Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

french lies posted:

Maybe you just need to man the gently caress up and play the game as it is intended to be played instead of demanding it to be Fable with a grit filter? The game isn't even all that hard if you don't play like a complete retard.

I maybe wouldn't go this far, but I would point out that almost all the levels (with a few exceptions, like 1-2 and 4-2) have shortcuts that let you get to the boss while skipping most of the level (e.g., 1-1, 1-3, 4-1, 5-2, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

french lies
Apr 16, 2008

McCoy Pauley posted:

I maybe wouldn't go this far, but I would point out that almost all the levels (with a few exceptions, like 1-2 and 4-2) have shortcuts that let you get to the boss while skipping most of the level (e.g., 1-1, 1-3, 4-1, 5-2, etc.)
The only shortcut in 4-1 is a glitch (same as 2-2), and even the levels with shortcuts often require you to trek through quite an amount of distance and enemies before you get to the boss itself.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

french lies posted:

The only shortcut in 4-1 is a glitch (same as 2-2), and even the levels with shortcuts often require you to trek through quite an amount of distance and enemies before you get to the boss itself.

I know the glitch in 4-1 (although I'd say it's a pretty significant shortcut, since you only have to tackle about 9 skeletons if memory serves, and none of the flying rays), but what's the glitch in 2-2?

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

McCoy Pauley posted:

I know the glitch in 4-1 (although I'd say it's a pretty significant shortcut, since you only have to tackle about 9 skeletons if memory serves, and none of the flying rays), but what's the glitch in 2-2?

I don't know about any glitch in 2-2, but falling down that tunnel takes about 30 seconds and you really don't even have to kill anything.

If you go the other way and take the shorter shortcut, it's like 3 enemies and a minute and a half.

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.

McCoy Pauley posted:

He might mean the mineshaft, but that isn't a glitch.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I don't know what some of you are talking about with lack of shortcuts. 1-2, 4-1, and 4-2 have them.

1-2: Kill the dragon
4-1: Turn off the arrow-shooting deathtrap
4-2: Kill the cultist things managing the chains

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Kreeblah posted:

I don't know what some of you are talking about with lack of shortcuts. 1-2, 4-1, and 4-2 have them.

1-2: Kill the dragon
4-1: Turn off the arrow-shooting deathtrap
4-2: Kill the cultist things managing the chains

I guess that's a shortcut in 1-2, but you still have to run the whole level. For those other two, you're talking about World 3 (Tower of Latria), not World 4 (Shrine of Storms), which is what I was talking about. If there's a shortcut in World 4-2, I haven't heard about it.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

McCoy Pauley posted:

I guess that's a shortcut in 1-2, but you still have to run the whole level. For those other two, you're talking about World 3 (Tower of Latria), not World 4 (Shrine of Storms), which is what I was talking about. If there's a shortcut in World 4-2, I haven't heard about it.

Well, for 1-2, you're supposed to have to run under a good portion of it. You can still avoid the dragon's breath while it's still alive, so it's not as much of a shortcut as, say, 5-2, but it's better than nothing.

As for world 4, well, :saddowns:. You're right. I was thinking of world 3.

boatiemathmo
Dec 12, 2004
1-2 is definitely way faster after killing the dragon - the bit at the end with the blue eyed knight is much simplet when you can afford to hang back and take out his entourage first. OK, maybe you still have to run through most of it, but it's still quicker, and that makes a shortcut in my book

EvilUrchin
Jun 13, 2007

Sigmar's Fist: 5 Star Crash Rating
Speaking of the 1-2 dragon, I'm sure this has been asked before but is there anything you can do with his soul besides consume it for the 10,000 soul points?

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

EvilUrchin posted:

Speaking of the 1-2 dragon, I'm sure this has been asked before but is there anything you can do with his soul besides consume it for the 10,000 soul points?

I held onto it as a showpiece for my inventory, as I don't think there's anything else it's good for. 10,000 souls is nothing, anyway.

EvilUrchin
Jun 13, 2007

Arcaeris posted:

I held onto it as a showpiece for my inventory, as I don't think there's anything else it's good for. 10,000 souls is nothing, anyway.

