Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.

jennyinstereo posted:

Has anyone here successfully made shiny/glossy fondant? I'm trying to achieve this look and am having a hard time finding info on it. I've been told that mixing water and corn syrup together and using a spray bottle works. Anyone else have any tips? I'm looking for this kind of shine:

Can't see the picture (Waffleimages down?) but I've seen people steam their fondant cake after completion. It give everything a nice sheen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Okay, so here's sort of a weird question. Earlier in the summer, I made a cake for some friends which went over really well, and they want me to make it again. Problem is, I can't find the recipe that I used.

I was looking through my notebook and I've found a recipe scribbled somewhere which I'm pretty sure is the cake recipe, but I'm not certain. And it doesn't tell me at what temperature or for how long it should be baked.

Here's the recipe, does this look like something that would make a cake? Is there anything I'm missing? And how long should it go in the oven for?

The cake itself was delicious, so if this turns out to be the recipe I'm thinking of then I'll take pictures when I make it and post them here.

1 1/2 cups flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/4 cup milk
1 egg
3 tablespoons butter
vanilla extract.

The cake itself was a vanilla cake, so I'm feeling like this is the right one? How's the recipe look to people who are more experienced with cakes than I am?

jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

[rocking faces since the 80s]

Coca Koala posted:

vanilla cake

Looks like a cake recipe to me. I'd probably do 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. I'd check it at 25 and go from there adding time if needed. Check with toothpick/skewer/fork/whatever you use. Clean toothpick from the center of cake = done cake. Your recipe would probably fit into two 8 inch pans, maybe? I'd grease the bottom and sides.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
Speaking of recipes, can cupcake recipes just be turned into cake recipes and vice versa? Obviously adjusting the cooking time and such, but do I need to change the actual ingredients?

I don't have a particular recipe in mind, just thinking.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

DaisyDanger posted:

Speaking of recipes, can cupcake recipes just be turned into cake recipes and vice versa? Obviously adjusting the cooking time and such, but do I need to change the actual ingredients?

I don't have a particular recipe in mind, just thinking.

Yes. It's roughly 1 layer of cake = 12 cupcakes iirc.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

jennyinstereo posted:

Looks like a cake recipe to me. I'd probably do 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. I'd check it at 25 and go from there adding time if needed. Check with toothpick/skewer/fork/whatever you use. Clean toothpick from the center of cake = done cake. Your recipe would probably fit into two 8 inch pans, maybe? I'd grease the bottom and sides.

Awesome, that's exactly what I wanted to hear! I'll mix this up, take pictures, and report back by the weekend!

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.
My DM had her birthday on Saturday:

I really want to try and do another cake like this when I have more time (As you can see, it was a bit of a rushed job). Next time I think I'd try fondant instead of swiss buttercream - I'm a stickler for clean, smooth lines.

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.
You must tell me how you got this shape!!! ^^^^^^ My spherical cake adventures have been not so rewarding.

jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

I've been making cakes every weekend as practice for my sister's baby shower. At the beginning of my adventure, I couldn't even frost a cake properly. It's been 2 months now and I just made this on Saturday:

Before:

After:

When I make my sister's cake, I won't be using diamonds. I might to polka dots or stars or maybe even switch the blue to the top and green to the bottom and do white clouds on the blue, grass and flowers on the green and maybe stick a smiley sun on top. I used marshmallow fondant and I swear it tasted amazing. I was very very impressed. I've made marshmallow fondant before but this time it just tasted so good for some reason.

jennyinstereo fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 24, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Crosspostin' from the gaycke thread:

I was probated and bored so I made a rainbow cake. Also made marshmallow fondant for the first time.

jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

Demagogue posted:

Crosspostin' from the gaycke thread:

I was probated and bored so I made a rainbow cake. Also made marshmallow fondant for the first time.

