Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Christoff posted:

What's the most ridiculous thing you guys have transported/done on your bike?

I just went with a bodyboard in a board bag and wore it like a backpack. It wasn't too far of a journey but I definitely got some looks. I've put bits in plastic bags on the handle bars. Other than that I did go through a drive-thru once but after that I only had to ride 2 blocks.

I assume you've all carried a set of tires around your body and a pizza on the gas tank.

I went shopping at Ikea.
Ok so I didn't attempt to load my pillion seat with flat-pack, but I stocked up on pots & pans and misc. household stuff. Backpack full, with one of those blue tarpaulin bags full, bungee corded to the seat with a big cast-iron pan on top to top it off. I'm pretty sure I looked like a gypsy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
2 tires around my waist plus a to go bag in my clutch hand. Got a fair number of strange looks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I picked up two new tires for my XL250, while on my XL250. Just put them around my waist and headed off.

I also dont think I have ever gone through a drivethrough on my bike without someone during the process asking how I was going to manage to carry the food.

Apparently z3n and I live the same life.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Got an addressed direct mail piece the other day advertising for Forza Ducati, and that I should see my participating Canadian Ducati dealer today!

It was postmaked in Sweden. :raise:

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Dubs posted:

They also sell a 'restricted' 650 under the learner laws that can be unrestricted easily, so i'm sure they are still selling them.

From what I hear QLD is removing all "restricted" bikes from it's LAM's list due to it being too easy to de-restrict, and are pushing other states to do the same. It makes sense, unless you manage to devise some tamper proof restriction someone is going to be an idiot and remove it.

There was also recently some drama's in NSW where 6 bikes have been de-registered after a dealer was restricting bikes like R6's to 33RWHP and managing to get the registered as LAM's approved bikes (here's one in Vic http://firesport.com.au/yamaha-r6-lams-approved-motor-bike-250-750-1100--ad136703.htm) then the learners would just de-restrict it when they got home, it wouldn't have been the cheapest thing to do, but a few people did it.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Rudager posted:

From what I hear QLD is removing all "restricted" bikes from it's LAM's list due to it being too easy to de-restrict, and are pushing other states to do the same. It makes sense, unless you manage to devise some tamper proof restriction someone is going to be an idiot and remove it.

There was also recently some drama's in NSW where 6 bikes have been de-registered after a dealer was restricting bikes like R6's to 33RWHP and managing to get the registered as LAM's approved bikes (here's one in Vic http://firesport.com.au/yamaha-r6-lams-approved-motor-bike-250-750-1100--ad136703.htm) then the learners would just de-restrict it when they got home, it wouldn't have been the cheapest thing to do, but a few people did it.

The QLD government is loving moronic and is at the arse end of learner regulations. It's not going to happen. Ironically, the 6 bikes de-registered in NSW did have sealed restrictors.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Walking back from lunch just now, I saw a guy on an immaculate 85 VFR 500 Interceptor. Stopped to talk to him for a few minutes; real nice guy. Wish I'd thought to take a picture, as it's the first Interceptor I can remember seeing around here. Are they especially rare?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

my neighbor when I lived in Mississauga had one, also mint. He never rode it, but kept it in tip top shape. Completely anecdotal, but it seems the only time you see them they're kept like museum pieces.
(This guy also had an immaculate IROC-Z that saw the street once or twice per year, but saw the polishing cloth much more frequently)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Pvt. Public posted:

Walking back from lunch just now, I saw a guy on an immaculate 85 VFR 500 Interceptor. Stopped to talk to him for a few minutes; real nice guy. Wish I'd thought to take a picture, as it's the first Interceptor I can remember seeing around here. Are they especially rare?

The tricolor ones are amazing looking. I love the red/white/blue thing honda had going on in the 80s.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

blugu64 posted:

The tricolor ones are amazing looking. I love the red/white/blue thing honda had going on in the 80s.

Yeah he said it was an 86, but I looked up some pictures when I got back and I could only find 85s with the tricolor scheme he had. And yes, such a gorgeous paint scheme. It still had the frame stickers on it, completely intact.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Well, my girlfriends KDX 200 is now completely ready to rock despite her tearing her ACL. That means I get to ride it!

It has recieved in the past two months:

New linkage bearings and 2 linkage bars
Swingarm bearings
Wheel bearings
Waterpump seal
New tires (MotOZ)
Handlebar dampeners
Grips
Powervalve Cleaned
Leaner jetting

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
I once transported my pc tower, all the cables and games in a big sports bag and my 22" TFT to a LAN. Luckily I had a carry case for my tower so I could carry that slung over my shoulder, resting on the seat behind me. The other two I bungee'ed onto the seat behind me, bag first and then the screen facedown on top of it.

