Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no
Has anyone else had problems with dual-layer games not loading under CIOS38 r14?

I picked up Metroid Prime Trilogy, and was playing it off the disc with CIOS36 r10 last night, with it working fine. I decided to update to 4.1 (using Waninkoko's updater) which completed successfully (the System menu shows 4.1). I also installed CIOS38 r14, again using Waninkoko's installer. After installing, dual-layer discs don't even attempt to spin up. I tested both Fire Emblem and Paper Mario, which were both recognized properly by the main disc channel; however, neither Smash Bros. nor Metroid Prime Trilogy are recognized, and the system doesn't even attempt to spin the disc.

Following this, I re-ran the CIOS36 r10 installer, but the problem still persists. Looking around on the internet indicates that a few other people have had issues reading dual-layer discs after installing CIOS38 r14, but there was nothing concrete as far as resolving it. Any Title Deleter shows IOS36, IOS38 and IOS249, but I'm obviously not going to remove IOSs at random without some guidance first.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

You can't run dual layers with the backup launcher unless your Wii has been hardmodded, use USbloader

e:and smash/trilogy are dual layer games

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

saahil92 posted:

You can't run dual layers with the backup launcher unless your Wii has been hardmodded, use USbloader

e:and smash/trilogy are dual layer games

It's not a backup; it's a retail disc, that I'm trying to run from the plain, vanilla disc channel that comes with the Wii.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I have 4.0U, and I've got all the homebrew stuff on here. Can I turn on WiiConnect so I can view the weather and news and stuff or no? :<

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Gvaz posted:

I have 4.0U, and I've got all the homebrew stuff on here. Can I turn on WiiConnect so I can view the weather and news and stuff or no? :<

I've never turned off WiiConnect and I've never had a problem with homebrew on 3.4 or 4.0 . You should be perfectly fine.

honeymustard
Dec 19, 2008

Shut up cunt.

OpaqueEcho posted:

Has anyone else had problems with dual-layer games not loading under CIOS38 r14?

I picked up Metroid Prime Trilogy, and was playing it off the disc with CIOS36 r10 last night, with it working fine. I decided to update to 4.1 (using Waninkoko's updater) which completed successfully (the System menu shows 4.1). I also installed CIOS38 r14, again using Waninkoko's installer. After installing, dual-layer discs don't even attempt to spin up. I tested both Fire Emblem and Paper Mario, which were both recognized properly by the main disc channel; however, neither Smash Bros. nor Metroid Prime Trilogy are recognized, and the system doesn't even attempt to spin the disc.

Following this, I re-ran the CIOS36 r10 installer, but the problem still persists. Looking around on the internet indicates that a few other people have had issues reading dual-layer discs after installing CIOS38 r14, but there was nothing concrete as far as resolving it. Any Title Deleter shows IOS36, IOS38 and IOS249, but I'm obviously not going to remove IOSs at random without some guidance first.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not entirely sure how my CIOS are set up, but I think I'm in the same situation as you, and Brawl works for me. The only disc I'm having problems with is Wii Sports. When I put it in, the drive makes some horrible chugging noises and then an error message comes up telling me to eject the disc and turn off the console.

JamesB
Feb 22, 2007

Gvaz posted:

In a "Will Nintendo see my homebrew and brick me if I turn WiiConnect on?" sense, you should be perfectly alright. No danger that I know of.

There have been some reports of the WiiConnect standby mode overheating and damaging the GPU, however, so I usually just keep it off myself.

JamesB fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 5, 2009

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've been running Wii Connect for a long time now with no homebrew or overheating problems. I don't think Nintendo is that paranoid.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

I'm having trouble with Metroid prime trilogy, i've tried playing it through USBloader 1.5 and through a DVD via neogamma and in both cases I get a crash at loading metroid prime 1, the screen turns green for a second then I get booted back to the system menu. I think it could cios related, has anyone else had this problem?

Evil Fiend
Apr 30, 2003

frameset posted:

I'm having trouble with Metroid prime trilogy, i've tried playing it through USBloader 1.5 and through a DVD via neogamma and in both cases I get a crash at loading metroid prime 1, the screen turns green for a second then I get booted back to the system menu. I think it could cios related, has anyone else had this problem?

I've read that using it in USB loader requires using a different alternate DOL for each game in the collection.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Ugh that's too much effort, i'll just play the original disc.

Lobster Maneuver
Jan 4, 2005

All heart and all thumbs

frameset posted:

Here's some instructions I c/ped from somewhere else.

quote:

This game has the IOS Reload issue, meaning that when you load the game from your HDD you'll be able to navigate the menus just fine, but as soon as you try to play one of the games you'll encounter a green screen and then your console will reset since the loader is unable to re-initiate the USB ports.

The easiest way to get around this is to run the game from a recent USB Loader. People have had the most luck with Configurable USB Loader and USB Loader GX, both of which you can get here:
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php?title=USB_Loader_Releases. The following instructions are for GX, but the steps are more or less the same for other loaders.

