Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
You can do multi-game GCN discs with single layer DVDs. In my experience with GCN Loader, the third game tends to boot and run well only half of the time, but that my have been the fault of my DVD burner, or something.

No idea if you can make them with dual-layer, but I suppose that the playback would be sketchier than with single layer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheku
Dec 28, 2006

I've Just skimmed through this whole thread to see if there was any mention of problems running a USB Loader (configurable or gx) on 4.1E?

I've got the HBC channel up and working and running apps from my SD, but the 2 loaders I've tried never actually pick up the pendrive (Sandisk Cruzer 8gb, U3 software removed, formatted to WBFS and a test iso placed on the drive) They just always hit the 30 second timeout!

To be honest, I think its just a cIOS issue im up against. I'm going to try and run through the much simpler steps outlined in the OP (I've been trudging through GBATemp for hours) and see how that goes! If there is something glaringly obvious i've missed, it'd be greatly appreciated if someone could point it out :)

Cheku fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Sep 22, 2009

Stokesy
Nov 26, 2003

G-R-A-S-P

Cheku posted:

I've Just skimmed through this whole thread to see if there was any mention of problems running a USB Loader (configurable or gx) on 4.1E?

I've got the HBC channel up and working and running apps from my SD, but the 2 loaders I've tried never actually pick up the pendrive (Sandisk Cruzer 8gb, U3 software removed, formatted to WBFS and a test iso placed on the drive) They just always hit the 30 second timeout!

To be honest, I think its just a cIOS issue im up against. I'm going to try and run through the much simpler steps outlined in the OP (I've been trudging through GBATemp for hours) and see how that goes! If there is something glaringly obvious i've missed, it'd be greatly appreciated if someone could point it out :)

Yeah, it is most likely a cIOS issue. Which one do you have installed?
If you have 4.1 and haven't installed a cIOS yet, you'll need to do the whole "IOS downgrade to restore the trucha bug fix" thing, which I don't think is in the OP.

Cheku
Dec 28, 2006

Stokesy posted:

Yeah, it is most likely a cIOS issue. Which one do you have installed?
If you have 4.1 and haven't installed a cIOS yet, you'll need to do the whole "IOS downgrade to restore the trucha bug fix" thing, which I don't think is in the OP.

I dont think i have one installed to be perfectly honest, but confirmation it is probably a cIOS issue gives me hope :) I'll use the guide in the OP and see how that goes, thanks!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

If you get it installed and it still doesn't work, verify that you're using the correct USB port.

Cheku
Dec 28, 2006

Mr_Person posted:

If you get it installed and it still doesn't work, verify that you're using the correct USB port.

As im looking at it from behind, the usb ports is in the top right hand corner of the facia, i was told to use the one "Closest to the edge" so, crudely depicted here, should i be using A or B?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

B, if I'm interpreting the diagram correctly.

hawk989s
Feb 13, 2003

• 244 Points
  • 226 Minutes
  • 6 Overtimes
  • 2 Days
  • One for the ages
So I restored my factory default settings and updated to by 4.1u after the HBC channel for some reason stopped working, trying to get some things working. Now the HBC is black screening and I have looked all over the place for answers, but can't find anything, can anyone help?

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

hawk989s posted:

So I restored my factory default settings and updated to by 4.1u after the HBC channel for some reason stopped working, trying to get some things working. Now the HBC is black screening and I have looked all over the place for answers, but can't find anything, can anyone help?

Use bannerbomb to reinstall CIOS.

hawk989s
Feb 13, 2003

• 244 Points
  • 226 Minutes
  • 6 Overtimes
  • 2 Days
  • One for the ages
Anytime I try to run a .dol file it says it cannot be booted.

