Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Waninkoko's cIOS didn't get stubbed successfully? So essentially everything works on 4.2 now, even if it's a pain in the rear end, and all we're waiting on to get things back to the state they were in before is an updated HackMii installer with new title IDs?

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 30, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niklas Kronwall 2.0
May 15, 2009
Couldn't someone just release a hacked 4.2 that doesn't target homebrew?

I mean, I used patched versions from 3.1 to 4.1.

Mr_Person posted:

Waninkoko's cIOS didn't get stubbed successfully? So essentially everything works on 4.2 now, even if it's a pain in the rear end, and all we're waiting on to get things back to the state they were in before is an updated HackMii installer with new title IDs?

I have read that 4.2 also blocks boot2 use just like with LU64 Wiis.

Niklas Kronwall 2.0 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 30, 2009

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Mr_Person posted:

Pretty much. Waninkoko's 250 didn't get overwritten because he set the version number to 0xFFFF, and because that's the max, Nintendo's update skipped that IOS assuming it already had a higher version.

Niklas Kronwall 2.0 posted:

Couldn't someone just release a hacked 4.2 that doesn't target homebrew?

Someone's already done it and there's preloader hacks for it. Someone major needs to just put their name on it and release it with the other 4.2 IOS updates.

I have read that 4.2 also blocks boot2 use just like with LU64 Wiis.

I believe it just overwrites it, not blocks it. They just need to find another exploit to write a new version of Bootmii to it.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 30, 2009

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
e: Oops double posted by accident.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Brett824 posted:

I believe it just overwrites it, not blocks it. They just need to find another exploit to write a new version of Bootmii to it.

That isn't very likely.

Stokesy
Nov 26, 2003

G-R-A-S-P
There is a nice writeup about the 4.2 update on the HackMii blog. It seems Nintendo haven't done a great job, so expect workarounds in a few days or so.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

Stokesy posted:

There is a nice writeup about the 4.2 update on the HackMii blog. It seems Nintendo haven't done a great job, so expect workarounds in a few days or so.

I love this from the comments:

quote:

comex // Sep 29, 2009 at 7:14 pm

the “fix” for bannerbomb is retarded, new version tomorrow hopefully

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

New Hackmii installer out. Bunch of goodies out of the HBC update, and everything installs perfectly on virgin 4.2 Wiis (still have to use Indiana Pwns/Smash Stack though, new bannerbomb isn't out yet.)

http://hackmii.com/2009/09/silly_games/

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Hahaha god bless the Wii hacking community

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is there a way I can easily just reinstall things with the new title ids and then update?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Is there a way I can easily just reinstall things with the new title ids and then update?

Open Homebrew Channel and it'll prompt you to update.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Code Jockey posted:

Hahaha god bless the Wii hacking community

God bless indeed. I installed 4.2 thinking it was just gonna be another failed attempt by Nintendo to get rid of HBC. I was worried for a second that Nintendo actually had some competent programmers on their staff. Silly me.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

TaurusOxford posted:

God bless indeed. I installed 4.2 thinking it was just gonna be another failed attempt by Nintendo to get rid of HBC. I was worried for a second that Nintendo actually had some competent programmers on their staff. Silly me.

Yeah no kidding, I can't believe they'd risk modifying boot2 with such questionable code, and then ultimately not accomplish much of anything.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Well, I am an idiot. I installed the new homebrew browser before updating, and everything was fine, even reinstalled Bootmii after doing the update.

Everything is fine except USBloader. Bah. Can the USBLoader custom Ioses even be installed in a 4.2 wii?

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
So, all in all, Nintendo probably spent a couple of months working on this update to block homebrew code from running, and it takes the hacking community about 30-40 hours to completely make the update useless and bring everything to status quo pre-4.2.

Is that a complement on the hacking community, or an insult to Nintendo programmers?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

CraigK posted:

Is that a compliment on the hacking community, or an insult to Nintendo programmers?

It's both, although knowing Nintendo, there programmers probably don't even have half the talent of the Homebrew Team, so it's probably more of a 75-25 split in favor of it being a compliment for the Homebrew Team.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Luisfe posted:

Well, I am an idiot. I installed the new homebrew browser before updating, and everything was fine, even reinstalled Bootmii after doing the update.

Everything is fine except USBloader. Bah. Can the USBLoader custom Ioses even be installed in a 4.2 wii?

