Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darqness
Jul 20, 2006

gibbed posted:

I'm a naughty boy.

http://maze.heroku.com/maze?x=15&y=20
This is awesome

avidal posted:

RMS is hacking the maze!
http://maze.heroku.com/maze?x=30&y=200

This too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digibawb
Dec 15, 2004
got moo?

tripwire posted:

Well, I still haven't found the bug, and I'm not so sure it's working. That picture is from many thousands of generations into the simulation where it should be converging to look like the source picture but the fitness seems to stay the same at roughly 50% similar to the source, forever. This is what you'd expect to happen if there was zero evolutionary pressure, or if there was no way at all for the drawings to pass on fit genes to future drawings (or put another way, it seems like either the drawing or some aspect of the evaluation of the drawing is failing completely).

All it spits out is random canvas after random canvas with no improvements. :(

I know the genetic algorithm itself works because when I switch the rendering engine back to cairo it works like normal again.

These things are a lot of fun to work on! I tried one back in April, though the only output I was really happy with was the firefox logo.

http://digibob.co.uk/images/firefox/

I'm sure I had a gif of it kicking around, but I can't find it now.

broiledmeat
Jul 25, 2006
:|

Click here for the full 825x1100 image.

This is a GPS receiver my friend put together. The thing spits out NMEA messages, which are all mostly loving terrible (not guaranteed to arrive in order or well formed or at all, also just mostly a lovely spec). I wrote a python app to handle the incoming data from it, clean things up, and spit it back out. Also it scans for wireless networks, spits out name/mac/strength/gpslocation and some other stuff, as well as recording it in an SQLite database for later use.

The viewer opens the scanner as a subprocess and (tries) to make everything pretty fun to watch. It seems to work pretty well most of the time, but occasionally has a hard time updating, redrawing, and saving snapshots all at once. Hopefully I will be able to fix that all soon. :|

http://atinybird.com/projects/witographer/bathursttoalbany.html
I wrote a lot of this while we were driving from Bathurst, New Brunswick to Albany, New York, and managed to record a bunch of stuff on the way.

http://atinybird.com/nest/panchos.avi
Driving to a restaurant, the video kind of flips out because of some bad screenshots. Yay PyGTK <3

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow
A while ago I half finished my python based cuda/opengl version of that steepest descent triangle picture evolver.

Its actually pretty interesting to watch interactively. even though it suffers from the same terrible long term performance with such a dumb algorithm, no matter how much speed you throw at it rendering wise. Theres probably many ways it could be sped up GPU wise as I'm sure my attempt at cuda and opengl interop is very slow, but I'm I think it would be interesting to start fooling around with other reinforcement learning strategies and see how they handle the same general idea, or other approaches for image generation altogether.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
Working on embedded stuff for a few years has really given me a bit more of a bottom-up understanding of simple micros. So, for a fun experiment I started writing an emulator for the first machine I ever owned, an Acorn Electron.

Still no screen driver written for it yet, but I hooked a debug output to intercept its calls to the ROM routine that prints a character, and today it did this.

Pointless milestone, maybe, on a pointless task (the machine's already been perfectly emulated) but to have recreated my first computer in software makes me smile :)

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

HauntedRobot posted:

Pointless milestone, maybe, on a pointless task (the machine's already been perfectly emulated) but to have recreated my first computer in software makes me smile :)

Things done for the love of it are the best :respek:

Da Gaspodin
May 2, 2006

boxSpin(time);
Demoscene (http://en.wikipedia.com/wiki/Demoscene) production I designed and mostly coded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DCurP2a-FU

OpenGL + GLU + GLEW for graphics and libSDL for windowing / timing code. Easily portable to pretty much any OS that can compile those libs and support shaders.

The music uses a software synth called 4Klang by Alcatraz, and the visuals are mostly based on Lindenmayer system (L-system) fractals which are generated realtime and visualized in various ways.

Da Gaspodin fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 27, 2009

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Click here for the full 1680x1050 image.

I finally installed two (out of four total) Tesla cards in a new i7-based machine I built this weekend, and got them up and running earlier today. I'm currently trying to troubleshoot why I'm dying in CUDA kernel startup on the Teslas when running an n-body benchmark.

It'll probably be another three weeks or so until I build the second GPGPU box (slated to be Linux).

MagneticWombats
Aug 19, 2004
JUMP!

mnd posted:

Click here for the full 1680x1050 image.

