Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Wii is incapable of downloading/installing anything in the background - it needs to be prompted, therefore it won't download anything unless you tell it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't think it even updates (without being from a game disc) without saying "Do you want to update? It could gently caress you up if you modded this poo poo."

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Honestly, if you just don't download the update you'll be completely fine. Everyone should be using Preloader/StartPatch to skip disc updates already either way. Because it literally has no features, no one's going to release a safe updater for it, so for now people just need to be smart until Twiizers releases a new hack for 4.2 using Indiana Pwns/Smash Stack.

E: Waninkoko posted in the Gbatemp thread about 4.2, which means he's probably going to get back into the Wii hacking scene to release a new cIOS/workaround for Rev14.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Sep 29, 2009

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I find it funny just how behind Nintendo are here. Yeah, they've managed to block Bannerbomb. Just as a new exploit starts doing the rounds. Oops.

Good that Waninkoko is taking another stab at this poo poo, too.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Brett824 posted:

Everyone should be using Preloader/StartPatch to skip disc updates already either way.

So I take it there is no way to skip downloadable updates? There's some Wiiware I would like to buy. :(

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Glad there's not really any reason for my Wii to be internet-connected or even play any new games for at least a year or so.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
And nice to see that you can still install it if you've got either Indiana Jones or that oh-so-extremely-obscure Smash Bros. sequel for the Wii. :rolleyes:

e:I think I heard that, since it involves a software exploit, the Smash Bros. exploit is impossible to remove. Any truth to it?

CraigK fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 29, 2009

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Cojawfee posted:

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieet.
My thoughts exactly.

I love how every time nintendo releases a new update everyone freaks out and ask if they should unplug their wii.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

CraigK posted:

And nice to see that you can still install it if you've got either Indiana Jones or that oh-so-extremely-obscure Smash Bros. sequel for the Wii. :rolleyes:

e:I think I heard that, since it involves a software exploit, the Smash Bros. exploit is impossible to remove. Any truth to it?

They could probably "patch" it by changing modifying the IOS it uses with some specific code to stop the buffer overflow, but it would very difficult to pull off without breaking something.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Mill Village posted:

So I take it there is no way to skip downloadable updates? There's some Wiiware I would like to buy. :(

In the past people have made programs that'll update the Shop Channel and leave everything else alone so that you can keep on buying poo poo without breaking homebrew. From the looks of things that won't be as easy this time as the System Menu hinges on a new IOS, so updating the Shop Channel on its own probably won't work. My guess is it's in preparation for the VC referral scheme that's coming soon.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Brett824 posted:

Honestly, if you just don't download the update you'll be completely fine. Everyone should be using Preloader/StartPatch to skip disc updates already either way. Because it literally has no features, no one's going to release a safe updater for it, so for now people just need to be smart until Twiizers releases a new hack for 4.2 using Indiana Pwns/Smash Stack.

Wii Shop Channel doesn't work without it. Some people like to buy things and have their homebrew and are not pirates.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I won't care about the lack of the Shop channel until Cave Story comes out.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Grilldos posted:

I won't care about the lack of the Shop channel until Cave Story comes out.

Yeah. That's what I'm waiting for too.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Awww gently caress does this mean I can't add points to my wii account? I wanted to buy more RB2 DLC this weekend. :(

Can you add points without using the Wii itself? The in-game shop doesn't use the shop channel itself so I can still buy stuff.

The shop channel can't be independantly upgraded anymore? I have the formerly most recent shop channel and my wii is still technically 3.3U.

e. duh, I guess if the system menu uses a new IOS then it would require that upgrade too, huh?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Code Jockey posted:

Awww gently caress does this mean I can't add points to my wii account? I wanted to buy more RB2 DLC this weekend. :(

Can you add points without using the Wii itself? The in-game shop doesn't use the shop channel itself so I can still buy stuff.

The shop channel can't be independantly upgraded anymore? I have the formerly most recent shop channel and my wii is still technically 3.3U.

e. duh, I guess if the system menu uses a new IOS then it would require that upgrade too, huh?

