Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Myotis
Aug 23, 2006

We have guided missiles and misguided men.
I'd like to get into the Hong Kong rock band Beyond. Can anyone recommend an album to start with? Other Cantonese rock recommendations also welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Denim Demon
Jul 1, 2007
I'm looking to get into more psyche rock. I've been really digging stuff like Sun Dial's Return Journey and Comets on Fire but and feel like im just kinda scratching the surface so if anyone's got some recommendations in that vein I'll take em.

DrRimbaud
Feb 21, 2009

Believing this statement will make you happier.
I'd appreciate recommendations on more contemporary bands featuring male/female screaming in the vein of Antischism or Circle Takes the Square or Bloodlined Calligraphy. Thanks in advance!

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

congrats on figuring out how to use a machine with 4 buttons

DrRimbaud posted:

I'd appreciate recommendations on more contemporary bands featuring male/female screaming in the vein of Antischism or Circle Takes the Square or Bloodlined Calligraphy. Thanks in advance!

I automatically have to bring up Walls of Jericho.

Also, if you're not just looking for straight up Metalcore, check out the old Anarcho-Punk scene. Older bands like Crass might work. Also, in the more recent world, you should check out the Vancouver Punk band Submission Hold.

In the "almost unlistenable, but what you're looking for" vein, check out Atari Teenage Riot.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Myotis posted:

I'd like to get into the Hong Kong rock band Beyond. Can anyone recommend an album to start with? Other Cantonese rock recommendations also welcome.

I'm not familiar with the genre but there was a really awesome thread about Chinese rock in Phiz a while back: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3087683&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

DrRimbaud posted:

Kittie's later albums feature tons of screaming from an all-chick band. My Ruin is also a good example of female screaming/growling vocals. Otep's album Ascension has some really good female screaming on it too. Arch Enemy features a chick who does a REALLY AWESOME growl on most of their songs.

As for bands that mix male/female screaming/growling, I know there are some out there, and a few visuals are coming to mind of videos I've seen, but for some reason I am completely drawing a blank as for names of bands or specific songs :(

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I am looking for compilation albums that are like the following

Dark Was the Night
War Child Heroes
Sweetheart-Our Favorite Artists Sing Their Favorite Love Songs
Stubbs the Zombie OST -Features 50's tunes covered by "indie" bands like Dandy Warhols and Raveonnettes
Under the Covers 1 and 2

Most of these contain either original songs or covers. Are any of you familiar with more compilations that I might enjoy?

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 9, 2009

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Dark Was the Night
War Child Heroes
Stubbs the Zombie OST -Features 50's tunes covered by "indie" bands like Dandy Warhols and Raveonnettes
Under the Covers 1 and 2

Most of these contain either original songs or covers. Are any of you familiar with more compilations that I might enjoy?

The "covered" half of The Late Great Daniel Johnston: Discovered/Covered

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Dark Was the Night
War Child Heroes
Under the Covers 1 and 2

Look up an artist you like on Discogs.com, see what label they're on (or the one they started out on), and if it's a decently sized indie label (or even a smaller subsidiary label) they probably release a compilation album at least once a year. Almost all labels release compilation albums, it's just that if it's a super huge label like Sony BMG they are a lot more likely to be 'Greatest Hits' albums by specific artists or 'Best Hits of ____ (some decade or fad of the past)' rather than contemporary songs.
You also might try independent radio stations and music blogs/news sites that play a style of music you like, for instance KEXP puts out indie rock compilation albums pretty frequently.
As for ones with a 'gimmick' like the albums where artists cover a particular artist's songs, I'm not really sure, the only thing I can think of is that they tend to get a lot of press so maybe read music blogs or the local alt rag or listen to NPR's music sections or something?

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 9, 2009

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
So, I'm discovering that searching for "Loud happy acoustic music" yields little to no results. A solo guitarist is preferred, but quirky instruments are a plus. Andrew Jackson Jihad is one that I'm really into right now, but most of the other acoustic-punk bands I've looked up (Johnny Hobo for example) I can't stand, mostly because of the singers voice.

