Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.

qbert posted:

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. Also, any suggestions on what good rings I should go for on my 2nd slot after Cling Ring? I currently can pick between 2 rings that raise my Equip Carry Weight and Item Carry Weight, a ring that raises Fire Resistance, or the Thief Ring.

If you're a heavy melee fighter, use the equip carry weight, as you can wear heavy armor and still roll and run quickly.

If you like to sneak, use your bow, and backstab, then thief ring is highly valuable.

Fire Resistance is really only useful for that one express purpose, I hardly used mine asides from the 2nd world.

Item Carry Weight shouldn't be a concern unless you are loading up with LOADS of items before going back to the Nexus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

french lies
Apr 16, 2008

qbert posted:

Any advice on how I should be using it? Right now I'm just kinda keeping the shield up to absorb the first attack, then poking them with the spear with the shield still raised. Anyone who's a pro with spears wanna give me some pointers?
A big part of getting good with spears is learning how to switch between a normal stab attack and the more powerful lunge attack. You have a very good range with the lunge, meaning you can often catch enemies off-guard as they're chasing you or when they're trying to heal.

Take the knights for example: if you go near one, his first instinct will be to parry your attack (looks like a shield bash) but if there's no attack for him to parry that will leave him wide open for a stab attack. If you do this a couple of times you'll usually get his health down to where he'll try to use grass if given the chance. When you notice him stopping to heal, do a lunge attack and he'll die 99% of the time.

For soldiers, they'll keep their guard raised when you approach them but not when they're chasing after you, so if you lock on to them, run backwards then lunge attack you stand a good chance of killing them in one or two blows. If the lunge attack doesn't kill them just follow up with a couple of stabs and that should do the trick.

I could give you similar pointers for ministers and octopus guards but I think this should give you the general gist of it.

quote:

Maybe I can just rip the Soundtrack CD for you or something? It could be on there.
I don't think it's on there, that's my problem. :smith:

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

On my first playthrough, when i found the brushwood armor set(heaviest armor with the best defense and second highest fire resist) I only had enough weight to pick up one piece, and as I was dropping stuff to clear out my inventory, I did something stupid and died, so I lost the set. Now I ALWAYS carry the Ring of Herculean Strength with me so whenever I max out my weight limit, I just pop that on and I'm good.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Wait, are some people NOT carrying around every ring they have (minus duplicates)? They weigh like 0.1 each...

Boogat
Jan 5, 2006

Oh, I am serious. Look, this is my serious face.

qbert posted:

Any advice on how I should be using it? Right now I'm just kinda keeping the shield up to absorb the first attack, then poking them with the spear with the shield still raised. Anyone who's a pro with spears wanna give me some pointers?

I use a spear and it owns pretty hard. The strategy I use is: Keep shield up, lock onto them, taunt them until they come after you and then wait for their first attack (while dodging what they do), as soon as they attack me I either do a quick jab (R1) or if they have a big recover after their attack and I have extra time, I will do the lunge attack (R2). I do all this while keeping up the shield.

The key is to just be patient and react to what they do, while keeping some distance between each other (remember you have a long reach with your spear).

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

I don't bother carrying around rings I know I'll never use. IE ring of accursed or ring of magical nature/devout prayer on characters that dont use magic/miracles.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
So I found what I assume is a black phantom, on the left of the beginning of 1-1. Killed it and got the Banded suit/Burnished suit at the bottom of the pit and the Master's Ring.

Is that a one-off thing? I would assume the loot wouldn't drop again but can I get her to spawn again somehow? Also, why the hell was the gate opened? Someone said it was due to world tendency stuff, but the pillar isn't super white or black, it's just pretty white.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

KGBAgent185 posted:

So I found what I assume is a black phantom, on the left of the beginning of 1-1. Killed it and got the Banded suit/Burnished suit at the bottom of the pit and the Master's Ring.

