Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Can we talk about kick drums?

I feel like I can't really get mine to sound great... I'm just using some wav samples and Ableton's built-in EQ and compressor, and I can get it to sound okay but I'm never like "drat, that's a kick drum." I'd love any tips, recommendations for sample libraries, or links to good material about mixing/creating kick drums for dance music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

stun runner posted:

I feel like I can't really get mine to sound great... I'm just using some wav samples and Ableton's built-in EQ and compressor, and I can get it to sound okay but I'm never like "drat, that's a kick drum." I'd love any tips, recommendations for sample libraries, or links to good material about mixing/creating kick drums for dance music.

Get any of the "Vengeance Essential Clubsounds" sample CDs and you should be sorted.
http://www.vengeance-sound.de

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

stun runner posted:

I use these.

http://www.soundstosample.com/info/Simplosive/Deep_Kicks/177

http://www.soundstosample.com/info/Simplosive/Hard_Kicks/223

I like them.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Ya it really is loving tough to build that really clean yet heavy, punchy and just subby enough. Its a craft. Sometimes you just gotta use a sample.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

ManoliIsFat posted:

Ya it really is loving tough to build that really clean yet heavy, punchy and just subby enough. Its a craft. Sometimes you just gotta use a sample.

Yeah kicks are the hardest thing to get right, you gotta sit there layering things and adjusting pitch/release. You really gotta be in the mood to deal with it.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

My music poo poo started working again so I made a little track to celebrate.

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary
I steal kicks from progressive house songs. It's not helpful if you want a really punchy electro-house kick, but for just a big quick kick to throw into a song they are cool.

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]
Oookay. Really helpful thread for someone starting out.
Just for clarification, the VSTi suggestion means playing with sounds like in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcMtxpUAKcQ correct?
And should I just be watching these general tutorial videos to get an idea of what all these knobs do, or should I get into some research about what each knob does to the sound?

I guess my primary goal is to learn how to make my own sounds, not just mash together a bunch of samples and end up with a corny sounding mix.

edit: I'm using Ableton live btw

Justin Timberwolf fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Sep 10, 2009

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

KaosPV posted:

The thing is that, when I repitch vocal samples, they sound like monster growlings, slow and unnatural, instead of deep and groovy like those ones.

You're trying to re-pitch them with an algorithm that just stretches. You need something that re-pitches but keeps the same speed right? Some DAWs can do this, some samplers can do this, I believe "the amazing slow downer" can do this. You can do this with quite well with Melodyne or Autotune.

They all have slightly different ways of going about it and slightly different overheads and artifacts that get introduced, so look around until you find what you're after.

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo

Lysis posted:

Oookay. Really helpful thread for someone starting out.
Just for clarification, the VSTi suggestion means playing with sounds like in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcMtxpUAKcQ correct?
And should I just be watching these general tutorial videos to get an idea of what all these knobs do, or should I get into some research about what each knob does to the sound?

I guess my primary goal is to learn how to make my own sounds, not just mash together a bunch of samples and end up with a corny sounding mix.

edit: I'm using Ableton live btw

That's not a VSTi, it's Ableton's sampler. You can read the manual to get an idea of how it works, and then watch tutorials in youtube to get new ideas.

There's an Ableton thread in this subforum, check it out.

quote:

You're trying to re-pitch them with an algorithm that just stretches. You need something that re-pitches but keeps the same speed right? Some DAWs can do this, some samplers can do this, I believe "the amazing slow downer" can do this. You can do this with quite well with Melodyne or Autotune.

They all have slightly different ways of going about it and slightly different overheads and artifacts that get introduced, so look around until you find what you're after.

Yeah, I'm thinking of buying Melodyne, maybe it's useful to get the effect I want, but I don't know anyone who owns it to ask him...

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Lysis posted:

Read http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2974992&pagenumber=1 - the word "Cutoff", for instance, means the same for several synths and samplers so what you learn there is directly applicable in other plugins.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

stun runner posted:

Maybe you should post a song that has a kick that you think is awesome. Not everyone has the same opinion!

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

KaosPV posted:

That's not a VSTi, it's Ableton's sampler. You can read the manual to get an idea of how it works, and then watch tutorials in youtube to get new ideas.

There's an Ableton thread in this subforum, check it out.

Ohh, okay I get it now, thanks a lot. :)
Don't know how I missed that Ableton thread.

Meatsplosion
Oct 25, 2006

+3 Meat Elemental

stun runner posted:

The Vengeance stuff is good, also check out Goldbaby's stuff which is amazing for those big drum machine kicks. Deadmau5's sample CD is actually pretty drat good as well.

