Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Midelne posted:

Erm.
They really need to change their name to something that sounds less like malware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

I shouldn't trust the phones. They're full of gas.

brc64 posted:

They really need to change their name to something that sounds less like malware.

Maybe something like UltraSpywareKiller2010.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Midelne posted:

Point taken.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I feel like I'm risking getting flamed in here... I had a friend recently who had Virut on her hard drive in a few system files, WMplayer.exe, etc. I scanned it offline from another machine with SAS and MBAS, as well as the AV client on the scanning machine, then performed a repair install. Should I have been able to clean it off in the space of a few hours?

Here's the important part of the log:

code:
"E:\Program Files\drv\drv.dll";"Trojan horse Proxy.AGWM";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\Program Files\drv\drv.sys";"Trojan horse Rootkit-Agent.EA";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe";"Virus found Win32/Virut";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe";"Virus found Win32/Virut";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-806781853-103213164-3961594168-1006\Dc8.exe";"Trojan horse FakeAlert.KT";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\System Volume Information\_restore{1F892275-A7DA-44F3-801F-74DF771BF5AB}\RP5\A0000337.exe";"Trojan horse SHeur2.AOSF";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\System Volume Information\_restore{1F892275-A7DA-44F3-801F-74DF771BF5AB}\RP5\A0000338.exe";"Trojan horse Generic13.BWKW";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\System Volume Information\_restore{1F892275-A7DA-44F3-801F-74DF771BF5AB}\RP5\A0000339.exe";"Trojan horse VB.IYB";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\System Volume Information\_restore{1F892275-A7DA-44F3-801F-74DF771BF5AB}\RP5\A0000340.exe";"Trojan horse FakeAlert.KT";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\System Volume Information\_restore{1F892275-A7DA-44F3-801F-74DF771BF5AB}\RP5\A0000341.exe";"Trojan horse FakeAlert.KT";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\System Volume Information\_restore{1F892275-A7DA-44F3-801F-74DF771BF5AB}\RP5\A0000342.exe";"Trojan horse PSW.Generic7.PLE";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\System Volume Information\_restore{1F892275-A7DA-44F3-801F-74DF771BF5AB}\RP5\A0000343.exe";"Trojan horse Generic13.BXOC";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\System Volume Information\_restore{1F892275-A7DA-44F3-801F-74DF771BF5AB}\RP5\A0000343.exe:\sopidkc.exe";"Trojan horse Generic13.BXOC";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\System Volume Information\_restore{1F892275-A7DA-44F3-801F-74DF771BF5AB}\RP5\A0000343.exe:\tpsaxyd.exe";"Trojan horse Delf.KZJ";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\System Volume Information\_restore{1F892275-A7DA-44F3-801F-74DF771BF5AB}\RP5\A0000344.exe";"Trojan horse Downloader.Generic8.ZWW";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\System Volume Information\_restore{1F892275-A7DA-44F3-801F-74DF771BF5AB}\RP5\A0000345.dll";"Trojan horse Proxy.AGWM";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\System Volume Information\_restore{1F892275-A7DA-44F3-801F-74DF771BF5AB}\RP5\A0000346.sys";"Trojan horse Rootkit-Agent.EA";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\System Volume Information\_restore{1F892275-A7DA-44F3-801F-74DF771BF5AB}\RP5\A0000347.exe";"Virus found Win32/Virut";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\System Volume Information\_restore{1F892275-A7DA-44F3-801F-74DF771BF5AB}\RP5\A0000349.exe";"Virus found Win32/Virut";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\WINDOWS\freddy49.exe";"Trojan horse Generic13.BWJW";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\WINDOWS\ld12.exe";"Virus found Win32/Virut";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\WINDOWS\msa.exe";"Trojan horse Downloader.Zlob.ANLY";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\WINDOWS\pp10.exe";"Trojan horse Generic13.BTTZ";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\cmd.exe";"Virus found Win32/Virut";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\hjgruinregyxef.sys";"Virus identified Packed.Monder";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\UACyotnbodulkbidlt.sys";"Trojan horse Injector.FB";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\vxurgour.sys";"Trojan horse Rootkit-Agent.DY";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\gdi32lib.dll";"Trojan horse Downloader.Generic8.BBXD";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ghaf8jkdfd.dll";"Trojan horse BHO.JGY";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\hjgruidnhsorsa.dll";"Virus identified Packed.Monder";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\hjgruiksxvdrcm.dll";"Virus identified Win32/Cryptor";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\msxml71.dll";"Trojan horse Downloader.Zlob.ANMN";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\netsetup.exe";"Virus found Win32/Virut";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntvdm.exe";"Virus found Win32/Virut";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\regsvr32.exe";"Virus found Win32/Virut";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\sdra64.exe";"Trojan horse PSW.Generic7.PLE";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\sopidkc.exe";"Trojan horse Generic13.BXOC";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\tpsaxyd.exe";"Trojan horse Delf.KZJ";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\UACoirkrjnoxjxbqdh.dll";"Virus found FakeAlert";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\verclsid.exe";"Virus found Win32/Virut";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\wiwow64.exe";"Trojan horse Downloader.Generic8.BEKC";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\WINDOWS\Temp\cpv.exe";"Trojan horse Generic14.ISO";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\WINDOWS\Temp\kigpwqrxas.exe";"Trojan horse Generic14.BKK.dropper";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\WINDOWS\Temp\lsass.exe";"Trojan horse Generic14.BKK";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\WINDOWS\Temp\mlk1t4y59l.exe";"Trojan horse Generic14.IVO";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"E:\WINDOWS\Temp\sfjh98w3jkdmfkd.exe";"Trojan horse Generic14.IVO";"Moved to Virus Vault"

