Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Phat_Albert posted:

Am I screwed because I'm not in touch with "the scene" here? Here being Milwaukee.

As was stated earlier in the thread, DJing is all about the hustle. You're not going to get anywhere if no one knows who you are as a person, much less a DJ

First order of business is to start going to venues/parties that you'd like to eventually play at. Get to know the people involved: the promoters, the DJs, the staff at the venue (esp bartenders), and the "regulars" who you will be depending on to be in attendance when you play. Don't expect magic to happen overnight, it might just be a matter of getting lucky (the regular DJ needs someone to cover one night, an opportunity for outside crews to do a night and see how it goes, etc)

Also, echoing another comment on the last page about getting a crew together. Trying to book shows especially is tough as a solo person. It's much easier to pool resources and brand a night by crew rather than by individual DJ. As you start going out and meeting people, there's a chance you will find like-minded folks (musically, personality-wise, etc) that you might want to team up with.

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 11, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xesis
Jul 11, 2002

Everything about going out and meeting the locals is completely true. You don't really have to 'hustle' but if you're not a headliner then it's about who you know, and that's it. Don't be afraid to get to know the DJs and promoters throwing parties around town, it's your only ticket to getting booked.

It's definitely a commitment as usually you want to support other locals, network when possible and so forth but over time but it will pay back in folds. Fact is spending a few nights hanging out and getting to know the locals at the bar will count FAR more than a mix ever will. There are plenty of locals that play every week and have never put out a mix but they can draw crowds since they know so many people.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
goon dreams shattered all over. beatmixing AND social skills aaaaaaaaaaaaaa gently caress that!

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

I think thinking about it purely as "hustling" is kinda unappealing. Actually try and make some friends, hang with people you'd like to hang with, not cuz they'll give you something. It's gotta be organic. I know some kids who just played the club game, and it really didn't seem to be that great in the long run.

But I never really played any big nights or anything, and haven't played a party in a long time so what do I know?

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Fair point. I guess I should clarify that I mean hustle only in the sense that there is a bit of an ulterior motive to going out to events. If you are doing it and not having fun, what's the point?

I definitely enjoy the time I spend going out and the people I hang out with at clubs, parties, etc

One other tip I will throw out is that if you can find a way to help other people out with their events, whether it be flyering, helping spread the word, being willing to make an airport/hotel run, or whatever, there is a higher likelyhood you could be repaid in kind with a gig

Again, if anything you are doing to try and get booked is making you unhappy, you might need to reevaluate why you are in the game in the first place. My 2 cents

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

I dunno, clubs are cool and all but I'd rather concentrate on burningman, BM-related events, psytrance parties, outdoor renegades, etc... clubs feel too competitive and capitalist.

Counterlogic
Mar 31, 2006
A young pathfinder with too much on his mind.

Socket Ryanist posted:

I dunno, clubs are cool and all but I'd rather concentrate on burningman, BM-related events, psytrance parties, outdoor renegades, etc... clubs feel too competitive and capitalist.

I would get used to this. BM etc. are constricted by capitalism too. I'm basically a closet communist more or less but I find if you play your cards right and don't let people gently caress you over the club side of things in this sense or whatever are more rewarding and the people less shady. Just my experience (two cents? lol) thus far though.

Pres
Dec 20, 2005

ever since I could remember I been poppin' mah collar
1st ever mix so I'd like some constructive critisim please. I know the transistion between two songs are really off beat and some of them are pretty off.

