Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Dear ippo:

Please make this fight super cool and not the poor lovely messes that the last couple big fights have been. Please do something so awesome that I can tell my friends "yeah, it gets a little cheap for a while but then it picks right back up!"

Please please make ippo a manga that I can once again tell people is super loving awesome, instead of 'yeah it kind of slows down after a while. I read it out of some misplaced optimism now'

Sincerely,
me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

DamnGlitch posted:

Dear ippo:

Please make this fight super cool and not the poor lovely messes that the last couple big fights have been. Please do something so awesome that I can tell my friends "yeah, it gets a little cheap for a while but then it picks right back up!"

Please please make ippo a manga that I can once again tell people is super loving awesome, instead of 'yeah it kind of slows down after a while. I read it out of some misplaced optimism now'

Sincerely,
me
I think the author actually feels the same way. Using an entire chapter just to say, "this one will be like the old good fights!...please read it"

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think the quality of this fight is going to hinge on how outlandish Mowoligli fights. If he's just really fast and really agile and crazy smart or whatever, then that's one thing (he hasn't fought a GOOD high speed guy since Saeki, if you could even call that good), but if he starts flipping around the ring like Spider-Man it'll be rather :rolleyes:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think it's rather insulting that the author is trying to seriously insinuate that this fight is as big as Ippo's title bout with Sendo.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

I think it's rather insulting that the author is trying to seriously insinuate that this fight is as big as Ippo's title bout with Sendo.

Yeah. And he's going in AS THE CHALLENGER THIS TIME again.

That doesn't mean any-loving-thing anymore.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
I think the panel at the bottom really sums up Ippo's state of affairs for me right now
http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/863/05/

Kave
Dec 29, 2008

Fancy sweater vests for all!
Chapter 865

And the fight begins, my prediction...Ippo will dominate to start then woli will pull out his special move to even things up for the rest of the fight, Ippo will then pull out the win based on experience and japanese spirit

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kave posted:

Chapter 865

And the fight begins, my prediction...Ippo will dominate to start then woli will pull out his special move to even things up for the rest of the fight, Ippo will then pull out the win based on experience and japanese spirit

In other words, Mowgli will be yet another opponent who could easily score a win via points but will instead decide to try to knock out the freakish unstoppable juggernaut. Also, Miyata again? drat, Ippo really needs to get laid.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Serious Frolicking posted:

Also, Miyata again? drat, Ippo really needs to come out of the closet

Fixed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Fixed.

I didn't specify what gender he should pursue. His obsession with Miyata is unhealthy and rather creepy. Frankly, any sort of real relationship would be an improvement at this point.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

In other words, Mowgli will be yet another opponent who could easily score a win via points but will instead decide to try to knock out the freakish unstoppable juggernaut. Also, Miyata again? drat, Ippo really needs to get laid.

To be fair, as far as "quick and speedy" boxers go, there's no one better to use as a model than Miyata. At least, as far as we've been told. I kinda wish we could see another Martinez character that Miyata/Itagaki could aspire to beat, since I think we are all well aware that both would like to go a few rounds with Ippo. I dunno, I really would like to see the world stage opened up more, without the "INTRODUCING THE DUDE YOU'RE GOING TO BEAT IN FOUR CHAPTERS" treatment.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

I didn't specify what gender he should pursue. His obsession with Miyata is unhealthy and rather creepy. Frankly, any sort of real relationship would be an improvement at this point.

Countdown to revelation of stalker-creepy shrine of Miyata in Ippo's closet starts now.

Lil Jon Galt
May 22, 2002

IS A MAN NOT ENTITLED TO THE SWEAT DROP DOWN MY BALLS?
oh hey cool, one god damned punch

I really do have high expectations for this fight but I cannot really figure out why

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

it was ok until she started peeing on me

Cap N' Crunch posted:

oh hey cool, one god damned punch

I really do have high expectations for this fight but I cannot really figure out why

Only 500 chapters then to finish an entire fight.

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I wish this would go on forever
Chapter 866

Some great frames in this one Ippo better wipe that smug smile off Woli's face soon

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Wow this fight is starting out really well. High hopes here!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

They can probably kill each other by just stabbing with their ridiculously sharp elbows.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tazman posted:

Wow this fight is starting out really well. High hopes here!

I suppose, though it also seems pretty predictable to me. IIRC the past few fights have also consisted of Ippo doing well and showing he's "champion material," followed by his opponent releasing his gimmick in full force.

