Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
french lies
Apr 16, 2008

Rascyc posted:

Is there any point to playing the game in body form, or is it mostly for the tendency special things?

Still waiting for my game to arrive, sadly.
Playing in body form lets you summon two players for help (but also leaves you open to being invaded), increases XP gained from killing bosses and gives you greater freedom in choosing what rings to wear. It's not a massive difference but it's there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
When you die as a Body you also change the World Tendency, meaning that things become slightly harder when you try it again as a Soul.

The World Tendency mechanics are a pain, so don't worry about it, but if you could one- or two-shot some enemies in Body Form but die and then suddenly can't, that's why. The guys in 4-2 can take varying numbers (2-3-4) of arrows because of this.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

So I just picked up this game last night and I absolutely love it. I was interested in this a couple months ago, and now that I finally have my hands on it it's exactly the kind of game I've been looking for. :swoon:

So I started off as a Thief. I like to used Daggers, be sneaky, and have a ton of drops. So far it's worked out great, I actually haven't died to a single enemy, but instead only got killed by the Dragon breathing fire on the bridge since I didnt know it was coming and the Tower Knight almost instantaneously since I just stood there like an idiot and took a swing to the face in 1-2. Definitly planning on continuing my Thief Dagger roots all the way through, despite how hard it might end up becoming.

So I got a couple of questions in regards to my Future Thief career;

1) Are Daggers at all viable as a weapon to use in the long run? I noticed there's only 4 to choose from based on the wiki... leads me to the assumption that they aren't worth it. (But I love them and have been doing so well with them :( ) Or maybe there is more than 4?
2) Is it better to focus on raising my Dexterity, my Strength, or a Mixture of Both in order to maximize my Dagger damage? I figure with Dexterity I could even use Bows on my Thief often.
3) Which is the better dagger to use as main-hand damage? The Secret Dagger or the Baby's nail... I can't tell if the Poison DoT from Baby's Nail is much better than the raw damage from the Secret Dagger
4) are there any spells which I should be learning as a necessity? I think I heard somewhere that as a Thief Soul Arrow becomes really important or something? Unsure if my memory is just messing with me...
5) Maybe I missed it somewhere... but do Daggers have bonus damage or advantages on Backstabs and Parry Ripostes? Despite the MMORPG Trend for Daggers, I get the feeling that in this game Daggers dont have any advantages on backstabs... but I asked my friend off-hand what his damage on Backstabs were with his 1-hander and he says around 150, when I was doing usually 250+ with them.
6) Any other advice is much appreciated

Happy Blue Cow fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 7, 2009

Project Oni
Oct 19, 2007
Fanclub is full

gibbed posted:

If your character "thunks" on the ground and the controller vibrates hard when rolling, you're not doing the lightweight roll.

Lol, oh. I just thought they made a really funny roll animation. It looks like a badly exaggerated slip and fall. Looks really funny down going some steps too.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."

Dominic White posted:

Bah, this is devolution of the genre, but in the best possible way. It's a sequel in everything but name to FROM Softwares old (and universally loathed for most of the reasons that Demon's Souls is loved) King's Field series. In fact, that's how it got started. Someone from Sony Japan asked FROM if they had any plans to do a next-gen King's Field. And they did. And it rocked.

True enough, good point. Games like Etrian Odyssey or various other new age dungeon crawlers which are popping up like The Dark Spire, prove that the genre need not be abandoned for 3rd person solo action.

There is so much more they could do with Demon's Souls. I'd like to see a working NPC party combat system, longer maze-like levels without such an easily reachable hub that the Nexus is. For a game that captures the feeling of isolation so well (in offline mode anyways)it felt too easy to get back to safety. Nit picky, but whatever. For a first stab at something new, FROM Software did a drat fine job I'd say.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

Baroque posted:

2) Is it better to focus on raising my Dexterity, my Strength, or a Mixture of Both in order to maximize my Dagger damage? I figure with Dexterity I could even use Bows on my Thief often.

Each weapon will tell you which stats are for it. Go into the inventory screen and look at the weapon. Next to each Stat that the item receives a bonus from, there will be a letter. E<D<C<B<A<S. Any stat without a letter does not confer a bonus to the weapon.