Electro/House Indie remixes
http://www.mediafire.com/?z0llntrrnjm

Length:30 Mins
Tracklisting:
La Roux - Bullet Proof (Fred Faulke Remix)
Daft Punk - Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger (Deadmau5 Remix)
Justice Vs SMD - We are your friends (Kid Legit Remix)
Yeah Yeah Yeah's - Heads will roll (FoulHouse Remix)
The Gossip - Heavy Cross (Fred Faulke Remix)
Bloc Party - One More Chance (Alex Metric Remix)
The Lonely Island - I'm on a Boat (Kue's Tugboat Remix)

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Pres posted:

Daft Punk - Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger (Deadmau5 Remix)
God drat am I sick of this track, seriously. I liked the original so this edit makes me puke and the fact that I hear this way more often at parties makes me angry. It's not THAT good and it's so ridiculously overplayed just about anywhere.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
checklist for not downloading a mix:
[X] daft punk
[X] justice
(etc)

edit: who was the guy that make a 'mix' that was an exactly replica of the top 10 songs at the time? i dont think he ever posted again

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 17, 2009

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

jonmitz posted:

especailly when it's prefaced with: I know the mixing is poo poo . . . . (as is the track selection)

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

congrats on figuring out how to use a machine with 4 buttons

jonmitz posted:

[X] daft punk
[X] justice
(etc)

edit: who was the guy that make a 'mix' that was an exactly replica of the top 10 songs at the time? i dont think he ever posted again

so wait.....you say "gently caress that kid"because he's trying poo poo out for the first time, and maybe just trying to find his sea legs when it comes to mixing, but you're a bronzed god for putting out a 5 hour mix of big room trance yawners?

livin' the dream jonmitz. livin' the dream.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

Threatis posted:

so wait.....you say "gently caress that kid"because he's trying poo poo out for the first time, and maybe just trying to find his sea legs when it comes to mixing, but you're a bronzed god for putting out a 5 hour mix of big room trance yawners?

livin' the dream jonmitz. livin' the dream.

You could have used that space for constructive criticism on Pres' mix instead of continuing something I thought we had moved on from. Just sayin.

Pres, some of the responses in here might seem somewhat harsh, but don't take it personally. People, especially us DJ's tend to have pretty strong opinions about songs and music in general, and they tend to ventilate them pretty directly. Not defending anyone in here, but it's my experience with DJ-related forums/threads.
The songs you use in your mix have been played over and over again and then some more, so people (including myself) have grown to hate them.

I will try and give your mix a listen sometime soon though and focus commenting on the transitions.

Rivfader fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 17, 2009

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Jonmitz you're a cool guy but this thread is way more for beginner DJs to post their trainwrecking attempts than for experienced DJs to dickwave.

PS: I finally made a stupid house mix and STILL no one downloaded it :mad:

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Pres posted:

The Lonely Island - I'm on a Boat (Kue's Tugboat Remix)

haven't heard this one but Kue always seems to have really fun edits.

Pres
Dec 20, 2005

Rivfader posted:

You could have used that space for constructive criticism on Pres' mix instead of continuing something I thought we had moved on from. Just sayin.

Pres, some of the responses in here might seem somewhat harsh, but don't take it personally. People, especially us DJ's tend to have pretty strong opinions about songs and music in general, and they tend to ventilate them pretty directly. Not defending anyone in here, but it's my experience with DJ-related forums/threads.
The songs you use in your mix have been played over and over again and then some more, so people (including myself) have grown to hate them.

I will try and give your mix a listen sometime soon though and focus commenting on the transitions.

No worries. To be honest the mix is poo poo. I re-listened to it earlier so i'm going back to the basics. After being one of those club DJ's who press play once the main track finished I'm finally bored of that and I'm now delving into something better. I'm still trying to find a niche and the students etc who i played to loved justice, daft punk etc so thats what i'll most probably be sticking too.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Pres posted:

1st ever mix so I'd like some constructive critisim please. I know the transistion between two songs are really off beat and some of them are pretty off.

Electro/House Indie remixes
http://www.mediafire.com/?z0llntrrnjm

Length:30 Mins
Tracklisting:
1 La Roux - Bullet Proof (Fred Faulke Remix)
2 Daft Punk - Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger (Deadmau5 Remix)
3 Justice Vs SMD - We are your friends (Kid Legit Remix)
4 Yeah Yeah Yeah's - Heads will roll (FoulHouse Remix)
5 The Gossip - Heavy Cross (Fred Faulke Remix)
6 Bloc Party - One More Chance (Alex Metric Remix)
7 The Lonely Island - I'm on a Boat (Kue's Tugboat Remix)

Track selection:
First thing I noticed was the track list which I already commented on. Fred Faulke is pretty cool so you did good on that. Typically when you release a short mix you don't want the same name to appear on your track list more than once, simply because many artists' sound doesn't differ from song to song. This is not a rule but a general guideline.