What I'm hoping is that Ippo will also destroy his gimmick, though I'm not counting on it given Vorg's reaction.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

X gon giv it to ya (Finally)

About loving time we got back to actual Ippo fighting. Good way to start out with showing off his 'experience'. Can only ramp up from here.

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog
Should have loving clocked him when he was checking his stance, where's your experience, Ippo?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I like that for once Ippo isn't getting beaten to a pulp right from the start. It will still happen when the gimmick is used, but that was still the best fight in a long while. But then, the last two fights were concentration camp victim Miyata fighting in the dumbest way he could think of and then Takemura somehow being even worse. So there is nowhere to go but up!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The only thing that comes to mind about this battle is that Mogli (or whatever) shouldn't be able to take a punch very well, since he has very little experience actually fighting and taking hits, particularly from someone with a punch like Ippo. It's going to be really unbelievable and strange of he manages to keep fighting through force of will after taking a big one from Ippo.

Nubian Robodin
Jan 20, 2005
Your best friend objectifies children and you lied for him about it.

fuck you, you disgusting idiot.

Ytlaya posted:

The only thing that comes to mind about this battle is that Mogli (or whatever) shouldn't be able to take a punch very well, since he has very little experience actually fighting and taking hits, particularly from someone with a punch like Ippo. It's going to be really unbelievable and strange of he manages to keep fighting through force of will after taking a big one from Ippo.

But they'll get around that by Ippo not being able to hit him or some dumb poo poo. I really hope I'm wrong though.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.
I'm guessing that Mogli is something like Martinez's and Hawks bastard love child, so he's either going to dodge hits and we're going to see a awesome gently caress you dempsey roll moment, or he's going to minimize that tank shot to a nerf hit through moving his body to just barely dodge hits.

Kave
Dec 29, 2008

Fancy sweater vests for all!
My guess: He has some move where he bounces off the ropes. He seemed to be focusing on them before the match. It's probably something like using the momentum of the ropes to launch an even stronger punch that cannot be blocked

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

867 is out but not on Onemanga or MangaFox yet. I think everyone will be pleased 1cm makes it's return. Apparently specials and color pages next week to celebrate the 20th anniversary.

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007

Guyver posted:

867 is out but not on Onemanga or MangaFox yet. I think everyone will be pleased 1cm makes it's return. Apparently specials and color pages next week to celebrate the 20th anniversary.

I'm kind of starting to appreciate the power creep. First Itagaki gets bullet time, then Miyata literally, LITERALLY punches faster than the speed of sound. Now Ippo can knock guys down by grazing them with his pinky finger.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

It's one of the first things Ippo ever did.

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007

Guyver posted:

It's one of the first things Ippo ever did.

Yeah, but they made a go of justifying it back then. Now it's just "Nope, he's that strong."

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

That was the explanation more over it shows his growth as a boxer to recognize the hit for what it was. Don't worry they'll probably have a flashback or Takamura exposition next chapter explaining.

Also I love the little congratulatory thump to the chest Ippo gives himself as he walks away.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Haha, at least Woli has Miyata's chin too.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I could see Ippo winning this easily but having Woli come back later for a revenge match

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

bhsman posted:

I could see Ippo winning this easily but having Woli come back later for a revenge match

I would be happy with this outcome. I like that Ippo has been shown as totally on top of poo poo during this fight so far, though we haven't been shown Woli's inevitable comeback. I hope that it doesn't give Ippo too much trouble though, or else all this "check out how mature and experienced Ippo is" from the last chapter would seem out of place.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I just want Ippo to wipe that smug loving smirk off of Woli's face.

Perferably by physically removing his lips from his body.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Coughing Hobo posted:

I just want Ippo to wipe that smug loving smirk off of Woli's face.

Perferably by physically removing his lips from his body.

I don't think it's smugness so much as Woli is just having fun boxing.

But yes, I do agree that he needs to get knocked around a bit.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Just read the translated 868; I hope you're all ready for the second coming of Bryan Hawk. Expect a similar fight, just without the raw badassery of the finale.

I kinda described it in a negative way, but I'm still interested in seeing where this goes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ippo's expression on the last page was pretty sweet. This is by far the worst of the gimmick boxers, but for once Ippo isn't going to take that poo poo.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
The last page and his expression made up for that chapter.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Even if he can dodge Ippo, I can't imagine him being able to punch him hard enough to knock him out unless he propels himself from the ring cables oh god please don't let this happen it will be so dumb if it does :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
this is me reading the recent chapters ----->