If I was going to do that again I'd get a bigger sports bag so my screen would actually fit in. The thing I was most scared of was that it would rain and get water all over my lovely lovely screen. Stupid really.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Uthor posted:

Other than totally overloading the rear rack on my bike, nothing out of the ordinary. I did follow my friend when he rode with a chainsaw sticking out from the back of his bike. That was interesting.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Uthor posted:

Other than totally overloading the rear rack on my bike, nothing out of the ordinary. I did follow my friend when he rode with a chainsaw sticking out from the back of his bike. That was interesting.

It would be interesting to see him and the guy with the shotgun (appeared in the pictures thread a bit ago) sitting side by side at a traffic light.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

2ndclasscitizen posted:

The QLD government is loving moronic and is at the arse end of learner regulations. It's not going to happen. Ironically, the 6 bikes de-registered in NSW did have sealed restrictors.

It makes sense though, just about everyone I've ever talked to who was getting/had one for their L/P's got one with the intent to de-restrict it on the sly because "LAM's bikes are for pussies"

And if you start letting people restrict and LAM's register individual bikes instead of whole models it would soon become a giant cluster gently caress to keep track of and enforce.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Christoff posted:

What's the most ridiculous thing you guys have transported/done on your bike?

I just went with a bodyboard in a board bag and wore it like a backpack. It wasn't too far of a journey but I definitely got some looks. I've put bits in plastic bags on the handle bars. Other than that I did go through a drive-thru once but after that I only had to ride 2 blocks.

I assume you've all carried a set of tires around your body and a pizza on the gas tank.

I carried my mountain bike strapped to my rack once. Hell of a thing.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I wasn't sure where to post it, but this looks like a good place for it.

Yesterday our local Harley dealer had Buell demo rides. It was really small compared to their Harley demo day that they do, but that's not a bad thing. On the 1125cr test ride I got to go out alone instead of with a group.

I rode two bikes, the XB12cgs (which I've always been a big fan of), and the new 1125cr, which I didn't even know existed.

XB12 - Pretty much what everyone always says. Nimble chassis, good handling (though I don't have much to compare it to), great brakes, and I liked the riser bars. Had the hilarious harley shake-you-to-death thing going on, sounded good but put off a tremendous amount of heat. It wasn't even hot yesterday, maybe high 70s and we didn't get caught in any traffic and it was still pretty hot ridding the thing. Now, to the engine. Let me sum it up with this emot :laugh:

My ride is a BMW F650, which is a whopping 50hp and maybe 30 or so ft/lbs. I was expecting a fairly hairy beast but the engine was pretty much bleh. There were no real deadspots over the rev range (though I don't think I took it to redline), it was a linear rush of acceleration, but I have to say it was pretty disappointing. The fuel injection was meh, there was a large dead spot on the throttle where nothing happened. You also couldn't blip the throttle while idling, some sort of servo throttle body thing kinda made it choke, it sounded like it was going to stall. It almost felt like the clutch was slipping or something because it would make noise but it wouldn't pull away that fast.

1125cr - This one is a bit different. I'll sum this up by :aaaaa: Definitely the fastest bike I've ever ridden, and I'm not afraid to admit I thought it was too fast for me. It's geared a bit lower than the regular 1125r, and I was surprised that I was turning around 4k rpms in 6th around 65-70. I got on it a few times and I was very impressed with how hard it was pulling just at 6k, on the way back I got on it in 5th and took it up to some higher speeds and holy crap it just pulls and pulls. And I still didn't make it over about 7.5k or so. Like I said, too fast for me.

The engine was worlds better than the Buell engine, and the throttle/FI felt much more polished. I'm not used to the clip-on type riding position, so I felt more comfortable on the XB12. The main gripe I had with it is that the clutch engaged all the way at the top of the clutch and I have small hands so that was a bit tricky. Other than that, it was a pretty fun bike.

My friend who went with me also test rode a CBR1k they had there (they also allow testrides of all their trade-ins) and I would have loved a go on that thing. He said it was even more of a monster than the CR. Frankly, I would have rather rode a 600 SS to see what it was like, but I'd take what I could get.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Rudager posted:

It makes sense though, just about everyone I've ever talked to who was getting/had one for their L/P's got one with the intent to de-restrict it on the sly because "LAM's bikes are for pussies"

That's irrelevant because most of the people who say that never actually do it.

Rudager posted:

And if you start letting people restrict and LAM's register individual bikes instead of whole models it would soon become a giant cluster gently caress to keep track of and enforce.

