Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
E1M5
Feb 6, 2007
Does anybody have any recommendations for VSTi's? I'm using FL Studio right now, and have been for about a year now. I've bought a couple of sample CDs that come with about 5000+ samples of drums, kicks, hits, and all that, and I've noticed a huge upgrade in sound quality compared to some other sets. All I really feel like I need now are higher quality synths and what not... unless you recommend I stick with sytrus, which I've been using for a while (but it's getting old, fast).

I'm still kind of new to this, I just have a way of finding what sounds good and throwing it together :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
What kind of sounds are you looking for?

What's your budget?

Why haven't you been downloading demo versions of everything already? :v:

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
If you've got the budget for it, NI komplete will sort you out for a VERY long time. To the point where you could be on your second album 5 years down the line before needing anything else.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
These days the only synth plugins I use are the DCAM Synth Squad.

http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=62&tab=181

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
I know I need to dither when I reduce the bit depth, but is there anything I need to consider when I do a reduction in sample rate for burning to CD?

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

These days the only synth plugins I use are the DCAM Synth Squad.

http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=62&tab=181

I was going to suggest this as well. Not only do they sound great, but between the three of them, a huge amount of sonic possibilities are covered.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
Oh lawd it's housey

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

mezzir posted:

Oh lawd it's housey

This is real cool. Reminds me of Force Inc. stuff. Lots of potential.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

E1M5 posted:

Does anybody have any recommendations for VSTi's?

Novation V-Station is a good one to look at. It's old, and doesn't have some of the fancier features of newer synths, but it sounds good and is very easy to use. There's also many great preset banks available, if that's your thing.

It's also really loving cheap.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

E1M5 posted:

Does anybody have any recommendations for VSTi's? I'm using FL Studio right now, and have been for about a year now. I've bought a couple of sample CDs that come with about 5000+ samples of drums, kicks, hits, and all that, and I've noticed a huge upgrade in sound quality compared to some other sets. All I really feel like I need now are higher quality synths and what not... unless you recommend I stick with sytrus, which I've been using for a while (but it's getting old, fast).

I'm still kind of new to this, I just have a way of finding what sounds good and throwing it together :downs:

I bought omnisphere about 2 months ago. It took me a little time to get used to making multis, but for modern poo poo nothing bests it. Maybe DCAM Synth Squad models better, but that layering, ridiculous multi-samples of all kinds of old synths seriously I use a sync sound from a prophet 5 that is the nastiest thing ever.

I would skip NI Komplete unless you understand synths decently. The GUI on all the native stuff always confused me at first. Then I got into FM and waveshaping. You will get many more things for your money with a deal on Komplete though. Guitar rig 3 and pro are both great for loving up synths and samples so think about how your effects are.
Guitar rig 3 has enevelopes,lfos, and step sequencers that can be made to control any knob on the whole program.

Maybe check out Gladiator 2 by tone 2 or Firebird. They are superb.

Also The guy who makes the awesome as gently caress memorymoon vsti just released a new virtual analogue vsti. Memorymoon loads soundfonts and is a nice memory moog emulation and its 30 bucks.
Messiah is his new synth. I believe its a prophet 5 emulation.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Rkelly posted:

I bought omnisphere about 2 months ago. It took me a little time to get used to making multis, but for modern poo poo nothing bests it. Maybe DCAM Synth Squad models better, but that layering, ridiculous multi-samples of all kinds of old synths seriously I use a sync sound from a prophet 5 that is the nastiest thing ever.

What's Omnisphere like for CPU usage? I run Logic 9 on a 2.4ghz C2D Macbook Pro with 4gb ram....would a single instance of Omnisphere eat all my resources?

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

moron posted:

What's Omnisphere like for CPU usage? I run Logic 9 on a 2.4ghz C2D Macbook Pro with 4gb ram....would a single instance of Omnisphere eat all my resources?

