Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

Id4ever posted:

Fixed now.

Excellent work. The font looks pretty drat good. It's a bit misaligned in places, but that's my own drat fault. I may write out another one more carefully and try again soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Brilliant service, we'll probably end up using it for a game i'm working on if it makes scalable fonts easy.

Id4ever
Dec 2, 2004

brian posted:

Brilliant service, we'll probably end up using it for a game i'm working on if it makes scalable fonts easy.

It generates TrueType fonts, which are vector based and should be usable at (almost) any size.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Id4ever posted:

www.fontcapture.com

Definitively going to try this out as soon as I install my printer/scanner. Great idea.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

https://www.fontcapture.com rocks, and I pity whoever graded my AP Comp Sci test.

font: http://www.2shared.com/file/7398277/72deee93/myfont.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 27, 2009

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

(Scheme and Erlang in MofontQc Bold!)
It looks good enough that I might use it for parts of my book.

Only thing missing is the underscore.

FigBug
Apr 27, 2002

Lemon Party - Lest we Forget

Id4ever posted:

www.fontcapture.com

That's pretty cool. You should put up some sample font to download. And people posting in this thread should post links to the fonts they created.

Id4ever
Dec 2, 2004

MononcQc posted:

Only thing missing is the underscore.

I'll add underscore to the template either today or tomorrow. It'll be in the next available box, to the right of the '±' character. If you still have your completed template, just write the underscore in that box and re-scan and upload it.

FigBug posted:

That's pretty cool. You should put up some sample font to download. And people posting in this thread should post links to the fonts they created.

Yes, I'm planning to add a 'gallery' section where you can preview and download fonts created by other users (with their permission of course).

In the meantime, here are some interesting / pretty / weird fonts that people have created so far:

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!
This is pretty excellent.

A minor issue: the fonts don't play nice with the "smart quotes" feature in Word since they don't include the upside down " and ' characters.

Edit: on the same note, en and em dashes would be nice too, even if they are just duplicates of minus. :)

Nippashish fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 27, 2009

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

It's nowhere near as useful as that font maker, but I'm implementing maze algorithms that have already been done a million times.

Hue represents distance from the start (top-left corner).

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
The hues are cool. :)

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow
Are you planning on sharing the code when you are done Scaevolus? I'd really love to see how you implemented that.

Screeb
Dec 28, 2004

What's the hue if there are multiple routes to the same location? Or does it only work for mazes with one path to each location?

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

Screeb posted:

What's the hue if there are multiple routes to the same location? Or does it only work for mazes with one path to each location?

I'm guessing it uses the lowest distance to the location, unless he's using something other than A*.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I think that errors sometimes look more interesting than the expected results.

Click here for the full 1296x758 image.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Screeb posted:

Right now it generates perfect mazes (only one path between any two locations), but it would display the hue for the shortest distance if there were loops.

Jo posted:

I'm guessing it uses the lowest distance to the location, unless he's using something other than A*.

I'm using Dijkstra's algorithm because it lets you find the shortest path between a vertex and every other vertex on the graph, while A* just uses heuristics to find a path between two vertices on a graph.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

Scaevolus posted:

I'm using Dijkstra's algorithm because it lets you find the shortest path between a vertex and every other vertex on the graph, while A* just uses heuristics to find a path between two vertices on a graph.

:what:
A* is shortest path, too. It's also faster than Dijkstra, if I remember right.

Jo fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 30, 2009

MonDubious
Jan 8, 2007
I eschew obfuscation

Jo posted:

A* is shortest-path only if the estimation is good enough.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Id4ever posted:

www.fontcapture.com

Hey you're on lifehacker now. Congratulations!

AgentF
May 11, 2009

MonDubious posted:

A* is shortest-path only if the estimation is good enough.

The way I remember it:

If the heuristic you use is admissable (no estimation is greater than the actual cost), then A* is guaranteed to eventually find the shortest path.

If the heuristic is monotonic (the decrease in the estimated cost from node X to node Y is smaller than the distance between X and Y) then A* will never visit the same node twice before finding the shortest path.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

akadajet posted:

I think that errors sometimes look more interesting than the expected results.

Click here for the full 1296x758 image.

"Wachovia Logo Generator"

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

Jo posted:

I think you missed the point; Dijkstra's finds the least costs from one node to every other node. A* finds the least cost from one node to one of a set of goal nodes.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Ugg boots posted:

A* finds the least cost from one node to one of a set of goal nodes.

And even then, that's not guaranteed unless your heuristic is admissable (as AgentF said), which it rarely is.

I'll draw an example if people still don't get that.

wlievens
Nov 26, 2006

Scaevolus posted:

And even then, that's not guaranteed unless your heuristic is admissable (as AgentF said), which it rarely is.