I finally installed two (out of four total) Tesla cards in a new i7-based machine I built this weekend, and got them up and running earlier today. I'm currently trying to troubleshoot why I'm dying in CUDA kernel startup on the Teslas when running an n-body benchmark.

It'll probably be another three weeks or so until I build the second GPGPU box (slated to be Linux).

Are you made of money/being funded by a university?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Fixed a bunch of retarded bugs in my global illumination toy. The result was an extreme improvement in lighting quality. I think I got them all out because it actually looks really good now.

12" sample size + 1 bounce (a.k.a. lowest quality):

Click here for the full 640x400 image.

Diffuse light only:

(Yes I know there's a bright spot on one of the pillars. I know what causes it, I'm still working on fixing it.)

In other news, one of the test maps won't even run without my computer BSODing due to an infinite loop in ATI's lovely video drivers. :suicide:

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Sep 28, 2009

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

OneEightHundred posted:

Fixed a bunch of retarded bugs in my global illumination toy. The result was an extreme improvement in lighting quality. I think I got them all out because it actually looks really good now.

12" sample size + 1 bounce (a.k.a. lowest quality):

Diffuse light only:

(Yes I know there's a bright spot on one of the pillars. I know what causes it, I'm still working on fixing it.)

In other news, one of the test maps won't even run without my computer BSODing due to an infinite loop in ATI's lovely video drivers. :suicide:

That is absolutely amazing. :|

RussianManiac
Dec 27, 2005

by Ozmaugh
My first VTK program :D

Click here for the full 1920x1200 image.

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

Da Gaspodin posted:

Demoscene (http://en.wikipedia.com/wiki/Demoscene) production I designed and mostly coded:

OpenGL + GLU + GLEW for graphics and libSDL for windowing / timing code. Easily portable to pretty much any OS that can compile those libs and support shaders.

The music uses a software synth called 4Klang by Alcatraz, and the visuals are mostly based on Lindenmayer system (L-system) fractals which are generated realtime and visualized in various ways.

Sick dude! Very nice effects. As someone who's trying to learn as much as they can about opengl, glu and l-systems, is there any chance you'd be willing to share your code with others? I'd love to know how you accomplished some of those 3d effects.

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Dataflow graph editor and library a la vvvv.

This image is hiding a lot of complexity; the code's already over 200kb, and pretty much everything about it is used to produce this specific image. However, in general use it's much more lightweight and speedy than other graph editors, as it's intended to be embedded rather than used as a distinct program (that exists, but the program's about two lines of code). You could use it to load images, for example, or do more complex processing. Stuff layers in - if you don't use the editor, then components don't have any editing information attached to them. It also caches data to keep from loading plugins until they're actually necessary.

Connections autoroute, show what they carry, and the connections animate in their direction of travel. Hovering over a connection or pin shows what information's on it, etc. Usability's an important part in short.

It's focused on utilising plugins designed for other programs rather than having plugins directly built for it. The flip side is that I want to write plugins for these programs that plug into my code. This could be used to load images in Photoshop using an Irfanview plugin or do more complex things leveraging graphs.

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT SPAMMING THE REPORT FORUM TO PROTECT ~MY WIFE'S~ OKCUPID PERSONALS ANALYSIS SA-MART THREAD. DO IT. ALL THE TIME. CONSTANTLY. IF SHE DOESN'T HAVE THE THREAD, SHE'LL WANT TO TALK TO ME!
I'm working on the successor to PixPlz1, originally written on Google App Engine. It's now written in Django using PostGreSQL. The most requested features from PixPlz1 were NWS images, ways to filter out certain types of photos (mainly "asian"), multi-file upload, and animated gif support so I added all of those.

I would love to get some feedback on what you think of the design and the UI. I would also love to hear ideas for features or how this could otherwise be improved.

http://pix-plz.com/

Click here for the full 1162x983 image.

LOLLERZ fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 30, 2009

RussianManiac
Dec 27, 2005

by Ozmaugh

LOLLERZ posted:

I'm working on the successor to PixPlz1, originally written on Google App Engine. It's now written in Django using PostGreSQL. The most requested features from PixPlz1 were NWS images, ways to filter out certain types of photos (mainly "asian"), multi-file upload, and animated gif support so I added all of those.

I would love to get some feedback on what you think of the design and the UI. I would also love to hear ideas for features or how this could otherwise be improved.

I have feeling this site is going to replace tube8.com in my life. thank yoU!