The first time you play, launch the game normally and go through the menu until you get past a screen informing you that a save file was just created. Now reboot the Wii and go back into the loader. Select the game within the loader and click on Settings. Click on Game Load and scroll down until you find the Alternate Dol setting. Enable "DOL from disc," then select the next option down and a list of four dol files will appear. The first one launches the game menu like normal while the other ones work like this:

rs5mp1_p.dol launches Metroid Prime 1
rs5mp2_p.dol launches Metroid Prime 2
rs5mp3_p.dol launches Metroid Prime 3

Select the desired dol file and save, then launch the game. You'll bypass the main menu and start the selected game. Whenever you want to switch which game you want to play, go back into the options and choose one of the other dols.

Don't be intimidated, it takes like 2 minutes to set up.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Lobster Maneuver posted:

Huh, does the same thing work for Sam and Max?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Since the largest SD card I am willing to dedicate to the Wii is only 2g, I was hoping there might be a way to run .avi movies from my Passport via USB Loader? I know it's a long shot, but my entire movie collection was converted to digital before moving years back, and I'd rather not have to burn them to watch them in my Wii (being my only dvd player.) The whole point was to reduce clutter in the first place. Is this something that's currently in the works?

vvv No poo poo? I guess I should have payed attention. In that case, what's the top dog media player these days? I'm still using MPlayer and honestly I'm pretty fed up with it.

treat fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 6, 2009

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
All the media players for wii play movies off USB without usbloader.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If it isn't MplayerCE, get MplayerCE.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
It isn't. I'll go grab it. Thanks for the heads up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It works a lot better. While It's not as quick as a DVD player, I prefer it over DVD players simply because I don't have to point anything at anything else. I just pick up the wii remote and push a button. I think more devices should come with bluetooth remotes.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lobster Maneuver posted:

poo poo, so I have to switch the .dol everytime I want to switch games? I guess I'll be updating the Wii finally to whatever's included on the disc.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Attempting to load a burned DVD of various video files in MPlayer results in "Error mounting DVD." I've tried two different brands, one a Sony, so I suspect it isn't the media. A bit of googling suggests that I might need to update a cIOS for this, 202, but I'm unclear if the patch they want for it will break anything else. Anyone else tried this / know what could break?

EDIT: Wait, am I completely misunderstanding what the "Wii DVD" thing on MPlayerCE is? Is this only for retail normal DVDs, not random data DVDs?

EDIT2: Disregard. Tried a retail DVD, opened fine, and as data (yay!) but this means my DVD drive can't read DVD+R's period (boo!). Bah, oh well.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 6, 2009

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
When burning DVD+Rs, look for an option in the burning program to change the book type to DVD-R. I know ImgBurn allows this, at least.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Once again, I'm modding someone elses' Wii, but this one is a LU63. I know 64/65s are the risky ones and I'll probably be fine but the numbers are so close that my mind is telling me to stay away.

I'm in the clear, yes?

edit: I threw caution to the wind and I'm in the clear.

sigher fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 7, 2009

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Once again, is there any way at all to use my SD-Stored Guitar Hero DLC while using USB Loader?

The USB microphone works and all that but, not my SD stored DLC :(

Edit: Also, when using Homebrew Browser I can use it for about 3 minutes and then it throws an Exception (DSI) message at me.
Before it does that the functionality is awesome though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Luisfe posted:

Once again, is there any way at all to use my SD-Stored Guitar Hero DLC while using USB Loader?

The USB microphone works and all that but, not my SD stored DLC :(

Edit: Also, when using Homebrew Browser I can use it for about 3 minutes and then it throws an Exception (DSI) message at me.
Before it does that the functionality is awesome though.

Delete any icons or icon zip files that may be in the homebrew browser directory. 3 minutes sounds about right for how long it takes the homebrew browser to finish checking all of the icons it uses.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Luisfe posted:

Once again, no, not posted in this thread anyway. You're out of luck, sorry.

Lobster Maneuver
Jan 4, 2005

All heart and all thumbs

Liku posted:

poo poo, so I have to switch the .dol everytime I want to switch games? I guess I'll be updating the Wii finally to whatever's included on the disc.

I mean, I'm planning on playing one game at a time. But switching .dols only takes 30 seconds anyway, most of which is spent unlocking USB Loader GX.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lobster Maneuver posted:

I mean, I'm planning on playing one game at a time. But switching .dols only takes 30 seconds anyway, most of which is spent unlocking USB Loader GX.