Cheku
Dec 28, 2006

Just reporting back to say got it working!
Cheers guys! Wish i'd found this thread 2 weeks ago :)

hawk989s
Feb 13, 2003

• 244 Points
  • 226 Minutes
  • 6 Overtimes
  • 2 Days
  • One for the ages

hawk989s posted:

Anyone?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Just installed BootMii as boot2 but I can't seem to access the BootMii menu or whatever to backup my NAND. The BootMii as boot2 installer under HackMii reports "SUCCESS". Preparing the SD card from the BootMii installer appears to work, and I verified that the bootmii directory and its files are on the SD card. I see the blue slot light flashes that the BootMii FAQ described when I boot the Wii that supposedly indicate boot2 installation succeeded. My Wii is an early/mid-2008 model on System Menu 4.1. I'd suspect my SD card is incompatible but it's a Lexar 2GB, which is listed as one that works with the current version of BootMii and the issue indicated only appears to be that it's slow for backup.

Is there a button combination or something I'm supposed to hold down during the extra few seconds of black screen before the System Menu comes up to trigger the BootMii menu? I have Preloader installed, do I need to disable it or something? Or is that list incorrect my and SD card actually doesn't work?

Something in the bootmii.ini maybe?

hawk989s
Feb 13, 2003

• 244 Points
  • 226 Minutes
  • 6 Overtimes
  • 2 Days
  • One for the ages
Have you tried installing as IOS to see if that works?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

hawk989s posted:

Have you tried installing as IOS to see if that works?

Thanks - just tried that. BootMii/IOS installed fine and I'm running the backup now, appears to be OK. Is that a clue as to why I couldn't access BootMii when installed as boot2?

And since I have Preloader installed, and Preloader can boot to HBC, and HBC can launch BootMii to restore my NAND if I ever needed to, does that mean I have the same protection and there's no point in trying to get it working as boot2?

Stokesy
Nov 26, 2003

G-R-A-S-P

A Violence Gang posted:

Just installed BootMii as boot2 but I can't seem to access the BootMii menu or whatever to backup my NAND. The BootMii as boot2 installer under HackMii reports "SUCCESS". Preparing the SD card from the BootMii installer appears to work, and I verified that the bootmii directory and its files are on the SD card. I see the blue slot light flashes that the BootMii FAQ described when I boot the Wii that supposedly indicate boot2 installation succeeded. My Wii is an early/mid-2008 model on System Menu 4.1. I'd suspect my SD card is incompatible but it's a Lexar 2GB, which is listed as one that works with the current version of BootMii and the issue indicated only appears to be that it's slow for backup.

Is there a button combination or something I'm supposed to hold down during the extra few seconds of black screen before the System Menu comes up to trigger the BootMii menu? I have Preloader installed, do I need to disable it or something? Or is that list incorrect my and SD card actually doesn't work?

Something in the bootmii.ini maybe?

I had this issue. I initially thought I was using an incompatible SD, but when I deleted the bootmii.ini it worked fine every time, turns out if it can't find the bootmii.ini, but can still find the other files, it automatically runs bootmii. Now I've just renamed the bootmii folder to bootmii_no and change it back whenever I want to use it.

edit: The bootmii.ini was configured correctly and worked fine on another Wii, so it wasn't that.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Stokesy posted:

I had this issue. I initially thought I was using an incompatible SD, but when I deleted the bootmii.ini it worked fine every time, turns out if it can't find the bootmii.ini, but can still find the other files, it automatically runs bootmii. Now I've just renamed the bootmii folder to bootmii_no and change it back whenever I want to use it.

edit: The bootmii.ini was configured correctly and worked fine on another Wii, so it wasn't that.

Interesting, but didn't seem to fix my problem. I've played around a bit with bootmii.ini and as far as I can tell, its presence, absence or contents aren't having an effect on anything. I noticed that unlike the VIDEO setting, AUTOBOOT and BOOTDELAY lines were commented out in the bootmii.ini written to my SD card by the installer. Uncommented them, changed their values, nothing changes -- I get the blue slot light flashes but a few seconds later, System Menu as normal. Occasionally with the SD card inserted I get a black screen and a hard freeze upon booting, but it's not repeatable or tied to any particular change -- I'll simply unplug/replug the power cord, boot and everything's normal the next time.