Also, remember to let the sound system do the heavy lifting. A kick can sound kind of lackluster on your monitors and still bang like hell in the club.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
I'm going to bring these up again because I really think they're the poo poo. Listen to the little demo, these kicks are huge. They make the vengeance kicks sound weak.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
Here is a one minute video of our band Robo-Dali. I am the singer/guitarist, other keyboardist, and I play robotronic for the first 25 seconds. My chain is URS Strip pro, a tad bit of overdrive via guitar rig 3, one send sent to Aether reverb or wizoo verb. On guitar I use Amplitube Xgear, guitar rig3, Amplitube Fender, Aether reverb and another UrS strip set to tape emu at 30ips. I want nebulae 3.

The keyboardist uses a midi controller, roland jx305, 808 sampler, and a triton le with sample exp board.

The bassist is Ampeg svt and a peavey bass that looks like and weighs like warwick copy basically. Sounds nice.

Drummer has a pearl mlx set from the 80s I think with 10 cymbals/overkill. he is about to buy a drum pad after the show tomorrow with the proceeds.

I never posted any music so I better put my money where my mouth is.

Best sounding cellphone video every thanks nokia n95.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQlUJhxWkcU
Its one minute only. All I could get my friend to get. Thanks for any comments.

Rkelly fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 11, 2009

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Rkelly posted:

Here is a one minute video of our band Robo-Dali. I am the singer/guitarist, other keyboardist, and I play robotronic for the first 25 seconds. My chain is URS Strip pro, a tad bit of overdrive via guitar rig 3, one send sent to Aether reverb or wizoo verb. On guitar I use Amplitube Xgear, guitar rig3, Amplitube Fender, Aether reverb and another UrS strip set to tape emu at 30ips. I want nebulae 3.

The keyboardist uses a midi controller, roland jx305, 808 sampler, and a triton le with sample exp board.

The bassist is Ampeg svt and a peavey bass that looks like and weighs like warwick copy basically. Sounds nice.

Drummer has a pearl mlx set from the 80s I think with 10 cymbals/overkill. he is about to buy a drum pad after the show tomorrow with the proceeds.

I never posted any music so I better put my money where my mouth is.

Best sounding cellphone video every thanks nokia n95.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQlUJhxWkcU
Its one minute only. All I could get my friend to get. Thanks for any comments.

Got any recordings of this? I am intrigued.

goatmouth
Oct 24, 2005

:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:
Soon Mr. Moon will be shining bright so the best day ever will last all night.
so what's the cheapest way to get monitors? i'm broke but my computer speakers are poo poo and i don't even know what my sounds sound like on a real system!

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Got any recordings of this? I am intrigued.

We are going into the studio in Nashville sometime soon. I haven't got any sounds I like out of my pair of beta 57s and couple LDCs and a couple sennheiser cardoids.
We should be able to get a good sound. I have a huge 3 story house we use as a studio with 16 foot ceilings and some 40 foot long rooms for drums and some ambient mics on the far end.

I am ok with software and DAW's. I need real world experience with getting good sounds with an engineer helping me with feedback. Or really I would like to just watch a pro work for while.

By Christmas we should have a full length. So far that cell phone video is all we got. We are playing the basement and next big nashville soon so I will let you know if your interested and in the area.

Since this is about electronic music. The softsynths I use live are Oddity, Tone 2 Gladiator,
and sylenth. I just bought omnisphere a month or so ago. I have yet to integrate it. Omni has the best samples of minimoog basses and moog modular basses and many other vintage synths. I use pulse waves from a prophet 5 in omnisphere. Very satisfying.
Gladiator from Tone 2 is my favorite softsynth in the world.

Rkelly fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 11, 2009

Meatsplosion
Oct 25, 2006

+3 Meat Elemental

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

I'm going to bring these up again because I really think they're the poo poo. Listen to the little demo, these kicks are huge. They make the vengeance kicks sound weak.
Demos sound dope, gonna pick these up on payday fo sho. :)

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Meatsplosion posted:

Demos sound dope, gonna pick these up on payday fo sho. :)

I own electro essentials 1 and 2. I also got an effects samples cd from them that rules rear end.

They are really useful. Just don't slam them with compression. They have a fair amount on them already.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

I wouldn't say that the Vengeance kicks are weak, but the problem is that most of them sound like they've been sampled straight off existing records. A lot of them off the Clubsounds discs have reverb tails which cut off suddenly, or other percussion hits overlaid, which effectively make them useless.

If I were to recommend any sample CDs, I'd suggest the Thomas Penton sample collections. I've only got volumes 1&2, but I find them to be far more usable than Vengeance.

cuppy tea
Feb 6, 2009

by Cyrano4747

moron posted:

If I were to recommend any sample CDs, I'd suggest the Thomas Penton sample collections.