Also I'm trying to find a good collection of foreign music. Irish, French, and African seem to me like they'd be the most interesting, but really anything cultural, acoustic, and upbeat would be good. I just can't get enough of Seu Jorge's Portuguese Bowie covers.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

EatinCake posted:

So, I'm discovering that searching for "Loud happy acoustic music" yields little to no results. A solo guitarist is preferred, but quirky instruments are a plus. Andrew Jackson Jihad is one that I'm really into right now, but most of the other acoustic-punk bands I've looked up (Johnny Hobo for example) I can't stand, mostly because of the singers voice.

Also I'm trying to find a good collection of foreign music. Irish, French, and African seem to me like they'd be the most interesting, but really anything cultural, acoustic, and upbeat would be good. I just can't get enough of Seu Jorge's Portuguese Bowie covers.

Their regular commercial album is nothing like what you're asking for, but The Airborne Toxic Event's Acoustic Series has a few songs you might like. The lyrics themselves tend to be less than happy in some songs (as the singer puts it, they're pretty much all about being a gently caress-up), but the music in a few songs is really up-beat and catchy. Especially in their acoustic versions.

My personal favorites:
Does This Mean You're Moving On?
Something New
Gasoline
Papillion

EDIT: Oh also, you said you were looking for some good acoustic Irish stuff (I don't know any bands that do French or African music ;) ). Give Gaelic Storm a listen. They do a lot of traditional Irish folk tunes, as well as some of their own original stuff (which is quite good). I've personally only ever listened to their first, self-titled album, and a few individual tracks from other albums, such as The Night I Punched Russell Crowe.

Hills of Connemara
Johnny Jump Up
Tell Me Ma

Jadz fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 9, 2009

NapoleonAtWaterloo
Jun 28, 2008

Dark Was the Night
War Child Heroes
Under the Covers 1 and 2

The Morning Benders - The Bedroom Covers
It's free and it's great, it's not a bunch of different artist but it seems very much in the vain of what you are looking for.
http://ambenders.blogspot.com/2008/07/bedroom-covers.html
Hope you enjoy.

NapoleonAtWaterloo fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Oct 9, 2009

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

EatinCake posted:

Are you looking for FOLK and traditional style music specifically from those areas, or just any music, because all of those countries these days produce pop, techno, rock, hip hop, etc as well as traditional styles (like U2 is from Ireland for instance but I'm not sure that's the kind of 'Irish' music you're looking for) and it might be easier to recommend based on whatever specific thing you're thinking of? But if you're looking for stuff with a folky root like might be used in the background of a documentary about a country, for Ireland check out Clannad, The Pogues and Afro Celt Sound System, France maybe try Serge Gainsbourg and Yann Tiersen, and for Africa (has particularly a shitload of different traditional styles within different countries too) check out Fela Kuti and Amadou & Mariam.

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Oct 9, 2009

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
I've been looking for more progressive rock/metal that fuses heaviness and technicality with elements of other genres, in particular softer or more melodic stuff. I realise it's kind of a vague request, but I'm not sure how specific I want to get as the bands I've heard like this already have somewhat distinct sounds.

The albums I've been listening to most recently that fit this description are the Ocean Collective's Precambrian, Porcupine Tree's Fear of a Blank Planet, and Karnivool's Sound Awake. Also great are Ayreon, Pain of Salvation and Opeth (Watershed in particular, I've gone of their older stuff a bit). I've tried some others but they haven't stuck with me as much as these.

Also, I can't overstate the value of decent production values and awesome drumming. :downsrim:

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

edit: Geez I've posted a lot of stuff lately :psyduck:

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

I've been looking for more progressive rock/metal that fuses heaviness and technicality with elements of other genres, in particular softer or more melodic stuff. I realise it's kind of a vague request, but I'm not sure how specific I want to get as the bands I've heard like this already have somewhat distinct sounds.