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

Oddhair posted:

I feel like I'm risking getting flamed in here... I had a friend recently who had Virut on her hard drive in a few system files, WMplayer.exe, etc. I scanned it offline from another machine with SAS and MBAS, as well as the AV client on the scanning machine, then performed a repair install. Should I have been able to clean it off in the space of a few hours?

Personally I see Virut and give up on cleaning. It's not impossible to clean, but it's a lot quicker and less frustrating to remove vital pictures and documents, format, and reinstall Windows.

Did you ever see that Achewood comic about the guy who invented Comic Sans? That's what I imagine it'll be like someday for the IT community when someone takes credit for writing Virut.

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

Otacon posted:

Came across a Rogue Antivirus today at work that would blue screen on Safe Mode, but let you into Windows normally. All EXE, BAT and DLL associations were changed and no longer allowed to run - I'd try launching Combofix, and Windows would ask me "Please choose a program to run this Application." Found some registry tweaks online, installed those, and finally ComboFix came up with about 25 infected GIF files sitting in System32/Config - turns out whatever this Rogue AV included allowing GIF files to be run as programs.

SANS post on something very similar today, at least with regards to .exe hijacking. Looks like another major pain in the rear end to clean no matter how you slice it.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
What gets me about virut, is that it doesn't seem like it has any real purpose other than to just gently caress up an install.

When I got it once all it did was devour my subsystem processes one by one till windows wouldn't even run properly. It didn't seem to affect any htm files like the general description of it mentioned. It did drop a pretty rad fake virus scanner on though.

I actually thought because of the scanner it was vundo, but after getting something that would actually run to scan, it came up virut.

All I could really do to fix it was just kill the install and excorcise the disc before reinstalling.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
It was probably something like a proof of concept that went too far. What it's supposed to do, probably, if inject code into an executable and work while the executable still functions properly, but it screws up the injection most of the time and breaks everything.

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

Firefox is going to start warning users when they've got versions of Adobe Flash Player that are known to have security issues.

Good idea, but the way things have been I'm betting it'll be under a month before we see a slow shift from YOU NEED A VIDEO CODEC to YOUR FLASH PLAYER IS INSECURE -- it'd be simple to target Mozilla users with a separate package and serve the usual crap to IE.

Still, step in the right direction maybe?

abominable fricke
Nov 11, 2003

What does Pottsylvania have more than any other country? Mean! We have more mean than any other country in Europe! We must export mean.

Midelne posted:

Personally I see Virut and give up on cleaning. It's not impossible to clean, but it's a lot quicker and less frustrating to remove vital pictures and documents, format, and reinstall Windows.

Did you ever see that Achewood comic about the guy who invented Comic Sans? That's what I imagine it'll be like someday for the IT community when someone takes credit for writing Virut.