So if it's DEX E, it might take 5 DEX points to add 1 attack power. DEX S might add like 7 attack power for 1 DEX. It's hard to tell, and sometimes even if the letter doesn't change the bonus does.

Crescent is recommend for magic users, for example, since it has like A for Magic stat. So even with high strength, the weapon is getting all its bonus damage from how high the Magic stat is.

EDIT: The modifiers like Quality, Crushing, etc. primarily change how the weapons get damage bonuses. You'd have to look at the wiki for this, but here's some tips:

1) Dragon weapons receive no damage bonuses from stats. The damage is fixed based on what rank (+1-5) it is.
2) Viscous is great for bows for you because it's all Dex bonuses. Spiderstones can be a pain to find, though.

Arcaeris fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 7, 2009

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Baroque posted:

1) Are Daggers at all viable as a weapon to use in the long run? I noticed there's only 4 to choose from based on the wiki... leads me to the assumption that they aren't worth it. (But I love them and have been doing so well with them :( ) Or maybe there is more than 4?
Daggers don't do much damage but do get the largest bonus to damage from backstabs and ripostes. Daggers are viable as long as your good at dodging /parrying. If you looks through all the weapons on the wiki, you'll notice that there's several weapon types with only around 4 or so weapons. you don't replace your weapons very often in this game, mostly you'll be upgrading the ones you have.

Baroque posted:

Daggers get more bonus damage from dex than str

Baroque posted:

3) Which is the better dagger to use as main-hand damage? The Secret Dagger or the Baby's nail... I can't tell if the Poison DoT from Baby's Nail is much better than the raw damage from the Secret Dagger.
the babies nail doesn't do poison, it does plague which is much better IMO. plague cuts in half stamina regen, poison cuts in half healing. A fully upgraded babies nail only does 7 damage a second. IMO you should have it equipped in the same hand as the secret dagger. hit the enemy till they are plagued, then switch it out with the secret dagger.

Baroque posted:

4) are there any spells which I should be learning as a necessity? I think I heard somewhere that as a Thief Soul Arrow becomes really important or something? Unsure if my memory is just messing with me...
There are lots of great spells and miracles useful for any class, with magic you can cast total protection which friggin rocks and would be very useful to a thief style character against bosses as it severely cuts the damage you take. you can also enchant your weapons and such and cast hide which makes lets you get closer to enemies before they notice you(not sure if this stacks with the thief ring). for miracles you can heal yourself and cure status effects.

Baroque posted:

5) Maybe I missed it somewhere... but do Daggers have bonus damage or advantages on Backstabs and Parry Ripostes? Despite the MMORPG Trend for Daggers, I get the feeling that in this game Daggers dont have any advantages on backstabs... but I asked my friend off-hand what his damage on Backstabs were with his 1-hander and he says around 150, when I was doing usually 250+ with them.

daggers get a massive bonus to backstabs and ripostes. daggers can also be upgraded to fatal daggers with pulpstones(you find them from the two kinds of bugs in the 5th level) which increases backstab and riposte damage even more but lowers raw damage. a fully upgraded fatal secret dagger can do retarded damage on ripostes(these are better than backstabs)

Baroque posted:

6) Any other advice is much appreciated

It would probably be a good idea to also carry a 1handed sword or something to deal with enemies that are immune to backstabs/ripostes because it would just be tiresome whittling away at huge guy's hp with a low damage dagger. Or if you dont want to use those, a good old bow could always do the trick. remember that bows can only be used two handed and when you twohand a weapon, your str is multiplied by 1.5 so if a bows str requirement is 18, you really only need 12 str to use it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

A good secondary weapon is a firebranded weapon - a good dragon longsword or mace does high, consistent damage throughout your first playthrough, and its easy to use. They lose their luster at higher levels, because they gain no stat modifications, but they're great secondary weapons early on.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Baroque posted:

So I got a couple of questions in regards to my Future Thief career;

1) If it doesn't break your concept too much, you might take a look at the rapier-type weapons. That'l give you some more options and get you a little bit more reach, which is always useful. Even if you're primarily a dagger guy you'll definitely want some backup weapons for certain situations (e.g. fire damage, magic damage, blunt damage, etc).

3) Baby's Nail is going to take Colorless Demon's Souls to upgrade (of which there are only 5 in the game per playthrough). I'd say go for the secret dagger (though you'll probably have to farm one in 1-3) and upgrade it along whatever your preferred path is.

