Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boogat
Jan 5, 2006

Oh, I am serious. Look, this is my serious face.

evilalien posted:

Do you mean the bug in the Asian version where if you quit in the Nexus, your world tendency is reset to neutral? I don't think anybody knows at this point if Atlus has fixed that or not.

Yeah that bug, I have the Asian version and just started playing again recently so I wasn't too sure if it has been fixed... Is it still there (in the Asian version) ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Boogat posted:

Yeah that bug, I have the Asian version and just started playing again recently so I wasn't too sure if it has been fixed... Is it still there (in the Asian version) ?

I'm not sure. The wiki says that the bug exists in 1.02 but says nothing about whether or not 1.03 or 1.04 fixed it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

alkanphel posted:

How hard is the 4-1 boss? I just killed the stupid black skeleton outside his door. Any tips for the boss?

Yeah, get to the bottom asap and get all in his face. You want to target the blade sticking out of his side and keep poking that. As long as you're running right up against him he'll only use his blade against you. Anticipate his swings, as he only ever swings from left to right. Before he swings, just make sure you're to the left of his blade arm (right arm I think) and he'll miss you by a mile every time. Then just run back to the wound and slash at it a few times, repeat. When he's weakened, his head'll lower and you aim for that to take out his health. Should take like 3 "rounds" of this to take him down.

On my first 3 tries against him I died within 5 seconds each time. 4th try, didn't get hit once. :) Yeah, it felt good.

Edit: What makes Evacuate so good? I mean, I pretty much kill every enemy I encounter as I progress through a level. Since they never respawn, Evacuate doesn't really seem like a "lifesaver" so much as a "timesaver".

qbert fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 8, 2009

Talking Mustache
Sep 29, 2007

Need color shceme advice for my female Space Marines the Super Sexy ASSassins
I was just reading the US manual, and if you look at the characters on pg. 5, 3/4 of them are named after Simpsons references. Their names are Bobo, Lisa Lionheart, and Princess Kashmir. The other is Dr. Demento, but I'm not sure what that's from. Seems like either Atlus or FS have a few Simpsons fans! :v:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Doctor Dememto is basically Weird Al's predecessor. He also did stuff like this

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Scudocalypse posted:

The other is Dr. Demento, but I'm not sure what that's from.

A shameful confession.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Samurai Sanders posted:

Doctor Dememto is basically Weird Al's predecessor. He also did stuff like this

He doesn't actually make any music, he just collects and broadcasts it on his radio show or puts it on compilation discs.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
How do I use magic? I learned and remembered heal but none of the buttons use it. The manual says to press L1 but that just uses my shield or my hand.

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.
For miracles you need a talisman and for magic you need a catalyst. There is a talisman near the beginning of 4-1.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
Huh, you guys have the opposite Adjudicator dodge as me. I always stayed right under his gimpy, non-weapon arm, and rolled counter-clockwise. I never got hit, and he and I were locked in a spinning, endless dance.

Also One-Time Revival and Anti-Magic Field come by so late in the game (4-2, and 4-3 bosses) and have very useful weapons they turn into, that I would seriously debate getting the spells first. I like Anti-Magic Field a lot, though.

I mean you COULD do 4-2 and 4-3 right after doing 1-1 and 4-1, but the enemies in 4-2 and the layout in general make it very difficult. At one point you even have to face two gold skeletons at once - and that's the easiest part. And 4-3, well, you had better be good at dodging.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I've got a Winged Spear +4, That Crescent Falchion +1 (whose use to me I'm questioning, as it's strength is apparently based on magic), a great club, a Bastard Sword +2 and a Mail Breaker +2 as my only weapons of note. I also purchased Soul light or whatever the basic ranged spell is, but lack a wand.

The Crescent Falchion is good even though it uses Magic as its attack stat because it does magic damage to enemies. Which a lot of enemies are vulnerable to.

As for the Catalyst there's one early on in 3-1 in one of the prison cells.

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.

Arcaeris posted:

I mean you COULD do 4-2 and 4-3 right after doing 1-1 and 4-1, but the enemies in 4-2 and the layout in general make it very difficult. At one point you even have to face two gold skeletons at once - and that's the easiest part. And 4-3, well, you had better be good at dodging.

In the Asian version I did a gimmick play through where I put all of my points into dex (and whatever else I needed to use the various katanas) and committed myself to getting a katana as soon as possible and from then on out using only katanas. This meant I did 4-1 first for the Uchigatana, followed by 4-2 for other weapons right afterwards. I did it without any farming and no magic or bows. It was hard as hell and very, very tense, but I managed it and it was so rewarding.

Definitely not something I'd recommend for a new player though. When I did it I'd already completed the game 5 times or so.