What cIOS revision did you have installed? Supposedly rev14 doesn't get stubbed by the 4.2 update, but I have yet to see definite confirmation of this from somebody who has updated.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
IIRC I had rev14. But now whenever I open USBloader I get a black screen.

Trying to reinstall it is also a no-go, apparently.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Have you tried reinstalling cIOS using IOS250 as the install IOS? It's sounding like that's the one that's immune to stubbing, rather than the copy of it in 249 that most homebrew uses.

\/ Nifty. Glad my understanding of what this update does isn't completely off.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 30, 2009

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Yeah I was messing up, and it is reinstallable if I already had IOS250.
I misread "Install using CIOS number" to "Install CIOS number"

So I put use CIOS 250 (since all the others were stubbed), and it installed fine. Will check if USBloader works once again once it is finished.

Edit: Everything works just as before. Hooray!

Luisfe fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 30, 2009

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Code Jockey posted:

Yeah no kidding, I can't believe they'd risk modifying boot2 with such questionable code, and then ultimately not accomplish much of anything.
Welcome to the world of "NO, you can't run YOUR code on OUR hardware". Just take a look at the PSP and how Sony handled it.

Then again, Sony never risked the actual usability of the console with their efforts to contain homebrew.

Niklas Kronwall 2.0
May 15, 2009
So should people who are still on 4.1 install the newer hacks\homebrew and then update, or just wait for patched 4.2s to come out?

smkdan
Jul 16, 2008
yeah no kidding about that questionable code.

http://techforums.nintendo.com/nins/board/message?board.id=wii_tech&thread.id=29914&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Quite a few posts have been censored probably referencing homebrew or hackmii or whatever else.

This post is here is the worst though:

quote:

We'd like to help get your system working properly again. If you're experiencing problems with your Wii console after downloading Wii System Menu 4.2, and you believe your system has not been modified, please give us a call. If we find that you have a normal system and the update caused your system to not work, we'll repair it at no charge.

If Nintendo's half assed update renders your console inoperable, even though the reason is entirely the fault of their own code (marcan or bushing said something about error correction codes not being written for the new boot2), you don't get it fixed unless it's a virgin wii.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

So should people who are still on 4.1 install the newer hacks\homebrew and then update, or just wait for patched 4.2s to come out?

You'll also have to reinstall BootMii and cIOS after updating. Preloader still doesn't work, if you use that. I normally try to stay up to date, but in this case it's a big pain in the rear end for absolutely no new features or improvements. If you desperately need into the Shop Channel, WiiSCU can take care of that.

Also, has it been determined whether or not Trucha Bug Restorer still works? I've already got cIOS installed so it's not an issue in my case, just something I'm curious about.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 1, 2009

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

smkdan posted:

If Nintendo's half assed update renders your console inoperable, even though the reason is entirely the fault of their own code (marcan or bushing said something about error correction codes not being written for the new boot2), you don't get it fixed unless it's a virgin wii.

Well that's an obvious pussy move on Nintendo's part. Obviously they're gonna blame the Homebrew Team as much as they possibly can for their gently caress-up.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Zom Aur posted:

Welcome to the world of "NO, you can't run YOUR code on OUR hardware". Just take a look at the PSP and how Sony handled it.

Then again, Sony never risked the actual usability of the console with their efforts to contain homebrew.

Yeah, it's ridiculous.

I really don't understand this move at all. I mean are they just really mad about the piracy aspect? For the most part, just installing HBC is relatively safe, and as we've seen, the coding for it and its related hacks is more thoroughly tested and developed than the first party system software!

They're in the green with hardware sales, right? Like they're not losing money on hardware and having to make it back with games? I thought I read that somewhere, which would make this even more confusing. Why not leave it be, and make money from people buying the console because it's got some cool titles but also can be hacked in all sorts of fun ways? And just tell people "if you hosed it up or someone hosed it up for you, we're not going to be responsible and you can kiss your warranty goodbye"

e. I understand why from a 3rd party "why should we release software on your system when it's so easy to pirate for" aspect, and yeah I think they should fight the piracy aspect, but jesus, the boot2 thing seems ridiculously over the top.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 1, 2009

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
In case anyone is wondering, do NOT update your Wii to 4.2. There are no games that need the update.