I use an e8400 3g C2D, and 4 gigs of ram. I get like 15 percent usage maybe 20, but thats with a couple drum racks and samplers. I get 30 percent with omnisphere, amplitube xgear, wizooverb running on a send, and a couple instance of urs channel strip pro.

I would say you would be straight. It is a little hungry on certain patches, but those are crazy preset designer patches not real useful for anything. The simple samples layered with FM and PWM and granular synthesis is badass enough for me.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

mezzir posted:

Oh lawd it's housey

Bass needs to be bassy-er. Kick needs to be slammy-er. But I like the chord progression quite a bit.

Run it through a French House Compressor and see how it sounds.

evilocity
Jul 6, 2004

a simple trap in a dark corner of the mind, and their nightmares catch up with them

cubicle gangster posted:

If you've got the budget for it, NI komplete will sort you out for a VERY long time. To the point where you could be on your second album 5 years down the line before needing anything else.

That's assuming you don't gently caress with Reaktor. If you get in deep with Reaktor, you might not come back the same.

If you really like synthesis and want to trade time for money, PureData has the potential to be all you need. Ever. It's free.

http://puredata.info/

Like Linux, assembler, and carpentry, it might be too much effort to be worth it for you. If you get into it, thought, things can get pretty crazy.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
I just read in NI's forums if you bought guitar rig 3 or Komplete 5 after july 1st you get an upgrade to guitar rig 4 pro for free.

gently caress YEAH!

Rkelly fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 5, 2009

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

new version of a song I posted earlier
Still really like it but I can't manage to get out of the last breakdown well, any ideas?
edit: newer version! (edit: again!)

mezzir fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 5, 2009

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.
I made a remix of Digital Love by Daft Punk, when ever I try to make music ala daft punk it always turns out pretty lovely because I don't produce that type of music. But I managed to get a really chillaxed vibe out of this one and went with it.

It's also 10 minutes long, I tried to make it not repetitive but I dunno.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/231310/digitalloveremix4.mp3

The last drop is sorta lame, any ideas for it, suggestions for the whole song?

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

mezzir posted:

new version of a song I posted earlier
Still really like it but I can't manage to get out of the last breakdown well, any ideas?
edit: newer version! (edit: again!)

This is pretty slick. I think if I was going to add something I would want another instrument that filled in the high register. Everything in the song sticks mainly in the low and mid ranges so I think adding some top end would help it progress a little more. That and the melody is pretty brooding and slow, so maybe add some melodic content in the end that pushes things forward a bit by using some sixteenth note syncopation, or by having a melody that moves upwards.

ProdigalSon
Sep 15, 2003
can anyone suggest any concise resources for learning Logic? I'm trying to find a way to learn the basics and get up and running quickly as opposed to reading a bible-length tome plodding through every detail.

mikrokosmos
May 11, 2004

Hopefully this is the right thread for this question:

I'm doing some covers in a 4-piece band context (I'm playing guitar) and in a couple of songs, some pretty central electronic stuff comes in about halfway through both of them. In a live context, am I going to have to quickly scramble for the laptop and start the sequences or is there a way I can just hit C1 or something on a keyboard controller to play back the stuff (which physically would be a much easier motion)?

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
You could set that up in about 30 seconds with Ableton, yeah.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I really really have no idea where this came from.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

stun runner posted:

You could set that up in about 30 seconds with Ableton, yeah.

from ableton being closed, to opening it assigning C1 and playing clip literally took me a hair under 45 seconds

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

Here are some songs I made on the Korg DS-10. I'm not a professional musician (which will probably be obvious) but I play the keyboard by ear and have a little background drumming and making mod music with ripped samples. I've been messing around with the DS10 for a few months now and I've found it fun and surprisingly easy to use, even with not much synthesizer experience.

I've been posting some of my songs on YouTube. Here are some of the better ones:

Complex - Dope (Original Version) (Other random remix)
A demo soundtrack that I learned how to play on the keyboard. There aren't enough tracks on the DS10 to fit this into a regular song, so I'm mixing it on the fly and playing the DS keyboard (I gently caress up a few times, but it sound okay.) This song has a long build up, and the main chorus starts 3 minutes into it.