Well, its not too bad when you're at soul level 10 or so.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My level of curiosity about this game has been driving me nuts since its release. Since this thread is loving huge I wanted to ask a few questions that may have been answered at some point.

Is it really worth the difficulty? Like is it "I can do this if I keep trying" hard or "this is ridiculous and I will never beat it" hard? Some of my favorite games are difficult trial and error games (Ikaruga) but I'll admit I'm not the most hardcore gamer out there.

Will the US release see any difficulty adjustment, maybe a less hard mode or would that just defeat the purpose?

In the end I'm just wondering if I am going to regret buying this and if I should wait for the US release (the extra pack in stuff is not a big deal to me)

Raptop
Sep 3, 2004
not queer for western digital

NESguerilla posted:

My level of curiosity about this game has been driving me nuts since its release. Since this thread is loving huge I wanted to ask a few questions that may have been answered at some point.

Is it really worth the difficulty? Like is it "I can do this if I keep trying" hard or "this is ridiculous and I will never beat it" hard? Some of my favorite games are difficult trial and error games (Ikaruga) but I'll admit I'm not the most hardcore gamer out there.

The former; you'll notice everything becoming remarkably easier as you become more acostomed to the levels.

quote:

Will the US release see any difficulty adjustment, maybe a less hard mode or would that just defeat the purpose?

Who knows; Atlus hasn't explicitly said that it would be changed. It will probably get bad reviews due to it's high difficulty.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Most of the "hardness" comes from the devilish environment designs and how the enemies are hidden into it. That is hardly something that should be changed with a difficulty slider.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Most of the "hardness" comes from the devilish environment designs and how the enemies are hidden into it. That is hardly something that should be changed with a difficulty slider.

So the enemies ambush you alot?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

Is it really worth the difficulty? Like is it "I can do this if I keep trying" hard or "this is ridiculous and I will never beat it" hard?

It is very much the former. It's hard at first, to be sure, but it's the kind of game that drives you get much better at it very quickly.

If you're familiar with God Hand, it's similar to that kind of difficulty - when you first start out, you'll get your rear end handed to you on a regular basis, but once you get the hang of how it plays, you'll effortlessly tear through what used to be major threats... with the occasional setback when you get a little sloppy or get hit with something new.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

NESguerilla posted:

So the enemies ambush you alot?
Yep. And they are largely silent, or move very quietly. You'll hear a little bit of a shuffling sound, and suddenly there's a huge monster with its teeth in your back.

edit: "ambush" might be the wrong word, the enemies aren't generally smart enough to stay out of your sight and skirt around you. Rather, where they are initially positioned in the level leads them to attack you from out of sight. Like, you're walking along a hallway focused on an enemy that is in front of you, and you don't notice a tiny alcove to your left that has an enemy hiding in it. It's just the level design that does it.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 13, 2009

Calicoo
Apr 29, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yep. And they are largely silent, or move very quietly. You'll hear a little bit of a shuffling sound, and suddenly there's a huge monster with its teeth in your back.

edit: "ambush" might be the wrong word, the enemies aren't generally smart enough to stay out of your sight and skirt around you. Rather, where they are initially positioned in the level leads them to attack you from out of sight. Like, you're walking along a hallway focused on an enemy that is in front of you, and you don't notice a tiny alcove to your left that has an enemy hiding in it. It's just the level design that does it.

Although, I've noticed most of the time there are warning signs if you play online.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

The best part is when there's an item near the edge of a platform, with an accompanying monster in the nearby shadows. While in the middle of your pickup animation, the monster charges you. :(

french lies
Apr 16, 2008

Raptop posted:

Who knows; Atlus hasn't explicitly said that it would be changed. It will probably get bad reviews due to it's high difficulty.
On the contrary, Atlus have stated explicitly that the difficulty will not be changed. As for the reviews, I actually think the reputation this game has for being balls hard will work in its favor, compelling reviewers to give the game high marks lest they be accused of being pussies.

quote:

Very much the former and if you stick with it you'll find it very rewarding once you're past the frustrating first few levels. DS is not the cheap kind of hard which spawns hundreds of enemies at you or drops you smack into the middle of a tough level without any health or power-ups, it's hard because your character is weak and easily killed. You need to tackle every facet of the game with the fact in mind that 2-3 hits from any enemy will most likely kill you. There are almost no random elements in any given level, and most bosses' attacks are telegraphed so you can dodge or block them easily.