Bannerbomb currently doesn't work with 4.2 (that may change), so the only exploits are through Lego Indiana Jones and SSBB.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!
WAAAAANINKOKO ATTACK

(It is suggested in the thread that you use the latest HackMii before installing this.)

Edit: :lol: Somehow the update makes the HBC show up upside down. Still works fine, it's just goofy. Maybe something Nintendo snuck into IOS61?

Edit 2: Nope, Waninkoko used a fake-signed IOS 61. Reinstall it using Dop-IOS and it's fine.

MrC fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Oct 1, 2009

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

What I'm curious about is, why, if Nintendo always had this ability to disable BootMii's boot2 or whatever, why was BootMii described as a defense that made your console "unbrickable"? Was it not known that Nintendo could/would do that? Or were BootMii's capabilities exaggerated or misunderstood?

Really glad the update on the TB:RB disc a few weeks ago was harmless and not 4.2, since I spent all of five seconds considering the risks before thinking "gently caress it it's the Beatles gotta do it now" and accepting the update.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Nintendo could always install their "own" copy of BootMii so to speak. What made other homebrew now unable to brick you was the fact that you could backup everything, and have a useful way to run code on the machine prior to the final boot process. No broken system menu or corrupt IOS could get in the way.

Technologically this is entire wrong mind you, but conceptually it's like burning a "live cd" operating system and then running your computer with that instead of what is on the computer normally. Your live cd will let you get at all the data, and even make copies or re-write it if you got a virus.

If you ever wanted to update your live cd, you could re-burn it of course; unfortunately, this system menu update "virus" simply guesses you had a live cd in the tray, and burns over it with their operating system again :(

compounded daily
Mar 29, 2007

:buddy:
Fun Shoe
It seems amidst all this excitement, nobody's noticed that Wii64 just got updated to Beta 1! It's a lot better than it was before, games like Mario 64 and Smash Bros. are completely playable now. I haven't checked a whole lot of games yet, but give it a shot!

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii64

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Evil Sock posted:

It seems amidst all this excitement, nobody's noticed that Wii64 just got updated to Beta 1! It's a lot better than it was before, games like Mario 64 and Smash Bros. are completely playable now. I haven't checked a whole lot of games yet, but give it a shot!

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii64

Yeah, I saw that. I'm glad it's finally out in a usable state. I was rather annoyed at the fact that they slapped a GPL label on it but kept everything private. Glad to see they're finally addressing it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I absentmindedly installed the new DVDX when HBC updated. Now mplayer can't read DVDs until it is updated. Either that or it doesn't like my futurama DVDs.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I am a bit confused. My friend gave me back his Wii (drat do I hate doing stuff for friends now) and it just stalls at USB LoaderGX. He said he went to play Beatles Rock Band and it happened since then. But how did it gently caress his Wii up if he swears he didn't update *and* I have "skip update check" enabled in PreLoader?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Milky_Sauce posted:

I am a bit confused. My friend gave me back his Wii (drat do I hate doing stuff for friends now) and it just stalls at USB LoaderGX. He said he went to play Beatles Rock Band and it happened since then. But how did it gently caress his Wii up if he swears he didn't update *and* I have "skip update check" enabled in PreLoader?

Your friend lied?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I don't use any USB or backup loaders so this might be irrelevant to your problem but the update on the Beatles disc didn't harm my homebrew in any way. I did have to disable Preloader's "skip update check" and accept it before the game would boot though.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

No Safe Word posted:

Your friend lied?

Is it confirmed "skip update check" works?? How the hell did he update then? I had preloader to not allow update checks.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Milky_Sauce posted:

...I have "skip update check" enabled in PreLoader?

"Skip update check" is for games that require you to update in order to play. It doesn't stop an update that you start manually. Your friend probably went into the shop channel and it made him update.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Bannerbomb has been updated to work on System Menu 4.2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
So the most straightforward way to update would be to just download the update and let it delete whatever homebrew it deletes and then just install the new HackMii thing via the new Bannerbomb fix? People are acting like 4.2 has been torn right open but there's still some loss of functionality, right? Will I still be able to install custom channels/WADs, for example?

Also, here is a compatibility list for Wii64. Has anyone tried it for themselves? I ask because the list says that Banjo-Kazzoie/Tooie run at almost full speed with no major glitches or anything which sounds pretty loving good for a first beta.

• Locked thread