Is that a one-off thing? I would assume the loot wouldn't drop again but can I get her to spawn again somehow? Also, why the hell was the gate opened? Someone said it was due to world tendency stuff, but the pillar isn't super white or black, it's just pretty white.

that was executioner miralda, killing her resets you world tendancy(or at least close to it) a black phantom glows red and black(like the dreglings right before her that just appear)

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

LemonAIDS posted:

that was executioner miralda, killing her resets you world tendancy(or at least close to it) a black phantom glows red and black(like the dreglings right before her that just appear)

Can you kill her at both max white and max black tendency in one game?

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

yes, at pure black, shes a black phantom, and much tougher. black phantom miralda drops her axe instead of her armor

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

LemonAIDS posted:

Good to know, I was just going to ask why all of a sudden my pillar for that area was now lightless, but not black.

Finally got around to killing the damned Armor Spider, and for anyone who kept getting nailed by the flamethrower attack, just retreat back near the fog door and block. >< Don't try and block through it.

Project Oni
Oct 19, 2007
Fanclub is full

LemonAIDS posted:

Spears can be great but you have to watch out for shields as they cause a little recoil if you hit a shield with them, they also do next to no stamina damage when they are blocked. They are very easy to parry too. If the enemy doesn't have a shield your golden tho, just keep poking and keep enemies at a distance. Try to lure them into tight hallways where your weapon will rock because if they have a big weapon it will be bouncing off walls and make it harder for them to dodge your pokes.

Yeah, even if they might be a bit situational at times, I can't see myself using anything but a spear in Demon's Souls... two-handed at that. The triple thrust is monstrous, and that jumping overhead thrust is all like "yeah, I'm Brad Pitt in Troy!"

I'm around level 20 right now and I've been dumping the majority of my skill points into strength and dexterity. Leftovers have been going into vitality. Am I setting myself up for failure later on? I feel like I might be building a kamikaze spearman. My character's great with distancing enemies and disposing of even tougher enemies in single shots, but I'm lacking an area attack so I can get overwhelmed pretty easily. Who puts in a spear without a big crowd-clearing swing...? The blade even looks like it's made more for slashing rather than stabbing.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
What you want is a polearm (Halberd/Mirdan Hammer/Sais).

Edit:
Actually let me change that. The polearms do have that attack, but you would be better served by playing more tactically.

Edit2:
Your order has been updated to the following status.

New status: Shipped

Now to see how long it takes to get from Canada to Denmark.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 7, 2009

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

KGBAgent185 posted:

Good to know, I was just going to ask why all of a sudden my pillar for that area was now lightless, but not black.

Good job killing her if you haven't even beaten 2-1. Miralda's a bitch and she hits really hard.

Black Phantoms look like the guys who spawn out of the air on the way to her, not like her. Glowing red aura and black flamey bodies.

Also don't forget the Colorless Demon's Soul on that ledge you have to fall onto, above the Brushwood Armor set.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Arcaeris posted:

Good job killing her if you haven't even beaten 2-1. Miralda's a bitch and she hits really hard.

Black Phantoms look like the guys who spawn out of the air on the way to her, not like her. Glowing red aura and black flamey bodies.

Also don't forget the Colorless Demon's Soul on that ledge you have to fall onto, above the Brushwood Armor set.

Hurf, I knew there was something else I was going to ask about. So you just fall to there? I have to do that when I get back from the dog park. Killing her wasn't so bad actually, using the purple Dragon Shield she couldn't get through with her axe/thing. Just poked her a bunch with my winged spear (Which is AWESOME).

I also however forgot to mention, killed the red dragon, and the red eyed demon guarding what I've found is called the mausoleum, then went and got the purple dragon shield, and the ring and poo poo.... then promptly learned what it felt like to die with 16,000 souls.

Luckily I got them back, after 2 times of almost getting pasted. But gently caress me, I did not expect to get flattened by the blue dragon's tail. :(

french lies
Apr 16, 2008
Holy poo poo, I just got summoned as Black Phantom for the Old Monk boss fight for the first time and absolutely destroyed the poor Japanese guy the game pitted me up against. I've never felt this badass in a game before. :cool:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

french lies posted:

Holy poo poo, I just got summoned as Black Phantom for the Old Monk boss fight for the first time and absolutely destroyed the poor Japanese guy the game pitted me up against. I've never felt this badass in a game before. :cool:
Wait, this happens? I didn't know anything about that.