The albums I've been listening to most recently that fit this description are the Ocean Collective's Precambrian, Porcupine Tree's Fear of a Blank Planet, and Karnivool's Sound Awake. Also great are Ayreon, Pain of Salvation and Opeth (Watershed in particular, I've gone of their older stuff a bit). I've tried some others but they haven't stuck with me as much as these.

Also, I can't overstate the value of decent production values and awesome drumming. :downsrim:

You might enjoy some of Tool's stuff. Certainly not everything by them, but I can think of a few individual songs that sound similar to what you cited:
Vicarious
Schism
Aenema

Similar to this is Nine Inch Nails. Again, certainly not everything by NIN fits here, but there are some individual tracks worth listening to:
Every Day Is Exactly The Same
Wish
The Hand That Feeds

I'm a big fan of Stone Sour who do a pretty similar style to what you posted:
Inhale
Orchids
Reborn
Get Inside

They're more "mainstream" I guess, but Breaking Benjamin has some good stuff, too:
So Cold
Follow
Breakdown

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

You might like Dream Theater and Symphony X.

garbage day
Jun 13, 2008

im lollin at you're trollin

DrRimbaud posted:

The F-Minus album "Suburban Blight" had some great examples of male/female vocalists trading off lines. Also, no male component in this one, but the Greek black-metal band Astarte features some pretty intense and impressive female screamed vocals.

garbage day
Jun 13, 2008

im lollin at you're trollin

Wild Cantaloupe posted:

Hi, I have a metal request.

I'm still pretty new to metal so I'd like to expand my horizons a bit. I listen to pretty cannon Stoner/Doom/Post Metal (Neurosis, Melvins, Electric Wizard, Kyuss, Boris, Earth, Cult of Luna, etc.) as well as some of the popular metal acts(Mastodon, Opeth (i find some of their stuff kind of goofy but i quite like Blackwater Park)). I recently listened to Wolves in the Throne Room's "Two Hunters" and absolutely loved it. I would love recommendations for stuff like WitTR or just suggestions of other bands to expand my knowledge of metal because beyond those few areas (and even in them) it is really lacking.

Any help would be great.

For something else in the Cult of Luna vein, try Burst if you haven't already. Deadbird also, for a Southern stoner feel. For more of the WitTR aesthetic, try Nachtmystium and Samothrace, as well as early (stressing early) Ulver and Moonspell.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

Jadz posted:

Tool, Nine Inch Nails, Stone Sour, Breaking Benjamin

Hackuma posted:

You might like Dream Theater and Symphony X.

I've heard and enjoy all of those to varying degrees, but they're not quite what I'm after. Tool is very close, but they kind of have a style all of their own. Dream Theater are great, being the band that actually got me into this stuff in the first place, but I'm trying to move away from their brand of prog and towards a more 'mature' sound (for lack of a better word). I guess I should've specified I'm looking for less well known stuff, but I didn't want to come off like too much of a music snob. :v:

If I had to get more specific, I guess I'm after progressive metal that incorporates unusual composition and instrumentation, while pulling from other genres. Of the bands I mentioned above, Ayreon and Pain of Salvation are probably the best to go by. I love the way Ayreon uses various different styles and instruments, from folk to psychedelic rock, flutes to didgeridoos, in a way that still sounds metallic. Pain of Salvation, on the other hand, could barely be called metal at times for how light and melodic they get. Half of the songs on Perfect Element, for example, are basically just soft piano pieces, but it still manages to sound progressive and fits amazingly well with their heavier stuff.

Anyway, sorry bout the :words:, appreciate the suggestions nonetheless.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

stuff

You should try maudlin of the Well for a start at least, one of the best progressive metal bands ever, bizarre composition and all that, and really, really loving good. If you can stand some harsh vocals these guys are top notch and you should get their albums Bath and Leaving Your Body Map and give them a good listen.

Killy
Mar 15, 2007

Faster, pussycat, kill, kill!
I need new music...

