Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

farcry posted:

I did it to try to get black tendency and Mephistopheles to spawn. now the only npc's left are the critical ones and he still is not there :(

You're probably going to have to do some PvP, then. Also, Mephistopheles is female. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

Samurai Sanders posted:

How did you kill them by accident? If you hit someone once they will say "no stop what are you doing??" and that usually gets me to stop.

Well there was a knight (Ostrava) sitting there and I was low level and I was like, "Holy poo poo a knight lemme backstab him hehehehehe" and then I did, kicking him down off his ledge and into an army of enemies. I then realized he wasn't evil.

So I killed the enemies and whatever, until we came to a blue eyes (white dragon) knight. Ostrava starts taking him on, and I go to like double team the knight, and I accidentally backstab Ostrava again. He died.

As for the merchant, in 1-1 I accidentally hit him, and he got mad, because I thought he was an enemy and again, I wanted to get the jump on him. In 1-2 this happened again. In 1-3, I guess it was the final straw because I saw him sitting there and I went up and hit him and he started attacking so I killed him.

I didn't even realize he was the merchant dude until I read a FAQ saying he was sitting there in that room.

EDIT: I think I accidentally killed the filthy woman in world 5, as well, since she's not there anymore. It might be when I Rage of God'd the rat swarm.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Is it at all possible to get the PSN ID of the people you play with (or against?) in co-op/pvp? Basically I'm asking if I can expect any "u gay fagget noob" type messages making GBS threads up my inbox or not.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

J posted:

Is it at all possible to get the PSN ID of the people you play with (or against?) in co-op/pvp? Basically I'm asking if I can expect any "u gay fagget noob" type messages making GBS threads up my inbox or not.

Demon's Souls supports the Players Met function so yeah, expect the occasional hate mail if you're PvPing

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

J posted:

Someone killed me one time and then sent me a message saying "Sorry." That's it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Arcaeris posted:

Well there was a knight (Ostrava) sitting there and I was low level and I was like, "Holy poo poo a knight lemme backstab him hehehehehe" and then I did, kicking him down off his ledge and into an army of enemies. I then realized he wasn't evil.
Ha ha, now that you mention it, I did the exact same thing, except that he survived.

Boogat
Jan 5, 2006

Oh, I am serious. Look, this is my serious face.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Ha ha, now that you mention it, I did the exact same thing, except that he survived.

My first character I'm pretty sure I did the same thing. Didn't mean to get him killed, but it just happened lol.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Demon's Souls supports the Players Met function so yeah, expect the occasional hate mail if you're PvPing

I am suddenly fighting an overpowering urge to get the US version of DS

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I've never played a game like this before. I signed up for Gamefly just to give it a shot. I'll be back with my thoughts once it finally gets here.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I still have yet to triumph in a PvP encounter. TWICE I have double KO'd a black phantom (due to lag), but that doesn't count as a win for me.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

So will I be able to drive down to Best Buy and pick up a copy of this game today, or am I going to have to order it off of amazon?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So far this game is exactly what I have been expecting and I haven't even scratched the surface yet. I love the slow tactical combat. I'm stoked.

It's definitely hard as poo poo though.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

So will I be able to drive down to Best Buy and pick up a copy of this game today, or am I going to have to order it off of amazon?

Order from GameStop like I did. Their overnight shipping is $10 flat and always reliable.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
How extensive is magic in this game? I watched the gt review and it didnt show anything except some ice attack magic type stuff over and over. Can you summon creatures, level up spells etc?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
No no, none of that. There are relatively few spells, and most of them do radically different things than each other. You can only equip two or three of them at a time anyway.

Getting most of the good spells requires that you consume one of your precious, precious demon's souls, so you need to think very carefully about whether you will need it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
drat, I thought I could beat the game tonight, but it is not to be. I don't see how I can get past the blue dragon with my current long-range damage dealing ability.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
If by long range you mean that you are standing near the bottom of the stairs, then yea I wouldn't want to do it that way at all.

french lies
Apr 16, 2008
You know you can run past the fire, right? Just wait for the fire to start moving towards the left and make a dash for it. Once you're underneath it, taking down the dragon is a piece of cake.

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.

french lies posted:

You know you can run past the fire, right? Just wait for the fire to start moving towards the left and make a dash for it. Once you're underneath it, taking down the dragon is a piece of cake.

This. It is indeed a piece of cake, but it takes loving forever.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma

IntoTheNihil posted:

Order from GameStop like I did. Their overnight shipping is $10 flat and always reliable.

Amazon's release date shipping is 5.98 and the joining the ECA for free (The thread is in coupons) gives you 10% off all video games from Amazon for a year.

Item(s) Subtotal: $66.99
Shipping & Handling: $5.98
Promotion Applied: -$10.00
Promotion Applied: -$5.00
Promotion Applied: -$6.70
-----
Total Before Tax: $51.27
Estimated Tax: $0.00
-----
Grand Total: $51.27

I only buy from Amazon thanks to Coupons. Those game credits add up, i'm going to get Borderlands for 20 bucks I estimate because of the credits and ECA.

Edit: OH man the Gametrailer review is up and I want it even more. I kept myself in the dark about this game besides the pvp and that "it's hard" but the soundtrack sounds great and its cool that it shows what people are up to sometimes. 6pm can't come soon enough.

