Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Goddamnit Demon's souls got delayed at the border for another day or two, at least for me (ontario).

Curse Canada, its majestic beauty and its slightly longer wait time for videogames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma

Vinlaen posted:

Oh, I've seen some videos and I knew about the ghost thing, but I thought that on top of that you could actually group up with other people.

Maybe I don't understand the multiplayer as well as I thought I had, doh.

You can, I'm just playing the tutorial so i'm seeing other people walk around and stuff.

Edit: For example a bloodstain popped up in the Nexus and I just saw someone die to first dude you talk there. Hilarious.

FearOfABlackKnob fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 6, 2009

Xenpo
Feb 20, 2009
I preordered the Collector's Edition from Newegg and it didn't ship today. I called them and they ran out of their first-run stock of that edition. Here's to hoping they restock the Collector's Edition. Anyone else run in to this issue?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gyoru posted:

Nobody should start out as the Knight or any other heavily armored class. Mobility is king in this game.

Actually, Temple Knight is my favorite start due to that lovely halberd they start with. Once you learn to put that reach to good use you don't have much trouble dodging stuff.

JellyDonut
Feb 1, 2001

oh shi
Just got my Deluxe Edition from Amazon. I'm once again impressed with the quality of Atlus's packaging. The box is solid, not just some flimsy paperboard sleeve. The pre-order artbook & soundtrack look nice too. Now to play the game.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Xenpo posted:

I preordered the Collector's Edition from Newegg and it didn't ship today. I called them and they ran out of their first-run stock of that edition. Here's to hoping they restock the Collector's Edition. Anyone else run in to this issue?
Try Amazon maybe? It didn't say they were out of stock when I ordered it a few hours ago so hopefully it does ship today.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
Is there any point to smashing all the crates and stuff or should I stop obsessively doing it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

Is there any point to smashing all the crates and stuff or should I stop obsessively doing it.

As far as I know, I've never found anything of use in the crates in the 200+ hours I spent playing this game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

There aren't any power-ups in any of them, if that's what you mean. All power-ups are marked by a yellow light.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

There's like... a tiny handful of minor items and maybe one or two fairly obvious routes behind debris

also rofl@powerups

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I guess I'm just old-fashioned in my terminology...

edit: so the West and East are going to be separate for ever on the online system? Laaame.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

You can clear rooms of furniture if you plan to draw an enemy into it so you don't get stuck on a chair or something. Other than that, sometimes there's stuff hidden behind things, but you can usually see it pretty well without destroying stuff.

I also do this...a lot. And now I have to play some more because you all got me thinking about it again with this post explosion in the thread.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

There's a place in 2-1 where you can break some poo poo to find a minor shortcut and some loot, but that's about it.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

dis astranagant posted:

Actually, Temple Knight is my favorite start due to that lovely halberd they start with. Once you learn to put that reach to good use you don't have much trouble dodging stuff.

I was going to say something like this. Both knight and templar knight are good starting classes provided you use their advantages properly. Templar knight you covered, knight also has a 100% shield which if you use them properly are great tools for more cautious players, and the heavy armor does a lot to reduce damage taken when you do gently caress up; besides you can always take parts of the armor off and roll around.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 6, 2009

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I've died a billion times on the Demons with the Blue or Red eyes. What's up with them :(

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

At what point is it a good to use my nexus return item? I just started a little more than hour ago, I am in pretty good shape and I have around 2000 souls and plenty of health. Should I just keep trucking or should I cash them out before I die and lose them?

Also, if I go back to the nexus without dying all of the enemies will still respawn right?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

The official NA wiki just went live
http://www.demons-souls.com/wiki/

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Darknight630 posted:

I've died a billion times on the Demons with the Blue or Red eyes. What's up with them :(

Real Demon's Souls starts now.

Avoid Redeye for now. If you're playing a straight up melee class spend some time just dodging the blue eyed one till you learn to read him.

NESguerilla posted:

At what point is it a good to use my nexus return item? I just started a little more than hour ago, I am in pretty good shape and I have around 2000 souls and plenty of health. Should I just keep trucking or should I cash them out before I die and lose them?

Also, if I go back to the nexus without dying all of the enemies will still respawn right?

Don't use it, you'll lose your souls. Yes, everything respawns when you die or leave the level.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

Gyoru posted:

Nobody should start out as the Knight or any other heavily armored class. Mobility is king in this game.

This isn't necessarily true. I started out as a Knight and didn't dump the Fluted Armor (for the Binded Cross) until like soul level 60. You certainly do roll and move faster, but it's not so bad.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Hamburger Test posted:

Avoid Redeye for now. If you're playing a straight up melee class spend some time just dodging the blue eyed one till you learn to read him.