Nuitari
Jun 17, 2005

Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker and Tits.
Personally I find the difficulty in this game to be WAAAAAY overrated. Maybe it's because I'm a veteran gamer and remember the days of limited lives and continues, and extremely cheesy level design choices to lengthen old 8-bit games that were in reality about 30 minutes long.

Of course if you're a new-age gamer and gets frustrated everytime you die and have to start at the beginning of a level, this game probably isn't for you. But any adequate gamer with just a little patience and skill should be able to enjoy this title and get through it without too many problems.

There will be deaths, there will be restarting levels, there will be bosses that make you scratch your head and maybe even say "gently caress it" and shut it off, but you'll come back, you'll defeat them, and you'll smile and pat yourself on the back afterwords.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

It's hard. When you play the tutorial level, you'll be like, "Holy poo poo that guy just did a jumping slash to me and cut me in half in one hit!!!"

Then you will learn that enemy, and the next time maybe you'll block his attack and counter. Then later you'll face one of him again, but a Black Phantom version, and you'll parry it. And then sometime later, you'll face that guy and when he jumps at you, somehow you're behind him already, cutting him in half. And you'll mow down 5 of them in as many seconds.

That's why this game is both difficult and rewarding. Every enemy can demolish you, but if you learn how they work and how to beat them, you can do it as long as you keep on your toes. And then the game will continually throw new enemies with new challenges at you.

Early on, I took to just walking through new levels with my dude's shield up the whole time, because there are a zillion dudes who just jump out and get you.

Golgozor
Jun 20, 2002

Medicine Snakes
I managed to get the hang of things very quick, and I'm they guy who never beat any NES game except bionic commando (I'm also old as gently caress). Of the bosses I've fought so far (Phalanx, Armored Spider, Flamelurker, Idol, Dragon God, and Adjudicator) the only one I didn't kill on the first try was Adjudicator. I used no magic to fight flamelurker too, because I'm smooth like that.

PSN ID(PS4): Steamshovel_Dan WiiU: Steamshovel (not playing it ATM)

EvilUrchin
Jun 13, 2007

Golgozor posted:

I managed to get the hang of things very quick, and I'm they guy who never beat any NES game except bionic commando (I'm also old as gently caress). Of the bosses I've fought so far (Phalanx, Armored Spider, Flamelurker, Idol, Dragon God, and Adjudicator) the only one I didn't kill on the first try was Adjudicator. I used no magic to fight flamelurker too, because I'm smooth like that.

Really? It took me somewhere around a million tries to kill Flamelurker without any magic, but Adjudicator went down like a sack of bricks when I so much as gave him a mean look.

french lies
Apr 16, 2008

EvilUrchin posted:

Really? It took me somewhere around a million tries to kill Flamelurker without any magic, but Adjudicator went down like a sack of bricks when I so much as gave him a mean look.
Adjudicator is an easy boss but a lot of times you'll get him stuck against a wall so you can't circle him and avoid his cleaver attack. If you get too far away from him he'll use his tongue lash attack which does quite a bit of damage. I died a couple of times like this.

Golgozor
Jun 20, 2002

Medicine Snakes

EvilUrchin posted:

I whipped the poo poo out of Flamelurker because I had a purple flame shield +6 or +7 and I wore light armor and could still monkey roll. He drat near couldn't hurt me.

I always got immediately tongued by adjudicator, my brother showed me when to roll away from the tongue and blasted him with arrows from on high.

PSN ID(PS4): Steamshovel_Dan WiiU: Steamshovel (not playing it ATM)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Random Hajile posted:

It is very much the former. It's hard at first, to be sure, but it's the kind of game that drives you get much better at it very quickly.