EDIT: sorry fort ypos, i am typing with one hand.

Warder
Nov 2, 2004
I've been working on a new game for the iPhone for the last month or so. I started programming it with Cocos2d. It was a little rough going at first, the docs seem pretty limited. I eventually got the hang of it, although I had to go back a few times and correct things.

The game is like the flash game Totem Destroyer. I'm planning on doing a few things differently, namely a different theme. A fellow goon is doing the artwork. I'm having a hard time coming up with a name though...

Here are a few W.I.P. shots:

Da Gaspodin
May 2, 2006

boxSpin(time);

tripwire posted:

Sick dude! Very nice effects. As someone who's trying to learn as much as they can about opengl, glu and l-systems, is there any chance you'd be willing to share your code with others? I'd love to know how you accomplished some of those 3d effects.
Already did :)

http://code.assembla.com/taibao/subversion/nodes

main.c contains pretty much everything. Beware, the code is a little bit unreadable as it was hacked together during extreme alcohol intake ;)

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!
A Processing game I was working on between college and getting a real job. Goal was to finish it and have something to show to game developers I was applying to. Didn't really have a design other than "I really liked the game Every Extend plus any game with chain reaction explosions are cool". As I worked on it I started to get gameplay ideas. Sadly they were never implemented because I stopped working on it once I got a job (didn't wind up working in the gaming industry either). Here are some screenshots:

(Click for big)

You are the green square, blue triangles are enemies. Over time more enemy groups spawn. Premise is to dodge guys until you can't last any longer or find the ideal time to detonate and cause a huge chain reaction. Project was stopped before I made detonation actually kill you (which is why player is always on screen).

It actually runs playable because Processing is using OpenGL to draw everything. All of the objects are drawn shapes (as opposed to sprites). I'm amazed it runs at all considering every shape is redrawn every frame. Despite the crude looking style, it looks pretty good in motion - explosions that expand quickly at the beginning and slower at the end of their lifespan (exponential ease out I guess, whichever one goes fast to slow), shifting hues based on chain reaction count, cheap frame blur. I've had a decent amount of fun just loving around with it too, I think it would make a fun little game.

I REALLY want to try and finish this. I've been looking through the code a bit lately, not a whole lot to it - shouldn't be too hard to pick up and work on more.

Dr. Glasscock fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 1, 2009

RussianManiac
Dec 27, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I compiled my color cube for windows and with just using opengl, no vtk so its much faster! Download it here: http://giga2.cs.ohiou.edu/~neiman/colorcube.exe

Click here for the full 646x511 image.

argz
May 20, 2005

The hand says it all.
sweet site but how do I share a pics with a friend? I see no quick link and right click still votes a pic.

e: o i see, click a pic again after you vote it.

also, if you want word to get out quick maybe you should consider including a widget like https://www.addthis.com on all the pages.

argz fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 1, 2009

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

LOLLERZ posted:

The rating system is very neat but the upload page is a bit poor on instruction and feedback. It's giving me a warning about Flash even though I have 10.x installed, doesn't seem completely happy with Chrome 4 on Ubuntu.

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT SPAMMING THE REPORT FORUM TO PROTECT ~MY WIFE'S~ OKCUPID PERSONALS ANALYSIS SA-MART THREAD. DO IT. ALL THE TIME. CONSTANTLY. IF SHE DOESN'T HAVE THE THREAD, SHE'LL WANT TO TALK TO ME!
The upload page is basically crap because so far I've been almost the only person to use it. I'm glad you noticed and gave me some specific stuff to fix. What do you mean by not happy on chrome 4?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

LOLLERZ posted:

I'm glad you noticed and gave me some specific stuff to fix.

More details:

Click here for the full 868x280 image.

The Flash warning implies I have the wrong version installed. Having "Step 2" on the far right and immediately usable is a bit confusing, it should be hidden or below "Step 1".

Once I have browsed for some files it's not obvious that I have completed "Step 1", and the list of files is neither marked as a list of files or clearly separated in the layout.

Click here for the full 1037x298 image.

The "upload files" should be a button if it's an action rather than a link to somewhere else, similar with "browse".

After clicking on "upload files" the progress is shown on the left not the right hand side.

Adding tags appears to be a "Step 3" but not indicated as such. There is no description what to do, that spaces separate tags, or by default nothing is selected - the last file group should be selected.

Click here for the full 1115x399 image.

Adding a tag to an image deselects the image, a bit odd.