Edit: Obviously I had to use something other than a katana for 4-3.

Oae Ui fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 8, 2009

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Arcaeris posted:

Here's a pretty low risk way to beat 4-3, if you're interested:

Put on your thief ring and sprint out to the middle of the level where that sword is sticking out of the ground. If you're sprinting and moving enough, you should be reasonably safe from the mantas. Grab the Storm King Sword (or whatever it's called), and run back to the beginning of the level. Just to the left of where you enter that open area (after the 4-2 boss area), there are some large rocks that create sort of a little alcove by the cliff face (usually there is a message here noting this is a safe spot) -- this is where you're going to retreat to be safe from the boss.

Now that you know that spot, head back out a bit into the level -- just enough downhill that mantas start attacking you. Swing the Storm King Sword at them -- each swing should kill at least one manta. After you've killed several, the boss swoops down. Now what you want to do is run back behind that rock (in the alcove) so the spikes the boss shoots all hit the rock. Basically there's a safe spot behind the rock where you are completely protected from his barrage. After he's shot all his spikes and is swooping towards you, run out and hit him 2-3 times with the sword (lock on in order to do this). He makes a circuit to shoot another barrage, so go back behind the rock. Repeat 3-4 times.

It's probably a lot more exciting to run around the level and just dodge his barrage as best you can, but this way is pretty safe. Yeah, I guess I played through the game in a pretty cowardly fashion for the most part.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

If you don't have the Thief Ring on, 4-3 is a great place to farm. I don't bother with the 4-3 trick, I just Soul Light those assholes and they come from across the whole freaking level to get you.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Where's the best place to farm for Spiderstones? I need them to create a Viscous Compound Bow. Also, do the crystal geckos respawn at all? They ALWAYS run away from me.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

qbert posted:

Where's the best place to farm for Spiderstones? I need them to create a Viscous Compound Bow. Also, do the crystal geckos respawn at all? They ALWAYS run away from me.

Geckos respawn once for every boss you kill in the level, and I think one more time.

So if you kill all the level 2 bosses (3 of them), the geckos in 2-1 will appaear 4 times. The problem is, you lose one time for every time they either die OR run away.

So if you go into 2-1, and they run away 4 times before you can kill them, there go your spiderstones. They will not appear again.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

qbert posted:

Yeah they appear pretty frequently. Hint: those little fucker love to run towards danger so watch your step while charging and swinging wildly.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

qbert posted:

I think the World 2 is the best place to farm Spiderstone -- from the miners and crystal geckos (I like the tunnel before the boss shortcut in 2-2 in particular). This wiki page has some useful info on where to farm for particular ores.

As far as I know, crystal geckos do not respawn if they escape from you -- you've missed your shot to get that particular crystal gecko. They do have some kind of respawn counter, but it's limited, and increases when you beat bosses. Basically, don't let them escape.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
Does it really matter too much what class you choose? I wouldn't want to totally hinder my experience by choosing a cloak & dagger class when little knives will just bounce off any decent demon I see

Viash
Mar 17, 2003
Will two rings of avarice stack?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Cyberbob posted:

Does it really matter too much what class you choose? I wouldn't want to totally hinder my experience by choosing a cloak & dagger class when little knives will just bounce off any decent demon I see

It doesn't matter past the beginner stats.

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.

Viash posted:

You can only wear one of each ring.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

Viash posted:

Ring of Avarice and Silver Bracelet, however, DO stack.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Arcaeris posted:

Ring of Avarice and Silver Bracelet, however, DO stack.

Note that the Silver Bracelet is only for female characters, however (and is so useful that it's a pretty good reason to play as a female character)

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

This is the first goon super hyped game that I've bought into at full price that has in no way disappointed. Which is frankly astounding considering the sheer absurdity of hypedom this has had.

Thanks for the answers so far, it seems like this game is sort of muddy on the details at first, at least to me.

Back to the endless parade of questions. Can someone give me the lowdown on upgrading shields? I'm not sure what the benefit is, exactly. Also, I have a the purple flame shield, and when equipping it, or taking it off, I don't see it have any impact on my flame resistance stat. Should I upgrade the purple flame shield or would that somehow goof it up?

I just beat 2-3, last boss was really cool looking.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ChaoticSeven posted:

This is the first goon super hyped game that I've bought into at full price that has in no way disappointed. Which is frankly astounding considering the sheer absurdity of hypedom this has had.

Thanks for the answers so far, it seems like this game is sort of muddy on the details at first, at least to me.

Back to the endless parade of questions. Can someone give me the lowdown on upgrading shields? I'm not sure what the benefit is, exactly. Also, I have a the purple flame shield, and when equipping it, or taking it off, I don't see it have any impact on my flame resistance stat. Should I upgrade the purple flame shield or would that somehow goof it up?