Amazing! I love the blue. So vibrant. Isn't marshmallow fondant great? Easy as poo poo to make and tastes good. I like your little pink fondant balls.

anitsirK
May 19, 2005

I made this cake for my cousin's wedding:

Click here for the full 604x453 image.

Click here for the full 453x604 image.

Those were basically the colours the bridesmaids were wearing -- hot pink, turquoise, lime green and tangerine.

Homemade fondant -- using Toba Garrett's fondant recipe from "The Well Decorated Cake". I find it just as easy to make as Marshmallow Fondant, and it seems slightly less overwhelmingly sweet/marshmallowy. I find it a little easier to work with, too. Half the tiers were filled with banana mousse, the other half with raspberry mousse. Under the fondant on each of those was a layer of milk chocolate ganache or white chocolate ganache, respectively.

I'm thinking I should have done the rainbow cake thing with it, too. :)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

jennyinstereo posted:

Amazing! I love the blue. So vibrant. Isn't marshmallow fondant great? Easy as poo poo to make and tastes good. I like your little pink fondant balls.

My pink balls were actually piped. I suck at piping though, which may explain why they look not piped.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

When I moved here (Las Vegas) no one told me it was high altitude, but my mom did tell me to bake her a cake!

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

No inner shots cause the cakes loving fell a little because I did nothing to account for the high altitude. :argh: :emo:

Coconut cake made with coconut milk, slightly tart and creamy filling, coconut italian buttercream. Obviously all home made.

PIPED THAT MOTHERFUCKER WITH A ZIPLOC BAG! :hellyeah:

tokidoki
Feb 23, 2006

Damn bunnies!

Asymmetry posted:

When I moved here (Las Vegas) no one told me it was high altitude, but my mom did tell me to bake her a cake!

No inner shots cause the cakes loving fell a little because I did nothing to account for the high altitude. :argh: :emo:

Coconut cake made with coconut milk, slightly tart and creamy filling, coconut italian buttercream. Obviously all home made.

Vegas is high altitude? Where do you live, Mt. Charleston? I've lived here since '93 and never had to make any adjustments in my baking.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Pooptron2003 posted:

You must tell me how you got this shape!!! ^^^^^^ My spherical cake adventures have been not so rewarding.

The bottom half of the dodecahedron is really styrofoam. :ssh: I found this was the only way I could do it without everything falling appart (it's a little trick I learned from watching way too many Ace of Cakes). First carve the styrofoam, then carve the cake/buttercream on top. I stuck the layered cake in the fridge first so the frosting wouldn't squish out when I cut it.

This would work well which spheres for sure - I wouldn't recommend doing a dodecahedron. If I didn't have a engineer in the house (who enjoys doing math), I wouldn't have even attempted it. We used this as a guide, in case anyone is interested: http://everything2.com/title/how+to+carve+a+dodecahedron+out+of+a+cube

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
I signed up for Wilton Course 1 today and my class starts Wednesday. I have no idea how to do poo poo with frosting, so I'll probably learn a lot from it. I am not looking forward to using those loving clown heads though. Those and poo poo like the doll dress cakes are hideous. I spent way more money than I originally planned, but at least now I have some stuff I can use at home, too.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to take Wilton 2 and 3 for a while because I'm having a baby in October and don't feel like signing up for a class and being unable to finish it.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

tokidoki posted:

Vegas is high altitude? Where do you live, Mt. Charleston? I've lived here since '93 and never had to make any adjustments in my baking.

No, I live around 15/20minutes from UNLV/the strip. Supposedly that's at like 2k ft. Looking around on google, mostly people adjust their recipes at 3k+ ft. Have you ever had any issues with rise at all? I ask mainly because I never had the problem that I had with her cake before. Then again, it could have been equipment or error as well.

anitsirK
May 19, 2005

DaisyDanger posted:

I am not looking forward to using those loving clown heads though. Those and poo poo like the doll dress cakes are hideous.

Indeed! :) Fortunately, they're so tacky they can be entertaining. I've been considering finding some sort of food safe permanent ink to modify mine to be more horrifying.