You can add duplicate tags to an image.

After adding many tags they are not displayed correctly, some being hidden, and it can be difficult to delete some as the boxes jump about.

After adding tags it's not apparent that I have completed the upload process or what I should be doing next.

(edit) Holy cow, you realize that registering doesn't request or send any password? I have to re-use the registration link to sign in on a different machine.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 1, 2009

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
Thanks for your detailed feedback. I'll fix that as soon as I get around to it, kind of a disadvantage of being a one-man dev shop.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

MagneticWombats posted:

Are you made of money/being funded by a university?
Neither? I got a discount through the NVIDIA Developer Program.

RussianManiac
Dec 27, 2005

by Ozmaugh

mnd posted:

Neither? I got a discount through the NVIDIA Developer Program.

Will you marry me?

Seriously, tho that is really cool.

BadKarma
Aug 31, 2001

So I've decided to try my hand at affiliate marketing. I created a site that lists upcoming auctions on eBay where the price is a lot lower than retail:

https://www.glensdeals.com

Unfortunately, a lot of the stuff selling cheap is crap that no one wants and I was debating changing my methodology to only show popular higher priced items. For example, instead of listing old versions of MS Office or used clothes that are selling for 20% of retail price I would show iPods and Xboxes that were 70% of retail.

Also I was debating having separate websites that just focus on one category instead of showing everything on one page.

I'd love to know what anyone thinks of the site or if anyone else has any experience with affiliate marketing.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have worked at a company that provides offers for affiliates to run.

Don't get involved in this bullshit. Everyone you'll deal with in the affiliate game is a crook.

Sex Bumbo
Aug 14, 2004

Da Gaspodin posted:

Is this a 64k intro?

Sex Bumbo
Aug 14, 2004
Just wanted to make a pretty picture.
DX10, takes about 10 seconds to fully converge, though I didn't try to optimize anything. ~2.5k exe, though I didn't optimize size either.

I originally wanted to do something electric-sheepish but I couldn't figure out how to make things both pretty and >15fps.

Sex Bumbo fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 19, 2009

Scarboy
Jan 31, 2001

Good Luck!

Stanlo posted:

DX10, takes about 10 seconds to fully converge, though I didn't try to optimize anything. ~2.5k exe, though I didn't optimize size either.

I originally wanted to do something electric-sheepish but I couldn't figure out how to make things both pretty and >15fps.

Post a link to the math for this poo poo. I always see it and want to make similar stuff but have no idea where to start.

Sex Bumbo
Aug 14, 2004
http://flam3.com/flame.pdf

Everything you need is in that link.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
A Quantum Virtual Machine.

Yeah ... it's research.

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Stanlo posted:

I goofed off with fractals a few years ago when I was trying to break the GPU. Turned out it worked really well. I had fractals that used UltraFractal scripts directly, and fractals that used Electric Sheep presets directly. Compatibility was much higher than I was expecting considering I was throwing hundreds of instructions at the GPU, so long as drivers were up-to-date. Here's a link if you'd like to check it out:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/6m9d4v

Sex Bumbo
Aug 14, 2004
Nice!

I wanted to make animations and I didn't have many ideas and then got bored and moved on.

realtime ideas:
Frame recording - needs too much disk space

on the fly MPEG encoding - could work? Maybe? I know this is how electric sheep works.
- instead of normal MPEG, encode unfiltered histogram (faster/smaller?)

Upsample/filter - couldn't find a filter with acceptable quality. Motivation on this was that the frames converge pretty quickly if they're small; for example, 640x480 might be ok to do in realtime. However, I couldn't produce an image that I could uspample in photoshop or other offline tools with acceptable iq so I figured the chances of doing it realtime were nil. And 640x480 is just too small for me.

RussianManiac
Dec 27, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Time Sequence graph of my ACK Division attack. I implemented it by modifying TCP implementation in Linux kernel.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

A game idea I've had for a while, haven't made much progress on it. I turned off clearing the graphics buffer for a more impressive screenshot. Otherwise it would just be a black circle and a green line. :rolleyes:

wigga please
Nov 1, 2006

by mons all madden
Another photo mosaic generator:

One of the output images, this one is pretty small (3000*3000, 50*50 tiles), normally I use minimum 5000*5000 and 80*80 tiles but that's a bit large to upload:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CupBoy
Aug 7, 2002

It's a bloody cup.
Messing around with JavaScript, Canvas and strange attractors.

Link