Technicals:
Beatmatching: acceptable, could definitely use some work but don't worry about it, it will come with time

Transition length: Very bad, you need to increase them

Levels: Awful/non existent. If you don't know what levels are let us know and we can tell you about them

Mood/harmony: See below. Most of the transitions were from songs that didn't really fit with each other

Flow: From a happy time fred falke to a dark deadmau5 remix to a justice noise vomitted song. In other words, not very good.

Transitions:
1-2: Very bad. Really short, and the songs don't go well together at all
2-3: Better than the first, but the sounds clash with each other
3-4: This transition actually wasn't bad, and if the beats were matched a little bit better and you played with the levels it would have been good
4-5: vocals and melodies crash in a sea of death and pain because the levels are so bad. i cant tell what is going on at all :(
5-6: Dropped the next track too early. Just a matter of timing it better and knowing when to use the crossfader
6-7: what was that, 4 seconds?

Track selection:
I really like the last song :3: I'm glad I downloaded this just to hear it. loving awesome "I'M ON A BOAT"
The other songs aren't really my thing, but I like the original "we are your friends" song, but dislike the justice remix

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Sep 18, 2009

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
New Techno set by Sjoewe and myself.

Rahmenfluss - Zerstört

Genre: Techno
Duration: 1u20min
Info/Size: 320 KB/s, 183 MB

Downloadlink: Click!

Tracklisting:

Andre Crom - Mdc1
Size - Koebel (Nihad Tule remix)
Alan Fitzpatrick - Science
Paul Ritch - Carrrrramba (Monkey Mix)
Simone Tavazzi - Sospension
Jerome Sydenham - Judgement
Alan Fitzpatrick - Bumblebee
Axel Karakasis - Piranha
A. Mochi - Black Out
Paul Kalkbrenner - Gebrünn Gebrünn (Alexander Kowalski Remix)
Len Faki - BX3
Richie Hawtin - Orange/Minus1
Heiko Laux - Re-Televised pt.2
Steve Parker - Crawling (Kyle Geiger remix)
Joey Beltram - Shaking Trees
Ortin Cam & Bas Mooy - White Pony
Side B - Hazakura (Alex Bau remix)

Comments & Feedback appreciated. Enjoy. :)

Pres
Dec 20, 2005

jonmitz posted:

constructive critisism

Thanks ever so much for going through the mix. I've bought an X session pro to help with my mixing because using the interface on traktor was way too limiting. I'm having a little trouble figuring out song mixes, should i be looking for keys or generally the tempo of the song?

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Haha "noise vomit" is the perfect descriptor for most of Justice's music (and people who rip Justice off).

Pres posted:

Thanks ever so much for going through the mix. I've bought an X session pro to help with my mixing because using the interface on traktor was way too limiting. I'm having a little trouble figuring out song mixes, should i be looking for keys or generally the tempo of the song?
You should mix songs which sound good together. This requires memorizing what the songs sound like and being able to hear the songs mixed together in your head before you actually mix them. This is the hard part of DJing.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Some people will tell you to key mix this, key mix that, key mixing is god's gift, etc etc etc. My personal opinion is to just know your music, know how you want to start a mix (slow/down tempo/whatever you want really. You can start out bangin'). Know how you want to end the mix, and then pick songs that will make your mix flow nicely. I've always just listened to what my ears tell me sounds well together, sometimes I fall back on the key if I'm not sure. You might completely hate trance and techno but if you're still a bit confused I suggest you head over to my website and download laminar flow 15