I agree with this 100%, I've always found the vengeance samples useless for making them my own with effects, not sure if this is because they are overcompressed or due to reverb but Thomas Penton samples are great, they're always my go-to samples.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

cuppy tea posted:

I agree with this 100%, I've always found the vengeance samples useless for making them my own with effects, not sure if this is because they are overcompressed or due to reverb but Thomas Penton samples are great, they're always my go-to samples.

I am gonna have to check these out. I agree with the overcompression and not quite subtle use of reverb on electro essentials. Not all sounds are like that though.

It's cheap rips of mp3's sometimes I think.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Calling all Logic users - I have some questions. Can someone tell me the keyboard shortcuts for the following commands....

Enable/Disable looping - so, i can select a loop region, then press a key to enable/disable it.
Un-solo/un-mute all.

I've looked around the documentation, and can't find anything like this in there. Is it even possible?!

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

moron posted:

Calling all Logic users - I have some questions. Can someone tell me the keyboard shortcuts for the following commands....

Enable/Disable looping - so, i can select a loop region, then press a key to enable/disable it.
Un-solo/un-mute all.

I've looked around the documentation, and can't find anything like this in there. Is it even possible?!

Select the section and hit L to turn off looping

Select the section and hit S to solo

JGTheSpy
Jul 31, 2002
Excuse me, but if I could have a moment of your time, I'd like to explain why you're not actually enjoying that game that you're enjoying. You see, I am in fact an expert. At games. I know, it's impressive.

moron posted:

Un-solo/un-mute all.

My book says "Command-click Track Mute button" for un-mute all so I'm guessing there's no key. 'S' and 'M' toggle solo and mute but I don't see anything to un-solo or un-mute everything automatically.

edit: Just tested. CMD+click on a muted track will unmute all and ALT-click on a soloed track will unsolo all. That's pretty stupid that the modifier is different for those two.

JGTheSpy fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 13, 2009

Tualek
May 28, 2006
Small Body
Ok, so it's fan-loving-tastic that someone started this thread. Just wish I had actually read it sooner. Anyways I'm gonna re-read the OP a couple of times and sort of compile a list of poo poo I still have questions about. Kudos to everyone who has contributed to this thread. Electronic music is proof that god loves me.

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
So Daniel Haaksman is doing a remix contest of his song Kid Conga. Typically I procrastinate on it till the day before it's due.

Here's my entry - http://tindeck.com/listen/nuct

I'm without monitors at the moment so I mixed everything the best I could. Any comments before I submit it?

Altoidss fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 16, 2009

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Altoidss posted:

So Daniel Haaksman is doing a remix contest of his song Kid Conga. Typically I procrastinate on it till the day before it's due.

Here's my entry - http://tindeck.com/listen/nuct

I'm without monitors at the moment so I mixed everything the best I could. Any comments before I submit it?

It sounds really good, everything nice, clean and where it should be. Its not that interesting however.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Edit, lemme get this straight. Re-wire is strictly to use another applications synths in your preferred daw, correct?

Nvm I got this bastard doing what I want

RizieN fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 14, 2009

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
Heres my kid conga remix. i think its bangin and am about to submit but if anyone has any criticisms let me know!

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
Just a fyi remix competitions generally suck. Don't ever get your hopes up. I've had a few that I've had a serious shot at, and some pretty god drat mediocre track wins. That said, gl to both of you, but yeah don't get your hopes up.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
it was fun remixing it and i have one more track to add to the live show so its all good

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
So I inherited some gear from my brother, I've been meaning to get into doing some of this stuff for ages, and now I finally can!

And some old vintage looking effects rack where no one knows where it came from. I don't really know what I'm going to do with it actually

Expect to hear some stuff soon, no matter how bad it is!

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

screaden posted:

And some old vintage looking effects rack where no one knows where it came from. I don't really know what I'm going to do with it actually

You totally have to use this. :)

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Handclaps... how do I make the perfect handclaps? I'm sick of using pre-made ones and I just want to make my own now. I want it very snappy and with a lot of high end. It's okay if they don't sound real. I've been trying to find resources on this online and I haven't been able to find much.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
Anyone got a link to the mibbit entrance to the ML irc room / does anyone still chill there?
Had that bookmarked ages ago but lost it somehow.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

awdio posted:

Handclaps... how do I make the perfect handclaps? I'm sick of using pre-made ones and I just want to make my own now. I want it very snappy and with a lot of high end. It's okay if they don't sound real. I've been trying to find resources on this online and I haven't been able to find much.

808 clap sounds exactly what you are describing. disco and funk has great claps to sample and they are in a ton of songs(carwash comes to mind)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

oredun posted:

808 clap sounds exactly what you are describing. disco and funk has great claps to sample and they are in a ton of songs(carwash comes to mind)

I'm not interested in sampling. I just want to make them.

• Locked thread