Little Bitchard - Choose Zero Polys and Shaders (Original Version)
This is another demo soundtrack that I learned to play. You should listen to the original version or watch the demo if you haven't heard it. The guy that wrote the song apparently heard my remix and said he liked it. :c00lbert:

B.O.B. Level 2
This might be my personal favorite. This is from the B.O.B., the Genesis/SNES game with a gold colored robot guy. I always remembered the music in the underground levels sounding really cool, but it seems to be hard to find online for some reason. This is one of the rare songs where the Genesis version sounds better than the SNES version. I'm probably getting some of the notes wrong near the end, but I had fun making this one. It's also too big to fit into a normal song but is possible to play with live mixing.

Champinave
Jul 26, 2008
I just released my first trance / dance / electronica (?) LP, No Headphones Required. Check out this sample on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C70_63ZfO3k
If you like it, you can find more samples on CDBaby.

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

Champinave posted:

I just released my first trance / dance / electronica (?) LP, No Headphones Required. Check out this sample on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C70_63ZfO3k
If you like it, you can find more samples on CDBaby.

I don't know if you're looking for feedback or not, but IMHO the sound selection and leveling needs a do-over.
The bass sounds a bit too resonant for me. I don't know what you used for it, but I've heard great sounding basses come from the Virus, so that might be worth looking into.
The closed hihats and claps and kicks weren't too great either.
Also, I only skimmed through it, but there was this quiet part where only the bass was audible.
To be a bit more up-to-date, you could probably use some side-chaining, if only slight.
The track needs more bottom frequencies and a bit more mud, imho.

Feel free to join in on the discussion :P

E1M5
Feb 6, 2007
Thanks for the recommendations on VSTi's guys.

I've downloaded demos, as you recommended Yoozer. I'm loving Massive so far. Definitely considering buying it at this point.

The last question I have (for now anyway) - what are some reliable/good quality drum sample collections? Most of the kicks I have right now are a little too techno/club-esque sounding. Reasonably priced is better!

Thanks again for all of the help everybody.

orange octopus
Dec 1, 2006

hmm...interesting...

ProdigalSon posted:

can anyone suggest any concise resources for learning Logic? I'm trying to find a way to learn the basics and get up and running quickly as opposed to reading a bible-length tome plodding through every detail.

yes, i was in the same boat and then I found this site:
http://www.macprovideo.com

They have a bunch of DVDs that you can buy for $20-40, or you can subscribe for $25 per month and have access to the complete library which I did. I spent the last two weeks or so going through the "Logic 101: Core Logic" tutorial (which is about 7 hours long). It's excellent, very clear and easy to follow, and now I feel like I have a really solid grasp on the basics. When I have time I will delve into their more advanced stuff too.

ProdigalSon
Sep 15, 2003

orange octopus posted:

yes, i was in the same boat and then I found this site:
http://www.macprovideo.com

They have a bunch of DVDs that you can buy for $20-40, or you can subscribe for $25 per month and have access to the complete library which I did. I spent the last two weeks or so going through the "Logic 101: Core Logic" tutorial (which is about 7 hours long). It's excellent, very clear and easy to follow, and now I feel like I have a really solid grasp on the basics. When I have time I will delve into their more advanced stuff too.

thanks for this!

Champinave
Jul 26, 2008

The Fog posted:

I don't know if you're looking for feedback or not, but IMHO the sound selection and leveling needs a do-over.
The bass sounds a bit too resonant for me. I don't know what you used for it, but I've heard great sounding basses come from the Virus, so that might be worth looking into.
The closed hihats and claps and kicks weren't too great either.
Also, I only skimmed through it, but there was this quiet part where only the bass was audible.
To be a bit more up-to-date, you could probably use some side-chaining, if only slight.
The track needs more bottom frequencies and a bit more mud, imho.

Feel free to join in on the discussion :P

Hey thanks for the feedback.