I just beat 2-3, last boss was really cool looking.

Upgrading shields make it harder to break your guard (less stamina use and it takes more hits to stop you from guarding). Later you can upgrade using cloudstone to make dark shields, which remove the guard break effects to become better at blocking magic. As for the purple flame shield, it doesn't raise fire resistance, but blocking with it stops 90% of incoming fire damage.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
I can't find the answer in the thread.

What do I do with unwanted equipment like "slave shields" and "broken swords"? I can't seem to sell them. Do I just drop it from my inventory?

Never have I played a game that evokes hopelessness and despair. Shadows of the Colossus made me feel like I was alone but Demon's Souls is just loving depressing. Yet every time I die I can't wait to get back to where I was after learning what NOT to do.

This game rules.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cracker King posted:

I can't find the answer in the thread.

What do I do with unwanted equipment like "slave shields" and "broken swords"? I can't seem to sell them. Do I just drop it from my inventory?

Never have I played a game that evokes hopelessness and despair. Shadows of the Colossus made me feel like I was alone but Demon's Souls is just loving depressing. Yet every time I die I can't wait to get back to where I was after learning what NOT to do.

This game rules.

Either drop them or leave them with Stockpile Thomas.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

Isn't Broken Sword the one you use for the Blueblood sword?

EDIT: Yes, it is.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Arcaeris posted:

Isn't Broken Sword the one you use for the Blueblood sword?
Yes and the blueblood sword is loving awesome. But I mean come on, any seasoned gamer, upon seeing a "broken sword", will immediately stow it away knowing that it will eventually turn into one of the most powerful things in the game.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma

Cyberbob posted:

when little knives will just bounce off any decent demon I see

When that happens with the fat guys that laugh at you (which are creepy and awesome) or the miners. I usually try to backstab or switch to fists/claws and pummel them.

I have to say the creature design incredible in this game.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I take it when I die stupidly because I want to rush back to my bloodstain, then do the same thing 3 more times and I am left with no more healing herbs or whatever they are in 2-1 the correct course of action is to go back to 1-1 and farm a bunch of them?

Those dudes with the hot pokers are incredibly tough when three of them come at once and you are impatient :(

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

Hey, I've got a weird question.

So I don't have Patches in the Nexus. I never ran into him in world 4, either. I beat 4-1, then went and explored 4-2, and got Makoto. I never once interacted with Patches in any level. Is this supposed to happen?

Also Selen Vinland isn't there in World 5. I have the items you get from beating her bro as a Black Phantom (and normal), but she's never been sitting where she's supposed to be.

Maybe it's because I have pure black character tendency? I can't get Keel Smasher either, despite having World 2 at pure white.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Oh awesome! I gave Thomas one broken sword and tossed the rest already. I figured the broken sword would be used again later on.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Lumpy posted:

Those dudes with the hot pokers are incredibly tough when three of them come at once and you are impatient :(
You may not have noticed but you have isolated your problem right here.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yes and the blueblood sword is loving awesome. But I mean come on, any seasoned gamer, upon seeing a "broken sword", will immediately stow it away knowing that it will eventually turn into one of the most powerful things in the game.

Indeed. Everyone goes nuts for the Meat Cleaver, but the Blueblood Sword is nearly as strong and is much faster.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Just bought the deluxe edition today from Fry's for $60. Really enjoying the game so far once I got the hang of the controls. Just really wished that I knew turpentine set your weapon on fire before fighting the Phalanx.

So how many people fell for the "Walk foward" at the top of the Nexus? I do like the online bloodstain tips, it makes the game seem less then a single player experience seeing these tips and random people souls wander around the game.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

Indeed. Everyone goes nuts for the Meat Cleaver, but the Blueblood Sword is nearly as strong and is much faster.

Depends on your stats, for me the Meat Cleaver is twice as powerful as the Blueblood Sword. The Blueblood and Crescent Falchion also are equivalent in attack power.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Samurai Sanders posted:

You may not have noticed but you have isolated your problem right here.

Oh yes, I know it's all my fault. I passed them the first time taking almost no damage, then got killed by the laughing fat dude who throws fire... it's my haste to get past them that's getting me killed.

This is what is endearing me most to this game. *I* kill me, not the monsters most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I only recently read that luck gives a hidden bonus to the blueblood sword. I couldn't figure out why my damage for it was so high, seeing that most of my stats are pretty mediocre. I have a habit of making RPG characters pretty much flat, stat-wise. This game doesn't punish that as much as many RPGs do though. I couldn't come close to using the white bow for that reason though.

• Locked thread