Beaver O Lindy
Feb 3, 2004

bye bye bye bye bye bye bye
I'm a baking newbie and most of my efforts have been utter failures but lately, I've actually started to produce edible results! We brought in snacks for a colleague's birthday today, so last night I took a stab at making my first cheesecake. It's not quite decorated aside from the little candle someone put on it:

Mascarpone filling (with vanilla bean and almond extract) almond and anise crust and some extra cracker crumbs on top.

It looked pretty set at first, but it seemed to get melty after being out of the fridge for a while -- oops. But people even went for seconds, guys :unsmith:

Beaver O Lindy fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 2, 2012

TwiceIfYoureLucky
Apr 28, 2005

I'll try anything once

Pregnant belly cake! I didn't like the colors the lady chose, but it's still a cute design.

Edit: I should add I use modeling chocolate instead of fondant. Love that stuff!

TwiceIfYoureLucky fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 4, 2009

coaster
Apr 15, 2003
Yeah, the colors look very Jessica Rabbit... but the cake is so cute!

i miss new wave
Aug 28, 2009

Caminare entre las piedras hasta que pase el temblor.
While not very exciting, a cheesecake that I made for my sister-in-law a month or so ago. Earlier in the year she hinted at wanting some sort of coffee-type cheesecake instead of a regular old cake.

So, I made her a cafe au lait cheesecake with caramel sauce, and a chocolate cookie base. It was pretty rich, but very popular!

Pic isn't the best but the were in a hurry to cut it.

Teagan
Sep 20, 2002

Out here, everything hurts.

This is a four layer semi-rainbow cake. Orange/Yellow, then orange, then yellow. I used a generic buttercream icing with wilton colours and reese's pieces for decor. The horrible yellow trim was from a can... never again. I wanted a fast cake, so it was all from boxes and mixes.

I am going for hilarity so I like how it turned out looking like a cake for a four year old.

This is the first time I have done tiers, and cut them by hand... kinda wonky, I know. But it's just trippy looking enough to be goony, and I am not a cake-baker at all, so go easy :) and enjoy!

p.s. I overturned our retro punch bowl as a cake shield for the drive up tomorrow. :)

secondyear
Dec 16, 2003
I am still playing around with decorating and different recipes. I am obsessed with my mini-cupcake pan. Well, not just cupcakes. I made mini chocolate cream pies with it too. I made this one for July 4th:

and this one for fathers day (I suck at writing and I had some weeping issues with the strawberry filling:

This last one was for my husband's birthday. I forgot to take a picture of it before we all dove in. I made a strawberry mousse to go in the middle of the cake, but it was so tasty that I frosted the whole cake in it. It may have been a pink cake, but it was delicious.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Been a little cupcake crazy lately:

Tiramisu - So. Much. Kahlua.

Yeti (Marshmallow and Coconut) - inspired by those little peach penguins.

Man, I don't know about you guys, but I can't wait for Halloween Baking Season to start. :drac:

Tomkat
Jul 23, 2007

Tom Cruise <3 Katie Holmes.
Katie Holmes <3 Tom Cruise.
:yaycloud:

Asymmetry posted:

Wow that looks totally jawesome. Care to share the recipe?

Lixer
Dec 3, 2005

What does Depeche Mode mean? I like kinky sex with a scoop of ice cream

PezMaster posted:

Been a little cupcake crazy lately:

Tiramisu - So. Much. Kahlua.

Ohhh! Do you have the recipe for this?

Apologies if I've posted this before, but I couldn't find it ITT.

An acquaintance asked me to cater a Hawaiian themed wedding for 80 and since this is a cake thread... My first wedding cake! It's coconut with a lime/cream cheese filling and standard 7-minute whipped frosting.

grumples
May 29, 2004
naughtyness on legs
Yum, yum, yum.
Got the recipe? :)

i miss new wave posted:

While not very exciting, a cheesecake that I made for my sister-in-law a month or so ago. Earlier in the year she hinted at wanting some sort of coffee-type cheesecake instead of a regular old cake.

