Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

That is loving amazing news, here's hoping to a American tour and a new album.

Actually, this whole Dimmu drama has got me wanting to listen to Borknagar's The Archaic Course and god drat that album is loving jaw-dropping. Vortex and their drummer "Grim" just absolutely kill on that record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Poor Grim.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Free track from Krallice's new album: http://www.profoundlorerecords.com/mp3/d_bthrough.mp3

Releases Nov 10.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
Oooooh. Sounding good. Profound Lore is LITERALLY my favourite label by a ridiculous margin.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
More Krallice; excellent. Their debut was one of my favourite records of last year, November can't come soon enough.

delusionsofgrandeur
Aug 18, 2009
Actually it is a spiked mace, it's loving heavy to carry around, but hey, never know when you'll need to slay and orc.

And on topic: i've not listened to any black metal ever before, where should I start?

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

delusionsofgrandure posted:

Actually it is a spiked mace, it's loving heavy to carry around, but hey, never know when you'll need to slay and orc.

And on topic: i've not listened to any black metal ever before, where should I start?

What kind of music do enjoy listening to? There are lots of different subgenres within black metal.

delusionsofgrandeur
Aug 18, 2009
I don't really have any specific genre I listen to really, everything from death metal right through to jazz...

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

i've not listened to any black metal ever before, where should I start?

The genre has grown a lot and the only things that typically glue it together are tremolo picking and dudes shrieking like banshees. You're going to have to do a bit of exploring to find what you like and don't like. Skimming through this thread and checking out bands' Myspaces will help.

I'm probably not the best person to be recommending BM, but here's a few bands that I think are rad:

Draugnim - Moonpath
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCemItfvFpE

Drudkh - Sunweheel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7PLhhb0Mls

Grendel - Of Blood and Glory
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSmrg4RgZuE

Kampfar - Ravenheart
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2ba6Vs-mUI

Windir - Arntor, Ein Windir
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DtHl6F0yCE

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

e: doublepost

delusionsofgrandeur
Aug 18, 2009
I'm really enjoying the Grendel track, so I reckon i'll start with an album of theirs and see how my taste progresses from there..

e: unless anyone posts any "must-haves" for the genre

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

I don't know if I'd necessarily call all of them "essential," here are some suggestions for songs from the Norwegian bands that emerged in the 90's.

Emperor - I Am the Black Wizards
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ks29jnKD4o
Ulver - Ind I Fjeldkamrene
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2Qrz1dH6jc
Darkthrone -I En Hall Med Flesk og Mjød
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yecA0d4bwEM
Burzum - Jesus' Tod
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwSlAm0BEUk
Mayhem - Freezing Moon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB4wSqJVcsA
Gorgoroth - Bergtrollets Hevn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMMA2_qVJtM
Satyricon - Mother North
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbQEIkeZsh4
Immortal - Sons of Northern Darkness
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMeiUzr0L14

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

The big Norwegian bands were already posted (with the exception of Borknagar's first album) so here's some more exotic recommendations:

Grand Belial's Key - all three full lengths plus the Weltenfeind split
Inquisition - Invoking the Majestic Throne of Satan & Magnificent Glorification of Lucifer
Nazxul - Black Seed & Iconoclast
Deathspell Omega - Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice
Bathory - everything up to and including Twilight of the Gods
Tormentor - Anno Domini
Von - Satanic Blood Angel
Blasphemy - Gods of War & Fallen Angel of Doom
Early Holocausto & Sarcofago

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Meh, here's some easy examples of stuff other people aren't likely to recommend. You'll hear all about burzum, bathory, darkthrone, ildjarn, blasphemy, beherit, sarcofago etc on any reputable metal website/list anyway.

Svartsyn - Skinning the Lambs
Svartsyn, from Sweden, have been around since the early 90s, and have made a number of albums now, each progressing away from their original sound, and becoming more like fellow swedes Arckanum. This a song from the split between the two bands and shows mature, yet savage development.

Kvist - Min Lekam er Meg Blott en Byrd
After Emperor released their early material, plenty of bands were influenced by their material, some made careers out of apeing it. Setherial and Kvist improved upon it. This song, and the entire album features chaotic riff paterns, dissonant chords, and and a hectic, but ultimately melancholic atmosphere. Several bands have lifted riffs from this particular song, and the album, wholesale.

Inquisition - Hail the King of All Heathens
This song summarises this band's output - riff driven occult black metal. Almost religious in the atmosphere it creates (as anyone who's seen this band live will attest), repetitive, yet not boring guitar work drives the croaking vocals. Utterly unique, and completely essential.

Mystifier - Give the devil his due
Ignore the dorky vocals at the beginning, this is true black metal from the depths of south america, but unlike other counterparts has progressed away from the savage thrash/black style so prevalent (and obviously, due to the influence of Von, Vulcano and Sarcofago).

