Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
Not every game has a problem with the sleep function. Most games access the hard drive enough to keep it awake. Also, like I said, the newer CIOS versions may have a "keep alive" function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Social Dissonance posted:

Not sure if this is missing any cioses you need, but there is a manual updater here: http://www.teknoconsolas.es/blog/waninkoko/firmware-updater-41

Thank you. I was however just told by someone that updating to 4.1 from the WSR disc would still let me go on using homebrew channel and backups. If this is the case, why wouldn't I want to upgrade? (And what's up with the title of this thread?)

Edit: Thank you! Guess I'll give that a try then!
VVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Valle fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 1, 2009

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Valle posted:

Thank you. I was however just told by someone that updating to 4.1 from the WSR disc would still let me go on using homebrew channel and backups. If this is the case, why wouldn't I want to upgrade? (And what's up with the title of this thread?)
I was paranoid so I used Waninkoko safe 4.1 Updater and WSR works great and nothing broke.

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride
I got the Freeagent Go at Sizzlechest's recommendation, and I couldn't be more happy. Newegg had it on sale with a dock, so not only does it look nice and pretty next to the Wii, but you can easily disable sleep and hard drive light in the Seagate options. Perfect!

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Social Dissonance posted:

I got the Freeagent Go at Sizzlechest's recommendation, and I couldn't be more happy. Newegg had it on sale with a dock, so not only does it look nice and pretty next to the Wii, but you can easily disable sleep and hard drive light in the Seagate options. Perfect!

Just to echo what others have said, using a 500gb WD Mybook sucks. It was a huge hassle to get working, and it just huge and not fun.

Great for computer backups though! ;-*

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Just to echo what others have said, using a 500gb WD Mybook sucks. It was a huge hassle to get working, and it just huge and not fun.

Great for computer backups though! ;-*

I don't know what the hell you're talking about as it was a breeze to get working on my end. True it chunky, but mine doesn't have to move to reach the computer and Wii.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Liku posted:

I don't know what the hell you're talking about as it was a breeze to get working on my end. True it chunky, but mine doesn't have to move to reach the computer and Wii.

Really? Mine's always had an issue where it wouldn't "wake up" when I plugged it into the Wii's USB ports. It was all formatted correctly, had stuff on it, etc.

I ended up just using a 16gb USB key instead

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Really? Mine's always had an issue where it wouldn't "wake up" when I plugged it into the Wii's USB ports. It was all formatted correctly, had stuff on it, etc.

I ended up just using a 16gb USB key instead

Mine has always worked once I plugged it in, maybe your case is faulty?

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
Formatting a USB drive on your PC with WBFS Manager 3.0.1 results in less problems than relying on a USB Loader to do it.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Phenotype posted:

What's wrong with the Passport? I'm using one for Wiibrew right now, and it runs perfectly.

I also have no problems with my Passport. I've never had any problems with it going to sleep although I've never tried to make it do so.

stretchy membrane
May 22, 2007

_________
:tipshat:
Why are all these homebrew programs and loaders not fitting on my screen? My wii is set to 480 p and widescreen but for some reason I can't see the top of anything and the wii's settings only allow you to change the horizontal placement.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

kramhag posted:

Why are all these homebrew programs and loaders not fitting on my screen? My wii is set to 480 p and widescreen but for some reason I can't see the top of anything and the wii's settings only allow you to change the horizontal placement.

Is it a CRT? I have a 480i CRT and it used to do the same thing on my PS2. Pretty much all CRTs do that overscan thing, but I've never heard of it with an LCD/plasma/etc.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safe_area

Basically, CRT TVs aren't pixel perfect and sometimes overscan.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Cojawfee posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safe_area

Basically, CRT TVs aren't pixel perfect and sometimes overscan.

Yeah, it was funny going from my CRT to my projector and realizing how much of the screen I wasn't seeing.

e. A really good example of this is using TV-out with a PC to a CRT with overscan.

Niklas Kronwall 2.0
May 15, 2009
I just finished setting up the HBC and Mplayer CE on my wii.

Is there any negative to doing a system menu update to 4.1?

stretchy membrane
May 22, 2007

_________
You're right it is a CRT but I naively thought it being HD would negate that. Is there anything I can do about it?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kramhag posted:

You're right it is a CRT but I naively thought it being HD would negate that. Is there anything I can do about it?

What model TV is it?

stretchy membrane
May 22, 2007

_________

fishmech posted:

What model TV is it?

it's a big old sony trinitron

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Unless the TV itself has controls for modifying the shape and size of the image, you are screwed.

The Store
May 2, 2009

FlyingCheese posted:

What drive/format?

NTFS.

I did all of this stuff to fool with the IOSes in order for it to read at USB 2.0 speeds, and now the drive is recognized on Mplayerce, but, when I choose an .mkv, it freezes on "analyzing stream".

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

wheeliedude posted:

NTFS.