So, I made her a cafe au lait cheesecake with caramel sauce, and a chocolate cookie base. It was pretty rich, but very popular!

Pic isn't the best but the were in a hurry to cut it.

i miss new wave
Aug 28, 2009

Caminare entre las piedras hasta que pase el temblor.

grumples posted:

Yum, yum, yum.
Got the recipe? :)

Indeed I do!
For the Crust...
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, melted
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

(I subbed the graham crackers for some simple chocolate cookies of similar consistency.)

For the Cheesecake:
3 sticks of cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon vanilla extract (or you can use vanilla bean innards - one bean)

Caramel Sauce:
1/3 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 cup heavy cream
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon mocha caramel liqueur
1/4 cup unsalted butter, cubed

Directions:
1. In heavy saucepan over moderately high heat, combine sugar with the water and bring it to boil. Continue cooking, swirling pan occasionally until light golden brown (about 5 minutes). Be sure not to stir the sugar.

2. Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in cream and salt. Return the saucepan to the heat and bring it back to a boil. Remove saucepan from the heat and add the liqueur; stir to combine. Let sauce cool a bit before adding the butter cubes. Stir to melt butter into the sauce. Keep warm.

Directions for Cheesecake:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch springform pan. Boil a large pot of water for the water bath.
2. Mix together the crust ingredients and press into your preferred pan. You can press the crust just into the bottom, or up the sides of the pan too. Set crust aside.
3. Combine cream cheese and sugar in the bowl of a stand-mixer (or in a large bowl if using a hand-mixer) and cream together until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, fully incorporating each before adding the next. Make sure to scrape down the bowl in between each egg.
4. Take 1/4 cup of the heavy cream and heat it in the microwave for a short amount of time until very hot. Add instant espresso; stir to dissolve. Add this to the remainder of cream. Add the cream, vanilla, and lemon juice to the cream cheese mixture and blend until smooth.
5. Pour batter into prepared crust and tap the pan on the counter a few times to bring all air bubbles to the surface. Place pan into a larger pan and pour boiling water into the larger pan until halfway up the side of the cheesecake pan. If cheesecake pan is not airtight, cover bottom securely with foil before adding water.
6. Bake 45 to 55 minutes, until it is almost done (has hold, but still has jiggle in the center). You don't want it to be completely firm at this stage. Close the oven door, turn the heat off, and let rest in the cooling oven for one hour. This lets the cake finish cooking and cool down gently enough so that it won't crack on the top. After one hour, remove cheesecake from oven and lift carefully out of water bath. Let it finish cooling on the counter, and then cover and put in the fridge to chill. Once fully chilled, top with the caramel sauce.

Sorry for the wall of text!

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

/\/\ Awesome! I totally wanted to try this too.

Here's the Tiramisu cupcakes that someone asked for:

1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs (separated)
1/4 cup strong coffee (or a shot of espresso)
1 TBsp Kahlua
3/4 cup sugar
pinch of salt (to stiffen egg whites)
extra kahlua (yessssss)

- Oven to 350F

- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt, then set aside

- Beat the egg yolks with coffee and Kahlua until really thick and creamy. Slowly at 1/2 cup of the sugar, beating continually. Set aside.

- Beat the egg whites with salt until they start to form moist peaks and gradually beat in the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar. Continue beating until the eggs whites are stiff but not dry. Stir 3 tablespoons of the whites into the yolk mixture. Slowly fold dry ingredients into mixture then, when everything has been absorbed, gently fold in the remaining whites.

- Spoon the batter into cupcake tins - I baked for about 20, but they came out a little dry, so I'd start testing at 15. Just take them out of the oven when your tester comes out clean

Here's the Mascarpone Cream to go on top of it:

2 egg yolks
3 tsp sugar
1 TBsp Kahlua
1 cup mascarpone
More Kahlua
Grated dark or semi-sweet chocolate (to make it look pretty)

- Beat egg yolks with sugar until they are light and fluffy. Beat in Kahlua. Slowly add mascarpone, beating continually.