That's the thing, you can't do just restrict and register your own LAMS bike. At best, you can get an bike that fits the criteria as stock added to the list, this tends to only be older models though. The 6 bikes that were de-registered were done by a dealer (This mob)who did the thing right thing, jumped through the RTA's hoops and had them properly approved as LAMS bikes, only for the useless bloody RTA bureaucracy.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dude with huge balls rides a Honda CT110 from Sydney to London: http://www.thepostman.org.uk/press/

Edit: More updates and pics on the main page: http://www.thepostman.org.uk/

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 27, 2009

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Phat_Albert posted:

Dude with huge balls rides a Honda CT110 from Sydney to London: http://www.thepostman.org.uk/press/

Yea it's pretty :aaaaa:, I've been following him on advrider. When Iran kept stalling on the visa, some long distance riders there suggested taking a more northerly route through China and the 'Stans, so far it's working for him.

edit
Check out the ninja star front sprocket

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Pvt. Public posted:

They're rare in the sense that not many have survived the passage of time to be resold now. Not exactly sure why that is.

Still, you can find them with moderate perseverance and cash. I WILL get one one of these days.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Doctor Zero posted:

They're rare in the sense that not many have survived the passage of time to be resold now. Not exactly sure why that is.

Still, you can find them with moderate perseverance and cash. I WILL get one one of these days.

The early VFRs had problems with cam oiling leading to excessive cam wear. Couple that with Honda not having the best parts support for the bikes and a lot of them have gotten parked over the years.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

Phat_Albert posted:

Didn't ola meet that guy? Or was it just some other guy riding a moped really far?

edit:nvm, he met a guy on a honda 50 somethin or other

Methusulah fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 28, 2009

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

The early VFRs had problems with cam oiling leading to excessive cam wear. Couple that with Honda not having the best parts support for the bikes and a lot of them have gotten parked over the years.

Not so much the 500's though, the 750's definitely.

What we Interceptor owners loved above all was Honda's treatment of the issue. First, they denied it. Then, they blamed it on the techs not adjusting the valves correctly-the claim was that unless the adjustments were exactly the same on both sides of the forked rocker arm it would bind and cause the galling, so Honda released a special forked feeler guage. When that didn't work they blamed it on US spec oil and came up with a special oiling kit. When that didn't work they (quietly, the fuckers) replaced a bunch of cams for owners who were in the know and bitched loudly...a program that was flatly denied by my local Honda dealer and stonewalled until the program ended. So I said "what-ev" and rode my V45 Interceptor, bad cams and all.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnomad posted:

Not so much the 500's though, the 750's definitely.

What we Interceptor owners loved above all was Honda's treatment of the issue. First, they denied it. Then, they blamed it on the techs not adjusting the valves correctly-the claim was that unless the adjustments were exactly the same on both sides of the forked rocker arm it would bind and cause the galling, so Honda released a special forked feeler guage. When that didn't work they blamed it on US spec oil and came up with a special oiling kit. When that didn't work they (quietly, the fuckers) replaced a bunch of cams for owners who were in the know and bitched loudly...a program that was flatly denied by my local Honda dealer and stonewalled until the program ended. So I said "what-ev" and rode my V45 Interceptor, bad cams and all.

Yeah, from what I've read, the V45s really had it bad.

I've always wondered what would happen if you just kept running it until the cams were effectively just round.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

Yeah, from what I've read, the V45s really had it bad.

I've always wondered what would happen if you just kept running it until the cams were effectively just round.

Mine were downright scary. They kept working, missing chunks and all.

The wear wasn't really even, the cam were chipped on the sides and were galled like fishscales in the contact area. I pretty much checked them often and adjusted them as needed and never rode the bike all that far..... :v:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Man, I want a mini super moto. Preferably 3-4 of them. A regular super moto would suffice.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

It looks like they don't grow'em too bright in Texas.
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/28august09_frontbrake.htm

quote:

"Don't use them front brakes, son," is what Beaumont, Texas' Daryl L. James' daddy must have said to him when he was a tot. That sparked a chain of events that ended July 30 with a court filing, with James suing his motorcycle shop for negligence when he was "forced to utilize the front brakes," according to the lawsuit.

Information is scanty. Apparently, James dropped off his 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 to have the rear tire repaired or replaced. He paid for the work and rode out of the parking lot to merge onto I-10 North's frontage road. When he attempted to stop before turning onto the road, he discovered the rear brake didn't work (we're guessing because the mechanic didn't pump the brake pedal after he re-installed the rear wheel), so he was "forced" to use that most dangerous of instrumentalities, the front brake. Really, Daryl? The Vulcan 2K has excellent front brakes: dual four-piston calipers and 300mm discs, but they're hardly roadracer sensitive. Anyway, he must have grabbed that front brake, because the bike allegedly overturned and James went down, suffering "physical pain, suffering, physical impairment, loss of earnings, disfigurement and mental anguish," according to the lawsuit.

