Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lethargy
Sep 10, 2003

it's a sin ok

KGBAgent185 posted:

So I saved Ostravia in 1-1/2, but I went to 1-3 and he wouldn't spawn. :( I already beat the boss of 1-3, and I went to the gate where he's supposed to be, but no dice.

I went back to the nexus, and went straight to the boss room of 1-2 ran up into 1-3 and he still wasn't there. :(

Anyone got any tips on getting him to spawn? I even went back to 1-2 to make sure he wasn't back there needing to be saved again.
He does get pretty buggy. Doesn't he sit in the Nexus after you save him in 1-2? If he's not in the Nexus, he might be dead, for all intents and purposes.

edit: don't worry you should still finish your game. My buddy still beat it after accidentally killing the blacksmith early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
Okay, I need a pro gamer strat. I'm soul level 100 apparently, and I decided "hey I guess I better do the black phantom/colorless demon soul in 5-2 before I beat the game."

Is there some genius trick to beating these black phantom giant trolls? To get to either the colorless demon or my black phantom friend (who I'm sure is not easy herself) I have to beat like 2 or three of these fuckers. Jesus Christ they are hard, with something like 1500+ HP. And they don't stagger, and kill you in one hit, and overpower even my Dark Silver Shield +2.

I think I can get my damage with Soul Light into the 300s with Kris Knife and Ring of Magical Sharpness, but that isn't cutting it. Should I pump Magic?

Keep in mind that it takes 8-10 runs of 4-2 to get ONE stat point at this point. Maybe I'll save it for NG+. Ugh.

Lethargy posted:

He does get pretty buggy. Doesn't he sit in the Nexus after you save him in 1-2? If he's not in the Nexus, he might be dead, for all intents and purposes.

The choice in how you deal with Ostrava is a tough one.

On one hand if you want to save him, his quest thing is WAY buggy and often he just disappears forever. This loses you the semi-important item he drops, as well as kills any chance of finishing the quest line.

Or you can kill him and be a jerk, and take his item but lose the quest line anyway.

I'd say on a first playthrough just kill him, since the whole event with his item is very difficult anyway and you can stand to be a jerk on the first playthrough.

Arcaeris fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 9, 2009

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Ryouga Inverse posted:

What's the easiest way to get a Crescent Dagger? I really like how fast daggers are, it helps my survivability tons. I found the Secret Dagger in 3-1, upgraded it a bunch, then stupidly took the first branch (Quality) without realizing what was going on.

Is it going to be easier to meltstone it and start over, or is there another one I can find and build up?

I want Crescent for the MP regen, obviously.

I would guess it's going to be easier to get a meltstone and start over -- I'm not sure where another Secret Dagger can be found (assassin drops in 1-3, I think).

Once you have it back, upgrade it to a Secret Dagger+6, then take it to the 2-1 Blacksmith and start spending Darkmoonstones to upgrade it down the Crescent path (those are farmed on World 4):

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/upgrade

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Kreeblah posted:

I suppose that depends on what you mean.

I guess I mean do I often have to repeat areas that have the same demon setup and whatnot. If you repeat areas often, but they are "different" each time, I guess that is fine.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
How good is the Phosphorescent Pole? I've never really used polearms in the game, but getting this one doesn't seem to be too much of a pain, and the magic damage, S stat for magic and MP regen all seem pretty great. Is it worth it?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Harminoff posted:

I guess I mean do I often have to repeat areas that have the same demon setup and whatnot. If you repeat areas often, but they are "different" each time, I guess that is fine.

You're going to repeat areas a lot in that you are going to die a lot and have to trek through them again.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I refused to start the game until I beat the boss of the tutorial.

:unsmith: Only took me 15 tries or so.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

McCoy Pauley posted:

How good is the Phosphorescent Pole? I've never really used polearms in the game, but getting this one doesn't seem to be too much of a pain, and the magic damage, S stat for magic and MP regen all seem pretty great. Is it worth it?

S for Magic can mean a lot of things. I've never gotten it, but I can tell you that other such weapons like Istarelle or Large Sword of Moonlight are not great.

Since I'm bombing out on 5-2 today I'll try to get this one and let you know.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Ornamented Death posted:

You're going to repeat areas a lot in that you are going to die a lot and have to trek through them again.

How often are the saves though? Will I be playing for 30min to an hour, die and have to repeat that hour, or is it more of repeat the last 5-10 min?