I've told clients that if I ever met the son of a bitch I would approach him, shake his hand, congratulate him on making something so nefariously evil, and then cold cock him in the nose.

I think I would be justified.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_Sans

The guy made it for children cartoon speech bubbles in MS Bob. It's not his fault every idiot on the planet adopted it as a general use font.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Suspicious posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_Sans

The guy made it for children cartoon speech bubbles in MS Bob. It's not his fault every idiot on the planet adopted it as a general use font.

I would rather see every font in the world replaced with comic sans than see another thing that uses Papyrus. At least Comic Sans is legible, if informal.

juggernaught
Jun 11, 2008
Anyone the kind of virus resurfaces on your computer after a resetting the CMOS and removing the battery? I removed my hard drives. Reset the cmos and removed the system battery and waited the normal 10 seconds. On reboot I get
a message telling about a CMOS checksum error. Forcing me to F2 the setup menu where each time there is always something different than the previous reset. I.E. the boot devices are different. Most noticeably after a long careful process of taking the proper steps my boot devices were listed as

cdrom
hard drive device
removeable media card

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
AFAIK, every time you do a reset, your BIOS will force you to go into the settings, or at least force you to choose between custom and "optimized" settings of its own. What you have doesn't sound like a virus at all. Why did you remove your hard drives? They have nothing to do with clearing a CMOS. Your problem sounds more like hardware than viruses.

juggernaught
Jun 11, 2008

Ensign Expendable posted:

AFAIK, every time you do a reset, your BIOS will force you to go into the settings, or at least force you to choose between custom and "optimized" settings of its own. What you have doesn't sound like a virus at all. Why did you remove your hard drives? They have nothing to do with clearing a CMOS. Your problem sounds more like hardware than viruses.

So I can be pragmatic I, I'm obviously trying to eliminate all possible problem causes right off the bat. The hard drive because there are boot managers such as SBM Smart Boot Manager that can be installed to the hard drives master boot record. But that doesn't seem to be the real source since my BIOS acts differently each time I reset it totally independent of any hard drive attachment..

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't know where to go for help, everything's turned up useless. I have a hijacker that just appeared today, it shrinks my browser and redirects for me to download Virus Doctor or greenav install. Neither of those is actually installed so I can't remove them, and nothing is finding the redirector, not even Combofix. The url it usually tries to send me to is andoscan.info. My netbook ended up with the same hijacker when I tried looking it up for removal instructions. I did get to http://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?name=andoscan.info and all the entries there are from today. What the gently caress does anyone know what to do, I'm scared.

Edit: I've used Combofix, Malawarebytes, AdAware, Spybot, Windows Defender, McAfee, VundoFix, and HijackThis. None of them have found anything wrong. I know this probably isn't the right place but the malware guide in Tech Support is like four years out of date.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 6, 2009

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Did you try those in safe mode? Also, try burning the Ultimate Boot CD and scanning from that, don't give the virus a chance to run and conceal itself. Of course, there is the possibility that it's new and nothing detects it yet, in which case your only hope is that heuristics get it. I think Avira has the most paranoid ones, try that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Downloading Avira. The fact that no one reported this before today on Norton's site makes me suspicious about it being new, do you have any idea how long it usually takes for updated tools? I really, really don't want to format, especially if it might come right back from one of my other hard drives.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
New definition files for Avast come out once every few days, but tossing in a file signature shouldn't be all that hard, unless it's especially sneaky somehow. The only way that it could come back from your other drives is if it infected the autorun.ini file and starts itself once the drive is mounted. You can get around that by disabling autorun and scanning it once antiviruses can detect it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The only way that it could come back from your other drives is if it infected the autorun.ini file and starts itself once the drive is mounted. You can get around that by disabling autorun and scanning it once antiviruses can detect it.

That makes me feel better at least. I have a C: partition for Windows, then all my programs on D: partition, then another internal and three external drives. If I format C: and reinstall, I shouldn't have to worry about reinfection from those other drives/partitions? Or would I have to completely wipe the physical drive that the C: partition is on? Or both internals?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Depends on how persistent this one is. If it's your average malware, once any good AV gets the definition, it should be able to clean it right off and you won't have to format anything. If it's as bad as Virut, you'll have to nuke everything that was in contact with the drive. I haven't seen any virus/malware that replicates itself through internal disks, only external ones. Once anything you have can detect it, disable autorun and scan every drive that could have been infected. Overall, it shouldn't be too bad, I've never seen a hijacker that warranted a reinstall.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
It would be nice if we could keep the help requests in Haus of Tech Support.