James' circumstances highlight the need for basic motorcycle training, which is now mandatory in Texas. The Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Basic RiderCourse teaches two basic skills that might have had James avoid this tragedy. First, doing a basic function check-including brakes-is crucial before each ride. Second, the BRC shows riders how to use both brakes, every time they stop and slow, dispelling any lingering ideas of the front brakes being inherently dangerous. Used properly, they're roughly 70 percent of a motorcycle's stopping power, and are there to prevent-not cause-physical pain, anguish, and all those other expensive damages James is claiming.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

shop clearly hosed up, so that's their curse, the laws going to come down on them.

However, this guy is a loving idiot and I'm not the least bit sad for him or his injuries. Though if he really did manage to loop a vulcan, I'm impressed. It would mean he didnt just grab a bunch of brake locking it up but eased into a full deathgrip brake and managed to stoppie it to painville. Awesome.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Spiffness posted:

Though if he really did manage to loop a vulcan, I'm impressed. It would mean he didnt just grab a bunch of brake locking it up but eased into a full deathgrip brake and managed to stoppie it to painville. Awesome.

He was probably so overcome with fear that right after he touched the infernal lever he just jumped off.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I'm guessing he grabbed a handful of the dreaded death switch front brake without allowing the weight to transfer(self fulfilling prophecy), locked the front up and went down. I don't think they mean looping when they said "overturned".

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Spiffness posted:

shop clearly hosed up, so that's their curse, the laws going to come down on them.

This is the sad part. If they find his rear brake not working, the shop will be found at fault and will have to pay out for what is ultimately his fault for not learning proper technique.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

However, this guy is a loving idiot and I'm not the least bit sad for him or his injuries. Though if he really did manage to loop a vulcan, I'm impressed. It would mean he didnt just grab a bunch of brake locking it up but eased into a full deathgrip brake and managed to stoppie it to painville. Awesome.

My question is though: What proves the shop hosed up? If they weren't pumped up, it's going to be difficult to prove it. If something had happened and say, the pads hadn't bedded completely to the rotor, or they had installed new pads and they hadn't bedded, that's all on him. There's just not enough information there.

Regardless, idiots who don't use the front brake will get theirs, I know, I watched one of them bleeding on the road after going straight into a loving wall. 150 foot skid mark from the locked rear brake...if he'd just barely used the front brake he would have stopped well short of the wall. But gently caress, that's just the way it is.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My dad called me from Indianapolis to tell me he's there to watch Moto GP. I told him he's a sonofabitch and to cheer on Nicky Hayden for me. It's too bad they already raced laguna, so I could do the same to him.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Z3n posted:

Regardless, idiots who don't use the front brake will get theirs, I know, I watched one of them bleeding on the road after going straight into a loving wall. 150 foot skid mark from the locked rear brake...if he'd just barely used the front brake he would have stopped well short of the wall. But gently caress, that's just the way it is.

You're totally right, but if you leave a 150 foot skid mark from your rear brake as your farewell to life, it's questionable that the front brake could have saved you.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Blaster of Justice posted:

You're totally right, but if you leave a 150 foot skid mark from your rear brake as your farewell to life, it's questionable that the front brake could have saved you.

He probably hit the wall at around 20mph. He was actually still breathing, his ankle was broken as gently caress and he probably broke a few ribs, and left a nice patina of sprayed blood across the top of the wall, but he was still alive. It was pretty obvious that if he had just used the front brake he wouldn't have had a problem, the bike was only like 15 feet from the place where he contacted the wall.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Z3n posted:

He probably hit the wall at around 20mph. He was actually still breathing, his ankle was broken as gently caress and he probably broke a few ribs, and left a nice patina of sprayed blood across the top of the wall, but he was still alive. It was pretty obvious that if he had just used the front brake he wouldn't have had a problem, the bike was only like 15 feet from the place where he contacted the wall.

gently caress. I really hate poo poo like this. Brings back memories. 15 years ago I had to single handily flip over a VW Golf my former friend was stuck under because his custom BSA didn't have effective front brakes. He didn't make it. This forum really need a dedicated subforum with the title "how not to die".

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
From here:

Z3n posted:

:swoon:

Do you have pics or a link to a thread? Toss it up in the discussion thread so we can avoid derailing this thread more :)

http://forums.bikeme.tv/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=101

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
Hmm.. this is odd. My local used bike distributor has this bike just received. It's a 2008 MV Agusta F4-R 312 with 3800 miles, and it's... $13,995? KBB says the retail on this bike should be in excess of $19,000. Oh, and just for kicks I ran my insurance on it.. if I bought this 180hp, 195mph bike, my insurance is actually still $100 cheaper than a 2008 Ducati 848. Oh well, maybe I'll go sit on it (on the more realistic side, they do have a GSX-R 750 that I'm considering, which I could sit on as well).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Buy it.