Also how would you know he is Japanese?

Project Oni
Oct 19, 2007
Fanclub is full

KGBAgent185 posted:

I also however forgot to mention, killed the red dragon, and the red eyed demon guarding what I've found is called the mausoleum, then went and got the purple dragon shield, and the ring and poo poo.... then promptly learned what it felt like to die with 16,000 souls.

Luckily I got them back, after 2 times of almost getting pasted. But gently caress me, I did not expect to get flattened by the blue dragon's tail. :(

Any way to kill these dragons with just a spear? I don't have any projectile attack spells and I don't want to use any bows.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Project Oni posted:

Any way to kill these dragons with just a spear? I don't have any projectile attack spells and I don't want to use any bows.

Nope -- you need spells or arrows.

Any particularly reason you don't want to use a bow? You find one in 1-2 and a better one in 4-1, and they're pretty handy in many situations.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Project Oni posted:

Why in the world are you against bows? That's just a retarded view. Use a bow, stand on the first tower in 1-2 and do it the man's way. (It's actually quite cowardly and lovely, and boring, but the only place you can kill it).

I took 170 arrows and killed him before I got below 100, but I upgraded the compound short bow a once or twice.

french lies
Apr 16, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wait, this happens? I didn't know anything about that.

Also how would you know he is Japanese?
His name was miyabisa10 so I'm guessing he was Japanese.

I placed a blue stone in 3-1 in hope of getting summoned as a Blue Phantom and got a message saying I was being summoned as a Black Phantom instead. Then I got the cutscene with the monk throwing his robe and waited for about 5 mins as the player worked his way up the stairs. He was dead within fifteen seconds of entering the fog. :colbert:

As a reward you get the gigantic yellow turban and a message telling you what a superb demon you are.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Holy poo poo that's how you get that turban?

If you are on the other (normal) side of that fight, does it let you know that you are fighting a human?

Project Oni
Oct 19, 2007
Fanclub is full

McCoy Pauley posted:

Any particularly reason you don't want to use a bow?
Well, it's a little dumb: I'm having my character follow the traditions of the old warriors of Sparti. I kind of defeat the purpose by not using a shield, but the two-handed spear is awesome (I'm probably sounding redundant itt).

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

LemonAIDS posted:

On my first playthrough, when i found the brushwood armor set(heaviest armor with the best defense and second highest fire resist) I only had enough weight to pick up one piece, and as I was dropping stuff to clear out my inventory, I did something stupid and died, so I lost the set. Now I ALWAYS carry the Ring of Herculean Strength with me so whenever I max out my weight limit, I just pop that on and I'm good.

I had a similar problem. I managed to pick up everything but the legs, and figured I'd just drop the rest off at the nexus and come back for the legs. However, when I came back the legs were not there. I was so pissed when I looked up the cost of what I lost for a retarded reason. I didn't have any of the strength rings or anything as I had just beaten Phalanx. Clubbing Miralda to death was awesome at least.

Anyway, I've been playing as a tank priest with totally maxed out equip weight. I'm wearing all the brushwood I have and it's freaking awesome. I'm not indestructible, but I love the heavy feeling my guy has. I read the last few pages and understand why he clinks around so badly when I roll now, too. Thanks for that! I'm totally digging the game, and punched the "keep it" button on my Gamefly this morning.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma

french lies posted:

As a reward you get the gigantic yellow turban and a message telling you what a superb demon you are.

Haha, GOTY.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Project Oni posted:

Well, it's a little dumb: I'm having my character follow the traditions of the old warriors of Sparti. I kind of defeat the purpose by not using a shield, but the two-handed spear is awesome (I'm probably sounding redundant itt).
What the hell are you going on about, seriously? Sparti?

french lies
Apr 16, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Holy poo poo that's how you get that turban?

If you are on the other (normal) side of that fight, does it let you know that you are fighting a human?
I've never done that fight online. However, it let me know I was invading his world so I'm guessing he would get the standard message for invading BPs.