If you're familiar with God Hand, it's similar to that kind of difficulty - when you first start out, you'll get your rear end handed to you on a regular basis, but once you get the hang of how it plays, you'll effortlessly tear through what used to be major threats... with the occasional setback when you get a little sloppy or get hit with something new.

This makes me think it may be something like the PS2 Shinobi or Xbox Ninja Gaiden, and that makes me happy. Those games were maddeningly tough, but they make you into better players and you feel amazing at the end of the day.

EvilUrchin
Jun 13, 2007

Golgozor posted:

I whipped the poo poo out of Flamelurker because I had a purple flame shield +6 or +7 and I wore light armor and could still monkey roll. He drat near couldn't hurt me.

This is pretty similar to my build when I went after him, and I could generally kick his rear end all the way down to 1/4th of his health bar or so. Then he'd go into his white hot mode and proceed to immediately stun lock me with constant explosions anytime I even tried to get a hit off on him, which meant it was time to grab a bow and play "ring around the dragon spine" with him. Though it may be a cheese method of killing him, its still bloody nerve-wracking to take him on without a shield up.

As for the idea its like Shinobi or Ninja Gaiden, the analogy isn't too far off, but the gameplay here is definitely much slower paced, since you're just a dude who apparently had some armor and a weapon or two lying around and went out for some fun and profit, as opposed to some variety of super ninja.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

I didn't magic Flamelurker either. He's easy to start off with, but when he goes super-aggro you can use the pillars and stuff to avoid him. He often jumps around them, but there will be openings where you can attack and use grass and stuff.

I couldn't keep him away long enough when using magic, it seemed like melee was the only viable strategy.

SlippyFists
Jul 16, 2007

To The Flowers of Time!

I didn't know about this until today while browsing, hopefully this kind of competition becomes popular over here in a couple of weeks.

Sorry if this has already been talked about.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm8246140

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm8245857

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm8238656

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm8238417

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm8238007

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
I used to watch a lot of pvp videos on nicovideo a few months ago when I was playing this a lot, but the popularity of the game seems to have died down now.

The tournaments are a good idea, but I prefer watching people actively play against others. It's easier to learn tactics like that, as opposed to watching what is basically two guys rolling around poking each other.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Is there gonna be any difference between the north american version of the game and the asian english version? I liked the game enough that I'd probably buy it twice.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Is there gonna be any difference between the north american version of the game and the asian english version? I liked the game enough that I'd probably buy it twice.

Atlus is doing the localization so the stuff in English will probably be better translated. And you'll be playing on NA servers, not Asian servers. I think that's about it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Ornamented Death posted:

Atlus is doing the localization so the stuff in English will probably be better translated. And you'll be playing on NA servers, not Asian servers. I think that's about it.

The voicework (which was outsourced to a UK company, even) and subtitles will be the same, though. It's just item descriptions that should be clarified a bit, and if they weren't an issue for you when you played, then that's not much of an improvement. Not that much for Atlus to do this time.

I recall hearing that they were going to add some slight graphical upgrades as well, like reenabling character shadows, but I'd assume that if they do that, then the asian version will get a patch alongside it.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Maybe they'll make it so the game doesn't start sucking dick if you decide to start destroying boxes in.. well, most places. Most notably the first blue knight in 1-1, in front of the fog.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

What kind of sadistic developer would penalize a player for destroying boxes?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Ornamented Death posted:

What kind of sadistic developer would penalize a player for destroying boxes?

The same sadistic developer that put an instantly lethal deathtrap literally one step to your right at the start of King's Field 4. It's possible to go from start to game over in under one second.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I feel I have missed out on a lot of fun by never having played any King's Field games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
The same developer who has a tutorial dungeon boss which is basically impossible to kill unless you actively seem it out, since Demon's Souls shoehorns you into dying.

Game chugs pretty hard because of ~*~PS3 PhySiCs~*~ and NOTHING in worlds is removed, so all corpses and actions remain. I guess this to keep it as realistic as possible, and it's pretty neat going somewhere and seeing your own trail instead of just a lack of objects or enemies. But the game suffers a bit in doing so.

I really should check out King's Field sometime.

• Locked thread