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma

Harminoff posted:

How often are the saves though? Will I be playing for 30min to an hour, die and have to repeat that hour, or is it more of repeat the last 5-10 min?

it autosaves everything you do, from picking up an item or using it. it's seamless.

when you die everything respawns but usually you've learned the level by then so it goes by quicker, or there's a shortcut you've opened

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

it autosaves everything you do, from picking up an item or using it. it's seamless.

when you die everything respawns but usually you've learned the level by then so it goes by quicker, or there's a shortcut you've opened

Yeah, opening up a shortcut is basically this game's version of a save point. There are usually about 1-2 per level (5-2 :argh:).

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
total noob questions, maybe we can update the first page with this type of stuff at some point. I'm in 1-1, my health bar is twice as long as where my cap is (ie half of it is grayed out) why is that? also if I die as a ghost that means when I go to retrieve my body it's now where I died the second time and I have no way of retrieving the souls I had on my person the first time I died? so you can die once and still get back what you lost, just make sure you don't die again correct?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

MMD3 posted:

total noob questions, maybe we can update the first page with this type of stuff at some point. I'm in 1-1, my health bar is twice as long as where my cap is (ie half of it is grayed out) why is that? also if I die as a ghost that means when I go to retrieve my body it's now where I died the second time and I have no way of retrieving the souls I had on my person the first time I died? so you can die once and still get back what you lost, just make sure you don't die again correct?
You start the game in Soul Form (which is what happens when you die). The tutorial always kills you. When you defeat a boss, you get your physical body back - which allows you to use your entire health bar. Normally it's capped when you're in Soul Form. But there's an item to increase the percentage.

Also, yeah, if you already died once and then die again on recovering your souls - they're lost to the sands of time.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

MMD3 posted:

Building on what Harlock said, make sure to get the Cling Ring in 1-1 (base of the first shortcut tower). It increases your HP cap when in Soul Form from 50% to 75%, which is more or less invaluable throughout the game.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Harlock posted:

You start the game in Soul Form (which is what happens when you die). The tutorial always kills you. When you defeat a boss, you get your physical body back - which allows you to use your entire health bar. Normally it's capped when you're in Soul Form. But there's an item to increase the percentage.

Also, yeah, if you already died once and then die again on recovering your souls - they're lost to the sands of time.

aha, so the entire 1-1 is played in soul form (assuming you didn't beat the tutorial boss).

I was confused by that... but you still have to run back to where your soul died to get the souls you collected then? ie I had like 1500 souls collected, died, was running for my body, died again, then I could only get the few I'd collected the second time I retrieved it... this is really meta, I'm confusing the hell out of myself.

also, when should I use the unknown soldier's souls?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

MMD3 posted:

aha, so the entire 1-1 is played in soul form (assuming you didn't beat the tutorial boss).

Even if you do beat it. There's one unavoidable death in the whole game, and it's there.

Anyway, when you die, you drop your current souls, but if you die AGAIN, if there's still a previous lot out there, they dissapear. You can only have one 'corpse' in the world at any give time.

And you shouldn't use Soldiers/Heros/Whatever souls until you're back safely in the Nexus and ready to buy something or level up. They're effectively 'safe' banked souls that you can't drop.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

MMD3 posted:

I was confused by that... but you still have to run back to where your soul died to get the souls you collected then? ie I had like 1500 souls collected, died, was running for my body, died again, then I could only get the few I'd collected the second time I retrieved it... this is really meta, I'm confusing the hell out of myself.

also, when should I use the unknown soldier's souls?

Whenever you die, your previous bloodstain (with all the souls attached to it) goes away, and a new one is laid down. You never lost items -- only souls.

the soldier/hero/etc. souls (i.e., everything except boss souls) can be consumed to give you extra souls -- just use them as needed when you're going to buy something in the Nexus.

SlippyFists
Jul 16, 2007

To The Flowers of Time!

I just beat the Tower Knight with my gimpy priest mace, god that felt so good. I have never encountered a video game like this where the atmosphere is absolutely bleak and depressing, as if there is no way in hell you're going to leave the cursed land of Boletaria. I really hope this game sells millions and From Software makes another.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

McCoy Pauley posted:

The problem with that is that it's quite a bit shorter than the other polearms, and the real benefit of polearms are their incredible reach. By the time you can get it and use it you don't really need the MP regen, a moon sais is better option if you have been raising magic and want to use a polearm.

ImpactVector posted:

Yeah, opening up a shortcut is basically this game's version of a save point. There are usually about 1-2 per level (5-2 :argh:).
Are you saying you didn't know there was a shortcut in 5-2? Because there is one, even though you don't really need it since the boss is so easy.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 9, 2009

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Hamburger Test posted:

Are you saying you didn't know there was a shortcut in 5-2? Because there is one, even though you don't really need it since the boss is so easy.

No, I know it's there. It's just the level is so freaking long and brutal. Those drat giant plague dudes are mean. I never got past the place where there's two of them right in a row on my asian version character.