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

Tapedump posted:

It would be nice if we could keep the help requests in Haus of Tech Support.

This thread has a pretty solid history of virus removal help requests. If we excluded those, what would we have besides a bunch of IT dudes bitching? We already have a couple threads for that.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Yeah, I suppose you're right.

Never mind then, carry on.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

in which case your only hope is that heuristics get it. I think Avira has the most paranoid ones

Yeah I can vouch for that. Drives me crazy sometimes.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sunbelt's Vipre software has very good heuristics, updates hourly, and has a free 15 day trial. I'd give that a shot.

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

That makes me feel better at least. I have a C: partition for Windows, then all my programs on D: partition, then another internal and three external drives. If I format C: and reinstall, I shouldn't have to worry about reinfection from those other drives/partitions? Or would I have to completely wipe the physical drive that the C: partition is on? Or both internals?

You should go to https://www.bleepingcomputer.com and post there. They will be able to help you much more and will be able to write removal programs if nothing else works.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

fishmech posted:

At least Comic Sans is legible, if informal.
It's funny you say this. My wife works for a credit reporting bureau, and when she was in training before they put her on the phones, her job was to process letters people sent in the mail disputing credit issues.

She told me that she once received a letter, claiming to be some sort of legal proof that a particular debt had been taken care of or something. The letter was printed in Comic Sans.

Queen of Beans
Jun 15, 2007

hobofood posted:

My parents PC has picked up a horrible little SuperAntiSpyware 2010 infection, claiming that they have 38 trojans and really should input their credit card details to get rid of them. I have no idea how to get rid of it. They had AVG and Spybot installed originally, but both were uninstalled when I came to it. I ran MalwareBytes and that gets rid of it as far as I know it gets rid of it completely, subsequent scans with both MalwareBytes and Spybot both report that it's clean, so I installed Avast, set Avast and MalwareBytes to scan every day and left them to it.

A few days later, it was reinfected, Avast and Spybot had been uninstalled, MalwareBytes was still installed but it crashed whenever I tried to scan. I took the PC home and ran a full scan of their HDD with ClamAV. That removed it, so I booted it up and scanned with MalwareBytes, Spybot and Avast and it came up clean.

Now they have it again, and I just can't figure out how the gently caress they keep on being reinfected or how it comes back again.

The first, last (and possibly the second) times it has popped up, when the PC boots it tries to install an app called "PhotoGallery" from what looks like a MSI installer, but it stops part of the way through and asks for a disk to be inserted in drive "\" and never goes further. I used FileMon to find the file and delete it, and quizzed the family to make sure they hadn't tried to install anything.

At this point, I figure it has to be something nasty installed on a peripheral device (though they all swear after the 2nd time that they haven't plugged anything in) - there are 2 ipods, 2 digicams and a handful of USB memory sticks hanging around, but Autorun is disabled so I really don't think that's the problem.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get rid of it and stop it from ever coming back?

In a hilarious turn of events, when my dad described the return of the malware, he failed to mention that it's name was "AVG Antivirus" and that it was telling him that it had blocked things.

I ran VundoFix and ComboFix anyway, both came up clean. AVG's log looked fine too (blocked a couple of things but scans have been running)

Phaeoacremonium
Aug 7, 2008
Holy poo poo, it just took me four days to get rid of the most annoying piece of crap on my home pc. I need some expert advice itt to prevent this from happening, so please excuse this missive from noobsville.

I don't know where it came from (I'm not online at home) or when the infection happened and all my usb storage appears to be clean. It was a whole bunch of loving things including braviax.exe, cru629.dat, msword98.exe and so on. Even after finding and removing everything in Safe Mode, something else would pop up and off we'd go again. During the infection I couldn't get my copy of Spybot S&D to run and couldn't get Superantispyware installed. WTF? Eventually I got the latest AVG 8 update from my uni's it support yesterday and it was as simple as that. What the hell happened there?

Independence
Jul 12, 2006

The Wriggler

Phaeoacremonium posted:

Holy poo poo, it just took me four days to get rid of the most annoying piece of crap on my home pc. I need some expert advice itt to prevent this from happening, so please excuse this missive from noobsville.