It's just inconvenient and easier to just boot it from the disc anyway.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I imagine load times are a lot better running via USB loader like they were for regular Prime 3, especially compared to a dual layer disc. Is this correct for Prime 1 and 2 in the anthology?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
So just a heads up to anyone else using RawkSD to load RB1 content into RB2:

The guides all say that getting the "License expired" error on the RB1 content means that you're loading the disc through the "wrong IOS" [like usb-loading RB2]. This isn't the only way, and that explanation only seems to cover cases where NONE of the RB1 content will load and all of it throws that error. I've got a bad SD card in my wii, and it looks like something hosed up while I was transferring content over so that around half of the RB1 content shows that error, and half works fine. The solution of course is to get a working card, but also, using RawkSD to remove and reinstall the content on a song-by-song basis works. Cherub Rock failed the first time, I removed and reinstalled it and then it worked.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Another heads up to RawkSD users, it's apparently been updated and will now import pretty much any sort of GH track including World Tour, Metallica and GH5 tracks. However: there seems to be some issues remaining like some tracks losing sync or being very quiet, so read up before you use it.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Well this is annoying: Just got home with RB:The Beatles and it wants to update my system.

I can't seem to get it to work through USB loader or anything, just gives me a black screen no matter how I launch it.

I wish it was safe just to apply the update :(

edit: Updating from the disk via geckoOS seems to have worked, god drat the intro is fantastic.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Sep 9, 2009

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Bubble-T posted:

Well this is annoying: Just got home with RB:The Beatles and it wants to update my system.

I can't seem to get it to work through USB loader or anything, just gives me a black screen no matter how I launch it.

edit: Updating from the disk via geckoOS seems to have worked, god drat the intro is fantastic.

Same here; I was using Preloader to skip the update check so it took me a while to realize why it wouldn't boot. Disabled the "skip update check" hack and just accepted the update. Beatles is working now; I just hope it didn't screw anything else up too bad. Only thing I was using homebrew for was RawkSD, should I expect trouble getting that to work now?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I don't currently use any custom IOS's or WADs besides the Homebrew Channel. Will updating to 4.1U screw anything up for me? It's an LU63 Wii that came with 3.4U and that I have regular 4.0U on right now.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

A Violence Gang posted:

Same here; I was using Preloader to skip the update check so it took me a while to realize why it wouldn't boot. Disabled the "skip update check" hack and just accepted the update. Beatles is working now; I just hope it didn't screw anything else up too bad. Only thing I was using homebrew for was RawkSD, should I expect trouble getting that to work now?

Everything seems to work fine for me, though I haven't tried running rawksd yet.

For whatever reason this appears to be a safe update to install. Fingers crossed!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Bubble-T posted:

Everything seems to work fine for me, though I haven't tried running rawksd yet.

For whatever reason this appears to be a safe update to install. Fingers crossed!

Good news -- tore myself away from TB:RB long enough to pop RB2 back in, everything I imported is still listed, pulled up a RawkSD RB1 song and it worked. Homebrew Channel is still there and working, so yeah, this update, whatever it was that couldn't be skipped, appears to be 100% safe at least for homebrew in general and RawkSD in particular.

Is this the first game to come with an update that you truly had to install to boot? I was able to use Preloader to skip the 4.1 update on Tiger Woods 10 and it ran without any problems at all. Curious to see if the homebrewers figure out what this was all about.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

A Violence Gang posted:

Good news -- tore myself away from TB:RB long enough to pop RB2 back in, everything I imported is still listed, pulled up a RawkSD RB1 song and it worked. Homebrew Channel is still there and working, so yeah, this update, whatever it was that couldn't be skipped, appears to be 100% safe at least for homebrew in general and RawkSD in particular.

Is this the first game to come with an update that you truly had to install to boot? I was able to use Preloader to skip the 4.1 update on Tiger Woods 10 and it ran without any problems at all. Curious to see if the homebrewers figure out what this was all about.

From the bit of looking around I did before just installing the damned thing it looks like both this and GH5 require an IOS56 to be installed before you can launch them straight from the disc channel.

Not sure what's in it - most plausible guess is something to do with handling DLC on SD cards, GH5 has that feature where songs get downloaded straight to the SD card instead of being saved onto Wii memory first then moved. Both games might have needed something to handle SDHC card storage. Another possibility was that TB:RB needs an update to handle multiple microphones and harmonies.

We'll get a better answer when more people are asking about this due to legitimate copies rather than "how do I get the PAL pirated version to work on my NTSC Wii?" :rolleyes:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bubble-T posted:

It's not? I updated via Metroid Prime Trilogy and everything is still intact, I'm just 3.4U now instead of 3.3U.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Liku posted:

It's not? I updated via Metroid Prime Trilogy and everything is still intact, I'm just 3.4U now instead of 3.3U.

We've all been talking about 4.1 here.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

fishmech posted:

We've all been talking about 4.1 here.

And I wouldn't think that The Beatles: Rock Band would update to 4.1, which is what he was referring to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Liku posted:

And I wouldn't think that The Beatles: Rock Band would update to 4.1, which is what he was referring to.

But it does? I put in the disc, went to play it, and my Wii updated from 4.0U to 4.1U!

• Locked thread