Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientology
May 19, 2009

The evolution of knowledge is toward simplicity, not complexity.
I dunno, hopefully if that were to happen, they'd release the software into the wilds of the internet. For now I'm just playing it like it's a regular keyboard. Even without the ability to sync it to my computer, it's one hell of a machine.

edit: wow, also, their manual is full of incorrect information about the presets/etc way to go, Access.

Scientology fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 28, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Might want to e-mail Access and tell them what happened, they might take pity on you.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

stun runner posted:

Might want to e-mail Access and tell them what happened, they might take pity on you.

Probably not. That's starting to be a pretty common way to discourage purchasing used. It's happening a lot with video games nowadays.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Right, but unless their product is 20% less than a comparable, non-software locked used product, they're going to go out of buisness pretty quick once word gets out. What happens after the successor to Windows 7 comes out? What if they have Vista support, but Windows 7 SP1 breaks all compatibility? You now have a $250+ brick that lights up. At least with MIDI and usb MIDI compatible (etc) devices you know they'll always work in Win/Mac/Linux. I'm not a huge open source/standards advocate, but if you can't use your instrument 5 years down the road due to vendor lock in, that's going to hurt your resale value significantly (like, 90%+). I can't imagine this vendor shooting themselves in the foot like that.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004
That happened to me when I bought my Motif, I couldn't register it or download their special Cubase. I called Yamaha and they transferred the registration to me and gave me the remainder of the warranty, even though I bought it on ebay. Hopefully Access will be as awesome as Yamaha.

1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009

Hadlock posted:

That's a horribly broken business model. Surely you can email customer service and get the registration transferred? What happens when/if that company goes out of business? Your sweet gear now has $0 resale value?

It's still better than the M-Audio business model where you sell stuff that only has drivers for operating systems from five years ago. Speaking of $250 bricks that light up.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

1st Edition ADandD posted:

It's still better than the M-Audio business model where you sell stuff that only has drivers for operating systems from five years ago. Speaking of $250 bricks that light up.
Ridiculously, M-Audio still seems to be selling stuff with drivers only for windows XP and previous. XP actually came out in 2001.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Col.Kiwi posted:

Ridiculously, M-Audio still seems to be selling stuff with drivers only for windows XP and previous. XP actually came out in 2001.

That's a bigger list of companies than you'd think.

There are tons of high-ranking software/hardware companies who are just now catching up to 64-bit drivers, let alone modern OS support.

Edit: Unless you're a Mac user, drat them and their Core audio integrated architecture with inherently lower latency at the same performance levels and the ability to seamlessly create aggregate devices and basically being built for audio in a sensible way and arrrggghh Microsoft I know you're trying with WASAPI and all that but let's face it you got beat to the finish line with ASIO and you might as well just license the poo poo and make it deep and gently caress my life.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Sep 29, 2009

Scientology
May 19, 2009

The evolution of knowledge is toward simplicity, not complexity.
Yeah, I posted in their forum and the admin guy told me to talk to support. Still waiting to hear back from them, though.

Even if it doesn't work out, it's not going to be a huge loss. The Virus is still an awesome loving synth, I like it way better than the Little Phatty that it replaced. The manual is really well done, too. It actually educates, rather than just being full of information.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

+ right angle switchcraft plugs, george L .225 cable, 1/4 in jacks, and a small hammond enclosure

Powering and wiring up my board. Hoping to use it to clean up the cable runs I have going on right now, including a patch bay of sorts for effects loop/guitar input, etc. Once this is all put together Ill post it perhaps.

Indi86
Mar 6, 2007
The Jive Sucker
New toys:

It tracks really, really well. Also, it's replacing my ehx bass microsynth, which I was essentially using as a distorted octaver. If anybody might be looking for one, I'll be unloading mine. I'm also waiting on my new pedaltrain jr. and a dunlop power brick, but everybody has seen those before. When it's all setup pretty and such, I'll take a pic for the forum.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

An 8ft x 4ft x 23/32in piece of plywood. I'll be sure to keep you all posted.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I can tell by the wood grain, you will get a lot of tone out of that.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Cojawfee posted:

I can tell by the wood grain, you will get a lot of tone out of that.

great, because this is going to be the best fretless touchstyle cigar box guitar bass ever.