I don't know where it came from (I'm not online at home) or when the infection happened and all my usb storage appears to be clean. It was a whole bunch of loving things including braviax.exe, cru629.dat, msword98.exe and so on. Even after finding and removing everything in Safe Mode, something else would pop up and off we'd go again. During the infection I couldn't get my copy of Spybot S&D to run and couldn't get Superantispyware installed. WTF? Eventually I got the latest AVG 8 update from my uni's it support yesterday and it was as simple as that. What the hell happened there?

Firefox and noscript add-on will fix it. I just cleaned that malware off a computer last Thursday and he got it from a web ad.

Phaeoacremonium
Aug 7, 2008

Independence posted:

Firefox and noscript add-on will fix it. I just cleaned that malware off a computer last Thursday and he got it from a web ad.

Alright, thanks. Just weird because like I said I don't go online on that computer. But I'll take steps with firefox on my netbook, which is used online at work.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Phaeoacremonium posted:

Alright, thanks. Just weird because like I said I don't go online on that computer. But I'll take steps with firefox on my netbook, which is used online at work.

You mentioned you're connecting to your Universities network. That's probably your vector for infection right there.

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

Stanley Pain posted:

You mentioned you're connecting to your Universities network. That's probably your vector for infection right there.

Your avatar reminds me I need to expense a new punchdown tool. Mine is less than snazzy.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Midelne posted:

Your avatar reminds me I need to expense a new punchdown tool. Mine is less than snazzy.

You're welcome ;)

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

juggernaught posted:

So I can be pragmatic I, I'm obviously trying to eliminate all possible problem causes right off the bat. The hard drive because there are boot managers such as SBM Smart Boot Manager that can be installed to the hard drives master boot record. But that doesn't seem to be the real source since my BIOS acts differently each time I reset it totally independent of any hard drive attachment..

Your BIOS is trying to make sense of the corrupted data stored in the NVRAM, most likely. There aren't any BIOS level viruses for the x86 platform, because by the time flash memory for ROMs became common, there were too many differences between systems to write one that would be guaranteed to do anything other than A) fail to flash, or B) disable the system entirely.

If you're virus hunting, it's on the harddrive. It came from the internet or removable media. Start from there.

corgski fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Sep 9, 2009

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

thelightguy posted:

There aren't any BIOS level viruses for the x86 platform

Yes there are, but they're very hard to catch and when they activate they tend to just silently wipe the bios during regular usage.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

fishmech posted:

Yes there are, but they're very hard to catch and when they activate they tend to just silently wipe the bios during regular usage.

Not saying I doubt you or anything, but there are so many inconsistencies between BIOSes that it would be impossible to write something that would target more than a relatively small number of systems, since you'd need a different binary image for each motherboard. The Amiga, because of its more standardized architecture had so-called restart proof viruses, which were more or less BIOS level, but not the PC.

corgski fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Sep 9, 2009

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

thelightguy posted:

The Amiga, because of its more standardized architecture had so-called restart proof viruses, which were more or less BIOS level, but not the PC.

Actually the equivalent of the BIOS on the amiga was the kickstart which was not flashable (except on the A1000 and A3000 where it lived on a floppy disk). The restart persistent viruses on the amiga could survive warm reboots (ctrl+amiga+amiga), which didn't clear the memory (and, presumably, some kind of initialization vector), and spread to the next floppy disk inserted. Powering off your amiga properly between disk swaps stopped the virus spreading (this is all pre-hard-drive, of course).

re: BIOS viruses, they definitely exist but i've not yet seen one in the wild. POCs are easy to find, I think there's even a phrack paper about making one using vmware. But I doubt you'll run into them because they're a lot harder than regular viruses which are, at this point, downright trivial to make (since they're all mostly the same few bits of code copy+pasted together anyway). Why bother putting the time in? Viruses are for-profit these days and the people getting infected with them aren't going to be more vulnerable to a BIOS virus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

River Raid
Apr 2, 2004

GODDAMN I AM A HUGE MORON! WITH A JETPLANE OF STUPID!

Midelne posted:

http://www.awfulmart.com/

Big Jim's Spyware annihilator and Fish Boner

• Locked thread