I did all of this stuff to fool with the IOSes in order for it to read at USB 2.0 speeds, and now the drive is recognized on Mplayerce, but, when I choose an .mkv, it freezes on "analyzing stream".

NTFS support is brand spankin' new and is probably buggy as hell. Try fat32 and see if it helps.

Wampa Stompa
Aug 15, 2008

I literally have no idea what I just saw in there!
Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry for asking this, as I'm sure it's been answered multiple times already, but what steps do I have to take to be able to use the MotionPlus? I twilight hacked my system about six months ago and haven't really kept up to date. If someone could direct me to an update that will allow me to use the M+ without interfering with all my homebrewed content, I would be mighty grateful.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You have to have menu 4.1 to use motion plus. I don't know much more than that. I think someone said there was something you could do to enable M+ without updating, or some sort of manual update.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

You have to have menu 4.1 to use motion plus. I don't know much more than that. I think someone said there was something you could do to enable M+ without updating, or some sort of manual update.

Technically, you don't even need to have menu 4.1. The 4.1 fixes a problem with the instructional video being replayed. There's no additional functionality in 4.1.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Sizzlechest posted:

There's no additional functionality in 4.1.

Is there any in between 3.2 and 4.1?

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Valle posted:

Is there any in between 3.2 and 4.1?

Yes. You can load WiiWare and VC titles from your SD card with 4.x. Also, there some additional IOS files that get installed that some WiiWare and VC games may need. The only downside is the pink fish disc won't work with 4.x. That's about it.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Sizzlechest posted:

Yes. You can load WiiWare and VC titles from your SD card with 4.x. Also, there some additional IOS files that get installed that some WiiWare and VC games may need. The only downside is the pink fish disc won't work with 4.x. That's about it.

You really don't need the pink fish disc anyway as almost all of the functionality can be done via homebrew.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
This thread has inspired my to softmod my wii so I don't have to keep dragging out the disc to switch between games. I went through all the steps and can now play games off the attached USB hard drive, hooray! I have 2 questions though.

1) Bootwii installer to boot2. When I turn on my Wii, the screen is just black for 5 seconds or so, then the disc slot flashes a couple times and it boots to preloader. Is there something I need to do to make bootwii show up so I can back up my flash (I realize it is a little late now but I'd like to still have a backup)

2) My Transcend 8GB SD card can't be read by preloader (says there is no SD card inserted). Can someone recommend a specific brand/model/capacity that is known to work so I can pick one up, knowing it will be able to be read?

honeymustard
Dec 19, 2008

Shut up cunt.

Keito posted:

Spill the beans about that awesome USB loader I've read about everywhere!!
It's possible to play your games off of USB hard drives now, and the best loader application available is called USB Loader GX. Getting it working is pretty easy, if you've got a compatible hard drive. Just follows these simple steps:
  1. Format a partition on your hard drive to the wbfs file system (used by these loaders) with WBFS Manager for Windows users or linux-wbfs-manager for GNU/Linux users. It can be done in USB Loader GX too, but you might as well do it on the computer.
  2. Download Waninkoko's cIOS38 rev14 (mirror) and run the dol file (ie. rename cIOS38_rev14-Installer.dol to boot.dol and put it in a "cios38" folder under "apps" so it'll show up in Homebrew Channel). Launch the application and install the cIOS with it.
  3. Download USB Loader GX Rev709 here and put it under the "apps" folder. Launch USB Loader GX, go to Settings and select Update to get the very latest revision. Or you could go fetch just the .dol executable from USB Loader GX's Revisions page instead of the zip archive.
  4. Install your games in the loader and enjoy less loading and no disc swapping. I don't know if it's still required, but you might as well just leave Wii Sports inside the console, so the Wii will think it's really playing off a disc.

I'm following this guide at the moment, I installed IOS38-64-v3610.wad using cIOS38_rev14-Installer.dol, and now am trying to run the USB Loader app from the Homebrew Channel. However, all I get is a black screen. What have I done wrong? :(

I have a feeling I used the wrong wad, but that's what was in the readme in the installer.

edit: looking at this tutorial, it says I should use IOS36-64-v1042.wad. Hmm...

honeymustard fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 5, 2009

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I've got homebrew sorted with the bannerbomb or whatever it's called thing. Work's brilliantly.

Is there a guide somewhere to sorting out the usbloader hard driver loader thingy which isn't just "Down grade iso xxx-xxx using programme yyy-yyy", "Reinstall XXX", etc.