Lethargy
Sep 10, 2003

it's a sin ok

Arcaeris posted:

Okay, I need a pro gamer strat. I'm soul level 100 apparently, and I decided "hey I guess I better do the black phantom/colorless demon soul in 5-2 before I beat the game."

Is there some genius trick to beating these black phantom giant trolls?
I thought they were vulnerable to fire. I used the lava bow and thief ring to cheese if I remember correctly.

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent

Darknight630 posted:

Awesome, thanks for this you two. :)

I also went into the level without a spear and found a pick-axe just a few rooms in. Works about as well I assume, got me through the level at any rate.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there any safe way to get off the platform in 4-2 where Yurt is in the cage. I don't want to let him out because there are notes everywhere saying not to+plus he seems like a bad guy. Anyhow, I couldnt find a way off so I jumped to my death and I don't know how to get back to my souls without repeating the process.

Also, what are those colorful orbs all over the place?

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

So I made a mostly mele character (temple knight) got to flamelurker and proceeded to get my rear end handed to me repeatedly while only getting him to about 3/4 life.

I upped my magic, bought soul arrow...he didnt even hit me. I just wish I had all that wasted time back farming new/full moon grass, not to mention the 100,000+ souls I must have lost because I was intent on taking the left path every time.

I was up until about 3 in the morning trying to beat this rear end in a top hat and I kept waking my wife up with all the obscenities, throwing poo poo, ect...

why do I enjoy this game so much...

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

NESguerilla posted:

Is there any safe way to get off the platform in 4-2 where Yurt is in the cage. I don't want to let him out because there are notes everywhere saying not to+plus he seems like a bad guy. Anyhow, I couldnt find a way off so I jumped to my death and I don't know how to get back to my souls without repeating the process.

Also, what are those colorful orbs all over the place?

Enter an open cage.

They're markers, I think they're the same as Augites of Guidance (name might have changed?).

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

MMD3 posted:

maybe we can update the first page with this type of stuff at some point.

I'm gonna second this, the OP did a good job of selling me the game but a lot of these tips and hints and explanations as to how things work would be awesome if collected and put into the OP (or even that second post Policenaut saved for putting in goon wisdom).

This thread moves fast and it could help out newbies like me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hamburger Test posted:

Enter an open cage.

They're markers, I think they're the same as Augites of Guidance (name might have changed?).

The only one on that platform is the one yurt is in. There is a chain going down next to him but the cage isn't there and I don't know how to make them go up.

Edit: there are cages on the platform above but if I jump down to yurts I can't get back up.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Man I'm hoping so hard that this game sold decently well in the states so that there's even more reason for a sequel. I know FROM software doesn't have a problem pumping out games so I'm remaining hopeful.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

Man I'm hoping so hard that this game sold decently well in the states so that there's even more reason for a sequel. I know FROM software doesn't have a problem pumping out games so I'm remaining hopeful.
I have a feeling they are already making a sequel.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

I know 6 of my friends bought it. Although, none of them had heard of it until I showed it to them and I haven't seen it in retail stores yet :(

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

NESguerilla posted:

Is there any safe way to get off the platform in 4-2 where Yurt is in the cage. I don't want to let him out because there are notes everywhere saying not to+plus he seems like a bad guy.

Beware of false messages. Or messages left by stupid or unobservant people, which amount to the same thing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Kreeblah posted:

Beware of false messages. Or messages left by stupid or unobservant people, which amount to the same thing.

Really? I looked at the official guide and it says he kills everyone in the nexus if you let him out.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

NESguerilla posted:

Really? I looked at the official guide and it says he kills everyone in the nexus if you let him out.

That's why you should kill him and take his stuff.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

NESguerilla posted:

beware thread-griefing :ninja:

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Don't shoot me but I don't think this game is hard like I was expecting from the hype. Once you learn the patterns and what weapons work on an enemy it gets pretty easy.

DS game is more like a call back to the early 8-bit games where you had no continues, three lives, no saves, and fuckoff birds that would spawn on you mid-jump knocking you back into a bottomless pit.

When I die it doesn't bother me as much as my younger roommates because I'm used to playing those old Nintendo classics.

Still, though I'm enjoying this game like no other and it's probably going to be my GOTY.

NeonCowboy
Oct 9, 2009

I see y'all flashing, diamond, dancing, shining /
Keep your head up
This game is very, very hard.

I've been playing a soldier and can't even beat Phalanx yet - has anyone determined what the best starting class is for someone who isn't terribly good at this? Is the Royalty class with the special magic ring or whatever worth it?

I'd like to say it'd be a burden to start over but I'm out of items, have no souls, and I guess I'm worse off now than I was fresh out of the tutorial...!