4) Really just get anything that looks good. I tend to like having Heal and Evacuate on me at all times, but YMMV. Soul Light is good to have if you're not doing any magic damage with your weapon and for certain bosses/enemies.

5) That's what the "increases critical damage" thing means on those weapons. If you're really into backstabbing you could upgrade along the Fatal path for an even higher crit multiplier. Haven't actually tried this myself though. I wanted a Fatal+5 Secret Dagger for PVP but never got around to farming up the dagger.

Best of luck to you. I generally start off as a thief as well, but I've never stayed very thiefy. Having a longer reach with a good 2-hander is just too useful.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

victrix posted:

A good secondary weapon is a firebranded weapon - a good dragon longsword or mace does high, consistent damage throughout your first playthrough, and its easy to use. They lose their luster at higher levels, because they gain no stat modifications, but they're great secondary weapons early on.
Yeah, I used a dragon longsword +4 for maybe 3/4 of the game, only when I got the blue blood sword and the stats to use it did I have something that consistently beat it in damage output.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I used a dragon longsword +4 for maybe 3/4 of the game, only when I got the blue blood sword and the stats to use it did I have something that consistently beat it in damage output.
As an added bonus, a decent number of enemies get stunned for a second when they start on fire. So do other players.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
Oh man now I want to try a dual-wielding thief. You can have more than 1 character right? I don't want it to erase the character I have now.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

ImpactVector posted:

3) Baby's Nail is going to take Colorless Demon's Souls to upgrade (of which there are only 5 in the game per playthrough). I'd say go for the secret dagger (though you'll probably have to farm one in 1-3) and upgrade it along whatever your preferred path is.

actually there's 10, 2 from assasination quests from mephistopheles, 2 from trading the crow in 4-1 a golden mask and a talisman of god, 1 near executioner miralda in 1-1 and 1 from killing primeval demons which appear when you have pure black world tendency in 1-3, 2-1, 3-2, 4-2, and 5-2

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

Oh man now I want to try a dual-wielding thief. You can have more than 1 character right? I don't want it to erase the character I have now.

Yeah you can have a bunch of characters to play around with. That's half the fun actually.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
How much does dual wielding really improve damage output? I couldn't tell the few times I tried it out.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Arcaeris posted:

Each weapon will tell you which stats are for it. Go into the inventory screen and look at the weapon. Next to each Stat that the item receives a bonus from, there will be a letter. E<D<C<B<A<S. Any stat without a letter does not confer a bonus to the weapon.

There are variations within letters, though, so, for example one S may not give the same bonus as a different S.

LemonAIDS posted:

Daggers don't do much damage but do get the largest bonus to damage from backstabs and ripostes. Daggers are viable as long as your good at dodging /parrying.

Daggers also have the widest backstab radius, so it's much easier to do that with them as opposed to, say, a club. Though it is fun to backstab things with your fists, even if it's a pain to do. :v:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

How much does dual wielding really improve damage output? I couldn't tell the few times I tried it out.

It doesn't really, just gives you an alternative attack pattern

Now, you can offhand the parrying dagger, which works really well for riposting, and it's what I used in my offhand for my dw thief. Riposting and gut stabbing enemies never, ever gets old

edit: it's also useful for having two different damage types on hand

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah you can have a bunch of characters to play around with. That's half the fun actually.

:woop: I'm going to try them all. I really hope my idea for a thief fits the D&Dish version I have in my head.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
How do I get past the last part of the bridge? I can't shoot arrows at them because they don't reach and if I move up the dragon gets me. If I run straight at them they swarm me or the dragon gets me there too.

This game and my play style do not mix at all.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Overbite posted:

How do I get past the last part of the bridge? I can't shoot arrows at them because they don't reach and if I move up the dragon gets me. If I run straight at them they swarm me or the dragon gets me there too.

Run across as soon as the dragon starts his pass, and keep running straight up to the group of 3 archers and kill them as fast as you can before the blue knight gets close, a wide swinging weapon like the bastard sword helps.

EvilUrchin
Jun 13, 2007

Sigmar's Fist: 5 Star Crash Rating

Jarrik posted:

-wondered why there were bloodstains in the Nexus, realized that players were jumping to their deaths. I mocked this and of course I fell and died.