I guess the simplest explanation is that my SD card actually isn't compatible with BootMii/boot2 -- that list at wiibrew.org could be wrong, or there could be subtle differences in a few models of Lexar 2GB cards that make some unsuitable. Still seems wrong though.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

A Violence Gang posted:

I guess the simplest explanation is that my SD card actually isn't compatible with BootMii/boot2 -- that list at wiibrew.org could be wrong, or there could be subtle differences in a few models of Lexar 2GB cards that make some unsuitable. Still seems wrong though.
This is probably a stupid question, but you are using the latest HackMii-installer? I couldn't get BootMii to work with my card using version 0.2, but it works perfectly with 0.3.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

torjus posted:

This is probably a stupid question, but you are using the latest HackMii-installer? I couldn't get BootMii to work with my card using version 0.2, but it works perfectly with 0.3.

Yeah, downloaded from BootMii.org yesterday. It's no big deal but I'm still wondering:

quote:

And since I have Preloader installed, and Preloader can boot to HBC, and HBC can launch BootMii/IOS to restore my NAND if I ever needed to, does that mean I have the same protection and there's no point in trying to get it working as boot2?

Or are there some conditions that BootMii/boot2 would survive but Preloader won't?

Evil Fiend
Apr 30, 2003

A Violence Gang posted:

Or are there some conditions that BootMii/boot2 would survive but Preloader won't?

I believe there are, because each time you update your system menu I think you need to reinstall Preloader, while BootMii stays there fine.

Stokesy
Nov 26, 2003

G-R-A-S-P
Maybe try reformatting your sd card as a last ditch effort?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Evil Fiend posted:

I believe there are, because each time you update your system menu I think you need to reinstall Preloader, while BootMii stays there fine.

I think you're right in general though on my last update -- an update on The Beatles: Rock Band disc that I had to install before the game would boot, even with Preloader's skip update check enabled, all my homebrew including Preloader survived.

Stokesy posted:

Maybe try reformatting your sd card as a last ditch effort?

Worth a shot; I'll copy the contents over to my PC, format it and try from scratch with just the HackMii installer on it. FAT32 I assume?

hawk989s
Feb 13, 2003

• 244 Points
  • 226 Minutes
  • 6 Overtimes
  • 2 Days
  • One for the ages

A Violence Gang posted:

I think you're right in general though on my last update -- an update on The Beatles: Rock Band disc that I had to install before the game would boot, even with Preloader's skip update check enabled, all my homebrew including Preloader survived.

Worth a shot; I'll copy the contents over to my PC, format it and try from scratch with just the HackMii installer on it. FAT32 I assume?

Yes, although I've seen some guides say FAT16, although I don;t know if it matters.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Checked my card and it was FAT16 so I tried formatting as FAT32 and same deal -- it seems as though BootMii/boot2 is properly installed but it isn't reading the SD card at all, so I'm going to assume that's what the problem is. I did back up my NAND with BootMii/IOS and I'll just try another card sometime when I have one around. Thanks for the help, everyone who tried.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Installed the Beatles Rockband update. Everything (except GCN Backup Loader) works as intended, as expected.

(And it's not like I used GCN Backup Loader that much, but hey, whatever)

96cobraguy
Aug 10, 2008
ok, any suggestions on this? Ive trying to get the external hard drive for my softmodded wii to work. i bannerbombed it, and ive used several different cIOS and whatnot. I got it to work sporadically, two occasions. both times, after i exited out of the loader and went back in I got the same error msg. I keep getting that damned usb drive not found (or sometimes -1 error). I tried switching usb ports, waiting to plug it in only after the wii has fully booted, different cIOS. I also double checked the drive on my netbook and my mac. they both show it has its primary partition in wbfs with all the games. Its a 500gb Simpletech external (essentially a western digital, as that is what the computer is saying is in there). any help would be immensely appreciated.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
My friend just told me he bought Beatles Rock Band and it hosed his Wii up (says it won't boot up any more). He's not savvy so he doesn't remember what he did but I'm assuming he allowed it to update. I don't know why this would happen though since the way PreLoader is set up, I told it to skip update checks. Apparently this does not work for Beatles Rock Band.