EDIT: vvvvv good point. vvvvv

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 30, 2009

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Quite possibly the largest, as well. Godspeed! :monocle:

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Indi86 posted:

Also, it's replacing my ehx bass microsynth, which I was essentially using as a distorted octaver. If anybody might be looking for one, I'll be unloading mine.
Drop me a line. Might be interested, depends on price. =)

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Gorilla Salsa posted:

23/32in
:psypop: Where did you buy this stuff that you need it down to the 32nd of an inch?

I am very curious to hear what your new plywood flugelhorn will sound like :)

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
My Korg KP3 was sold to make up 80% of the money needed for me to buy this :D

Kurzweil K2000 V3, Sampler expansion, Orchestral expansion, a small boost of RAM, all the original manuals and even the original box. When a synth comes in a cardboard box with nothing but the company name and info on it, you know it's serious poo poo.

I am in love with the sound of this thing, my god. And it's not even the triple strike grand piano sample I'm gay for. The sampling is nice and fast too (and high quality).

Just pondering what these XLR like three pin "digital" contacts are? It's got SPDIF optical. No idea that even existed back when this came out, very cool. The pitch & mod wheels are the best I have used, not the plastic touch which is crazily plasticy and artificial to the touch but the spring and the tactile feedback. Great key action too, and aftertouch.

(Approx 300€ + shipping. Kurzweil stuff is rare in Sweden. Still hunting for a K2600XS with full expansions, but now I don't know.)
(Only one previous owner - the guy who bought it on release for 3000€+. He couldn't figure out VAST so it sat in the box until this September, I feel sorry for him but I'm too happy to care, yaaaay!)

edit: VAST synthesis is brutal to learn and use but it's going to be satisfying to master. So powerful, a lot of potential, doing the tutorials in the manual really help out here. Wonder if I'll figure out how to make a simple saw bass tomorrow? That's how brutal it is.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 1, 2009

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

MrLonghair posted:

Kurzweil K2000 V3, Sampler expansion, Orchestral expansion, a small boost of RAM, all the original manuals and even the original box. When a synth comes in a cardboard box with nothing but the company name and info on it, you know it's serious poo poo.
Great find! As for figuring out VAST - yeah, that's not going to be that easy. But what you're saying is that it's basically in pristine condition?

quote:

Just pondering what these XLR like three pin "digital" contacts are?
AES/EBU.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Yoozer posted:

Great find! As for figuring out VAST - yeah, that's not going to be that easy. But what you're saying is that it's basically in pristine condition?

Going by the past owners words, it sat out in his studio for a year or two, rarely played, before shelving it. The state of the dust covering the top of one of the manuals is a clear sign of studio storage /CSI

AES/EBU feels kinda useless these days then. It's got stereo phono analogue in so sampling is taken care of, speaking of the whole sampler deal after a few more hours with it = Best sampler I have ever used. I gotta get a HD and more RAM!

e: Big problem. The last screw (right back of the bottom plate) sits deep and had a massacred thread from the start. Time to MacGuyver it out.
e2: Turns out you dont really, really need it out if you're just adding an expansion or upgrading the ram. lovely screws. Oddly enough, only four EDO slots in there, means 16x4's required to max it out. Can't see anywhere to mount an internal SCSI HD?

Computer Jones posted:

Get a screw extractor.

Before you, I didn't know they existed. Now I'm going to get a set, because I get bad screws too often. Maybe wolfram carbide screw bits were a bad idea.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 30, 2009

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

MrLonghair posted:

e: Big problem. The last screw (right back of the bottom plate) sits deep and had a massacred thread from the start. Time to MacGuyver it out.

Get a screw extractor.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Computer Jones posted:

Get a screw extractor.

Also called "ease-outs" if you are talking to a Hank Hill type.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I tell ya hwhat.

Bradley Headstone
Jul 4, 2008

hey ml, anyone have advice for me on this guy:

Click here for the full 602x708 image.

Otari mx5050 bii - 4, purchased via craigslist, is working good.
The guy who sold it to me was cool enough to throw in an 80s food processor he used to bake tapes.
I'm interested in
- best mics and mixers
- experiences using this as a direct recording device
- other hilarious anecdotes - I know I shoulda bought something more practical but drat

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
http://www.novationmusic.com/products/midi_controller/launchpad

:flashfap: $199 :flashfap:

Going to get this and an SL MKII and I think I will never want for buttons, nor keys, nor sliders, nor knobs.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I picked up an M Audio Pro 88 Keystation yesterday. So far I'm loving all the buttons, sliders, and dials. The thing works great with Ableton.