According to the WiiBrew post on it, it's the same version of WiiShop, but it checks the main system menu to see if it's the latest version and if it's not, it wont run (tell you to update).

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

That's kind of dumb though, because won't people who used homebrew before and bought wii shop stuff now just pirate things?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Yeah, it does seem kind of dumb. They won't let you buy things if they're afraid you won't buy things. I've got a homebrewed Wii, but want to give Nintendo my money so I can purchase old games on the VC or pick up some WiiWare. They're making it so much harder to give them my money.

I guess they are counting on us wanting some WiiWare game SO MUCH, that we will just give up everything homebrew has to offer for that game.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

Chronojam posted:

Yeah, it does seem kind of dumb. They won't let you buy things if they're afraid you won't buy things. I've got a homebrewed Wii, but want to give Nintendo my money so I can purchase old games on the VC or pick up some WiiWare. They're making it so much harder to give them my money.

I guess they are counting on us wanting some WiiWare game SO MUCH, that we will just give up everything homebrew has to offer for that game.

I'm just wondering if newer games (Boy and his Blob? :ohdear: ) will refuse to run out of the old System Menu.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I am basically going to have to update to 4.2 at some point because I REALLY want to get Beatles Rock Band DLC and I need to go into the shop channel to add points. Here's hoping they can fix Homebrew Channel before Oct. 20, 2009 because I NEED to buy the Abbey Road medley (You Never Give Me Your Money/Sun King/Mean Mr. Mustard/Polythene Pam/She Came in Through the Bathroom Window/Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight), which will be one continuous track and Maxwell's Silver Hammer.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Yeah wow, I hope that some sort of workaround is released before Cave Story goes up on the shop channel, I was really looking forward to buying that. :(

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
WiiSCU can supposedly be used to update the shop channel without having to install anything else.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Cless Alvein posted:

WiiSCU can supposedly be used to update the shop channel without having to install anything else.

Right and that's what I used before, but now, the shop channel you pull is going to look at the running system menu. :smith:

So there's no other way to add points? That's dumb as all hell.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Chronojam posted:

Yeah, that ain't gonna happen here. Much as I want Cave Story, La-Mulana and some other bits, I can stand to wait a week or two while industrious Wii hacky types crack the system so that homebrew types can get to the store again. I don't want to go back to using discs again. They're so slow! Having everything installed to HD is just so much better.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

Dominic White posted:

I don't want to go back to using discs again. They're so slow! Having everything installed to HD is just so much better.
This. And ScummVM, and mPlayer, and emulators and a billion other things that basically got me using my Wii again after well over a year of it sitting gathering dust. I have a couple of thousand Wii points sat in my shop account which I guess are useless now, not that Nintendo care as they already have my money I suppose.

What a load of arse.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Workarounds will come, no doubt about it. Just wait, unless you're itching to get that wii shop title right at this very moment.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When Nintendo puts something in the shop that's worth buying, I'll think about paying them. I've already got five bucks in the shop from a couple years ago, but whatever.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
WSCU can update the shop channel independently from system menu, allowing you to access it easily.

Also, the odds that games are going to start coming with 4.2 are pretty slim, considering there hasn't been a game that included a SysMenu update since 3.4.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Brett824 posted:

WSCU can update the shop channel independently from system menu, allowing you to access it easily.

Also, the odds that games are going to start coming with 4.2 are pretty slim, considering there hasn't been a game that included a SysMenu update since 3.4.

Doesn't work. Non trucha ios61 gives a connection error. Patched 61 says you need to update.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

People on GBATemp are claiming they've gotten it to work with just WiiSCU. I've yet to try it because I really don't care, so I could be wrong.

e:

marc_max from GBAtemp posted:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7SY8O82H

For those who are having problems updating their Shop Channels with WiiSCU.
I made a quick modification to tona's shop installer that installs the real Shop Channel v17. I tried it on my console and it worked perfectly biggrin.gif
But this kind of applications can be very dangerous, so use it at your own risk.