I would say that generally the tempo doesn't matter but it is also highly dependent on the genre. I never was much into the hipster/blog house/whatever they call it nowadays, so someone else will have to post about your genre in particular

JimmyJazz
May 22, 2007
50minutes downtempo/trip-hop

Ulrich Schnauss - Between Us and Them
Broken Spindles - Induction
Aphex Twin - Ageispolis
Mr. Scruff - Travelogue
Boards of Canada - spectrum
Groove Armada - Lazy Moon
Velours Perfect - Old Pirate
Joey Fehrenbach - Being Around You
Jon Kennedy - Never Wed an Old Man
Amon Tobin - Mighty Micro People
Robert Miles - Pour Te Parler
Thievery Corporation - The Foundation
Kettel - Michael Space Airlines
Teargas & Plateglass - The Seduction of Canned Laughter
Boom Bip - U R Here
Hystereo - Velocity
Weathertunes - Fragrant Flower
ISAN - Seven Mile Marker
Bonobo - Ketto

i usually mix electro so this is a new one for me. criticism appreciated

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
is trip hop what pretty lights is? I'm downloading that anyway since I've been getting into that kinda music lately

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I agree about making connections - I don't really know anyone here, but I managed to get a couple gigs by putting my info online, and from that have meet some other people. Only problem is that other people can be kind of unreliable in terms of getting replies concerning gigs or whatnot. I met someone after a gig (I have had two now!), got his email but haven't heard back from him yet (though he assured me he'd get "right back to me").

Anyway, here's my deepish/dubby/techy house mix for this month, not sure if anyone really listens to these (most of my listens come from the tmb forums), but if you do feel free to give feedback.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zqmzc8

Scott Jackson
September 2009
61 min

westpark - unit 45
karraskilla - expreso cali (pawas remix)
demetrio giannice - eleven
azuni - nightshifter
gurhan - green magic
li-polymer - cruising speed
evren ulusoy - love in spacesuit
soundspace - comunion
estroe - driven
ivan i + jason howell - once wounded
g-pal - life
adam jace - northern lights
florian meindl - here today gone tomorrow
ozgur can - soulsearching

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

actionjackson posted:

Anyway, here's my deepish/dubby/techy house mix for this month, not sure if anyone really listens to these (most of my listens come from the tmb forums), but if you do feel free to give feedback.
Well, I for one have been downloading and enjoying every one of your mixes so far, and I've had passengers in my car ask whose mixes I was playing. Sent them a couple of your sets. Do you have a homepage/myspace/whatever?

Counterlogic
Mar 31, 2006
A young pathfinder with too much on his mind.

Rivfader posted:

New Techno set by Sjoewe and myself.

Rahmenfluss - Zerstört

Genre: Techno
Duration: 1u20min
Info/Size: 320 KB/s, 183 MB

Downloadlink: Click!

Comments & Feedback appreciated. Enjoy. :)

I love you. This paper I'm writing for my class on Berlin deserved this mix, been rockin' me through the final stretch for this thing.

actionjackson posted:

I agree about making connections - I don't really know anyone here, but I managed to get a couple gigs by putting my info online, and from that have meet some other people. Only problem is that other people can be kind of unreliable in terms of getting replies concerning gigs or whatnot. I met someone after a gig (I have had two now!), got his email but haven't heard back from him yet (though he assured me he'd get "right back to me").

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zqmzc8

Scott Jackson
September 2009
61 min

And this one was my programming assignment groove yesterday, lol. I'm up to show two as well, definitely kinda slim pickings for gigs in this town for tech/etc. down this alley to begin with though so despite basically knowing most of the guys who run and promote just about everything big around here (as well as the [few] not so big but way cooler rarities and recurrings...) pretty well now more or less, I'm still kind of at a point of like... wtf, um, what now?