I can actually tear into the The Jazz Piano Book now too after waiting for months.

glennnyc
Sep 20, 2001
Recently got an Acoustic 204 4x12 guitar cab and Roland 4x12 guitar cab for ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS. gonna sell the acoustic to a friend to start off a 2x12 cabinet fund and give the other as a baby shower gift.

I literally could not resist. ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS. Both in great shape, both sound great. Thanks, CL.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."

Happy Hedonist posted:

I picked up an M Audio Pro 88 Keystation yesterday. So far I'm loving all the buttons, sliders, and dials. The thing works great with Ableton.

I can actually tear into the The Jazz Piano Book now too after waiting for months.

are you bothered at all by the pronounced sound of the hammers making contact? I bought a keystation because it was the cheapest thing with actually weighted keys only to realize over time that I disliked the noise the thing made. I'm curious if mine was just an older model and they fixed it?

Daughter
Jul 23, 2007

Babys first aluminum neck. Picked up a 70s Kramer 450g and it is heavy as a motherfucker. It also sustains like a motherfucker. Very cool guitar.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

negativeneil posted:

are you bothered at all by the pronounced sound of the hammers making contact? I bought a keystation because it was the cheapest thing with actually weighted keys only to realize over time that I disliked the noise the thing made. I'm curious if mine was just an older model and they fixed it?

I'm not so much bothered by the sound because I knew going into it how the thing actually felt and played. That said, it is loud and I can see how it would piss off actual piano players. I mostly bought it because it's the cheapest thing out there with weighted keys and lots of controls. I'm hoping next summer I can upgrade to an acoustic upright or a nice electric.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Capitan Dad posted:

Oh man, I miss owning a telecaster so much. Normally not a fan of bursts or rosewood fretboards on them but that just looks classy as hell

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha

Thorpe posted:

Oh man, I miss owning a telecaster so much. Normally not a fan of bursts or rosewood fretboards on them but that just looks classy as hell

this thing when it had a white pickguard was so freakin ugly.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Daughter posted:

Babys first aluminum neck. Picked up a 70s Kramer 450g and it is heavy as a motherfucker. It also sustains like a motherfucker. Very cool guitar.

That thing is so cool. There's one for sale locally but it has single coils and I'd hold out for one like yours

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I miss my telecaster and die a little every time someone posts a gorgeous one. I gave it to my oldest little sister last year when she turned 15, and I don't regret that for a second because she thinks I hung the moon and I like being the cool older brother, but I sooo sooo sooo want another tele :cry:

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Agreed posted:

I miss my telecaster and die a little every time someone posts a gorgeous one. I gave it to my oldest little sister last year when she turned 15, and I don't regret that for a second because she thinks I hung the moon and I like being the cool older brother, but I sooo sooo sooo want another tele :cry:

That's a very loving cool story. You sir, rock. I hope you get your new tele sooner than later.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I might talk to my pop about making one, he's got some pretty good lumber sitting around and it would cost less to buy what few tools he doesn't have that we'd need than it would to buy a new guitar outright. And that's a skill I have always wanted to have - I do all my own work on my guitars, but to be able to actually make one would be incredibly awesome. With all the information available on the net for free, templates and everything, I have faith that we could do it and it'd be a great story behind the instrument.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Agreed posted:

I might talk to my pop about making one, he's got some pretty good lumber sitting around and it would cost less to buy what few tools he doesn't have that we'd need than it would to buy a new guitar outright. And that's a skill I have always wanted to have - I do all my own work on my guitars, but to be able to actually make one would be incredibly awesome. With all the information available on the net for free, templates and everything, I have faith that we could do it and it'd be a great story behind the instrument.

I made a thread over in the DIY section about scratch building a guitar. It is a lot of work but not so much that it is impossible. I started off the same way doing all my own maintenance, then built a few parts guitars before jumping in on the scratch build.

If you get stuck there are plenty of forums that can walk you through most tough spots.
I like http://reranch.com/reranch/index.php
and http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/
There is a PDF file floating around the TDPRI site that has a scale drawing of a Telecaster body with all the dimensions and everything you just have to take it to kinkos or someplace with a large printer and stick it to some plywood or MDF and boom there is your template.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

On its way to me now. I'm looking forward to putting together some kinda shoegaze/dreampop stereo pedalboard with this, the DD-7, a Big Muff, and maybe the Boss DC-2 or a clone thereof. And a good hall reverb wouldn't hurt...

dancehall fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 4, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

1976 Fender Precision Bass