Actually, there is a decent chance most of those bloodstains are from intentional suicides. When you're loving around with world tendency, its generally a good idea to kill yourself in the Nexus if you find yourself back in body form so you don't gently caress up whatever stage in the tendency process you happen to be in.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

LemonAIDS posted:

Run across as soon as the dragon starts his pass, and keep running straight up to the group of 3 archers and kill them as fast as you can before the blue knight gets close, a wide swinging weapon like the bastard sword helps.

I can't equip any big weapons like that. I started as a thief and the only things I found that I can use are the scimitar, wing spear, and a bow.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma

Overbite posted:

There's a point on the end of the bridge where the dragon won't attack, it's a bit tricky, but its kind of where the archers begin. I remember rolling when I got up close to them and immediately soul arrowing the poo poo out of them, then the blue knight came hit me, and almost killed me until some dude loving recommended my message and I got my health back which gave me enough time to eat a herb and beat his rear end.

I wish I could thank that person.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Overbite posted:

I can't equip any big weapons like that. I started as a thief and the only things I found that I can use are the scimitar, wing spear, and a bow.

a scimitar would work, it has a wide swing. if your having too much trouble you don't have to do that level. after you beat phalanx you can do whatever level you want

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Overbite posted:

That part is a real bitch for some weapon/stat combinations. Just go do 2-x and 3-x in the meantime. They're pretty easy-ish.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Oh wow, thanks for the awesome and speedy responses. Exactly what I needed to know.

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

Yea, I'm totally psyched for my dual-wielding Thief. I'll shoot for having a Paring Dagger (Increased Parry window of opportunity) in my left hand, and a Secret Dagger in my right hand. :D Also plan on carrying a Shield for Arrows/Whatnot, and another Weapon type for enemies strong to piercing/slashing.

french lies
Apr 16, 2008
Just a general question, I've been trying in vain to find the music that plays during the character creation process and on the character selection screen. I've gone through a few playlists on Youtube and they seem to have every piece but this one. Can anyone help? :(

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

french lies posted:

Just a general question, I've been trying in vain to find the music that plays during the character creation process and on the character selection screen. I've gone through a few playlists on Youtube and they seem to have every piece but this one. Can anyone help? :(

Maybe I can just rip the Soundtrack CD for you or something? It could be on there.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

the character I'm playing through the game now is a caster and I'm having a great time duel wielding. In my main hand I have the kris knife which boosts magic damage(but lowers my magic resist) and my catalyst in my offhand. When I run low on MP i swap my kris knife out for my +3 crescent falchion which gives me a nice passive MP regen.

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.

Overbite posted:

Charge them then roll, roll, roooollll until you're out of the dragon's fire range.

edit: Oh, sorry if you're talking 1-2: Run and keep as far to the right as possible. You should come up against a cart. If you wedge yourself into the right side of the cart, the arrows won't hit and you can take some herbs, and then begin blocking and stabbing each archer in turn (quickly) before the blue knight gets there.

For him, you've got some options:

1. If you're feeling brave, lure him into attacking and roll away then run behind for the backstab.

2. Lure him into a chase, time it well so you can run back down the bridge whilst he gets roasted by the dragon.

3. Roll past and run like a maniac until you reach the fog (past yet another knight) for the boss.

Aries fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 7, 2009

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

french lies posted:

The Winged Spear is an amazing weapon, if you learn how to use it well you will tear through almost anything the game throws at you.

Any advice on how I should be using it? Right now I'm just kinda keeping the shield up to absorb the first attack, then poking them with the spear with the shield still raised. Anyone who's a pro with spears wanna give me some pointers?

Also, I'm currently in Body Form, but I hear dying in Body Form can mess up World Tendency, so I was wondering if it might be a good idea to just kill myself in the Nexus to avoid having to deal with that in case I wanna go for Pure White or somesuch later down the line...

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Aries posted:

Charge them then roll, roll, roooollll until you're out of the dragon's fire range.

Or just kill the dragon. It doesn't come back. :ssh:

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.

Kreeblah posted:

Or just kill the dragon. It doesn't come back. :ssh:

This too, but goddamn if you're low-level (I suspect you are), this could literally take 30 minutes or more.