Mortuary Drape - Astral Bewitchment
Sound quality on this one is loving terrible, but hey, it's not about that. Atmosphere driven black metal that is both doomy but thrash influenced. Mortuary Drape are an absolutely ancient band and one of the fathers of the genre. But vastly underappreciated.

Xibalba - Furor Antiquus
Legendary Mexican band, who are as well known for their split with Azhia as they are for their habit of randomly inserting king crimson riffs into demos. And for having poop in their album name.

Xantotol - Devilish
Polish cult, never released a full length, exuding the airs of doom, strong bass presence. Reminiscent of Barathrum at their finest, or Samael.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

I'm really enjoying the Grendel track, so I reckon i'll start with an album of theirs and see how my taste progresses from there..

If you dig the rock 'n roll of Grendel, you might like bands like Barathrum or bits of Bathory. You'll also enjoy Venom, who are revered in the genre as seminal. All these bands have firm roots in rock and have these plodding, repetitive structures. Incidentally, they don't deal with the furious tremolo picking common to much (if not most) black metal.

Also, Barathrum. Three bassists. Win.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

I don't really have any specific genre I listen to really, everything from death metal right through to jazz...

Check out Carpathian Forest, they've got a cool black 'n roll type thing going on. If you like punk, try Gospel of the Horns.

Also can't suggest early Satyricon hard enough. Dark Medieval Times and Nemesis Divina are staples. Their later albums morphed into pretty good death metal, and are worth a listen if nothing else.

I'm a huge Gorgoroth fanboy, both new and old, but everyone here has heard my spiel a million times. The only thing I'll say now is pick up Antichrist and Pentagram.

Like aliencowboy said, you should really just listen around until you find bands that you like. Pandora.com and last.fm are pretty good tools for that.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Like a dark night in autumn

Not Very Metal posted:

Check out Carpathian Forest, they've got a cool black 'n roll type thing going on.

I'm a huge Gorgoroth fanboy, both new and old, but everyone here has heard my spiel a million times. The only thing I'll say now is pick up Antichrist and Pentagram.

These. Also, seconding the Windir recommendation; except I'd suggest Soknardalr or Arntor instead of Arntor, Ein Windir. Cor Scorpii is another good one to check out, if it turns out you like Windir.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Sun of the Blind - Skullreader is full of excellent trippy atmospheric black metal that still manages to sound fantastically evil.

Thorns - Thorns sounds sort of like the later Emperor output, which is good. Fairly experimental.

delusionsofgrandeur
Aug 18, 2009

Kaiho posted:

Also, Barathrum. Three bassists. Win.

Bigly so.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Not Very Metal posted:

Like aliencowboy said, you should really just listen around until you find bands that you like. Pandora.com and last.fm are pretty good tools for that.

Last.fm is an excellent tool for discovering new music, and they have a lot of great BM, both obscure or not. You can put in either a band name or a tag, like 'black metal', 'Norwegian black metal', and the like, and have hours of new music to listen to. I find them much better than Pandora when it comes to obscure sounds.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
Well, there you go! :black101:

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

HELLO, YES, THIS IS BUBBLE BATHORY. LOOKS LIKE WE'VE GOT A BADASS OVER HERE WHO CAN'T STOP POSTING ABOUT HOW MUCH HE LOVES MEMES.

THAT'S THE JOKE.
Looking for recommendations. I have Bathory's stuff, and I really like the early poo poo as well as the later, punkier stuff. Not huge on the viking metal with all the "ohh's" and "ahh's" but I can appreciate it for what it is. I guess I'll let that lead to Ulver, I have most of their stuff and I like the "Trilogie," especially Nattens Madrigal. In fact that's becoming one of my favorite albums. I'm into a few Immortal albums, I like Burzum's metal stuff. Gorgoroth has been a favorite of mine. As for newer, American stuff, I'm tending to gravitate towards what I'd describe as really "bleak" or "depressive" stuff like Xasthur or Leviathan. I absolutely love Sunn o))), who I got into via Mayhem, with Attila Csihar and everything.
Sorry if this is kinda all over the place. I guess what I am looking for is howling, hollow sounding vocals, more personal themes, eccentricity; that whole deal.
Not huge on death metal, which is why I'm here in this thread, but I do like Nile a lot, being a huge Egypt nerd and also because I feel their whole atmosphere lends itself to a sort of "blackness."

Bubble Bathory fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 11, 2009

Razor
May 9, 2004

Like a dark night in autumn

Bubble Bathory posted:

Not huge on death metal, which is why I'm here in this thread, but I do like Nile a lot, being a huge Egypt nerd and also because I feel their whole atmosphere lends itself to a sort of "blackness."