I mean it would be nice to have a guide which explained what I was actually doing and why, instead of just the steps I'm taking. I think I'd feel more comfortable that way.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
2 quick questions

when i turn off my wii with the remote while im running an emulator i get a thing so im not able to turn my wii back on unless i unplug the power cord and put it back in. should ni be worried about that at all or should i just back out to the main homebrew channel menu to avoid it?

also is there anyway to get a looping file to get some music for the homebrew channel menu?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

It's been over a week and there hasn't been any news out of the WiiRecipe developer, I am afraid he's lost interest.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

CapnBry posted:

This thread has inspired my to softmod my wii so I don't have to keep dragging out 1) Bootwii installer to boot2. When I turn on my Wii, the screen is just black for 5 seconds or so, then the disc slot flashes a couple times and it boots to preloader. Is there something I need to do to make bootwii show up so I can back up my flash (I realize it is a little late now but I'd like to still have a backup)

You need to hold down reset button while you power on the Wii or use a Gamecube controller to access the BootMii menu.

You can adjust the timeout by adding an ini file to the root of your SD card. Use this program to do it for you:
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/BootMii_Configuration_Editor

CapnBry posted:

2) My Transcend 8GB SD card can't be read by preloader (says there is no SD card inserted). Can someone recommend a specific brand/model/capacity that is known to work so I can pick one up, knowing it will be able to be read?

You can save yourself a lot of headaches with Wii homebrew in general by using a non SDHC SD card. Get a 2GB Kingston SD card and it should work with everything. If you're looking to store WADs, make a FAT32 partition on your hard drive (assuming you have one.)

Sizzlechest fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 5, 2009

The Store
May 2, 2009

I tried putting a few .mkvs on a FAT32 thumbdrive, and here are the results:

MplayerCE:sound is perfect, static picture unless I search around, then the picture changes
GeeXbox: subtitles show but is extremely choppy

This is after all the USB 2.0 IOS bullshit.

EDIT:
tried MplayerCE again, the picture is actually quite choppy. A step up from GeeXbox, but not by much; subtitles are not being displayed.

ANOTHER EDIT:
disabled frameskipping, picture and sound is now perfect. still no subtitles
ACTUALLY:
the video seems to be playing slower than the audio, which is perfect.

The Store fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 5, 2009

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

Six pokeballs, more than enough to catch anything that moves.
So I've been thinking about moving onto USB loader, as im tired of having to bring discs and cases over to friends house when we decide to get together to play. I do however, have one question, which is a stupid one, and may be close to "files" territory. That said, I will be brief about it.

Can you use the loader with gamecube games? A friend of mine mentioned "Wii-Ready" GCN games, and upon doing some searching of my own I did see that they exist. Are these just games that were ripped specifically for the Wii, or is there some more voodoo magic I am not seeing.

That being said, my next question is just a simple one: What is the most cost affordable drive that works with the Wii? I prefer shopping at amazon if it helps, as I am a Prime member. If my first question is too close to "files" territory I will edit it out ASAP. Thanks much Wii Homebrew topic.

FAKE EDIT: I only ask about the hard drive because I heard some drives work and others don't. After some googling I couldn't seem to find any more info on it, atleast not what I wanted.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Every hard drive will work, what depends is the enclosure. You should really get a hard drive and enclosure separately. It will save you a lot of trouble down the line.

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

Six pokeballs, more than enough to catch anything that moves.

Cojawfee posted:

Every hard drive will work, what depends is the enclosure. You should really get a hard drive and enclosure separately. It will save you a lot of trouble down the line.

I see I have left some confusion, let me clarify. The type of HDD im looking for is one of those USB ones that are just plug and play, preferably powered by the USB port but external power isn't a negative as long as the wall plug isn't massive.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Primworm posted:

Can you use the loader with gamecube games? A friend of mine mentioned "Wii-Ready" GCN games, and upon doing some searching of my own I did see that they exist. Are these just games that were ripped specifically for the Wii, or is there some more voodoo magic I am not seeing.

No, gamecube games don't work with USB Loaders. You may be seeing GC remakes for the Wii.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Play_Control!

Primworm posted:

That being said, my next question is just a simple one: What is the most cost affordable drive that works with the Wii? I prefer shopping at amazon if it helps, as I am a Prime member.

I recommend the Seagate FreeAgent Go. It doesn't need an external power supply, has a 5 year warranty, and never goes to sleep (assuming you remember to turn sleep mode off).

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

Anyone else have trouble with the lander homebrew game? When I launch it it just goes to a black screen like the wii has crashed or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honeymustard
Dec 19, 2008

Shut up cunt.

honeymustard posted:

I'm following this guide at the moment, I installed IOS38-64-v3610.wad using cIOS38_rev14-Installer.dol, and now am trying to run the USB Loader app from the Homebrew Channel. However, all I get is a black screen. What have I done wrong? :(

I have a feeling I used the wrong wad, but that's what was in the readme in the installer.

edit: looking at this tutorial, it says I should use IOS36-64-v1042.wad. Hmm...

I also just tried installing the wad using the network option, but that gave me an error (I believe the one tied to the trucha bug, which I restored a while ago). Any help?

edit: I installed IOS36 instead, through the network option, and now it's working. Huh.

Now I've got it working, how do I go about getting a channel icon on the main menu for it?

honeymustard fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 5, 2009

• Locked thread