The bass is actually from the "monologue" synth in Cubase 5, just a simple square synced with a triangle if I remember correctly. Is it the best sounding bass in the world? Naw, but as a challenge I wanted to make this track only using the VST's built into Cubase 5. Actually, the majority of the album is made only with those VST's. It explains the somewhat mediocre hats and clap; I have a copy of Stylus but I wanted to use the built in "grove agent", which samples were difficult to work with.

I'm not trying to explain my choice of mixing, but I really wanted this track to be about my vocalist. Therefore I chose to use simple sounds and no side-chaining to push the levels.

Well, the album is already printed :) so no going back now. It's totally a learning experience and I love it!

EDIT: If you want to listen to something I wrote that I feel is "modernly" produced, listen to the "No Headphones Required" sample about halfway through. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/torkingtonjohn

Champinave fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 10, 2009

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
http://soundcloud.com/stranger-song/screen

Just finished this up, not sure how it'd fit into a mix yet though.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/289353/untitled_minimal_thing.mp3

I made this the other day. I spent about 4-5 hours on it, then took a break, and when I tried to get back into it to tidy up the arrangement and bit and mix it down properly I found that the project file was corrupt. I was quite happy with it up until that point, so was a bit pissed off. Meh...live and learn, i guess.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

E1M5 posted:

Thanks for the recommendations on VSTi's guys.

I've downloaded demos, as you recommended Yoozer. I'm loving Massive so far. Definitely considering buying it at this point.

The last question I have (for now anyway) - what are some reliable/good quality drum sample collections? Most of the kicks I have right now are a little too techno/club-esque sounding. Reasonably priced is better!

Thanks again for all of the help everybody.

Seriously skim the last 10 pages you will find 20 suggestions.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

E1M5 posted:

Massive is nice and all, but it totally rapes your CPU. I'll use, at most, one instance of Massive per project....any more and my CPU meters start going into dangerous territory.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Aiight god drat. So apparently, the time when I'm the best at writing music is when I have a lot of other poo poo that I really really really should be doing. Econometrics problem set's deadline is looming, and I bang this out in <2 hours in starbucks earlier this evening:

Started as a remix of an MIA and someone else track for some remix competition but I need to get away from remixing so much and get more of a solo portfolio so this is without the vox. Thoughts?

edit: some of the drops really don't make sense w/o vocals so for the time being, here's the full version as well:

mezzir fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 12, 2009

candy bar
Jan 14, 2008

I don't know if this is the thread for this, and even making this track was probably a bad idea, but I'm trying to make some Black Dice-esque electronic noise music, and this is what I created.

Opinions?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

moron posted:

Massive is nice and all, but it totally rapes your CPU.

In that case, don't ever try Synth Squad :v:

I got 25% usage of 2-3 voices of Massive on my old computer. Right now it's 10% or so for 4-5 voices, but I'm not entirely sure; I still have to fix my W7 install so my Fireface works as intended (and if that fails, go back to XP).

shawn-lol
May 19, 2008

by angerbeet
I realize im late but great op bro

Meatsplosion
Oct 25, 2006

+3 Meat Elemental
Is anyone producing in Windows x64? How is the performance increase over x86? I'm thinking of making the switch to Windows 7 x64 (from Vista x86) on my desktop this week if it means I can squeeze a few more plugins into the mix. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Meatsplosion posted:

Is anyone producing in Windows x64? How is the performance increase over x86? I'm thinking of making the switch to Windows 7 x64 (from Vista x86) on my desktop this week if it means I can squeeze a few more plugins into the mix. :)

Currently on Win7 x64, fuckin love it but my only comparison right now is my 4 year old laptop running xp.
And I've never had any problems whatsoever maxing my cpu or anything even close.

edit:
just opened live and put in 8 instances of Massive, each playing every note from c2-c3 on some patch with several effects. Graphically it slowed a bit but the cpu meter never broke 67% and the audio was flawless.

mezzir fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 13, 2009

• Locked thread