Multiple people say this work, and multiple people have confirmed Wiiscu works.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 29, 2009

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I wonder if you could just patch the shop channel to not check for system channel version, or to not care about what it finds?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Code Jockey posted:

I wonder if you could just patch the shop channel to not check for system channel version, or to not care about what it finds?
Or just patch the current system channel to report a false version?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm a little confused - since theres now two other exploits to install homebrew stuff, whats stopping anyone from just using those and running homebrew and all that other stuff?

Or is this one of those updates where it removes all the stuff every time you turn on your system and such?

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 29, 2009

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Robolizard! posted:

I'm a little confused - since theres now two other exploits to install homebrew stuff, what stopping anyone from just using those and running homebrew and all that other stuff?

Nothing much, except that for some things to work fully again post-update we're just waiting on an cIOS update. If you've already got a hacked Wii, it's probably best to wait until all the apps and updaters fall into line with 4.2.

Brett824 posted:

The System Menu checks for the title IDs HAXX and DVDX on every boot, and deletes them.

Blargh. I am corrected. I do find it funny that the solution to that could be as simple as renaming to 'HAKS' and 'DVDZ' though.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 29, 2009

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Robolizard! posted:

I'm a little confused - since theres now two other exploits to install homebrew stuff, what stopping anyone from just using those and running homebrew and all that other stuff?

Or is this one of those updates where it removes all the stuff every time you turn on your system and such?

The System Menu checks for the title IDs HAXX and DVDX on every boot, and deletes them. People have gotten around this by just DOP IOSing 56, 57, 70 and then installing the System Menu WAD, and changing their HBC title ID to "LOVE". 4.2 isn't that big of a deal for people on 4.1 who want to update safely.

hawk989s
Feb 13, 2003

• 244 Points
  • 226 Minutes
  • 6 Overtimes
  • 2 Days
  • One for the ages
But basically there's no reason to update to 4.2 from 4.1 unless you need the WiiShop Channel. Right?

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

hawk989s posted:

But basically there's no reason to update to 4.2 from 4.1 unless you need the WiiShop Channel. Right?

You don't need to update to 4.2 to use the shop channel, use WiiSCU or the Megaupload link I posted a couple posts up to do that. Other than that there's no reason other than to avoid the inevitable required update for Ninty's big holiday releases. Wanin's probably going to release a Safe 4.2 within a couple days, so if anyone really feels like getting 4.2, wait until then.

hawk989s
Feb 13, 2003

• 244 Points
  • 226 Minutes
  • 6 Overtimes
  • 2 Days
  • One for the ages

Brett824 posted:

Other than that there's no reason other than to avoid the inevitable required update for Ninty's big holiday releases.

From what I read though, chances are it probably wont be required.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

hawk989s posted:

From what I read though, chances are it probably wont be required.

I don't know, Nintendo went through the effort of stubbing the major cIOS IOSes and blocking title IDs with this update. Wouldn't surprise me if they found a way to rush in 4.2 to all their holiday releases. They're really cracking down on people having fun with the Wii.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Interesting thing to note: If you accidentally updated to 4.2 and had Waninkoko's Rev14 installed, there's already a solution to get HBC back. Using Smash Stack or Indiana Pwns to run WAD Manager and install a modified title ID HBC WAD (Team Twiizers doesn't like this, but whatever) using IOS 250 will work fine. Thanks to Waninkoko for maxing out the IOS250 version number to prevent it from being stubbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Brett824 posted:

I don't know, Nintendo went through the effort of stubbing the major cIOS IOSes and blocking title IDs with this update. Wouldn't surprise me if they found a way to rush in 4.2 to all their holiday releases. They're really cracking down on people having fun with the Wii.

Yeah, but people will find a way. Either a new way to hack the Wii, or a way to patch disc images, or a way to extract and install necessary update pieces, or...

• Locked thread