playable on the servers all of you are using. Is my thinking correct so far?

• Locked thread