- Before adding cream to the cupcake, I really drizzled the cooled cupcakes with a lot of kahlua. Mmmmm. Then pile on the cream, drizzle with more kahlua, and sprinkle the chocolate

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.
I have a color related dilemma for all of you cake enthusiasts:

How in the HELL do I get my butter cream BLACK, I mean, dark, REAL black? I swear yesterday I used half a bottle of my black americolor and it was still light gray. Any ideas?

I love the choices americolor offers, but I swear I use up those little bottles in days.

jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

Pooptron2003 posted:

How in the HELL do I get my butter cream BLACK, I mean, dark, REAL black? I swear yesterday I used half a bottle of my black americolor and it was still light gray. Any ideas?

I love the choices americolor offers, but I swear I use up those little bottles in days.

You can try adding cocoa to your icing before colouring it black. It gives you a darker base colour to start with. Or, if you don't want to use chocolate frosting, you can use black gel to make your frosting gray, then add black food colour powder to it to make it nice and black.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Pooptron2003 posted:

I've had the same problem, turning buttercream red. You're probably making a whole hell of a lot - I think mine was a 6 egg swiss buttercream and I could only turn in pink, even with both gel and powder colour. My advice is to colour a small bit for the top of cake, or go with Jennyinstereo's idea (if you don't mind chocolate frosting yum).

If I need bright vibrant cake, I always have to use fondant for fear of using up all my lovely gel colours.

grumples
May 29, 2004
naughtyness on legs
Thanks for that.
Do you happen to know how much a stick of cream cheese weighs, or how much you used in total? We normally buy 250gram blocks in Australia. 3 of those would be a HEAP of cream cheese, so I assume this is something strange, like your little sticks of butter!!

i miss new wave posted:

For the Cheesecake:
3 sticks of cream cheese, room temperature

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

grumples posted:

Thanks for that.
Do you happen to know how much a stick of cream cheese weighs, or how much you used in total? We normally buy 250gram blocks in Australia. 3 of those would be a HEAP of cream cheese, so I assume this is something strange, like your little sticks of butter!!

They're usually 8oz blocks in the U.S. Google tells me that's about 227 grams. Cheesecake DOES take a heap of cream cheese; the recipe I often use takes 40 oz (=5 sticks of cream cheese).

Tulip Candy
Jan 23, 2007

I love tuna fish and field mouse pudding.
Ever since I stopped working at a bakery, I have actually had time to bake things for myself. Since I moved back home, I've made a giant chocolate sheet cake, a condensed milk cake, coconut cream flan (which is not a cake) and an upside down pear and blueberry cake, which was my favorite one so far:

I love cake, guys.

Bonus flan:

Click here for the full 525x700 image.

fake edit: SO MUCH CARAMEL AAAHHH

Segway Butt
Sep 13, 2009
These cakes are loving amazing. I've never tried making a decorated cake, but I guess I should pick up some literature on it or whatever. Can anybody recommend some?

Timo
Jul 12, 2001

Suit up!
So what's the deal with fondant? It seems like some people peel it off before eating the cake, but others leave it on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Timo posted:

So what's the deal with fondant? It seems like some people peel it off before eating the cake, but others leave it on?

I've heard that people don't like to (or can't) eat commercial fondant. Have no idea why - I've never tried it myself. But the homemade marshmallow fondant is fine to eat (and it's surprisingly not too sweet, especially if you add some lemon too it).

Nullbyte -- I don't have any decorating books, myself. I like the ol' trial and error system. I know that Confetti Cakes is a pretty neat read. If you do want to start with something small, I'd start with cupcakes -- specifically Hello, Cupcake!. It's easy and will impress your friends :)

• Locked thread