FearOfABlackKnob fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 6, 2009

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

So, Gametrailers video-review is in. Glowingly positive all round, except for one weird complaint. They seem to find the setting/environments generic? Compared to what, I wonder? Aside from the King's Field games, there's pretty much nothing else with this particular tone of pitch-black oppressive fantasy.

8.9/10

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Dominic White posted:

So, Gametrailers video-review is in. Glowingly positive all round, except for one weird complaint. They seem to find the setting/environments generic? Compared to what, I wonder? Aside from the King's Field games, there's pretty much nothing else with this particular tone of pitch-black oppressive fantasy.

8.9/10
Maybe they miss pastel colours, drunken, scottish dwarves and faggy elves?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Dominic White posted:

I would take the typical World of Warcraft setting as more generic than the Demon's Souls one.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah I really haven't seen castles done in games quite like Demon's Souls did. The overall design seems more European that most games that actually come out of Europe.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

I hope all the new players for the NA version play "blind" (no wiki/maps) like us early adopters of the Asian release because otherwise you're playing the game wrong.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

Promotion Applied: -$10.00
Promotion Applied: -$5.00
Promotion Applied: -$6.70

I only buy from Amazon thanks to Coupons. Those game credits add up, i'm going to get Borderlands for 20 bucks I estimate because of the credits and ECA.

ECA Forums posted:

**Amazon.com has asked us to remove the current batch of ECA member discount codes due to abuse issues related to a software exploit such as "stacking". They are reevaluating and will update us shortly on next steps and we'll update the benefit section and here on the forums. Don't worry the benefit will be back!**
Darn. I just signed up using the coupon and went to their forums to see this.

If it sounds too good to be true...

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Gyoru posted:

I hope all the new players for the NA version play "blind" (no wiki/maps) like us early adopters of the Asian release because otherwise you're playing the game wrong.

I bought the Deluxe Edition so it comes with that fancy strategy guide. I'm going to blindly play the game the first time. Then mess with maps and all that later.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma

Vinlaen posted:

Darn. I just signed up using the coupon and went to their forums to see this.

If it sounds too good to be true...

Read it wrong. My bad. Ugh I haven't preordered Borderlands or Dragon Age yet.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Here's a video from the old thread that sums up the Demon's Souls experience
http://dic.nicovideo.jp/v/nm6185488

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma

Gyoru posted:

Here's a video from the old thread that sums up the Demon's Souls experience
http://dic.nicovideo.jp/v/nm6185488

Does the protagonist have a permanent smile on his face though? The game would be hilarious if everyone was smiling with all the death.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Gyoru posted:

How much "hidden" stuff is there? Is it basically loot lists that people look up to see what to grind for all the special gear that takes forever to get anyway?

I am probably going to play blind myself, but if it turns out I am missing a ton of cool swanky pieces of lewt for only a modicum of effort, then I kind of at least want to use minimal outside sources. On the other hand, if it's going to involve a ton of tedious grinding for lucky drops, then I'd be happier about doing that on a repeat playthrough with guides.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Tons

And yes, you'll miss a lot of goodies

But all of us made it through just fine without it, and it leaves lots of fun stuff to find on subsequent playthroughs

If you cheat and find all that early, it makes the game easier and takes away from the feeling of discovery

Plus you're a horrible person :colbert:

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
I have a question about the "visions" for lack of better word in the game. You know when you see the ghosts of other players doing stuff. Do you get to see their names too?

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

I have a question about the "visions" for lack of better word in the game. You know when you see the ghosts of other players doing stuff. Do you get to see their names too?

No. That would be good though.

Raptop
Sep 3, 2004
not queer for western digital

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

Nope. It is completely anonymous. And slightly time shifted I think.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

Rascyc posted:

How much "hidden" stuff is there? Is it basically loot lists that people look up to see what to grind for all the special gear that takes forever to get anyway?

There are a lot of items and stuff just laying around, of varying quality. Some are very good (Crescent Falchion +1) and some are lame (Mail Breaker) but if you explore everything thoroughly and look for glowing spots (items) you should be fine.

Nothing you can find is game breaking, just might save you a little time or effort instead of making it yourself. The cool stuff that is really useful (Ring of Magical Sharpness, Kris Knife, Cling Ring, etc.) are really eays to find.

PS if you don't pick a class that starts with the Talisman of God or a Catalyst, it might be a while before you can even cast a spell/miracle.

sarr
Mar 24, 2008

Praise the Sun!
Is the NA version gonna stay completely NA or are they releasing this in Europe at some point? The OP seems to be a bit dated.

Just need to know if I should import the NA version :v:

e: some googling shows a Europe version isn't very likely in the foreseeable future so I guess I'll just import the NA version!

sarr fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 6, 2009

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.

sarr posted:

Is the NA version gonna stay completely NA or are they releasing this in Europe at some point? The OP seems to be a bit dated.

Just need to know if I should import the NA version :v:

e: some googling shows a Europe version isn't very likely in the foreseeable future so I guess I'll just import the NA version!

As always we in Europe are being hosed over. That's why I imported the Asian version, but if you can get it cheaper in NA by all means import it from there.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
You can get a basic Catalyst in 1-2 and the Kris Knife in 2-1, all you need is to raise your stats and you can start casting Spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Atlus don't have a european wing, which is a major problem. They outsource their stuff to Koei sometimes, but generally speaking, if you want to play any Atlus-published game, you have to import.

Thank gently caress that the PS3 is region-free, as their 360 games are forever locked out for me.

• Locked thread