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

NESguerilla posted:

That's a bit overstated. If you let him out and kill him immediately, he doesn't do anything to them. If you don't, then when you get back there'll be a couple of generic corpses. When you see those, you'll want to find him hiding in the Nexus and kill him because the next time, you'll be missing an NPC and then another one and so on until you're left with the Maiden in Black and, I think, the storage guy.

The people who say not to let him out think you're hosed as soon as you do, which is wrong. You just need to kill him shortly afterwards (before leaving the Nexus again), which nets you a unique set of armor. Personally, I'd recommend killing him once you see those corpses in the Nexus, as when you confront him, you get a scene that you miss otherwise that adds an interesting perspective to one of the sidequests.

I really like Yurt. The people who made the game went to some really amusing lengths just to gently caress with the player and he's probably the best example of that because he's incredibly subtle about it. Most people probably aren't going to notice NPCs going missing for a while and by then they can't get any more miracles or spells or whatever. :)

Edit: I am, however, incredibly tempted to delete or possibly change that information about him out of the Wiki. Y'know, false messages and all. :ninja:

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 9, 2009

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma

JudexSupremus posted:

This game is very, very hard.

I've been playing a soldier and can't even beat Phalanx yet - has anyone determined what the best starting class is for someone who isn't terribly good at this? Is the Royalty class with the special magic ring or whatever worth it?

I'd like to say it'd be a burden to start over but I'm out of items, have no souls, and I guess I'm worse off now than I was fresh out of the tutorial...!

Use the firebomb thingies and then turpentine on your weapon when they run out.

Take your time trying to attack him, move with your shield up. Remember there is no time limit. Just be patient and attack when you know you can. Also clear the room of the spare slimes, that helps.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Kreeblah posted:

That's a bit overstated. If you let him out and kill him immediately, he doesn't do anything to them. If you don't, then when you get back there'll be a couple of generic corpses. When you see those, you'll want to find him hiding in the Nexus and kill him because the next time, you'll be missing an NPC and then another one and so on until you're left with the Maiden in Black and, I think, the storage guy.

The people who say not to let him out think you're hosed as soon as you do, which is wrong. You just need to kill him shortly afterwards (before leaving the Nexus again), which nets you a unique set of armor. Personally, I'd recommend killing him once you see those corpses in the Nexus, as when you confront him, you get a scene that you miss otherwise that adds an interesting perspective to one of the sidequests.

I really like Yurt. The people who made the game went to some really amusing lengths just to gently caress with the player and he's probably the best example of that because he's incredibly subtle about it. Most people probably aren't going to notice NPCs going missing for a while and by then they can't get any more miracles or spells or whatever. :)

Edit: I am, however, incredibly tempted to delete or possibly change that information about him out of the Wiki. Y'know, false messages and all. :ninja:

Ah word, I'm scared to death about doing anything too risky in this game so I thought I'd ask. Last night my adrenaline shot up like a rocket when I put down the controller for a second and my couch magically pulled the R2 button, causing my dude to miss the Maiden in Black's head by about an inch. I don't know if you can even kill her but im not going to find out haha.

ghostinmyshell posted:

Don't shoot me but I don't think this game is hard like I was expecting from the hype. Once you learn the patterns and what weapons work on an enemy it gets pretty easy.

DS game is more like a call back to the early 8-bit games where you had no continues, three lives, no saves, and fuckoff birds that would spawn on you mid-jump knocking you back into a bottomless pit.

When I die it doesn't bother me as much as my younger roommates because I'm used to playing those old Nintendo classics.

Still, though I'm enjoying this game like no other and it's probably going to be my GOTY.

My observation is that I don't think DS is intended to be that hard. I think it puts so much at your disposal that you could make it the hardest game ever, or make it easy on yourself. Everytime I have felt like something was too hard I just summon a couple of phantoms and its a peice of cake. It seems like 90% of the people bothered by the difficulty haven't beat the first level, which is very tough when you first pick it up.

Then again, maybe its just not for everybody. I have a friend who has put in probably 15 hours and hasn't beat the tower knight yet. I'm almost tempted to tell him it's ok to give up.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 9, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

NESguerilla posted:

Ah word, I'm scared to death about doing anything too risky in this game so I thought I'd ask. Last night my adrenaline shot up like a rocket when I put down the controller for a second and my couch magically pulled the R2 button, causing my dude to miss the Maiden in Black's head by about an inch. I don't know if you can even kill her but im not going to find out haha.

speaking of... is there any way to pause in-game? or are you safe just leaving your dude standing still in most areas if no enemies are nearby? it kind of bothers me that you have to save and quit anytime you want to walk away for 5 minutes to use the bathroom.

• Locked thread