Oh, and I should mention you get your body back as well. Once you're done with the fight it teleports you to the world where you died last. I'm planning on wearing this ridiculous turban for good luck while I'm fighting NG+ Flamelurker.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Project Oni posted:

That sounds like a sweet way to play the game, but without spoiling much of anything, you're not going to be killing any dragons that way (unless I've completely missed some melee strategies for them). It's going to make for some real fun in fighting some bosses that are pretty easy to cheese with range attacks but should provide a real challenge up close. You don't need to kill that dragon, anyway -- just be careful running across the bridge.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Just beat the Tower Knight, and figured I'd learn from my mistakes and spend the souls right away, I bought one stat upgrade, but couldn't buy another. The confirm box won't let me do anything but cancel. Do I need to have more demons killed before I can buy more stat ups?

Also, I kind of feel bad for the blue phantoms that were helping me with the tower knight, I think they both died while I was plinking away at the knight from above.

I hate having a body cause I'm always nervous I'm going to get invaded and laid out flat.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

KGBAgent185 posted:

Just beat the Tower Knight, and figured I'd learn from my mistakes and spend the souls right away, I bought one stat upgrade, but couldn't buy another. The confirm box won't let me do anything but cancel. Do I need to have more demons killed before I can buy more stat ups?

You just need to have more souls. Every stat point upgrade cost a certain amount of souls, and the cost goes up each time you buy a point. When you're talking to the Maiden in Black about upgrading stats, you should be able to see what the cost is for the next stat upgrade.

Boogat
Jan 5, 2006

Oh, I am serious. Look, this is my serious face.

KGBAgent185 posted:

Every time you spend a stat point, you increase +1 level. Each time you increase, it costs more and more souls to level again. So chances are, you only had enough souls to purchase 1 level. It should say in the top of the dialog box how many souls are needed.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I don't know how you guys can stand to cheese the Tower Knight like that. Besides being harder it's also loving boring to stand on the wall launching poo poo at him. Once you learn his attacks and know how to dodge he's pretty drat easy to kill by running around his legs slicing and blasting. You might have to run for safety every so often but still he's probably the easiest boss overall.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Yodzilla posted:

I don't know how you guys can stand to cheese the Tower Knight like that. Besides being harder it's also loving boring to stand on the wall launching poo poo at him. Once you learn his attacks and know how to dodge he's pretty drat easy to kill by running around his legs slicing and blasting. You might have to run for safety every so often but still he's probably the easiest boss overall.

I got pasted the first time I walked in there in like 1 shot. :(

However, this time I only got him to like half health plinking away, and ended up on the floor dodging around anyway. I didn't know if you slam his feet he will fall over.... he fell on me and I got trapped. :(

Also for the stat ups, I could've sworn I had enough after using the 200 soul item, I'll check when I get back.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The only true way to beat Tower Knight is to kill all his archers then play the baiting game so you can go hack at his ankles/head (when he falls over) If I can do that on my first run as a knight you can too :colbert:

Besides, if you stand right between his legs for some reason half of his attacks just miss for some reason. I tried that once and a lot of the time he wouldn't even hit me (unless he did some sort of stomp)

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah it does--with the standard invasion message I believe.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

That fight is one of the few I can see being worth going offline for. With one of my characters, I got invaded every single time I fought the boss, and it was consistently pvp geared players who were very experienced, and I was playing a super lovely character. That was not fun.

Eventually killing one of the meat cleaving fuckheads was quite satisfying however.

french lies
Apr 16, 2008
WE BE BALLIN

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
This game really needs screenshot functionality built in.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

french lies posted:

WE BE BALLIN

Well someone likes the Brushwood Armor.

Are you toting around the Moonlight Sword there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

french lies
Apr 16, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Well someone likes the Brushwood Armor.

Are you toting around the Moonlight Sword there?
Soulbrand. And I only put the Brushwood set on to look awesome, it's way too heavy for me (and anyone without insane Endurance, really) to wear in actual combat.

• Locked thread