Seriously great mixes though, I haven't been listening to lots of other peoples' mixes other than friends and locals until more recently and these were two of the most interesting I've heard in a while.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

JimmyJazz posted:

Aphex Twin - Ageispolis
Mr. Scruff - Travelogue
Boom Bip - U R Here
Hystereo - Velocity
ISAN - Seven Mile Marker
Bonobo - Ketto

I like the look of the tracklisting of this (as someone who plays this kind of music regularly). I'll give it a listen and report back

jonmitz posted:

is trip hop what pretty lights is? I'm downloading that anyway since I've been getting into that kinda music lately

Not really familiar with them so I listened to one of their tracks on youtube. Sounds more like a cross between funk and the whompy-ness of dubstep. Definitely the same tempo range of triphop though.

When I think triphop I think of artists like Massive Attack, Kruder & Dorfmeister, Portishead....etc

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Might as well post my latest while I'm at it...

This is the recording of my set from my friend's birthday party last weekend, an afterhours warehouse affair. I played later in the night so I didn't pull any punches in terms of playing rocking stuff. I love playing these kinds of sets because I don't get to do them that often (usually doing opening sets where these types of tracks are less appropriate). I also dropped a few old favorites along side some of these newer jams

http://soundcloud.com/vanillaslimfast/bones-live-at-the-endangered-guestlist-party-2009-09-18
Direct Download link: http://soundcloud.com/vanillaslimfast/bones-live-at-the-endangered-guestlist-party-2009-09-18/download

Tracklisting:

01) TG - Kitch In [dirtybird]
02) Kenneth James Gibson - Animals Tonight feat. Kelly Johnston [Culprit]
03) Maurizo Viteiello - Halflife (Gavin Herlihy Remix) [Bauns]
04) Mark Farina - Life (Pezzner Remix) [Om Records]
05) Worthy & DWL - Dry Wood [Anabatic]
06) M.I.A. - Paper Planes (Cates&dpL Papered Up Dub)
07) Steve Bug - Swallowed Too Much Bass feat. Paris The Black Fu (Joris Voorn Remix) [Poker Flat]
08) Le Ron & Yves Eaux & Luke Star - Raar Maar Waar (Presslaboys Remix) [Kindred Sounds]
09) Paris Underground - Night and Day (Christian Malloni Remix) [SNEJL]
10) Kabale Und Liebe - Una Y Nada (Nada Vox Remix) [100% Pure]
11) X-Press 2 - AC/DC (Gangbanger Remix) [Skint]
12) Goshva & Drive D - He Is All Right
13) Nick Curly - Bulgaria [Cecille]
14) Wamdue Project - King of my Castle (S'Man Comin 4 Ya Castle Remix) [Strictly Rhythm]
15) Deadset - Keep Quiet (Deadset Play Naughty) [Front Room]
16) Nicolas Vallée - New New York [Whitelabel]

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma

JimmyJazz posted:

Aphex Twin - Ageispolis
Mr. Scruff - Travelogue
Boom Bip - U R Here
Hystereo - Velocity
ISAN - Seven Mile Marker
Bonobo - Ketto

Downloading now, this looks right up my alley. This is the type of stuff I got started DJing. Who plays Groove Armada and Boom Bip anymore?!? Anyway, I'll post comments later on

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

JimmyJazz posted:

Ok listening to this now. Right off the top I'm noticing that every track has the distinct sound of timestretching applied and it's really distracting to me. It sounds like you mixed this on CDJs pitched wayyy down with master tempo turned on? Either that or you did it in Ableton and didn't change the warp type

So far it's decent, although your beatmatching isn't quite solid. The very first transition, in particular, is off by quite a bit.

I like the track selection, but the programming could use a bit of work. Try and work your mix start/end so that they line up in phrases between the two songs. Some of the transitions simply fade out the previous track in the middle of a measure and it doesn't give as much "movement" to the mix.