Don't use it, you'll lose your souls. Yes, everything respawns when you die or leave the level.

I have to go back and get my body by the Red eyed Knight, I'll run back and try my hand with the blue eyed one.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

Darknight630 posted:

I have to go back and get my body by the Red eyed Knight, I'll run back and try my hand with the blue eyed one.

I think 1-1 has 3 blue-eye knights?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Gyoru posted:

The official NA wiki just went live
http://www.demons-souls.com/wiki/

Well that's nice of them.

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

Sweet physics make breaking poo poo fun. :v:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The Blue-Eye Knights can easily be counter-attacked, you just have to time it properly.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Yodzilla posted:

Sweet physics make breaking poo poo fun. :v:
And if you have a Dragon weapon the pieces start on fire!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hamburger Test posted:

You lose your souls if you use it?! So its just basically a suicide item?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

You lose your souls if you use it?! So its just basically a suicide item?

It preserves your body, if you have one. Bodies are expensive, so if you've only got a handfull of souls, it's often best to use it to bail out to preserve your investment. Nothing worse than dying and losing another body over just a couple thousand souls.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Dominic White posted:

It preserves your body, if you have one. Bodies are expensive, so if you've only got a handfull of souls, it's often best to use it to bail out to preserve your investment. Nothing worse than dying and losing another body over just a couple thousand souls.
Meh, the only time you should really care about having a body is if you're mucking with white world tendency. And there you should have two Blue Phantoms to help you out.

Then again, you probably shouldn't be worried about white tendency on the first playthrough anyway. I don't think it's really possible to do right if you're just learning the game.

Speaking of world tendency: Did they fix the tendency reset bug? I've been out of the loop for a while.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dominic White posted:

Ah, I am still on the first level. I haven't even really figured out how to get my body back yet.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

NESguerilla posted:

Ah, I am still on the first level. I haven't even really figured out how to get my body back yet.

Don't worry about it on the first level. Just make sure to pick up the Cling Ring so that your Soul form has a bit more HP.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Xenpo posted:

Maybe, all I know is it hadn't shipped yet so I cancelled and ordered from Amazon. Good thing I did because I only just made the cutoff for them to be able to get it to me tomorrow. It was also $15 cheaper or so for 1-day.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

You don't actually have to swing at crates to destroy them. You can just forward roll into 90% of the "obstacles" in the game and break them that way.

This has two advantages: you don't lose durability on your weapons, and you don't accidentally fall off of poo poo because of a large attack animation. There are some narrow, jar-filled ledges in this game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm stuck on 5-5 and I am wondering, at level 75, am I too high a level to be doing this, or too low? I want to join someone else's game via a soulsign but no one picks me up, and there aren't very many white ghosts going through...

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm stuck on 5-5 and I am wondering, at level 75, am I too high a level to be doing this, or too low? I want to join someone else's game via a soulsign but no one picks me up, and there aren't very many white ghosts going through...

The game thins out in general once you pass 70ish, since that's pretty much time to finish normal.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Samurai Sanders posted:

5-5? What world is that?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Is there a way to store souls? I don't like losing all of them when I die :( I didn't see the option at the storage dude.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Overbite posted:

Is there a way to store souls? I don't like losing all of them when I die :( I didn't see the option at the storage dude.

Spend em. You should be pretty much spending everything you have whenever you get back to the Nexus.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

The game thins out in general once you pass 70ish, since that's pretty much time to finish normal.

I still haven't finished the game - last level is all that's left - and I'm at least level 100. Huh.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
So I'm still at the beginning. I haven't done much at all or gotten to the "real demon souls" but I kind of regret being a magic user because its just one button to push, I was wondering if it gets more intense for them or if I can be a magic/physical character as well (I haven't been able to level up yet so that shows you how far i've gotten) I'm just worried if I train the way I'd like to train I'm going to gimp my character and have to restart ALL over again once i'm like level 80 or something.

I've only died twice. Once in the tutorial where you have to and another time after you save the guy that gives you the telescope. You see I walked into the fire. Because games very often don't care if you walk into a fire.

Not Demon's Souls. Lesson learned.

FearOfABlackKnob fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 6, 2009

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Can anyone do a quick rundown of the various starting classes and what you can expect if you decide to go with them? I know that as you get higher up in the levels, the classes don't really matter and you can make your guy whatever you want anyways, but for someone starting out the game for the first time, they probably do make a difference in the early part of the game.

I really want to do a melee character, not like a "stab you in the back Rogue" but more like a knight that can roll and dodge well, but I hear Knight and Templar Knight classes aren't too good in the mobility department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
What about the red eyed demon in the first area? He's killing me so easy and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be able to get past him yet.

• Locked thread