Since I'm essentially tech support for my friends can anyone recommend what could be wrong? The only thing I can think of is I set his system up with PreLoader and it autoboots to USBLoader. If this Beatles update broke the PreLoader, I can see why his system isn't working; but I'm not sure how to tell him to fix it. Any suggestions? And any way to prevent this crap from happening again since skip update check isn't working?

Blizzy_Cow
Feb 27, 2006
When one burns one's bridges, what a wonderful fire it makes
Did anyone else having an issue where the homebrew channel just stayed on the bubble screen after loading from the sd card. I let it sit for a few mintues and all it did was display the bubble screen.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Blizzy_Cow posted:

Did anyone else having an issue where the homebrew channel just stayed on the bubble screen after loading from the sd card. I let it sit for a few mintues and all it did was display the bubble screen.
Yep, I usually reboot when it happens.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Blizzy_Cow posted:

I've also had it boot to just a black screen. Probably the same glitch. Reboot always seems to fix it.

Blizzy_Cow
Feb 27, 2006
When one burns one's bridges, what a wonderful fire it makes
I tried to reboot fix and it still won't load past it. Should i just tank it all and start from scratch?

I tried swapping between BootMii as IOS and boot 2 and both installed at the same time and the only difference is whether or not the option for Launch BootMii is listed

Blizzy_Cow fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 28, 2009

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

DON'T UPDATE TO 4.2

Just read on NeoGaf that Nintendo has a new update out, and they are hitting homebrew hard.

4.2 deletes the Homebrew Channel, BootMii (both IOS and Boot2 variations), all custom IOS's and removes the BannerBomb exploit.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieet.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Just coming to post that myself. From the Wiibrew wiki:

quote:

Version 4.2 of the System Menu was released on September 28, 2009.

Changes

Deletes most homebrew.
Now uses IOS70.
Wii Shop Channel updated.

Affected homebrew

Bannerbomb - Doesn't work. Use Indiana Pwns or Comex's SmashStack beta.
BootMii - BootMii will cease to exist. Wait for an update to the HackMii Installer.
Homebrew Channel - It is uninstalled with this update. See above.
cIOS - Popular piracy cIOS locations are stubs. Don't pirate.
Preloader 0.29 - Not loaded any more due to IOS70 being as the System Menu. Wait for an update

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Will any version auto-update to 4.2?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
How cleanly does it remove the homebrew, for those of us who don't really want it anymore?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Senor Tron posted:

DON'T UPDATE TO 4.2

Just read on NeoGaf that Nintendo has a new update out, and they are hitting homebrew hard.

4.2 deletes the Homebrew Channel, BootMii (both IOS and Boot2 variations), all custom IOS's and removes the BannerBomb exploit.

Holy balls. I guess this means Nintendo is finally going after us. I bet it has something to do with all the game loaders...

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Ah well, it's not like WiiWare/VC is any cop anyway.

Regrets, I have none.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

FlyingCheese posted:

Holy balls. I guess this means Nintendo is finally going after us. I bet it has something to do with all the game loaders...

Yeah, that and it was getting really well known.

Even G4 was telling people how they could install stuff on the Wii to play old games (including ones on the VC) for free:

http://g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/exclusives/68443/Hack-This-Nintendo-Wii-Mods.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Senor Tron posted:

DON'T UPDATE TO 4.2

poo poo, WiiConnect24 is off but I feel like deleting all Wireless information from the console just to be safe. :ohdear:

• Locked thread