Pres
Dec 20, 2005

I'm still rocking the Electro House/Top 40 everyone loves to hate. I made anohter mix if anyone would like to critique it.

http://soundcloud.com/rpresley/mix-3-7

Hey Boy Hey Girl - Chemical Brothers (Soulwax Remix)
Ghosts n Stuff - Deadmau5 (Original)
ANyway - Ducksauce (DJ DLG Bigroom Disco Remix)
Don't Trust Me - 3oh!3 (Mixin Marc & Tony Svejda Remix)
Crush Crush Crush - Paramore (Mattz Club Remix)
Metro Station - Shake It (Lenny B M-Mix Remix)

JimmyJazz
May 22, 2007

vanilla slimfast posted:

Ok listening to this now. Right off the top I'm noticing that every track has the distinct sound of timestretching applied and it's really distracting to me. It sounds like you mixed this on CDJs pitched wayyy down with master tempo turned on? Either that or you did it in Ableton and didn't change the warp type

So far it's decent, although your beatmatching isn't quite solid. The very first transition, in particular, is off by quite a bit.

I like the track selection, but the programming could use a bit of work. Try and work your mix start/end so that they line up in phrases between the two songs. Some of the transitions simply fade out the previous track in the middle of a measure and it doesn't give as much "movement" to the mix.

ya it was done on CDJs but none of the songs are really pitched way down, it's all generally in between +/- 10% do you recommend ever not using master tempo?

i agree i need to work on matching up the measures of tracks :^) that was mainly a problem with my being a little unfamilar with the genre/these particular tracks. thanks for giving it a listen though!

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

JimmyJazz posted:

ya it was done on CDJs but none of the songs are really pitched way down, it's all generally in between +/- 10% do you recommend ever not using master tempo?

i agree i need to work on matching up the measures of tracks :^) that was mainly a problem with my being a little unfamilar with the genre/these particular tracks. thanks for giving it a listen though!

Master Tempo is a good thing, but it tends to sound bad once you go past 4 or 5 percent (especially when pitching down which gives it that spread out matrix-y sound, which is what I was referring to in my previous post). If you are having to change the tempo that drastically to get from track to track, maybe you should change up the programming so that you are playing songs that are closer in BPM range.

I got through the rest of the set, and again, I like most of the tracks you picked but the programming needs a lot of work. It sounds like just about every track was pitched way down, like you weren't sure if some of the tracks would be too fast otherwise? You probably could have mixed the whole thing the same way but starting the first track near 0% instead of where you started at.

Flow-wise, you were kinda all over the place. You'd bounce immediately between light fluffy sparkly stuff and dark brooding stuff with no bridge in between. Try and be a bit more thematic. Group tracks that have complimentary elements so the mixes aren't so jarring.

I know that mixing this genre is tougher in general because a) it's slower which means your beatmatching has to be more on point, and b) the songs are generally less dj-friendly in terms of their intros and outros. By programming your set a bit better, you can compensate for these things by having songs that flow into each other outside of the pure beatmatching elements. I find harmonic mixing is a big help since you don't have the luxury of not overlapping melodies a lot of times

I'm of the opinion that good programming is probably about the hardest thing to pick up in DJing, and I'd even go as far to say that really good programming will make up for less-than-perfect beatmatching, any day, in any genre

j4yj4y
Mar 17, 2009
DJ^3 - Drizzle

Art of Noise - Wet Dream (Way Out West's Excellent Extended Mix)
Pat Foosheen - The Unthinkable (Habersham's Mah Sivve Mix)
Momu - Descolada
Sarah McLachlan - Stupid (Hyper Mix)
Trafik - Your Light (Luke Chable's Vocal Mix)
C83 Feat. Tamra - Twisted Logic (Christian J Mix)
Hyper Vs. General Midi - We've Been Waiting
Blackwatch & Greed Feat. Leslie - Gentle Rain (Greyarea's Dismembered Breaks Mix)
Gary Jules - Mad World (Stefan's Journey Into Madness Mix)
Three Drives on a Vinyl - Greece 2000 (Farmatronic Genetic Mix)
Pole Folder & CP - Dust
Ian Brown - Fear (Fear Danni Mix)

The above is a progressive breaks mix that I did back in 2004. I took a break from spinning shortly after releasing this in an effort to focus on production which resulted in the following remix release in 2005.