I'm not one for much death metal either--I like my metal as black as it gets--but you might want to check out Lykathea Aflame; they sound right up your alley. As far as depressive poo poo goes, Shining is one of the better bands around. Den Saakaldte isn't bad either, and has members from Shining and Mayhem.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

Bubble Bathory posted:

Looking for recommendations. I have Bathory's stuff, and I really like the early poo poo as well as the later, punkier stuff. Not huge on the viking metal with all the "ohh's" and "ahh's" but I can appreciate it for what it is. I guess I'll let that lead to Ulver, I have most of their stuff and I like the "Trilogie," especially Nattens Madrigal. In fact that's becoming one of my favorite albums. I'm into a few Immortal albums, I like Burzum's metal stuff. Gorgoroth has been a favorite of mine. As for newer, American stuff, I'm tending to gravitate towards what I'd describe as really "bleak" or "depressive" stuff like Xasthur or Leviathan. I absolutely love Sunn o))), who I got into via Mayhem, with Attila Csihar and everything.
Sorry if this is kinda all over the place. I guess what I am looking for is howling, hollow sounding vocals, more personal themes, eccentricity; that whole deal.

You want Wrath of The Weak - Alogon

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

HELLO, YES, THIS IS BUBBLE BATHORY. LOOKS LIKE WE'VE GOT A BADASS OVER HERE WHO CAN'T STOP POSTING ABOUT HOW MUCH HE LOVES MEMES.

THAT'S THE JOKE.
oh poo poo this is kicking my rear end. I like that Phillip Glass seems to be one of the dudes influences. Nice. But I don't have any money so I'm stuck with what I can download and I can't find that.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Gr31lly posted:

Xibalba - Furor Antiquus
Legendary Mexican band, who are as well known for their split with Azhia as they are for their habit of randomly inserting king crimson riffs into demos. And for having poop in their album name.

Out of cursiosity, does anyone know what that album's name, Ah Dzam Poop Ek, means, if anything? Maybe I'm dumb but I can't find any info other than "lol poop."

For that matter, does anyone know of any other Mayan/Aztec themed black metal? You'd think there'd be a lot more of it considering that this is a people famous for human sacrifice and brutal conquest.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

Bubble Bathory posted:

oh poo poo this is kicking my rear end. I like that Phillip Glass seems to be one of the dudes influences. Nice. But I don't have any money so I'm stuck with what I can download and I can't find that.

protip: http://dontlinktofilesyoufuckingmoron.com/

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
What's a band that sounds most like Lord Belial? I loving love the drums on the cd The Sea of Belial.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Bubble Bathory posted:

Wigrid? The Burzum-est one man band I've found that isn't actually Burzum. And without the church burnings, murder or questionable ideology, it's pretty much all just about alienation and depression and poo poo like that.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
So, the new Marduk album, Wormwood has leaked. My preliminary review would cast it in with the top black metal releases of the year. (Absu, Deströyer 666 and Glorior Belli)

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

So, the new Marduk album, Wormwood has leaked. My preliminary review would cast it in with the top black metal releases of the year. (Absu, Deströyer 666 and Glorior Belli)

Completely forgot about this, good looking out.

e: and yeah, it's pretty loving good.

Not Very Metal fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 14, 2009

72o
Dec 14, 2007

Back on Arcturis for a bit - I absolutely loved their first three albums, but hated what they became without Garm at the front. The songs and live performances were boring, lifeless imitations of their previous efforts. I'm not terribly excited about the reunion, they should just bring Garm back for vocal duties and make Vortex do whatever else.

e: I guess I should read up on stuff before talking, seems that Garm has already expressed interest in the reunion.
ee: can't believe I spelled it "Arcturis".

72o fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 15, 2009

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight

The samples on "Chorus Of Cracking Necks" made me laugh.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Secks posted:

The samples on "Chorus Of Cracking Necks" made me laugh.

I like the alien televangelist in Whorecrown

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

THAT'S THE JOKE.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

For that matter, does anyone know of any other Mayan/Aztec themed black metal? You'd think there'd be a lot more of it considering that this is a people famous for human sacrifice and brutal conquest.
According to a comment on the video, "Mictlantecuhtli or Yaotl Mictlan" seem to be worth checking out.
Liking what I'm hearing from these Mexican dudes...

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

I thought their last album was pretty cool. I'll check this out.

More excited about seeing Children of Bodom and Skeletonwitch this week. It's going to kick rear end.

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

I am, how you say, Russian Guyovich
Well I've hit this thread up (and SA, for that matter) for the first time since the beginning of February and looks like I haven't missed poo poo in terms of good releases this year. Haven't heard anything worthwhile outside of the new BAN and Arckanum.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
New Dark Funeral out this November, and Darkthrone go back to the studio soon to finish their new release.

Dark funeral completely slipped my mind until I read about that album this morning. I'm enjoying re-catching up on their stuff.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
There's a new Countess album coming this year and I'm going to assume that it will be the best black metal album released in the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Not Very Metal posted:

New Dark Funeral out this November, and Darkthrone go back to the studio soon to finish their new release.

Dark funeral completely slipped my mind until I read about that album this morning. I'm enjoying re-catching up on their stuff.

Dark Funeral's new album slipped my mind too. Not too excited about Darkthrone though. I'm not a fan of their new(ish) sound. I miss their old days of Transilvanian Hunger.