See my edited post above for tactics in taking on the archers and knights.

edit: qbert - if you want pure white tendency, never load any world in body form, always go in spirit.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

qbert posted:

Any advice on how I should be using it? Right now I'm just kinda keeping the shield up to absorb the first attack, then poking them with the spear with the shield still raised. Anyone who's a pro with spears wanna give me some pointers?

Also, I'm currently in Body Form, but I hear dying in Body Form can mess up World Tendency, so I was wondering if it might be a good idea to just kill myself in the Nexus to avoid having to deal with that in case I wanna go for Pure White or somesuch later down the line...

Spears can be great but you have to watch out for shields as they cause a little recoil if you hit a shield with them, they also do next to no stamina damage when they are blocked. They are very easy to parry too. If the enemy doesn't have a shield your golden tho, just keep poking and keep enemies at a distance. Try to lure them into tight hallways where your weapon will rock because if they have a big weapon it will be bouncing off walls and make it harder for them to dodge your pokes.

I always suicide in the nexus as it makes getting pure white(which snags you great treasures) a lot easier and faster.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Overbite posted:

A lot of the advice posted above should be helpful here, but one thing I would add is that you don't have to fight those two blue eye knights who are just after the archers in that last section. Just sprint past where the dragon breathes fire, catch your breath behind that cart on the right side of the path, quickly kill the archers, and then sprint past the two blue eye knights. After them is a fog door that they cannot follow you through, so you don't need to fight them, and you should be able to get past them without taking much damage.

Alternatively, try out other X-1 levels, like, say, 4-1, where you can pick up the Crescent Falchion +1 early on, which is pretty awesome with its additional magic damage effect.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

McCoy Pauley posted:

Alternatively, try out other X-1 levels, like, say, 4-1, where you can pick up the Crescent Falchion +1 early on, which is pretty awesome with its additional magic damage effect.

I usually try to avoid the crecent falchion +1 till I've beaten a few bosses. It's VERY easy to get after you kill the phalanx and makes the first few bosses too easy.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

LemonAIDS posted:

Spears can be great but you have to watch out for shields as they cause a little recoil if you hit a shield with them, they also do next to no stamina damage when they are blocked. They are very easy to parry too. If the enemy doesn't have a shield your golden tho, just keep poking and keep enemies at a distance. Try to lure them into tight hallways where your weapon will rock because if they have a big weapon it will be bouncing off walls and make it harder for them to dodge your pokes.

I always suicide in the nexus as it makes getting pure white(which snags you great treasures) a lot easier and faster.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. Also, any suggestions on what good rings I should go for on my 2nd slot after Cling Ring? I currently can pick between 2 rings that raise my Equip Carry Weight and Item Carry Weight, a ring that raises Fire Resistance, or the Thief Ring.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Aries posted:

This too, but goddamn if you're low-level (I suspect you are), this could literally take 30 minutes or more.

Yeah, but since you can't get to 1-3 until you finish one of the other worlds anyway, there's not much point in rushing to finish 1-2 unless you really, really want Total Protection.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

I always carry the max weight ring with me in case I reach my max weight in the field. the max equip weight ring is really only good if you don't want to pump stat points to raise it yourself(basically its a temporary fix IMO). Thief ring is good for the first few levels. I'd say stick with the thief ring until you find a ring that would better suit you. Here's a list of all the rings and where to get them
http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/rings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

qbert posted:

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. Also, any suggestions on what good rings I should go for on my 2nd slot after Cling Ring? I currently can pick between 2 rings that raise my Equip Carry Weight and Item Carry Weight, a ring that raises Fire Resistance, or the Thief Ring.

If you don't like getting ambushed by 30 dudes at once, you'll probably want to have the Thief Ring on the whole game. Or alternately the Graverobber's Ring if there's an NPC Black Phantom.

EDIT: Rings are so low weight, you might as well carry several for emergency situations. Always have the extra load ring, at least, in case you find a tasty pile of stones or something. Then Thief's, Graverobber's, maybe Fragrant.

Fire Resistance doesn't seem worth it because the guys who do fire damage usually do A LOT of fire damage and you won't survive anyway (dragons, BP Scirvir) or are easy enough to dodge (Fat Ministers, fire geckos, guys throwing flaming bottles).

Arcaeris fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 7, 2009

• Locked thread