D:Fuse - Everything With You (JHazen & DJ^3 Remix)

A reworking of the studio, switch in DAW's and rebranding has resulted in the current projects that I'm working on. The finished version of this track and a new DJ Mix hopefully to follow soon!

Tonebreaker - Frequinox (WIP)

Cheers and Enjoy,

DJ^3 // Tonebreaker

j4yj4y fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 23, 2009

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
someone use this in a mix pls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVlw9iWvE5k

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

wayfinder posted:

Well, I for one have been downloading and enjoying every one of your mixes so far, and I've had passengers in my car ask whose mixes I was playing. Sent them a couple of your sets. Do you have a homepage/myspace/whatever?

Well thanks, I appreciate that. I have a facebook that I use (though rarely), but nothing specifically oriented towards dj mixes. You can look me up on facebook and add me there though (I live in Milwaukee, WI).

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

actionjackson posted:

Well thanks, I appreciate that. I have a facebook that I use (though rarely), but nothing specifically oriented towards dj mixes. You can look me up on facebook and add me there though (I live in Milwaukee, WI).
Sorry, I'm not on facebook. You should get a small blog, or twitter or something :) I'd follow the poo poo outta that

Psychedelic
Jul 31, 2009

jonmitz posted:

someone use this in a mix pls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVlw9iWvE5k

This is sweet, I'm definitely saving it to the library

Spongehead56
Jan 4, 2005

Phat_Albert posted:

Am I screwed because I'm not in touch with "the scene" here? Here being Milwaukee.

I'm a reasonably successful electro DJ in Wisconsin; I mostly play in Milwaukee, Watertown, and Neenah/Appleton. Send me a mix and your myspace. If your stuff is decent I'll introduce you to the promoters in the area.

EDIT: might as well share my mix while I'm at it:

Foil presents:

Fire Power - Wolfgang Gartner
At the Hippo Bar - Mason
Hustlin' and Scratchin' (Gigi Borocco Remix) - Will Bailey
Moombah (Afrojack Mix) - Silvio Como & Chuckie
We Just Came to Get the Party Started (Night Drugs Remix) - The Disco Villians
Trespasser (Gigi Borocco Remix) - Spencer & Hill
Lyposuct - Tai Jason & D.I.M.
Everything Cool - Foamo
Flat Beat (Original More Mix) - Dirty Funker
Asa Dachi (Miles Dyson & Tobs Remix) - Yenn
The Grey Agenda - Wolfgang Gartner
Let the Bass Kick (Original Extended Mix) - Chuckie
Light Night Dance (Shinichi Osawa Remix) - De De Mouse
(Cover image by Kaiti Adamson, with editing and formatting by Nix-9)

128k mp3 Preview: http://soundcloud.com/foilelectro/salty-snack
320k mp3 Download: http://soundcloud.com/foilelectro/salty-snack/download (110mb, but very high quality!)

I would love some feedback :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
phiz crosspost:

i made my first mix. it was in traktor. it is a bit under half an hour long. it has bmore and bloghouse and a disco song at the end. i think it is good. there is one part i messed up but it is still good.

kcw may 2011 mix

Rod Lee - Sweet Dreams
Wale feat. Lady Gaga - Chillin (Alta Joya remix)
The Gossip - Love Long Distance (Fake Blood remix)
Emynd - The Club Champ (Scott Matelic remix)
Ting Tings - Great DJ (DJ Jem remix)
DJ Punish - Let's Get Down
Baobinga & I.D. - Jump Up & Buck (DJ Manaia mash - Baobinga edit)
Cubic Zirconia - gently caress Work (Proper Villains & Jubilee remix)
Alexander Technique feat. Princess Superstar - Rock U (Blogula main mix/Chewy Chocolate Cookies remix)
Acidkids - Mitch (Emperor Machine short radio version)
First Choice - Let No Man Put Asunder (Ron Hardy mix)

There are definitely things I'll do differently/better next time, but I like the way my first turned out.

• Locked thread