I'll draw an example if people still don't get that.

I always thought that the most frequently used A* heuristic would be euclidian distance, either in a grid or in a graph. And that is admissable. I'd love to see realistic examples of the contrary!

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Heuristics tend to only be as good as their extremely constrained "guessing function" in practice, and while it's quite acceptable if you don't always get the best route, Dijkstra is what people tend to use in practice. For example, see almost all the routing protocols in existence - they're based around gathering information from neighbors (local optimizations) to compose them up to globally optimal values. A* is not really great for that, but it's pretty sweet if you need a route and you need it fast. If you are privy to information that will yield an admissable heuristic that beats other straightforward algorithms, then you have yourself (amortized) a better algorithm.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

wlievens posted:

I always thought that the most frequently used A* heuristic would be euclidian distance, either in a grid or in a graph. And that is admissable. I'd love to see realistic examples of the contrary!
Ah, crap. I went to go find the simple case where A* is non optimal, and then realized that I had been arguing while thinking of the wrong algorithm-- I had somehow simplified A* to DFS in my mind.

This is the case I was thinking of (applet here):

So yes, A* would work fine for finding the shortest solution for the maze, but I wanted the distance for every node, making Dijkstra's Algorithm more efficient.

blueberrypudding
Sep 3, 2009
Fontcapture is fantastic, I'm going to love writing with my own handwriting!

This game is nearing completion, you can probably guess the premise:

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

blueberrypudding posted:

Fontcapture is fantastic, I'm going to love writing with my own handwriting!

This game is nearing completion, you can probably guess the premise:

You're going to have to change the name.

The company that owns the rights to Tetris has constantly sued people who use the "tris" suffix. There was a big deal about this several years ago with "Netris", and has been going on for decades. The company has proven in court that use of the "tris" suffix is enough to infringe on their rights, and is essentially "bandwagoning" for any "falling block game".

They sued an iPhone developer once before: http://www.savvywallet.com/2008/08/27/iphone-application-tris-gets-the-boot/

blueberrypudding
Sep 3, 2009

Inverse Icarus posted:

You're going to have to change the name
Thanks for the warning, I didn't realise this would be an issue! Do you think I could get away with something similar like Textro? Perhaps I'll just have to concede and go for something generic like Word Brick or Letter Fall...

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
As far as I know, it was specifically the "tris" suffix. Textro should be fine.

But I am not a lawyer, so do whatever you think would be best to avoid being sued.

darqness
Jul 20, 2006
Canvas based pixel art wiki maze I have been working on. Still has a lot of rough edges but it works.

http://maze.heroku.com

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
After the first maze page, if you hold down the move key whilst the page is loading you can miss whole pages out. Looks pretty cool though :)

blueberrypudding
Sep 3, 2009
I had some fun with this, but I found the edit feature to be really laggy.

darqness
Jul 20, 2006

blueberrypudding posted:

I had some fun with this, but I found the edit feature to be really laggy.
Thanks for the feedback,
The editor is laggy because its loading up like 100 color pickers. I am sure I can be smarter about it I just wanted to get it out the door. So far here is what I've learned people like drawing way better then adding walls. . Most people that draw do relatively simple designs probably because the editor sucks but whoever drew the Mario is awesome. The walls that do get added are mostly closing off exits to the screen or spelling things. I may just randomly generate the maze walls when the first person enters an area.

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow
openGL is hard :qq:

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

tripwire posted:

openGL is hard :qq:

Glad to see you got it working-- what was the bug?

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

Scaevolus posted:

Glad to see you got it working-- what was the bug?

Well, I still haven't found the bug, and I'm not so sure it's working. That picture is from many thousands of generations into the simulation where it should be converging to look like the source picture but the fitness seems to stay the same at roughly 50% similar to the source, forever. This is what you'd expect to happen if there was zero evolutionary pressure, or if there was no way at all for the drawings to pass on fit genes to future drawings (or put another way, it seems like either the drawing or some aspect of the evaluation of the drawing is failing completely).

All it spits out is random canvas after random canvas with no improvements. :(

I know the genetic algorithm itself works because when I switch the rendering engine back to cairo it works like normal again.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

tripwire posted:

I know the genetic algorithm itself works because when I switch the rendering engine back to cairo it works like normal again.
Try comparing the fitnesses reported by the different renderers? (why aren't you on IRC >:[)

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

I'm a naughty boy.

http://maze.heroku.com/maze?x=15&y=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avidal
May 19, 2006
bawl-some
RMS is hacking the maze!
http://maze.heroku.com/maze?x=30&y=200