I've been listening a lot to these bands:

The Antlers

Motel Motel

Broken social scene (the kevin drew: "spirit if" album in particular)

anything similar to these or something along the lines judging by this selection is appreciated

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

I guess I should've specified I'm looking for less well known stuff, but I didn't want to come off like too much of a music snob. :v:

Actually you just sound like a man who knows what he wants ;) You'll probably have to wait for someone else to bring you some more suggestions, though, because pretty much all the music on my playlist of this kind is of the mainstream, well-known variety like Breaking Benjamin and Stone Sour.

I figured there was a pretty good chance you'd already heard the stuff I was suggesting but hey - you never know.

One last stab at more "pure" prog, but you've probably heard this stuff too:
Fates Warning
Heal Me (Give it a chance, it picks up)
One

Queensryche
Tribe
Promised Land

Symphony X
Set The World On Fire
Out of the Ashes

You've probably heard this before though, these bands are pretty much the most classic examples of prog metal. Unfortunately, my experience here is pretty limited, and they're about the only ones I'm familiar with since I don't listen to a great deal of progressive stuff. Most of it sounds a little too...."weird" to me, I prefer straight up metal or metalcore V:shobon:V

Hope someone else can throw some better suggestions at you :)

Jadz fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Oct 10, 2009

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I'm currently looking for some heavier shoegaze stuff. I heard Alcest's Souvenirs Du Autre Monde, and was instantly hooked. Looked up a bit myself and found Jesu, and currently digging their Silver EP (haven't had time to hear the rest of their works).

I also tried Isis, but didn't like them because of the vocals. So basically I'm looking for heavy shoegaze guitars, soft vocals and a good melody.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

Skilleddk posted:

I'm currently looking for some heavier shoegaze stuff. I heard Alcest's Souvenirs Du Autre Monde, and was instantly hooked. Looked up a bit myself and found Jesu, and currently digging their Silver EP (haven't had time to hear the rest of their works).

I also tried Isis, but didn't like them because of the vocals. So basically I'm looking for heavy shoegaze guitars, soft vocals and a good melody.

I'm not much of a shoegaze expert, but try M83's "Before the Dawn Heals Us", "Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts", and "Saturdays = Youth" to an extent. Galaxie 500's "On Fire" is good, but focuses more on slow music and soft vocals than guitars.

Also, does anyone know an album that sounds anything like "Skylarking" by XTC?

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Skilleddk posted:

You definitely need to check out the original shoegaze artists if you haven't, Ride's Nowhere, Lush's Split, Slowdive's Souvlaki and My Bloody Valentine's Loveless are all essentials you should at least try. You really need to listen to Jesu's other stuff as well if you like Silver, especially the stuff closest to the EP because their sound has sort of grown more to that softer side, I remember their first album being a bit harsher. They also have a new split out this year with Envy which is awesome.

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Country music like Wayne Hancock or Big Sandy and His Fly-Rite Boys. Something current, as I have plenty of Hank Williams Sr. and other older artists.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
I'm having trouble getting into non-album Lil Wayne, I like most of his studio albums but the sheer amount of Lil Wayne material.

What are some good single tracks?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Skilleddk posted:

Technetium's recommendations are probably a good start but overall I'm not sure there's much of anything that really takes on shoegaze from a metal perspective in the way that Alcest does it on Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde. There's some stuff that takes shoegaze in a more rock-y direction that you might like though, like Airiel or Swervedriver. Still, that's definitely more in the vein of rock and having a bit of a groove rather than the plodding but almost pummeling sound you get with Alcest and the double-kick drum backing it, and they don't do the ethereal vocals quite so much.

edit: I was iffy on mentioning Swervedriver given the qualities you mentioned and went back and listened more and now I'm thinking they're not what you're looking for but probably still worth checking out because they're good and make interesting shoegaze-y rock.

OrganicRobot posted:

I'm not much of a shoegaze expert, but try M83's "Before the Dawn Heals Us", "Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts", and "Saturdays = Youth" to an extent. Galaxie 500's "On Fire" is good, but focuses more on slow music and soft vocals than guitars.
Honestly these aren't great recommendations other than being shoegaze-y. It's fine to recommend stuff if you're not an expert, but in general it's best to give more knowledgeable people a chance to reply before jumping in if you're not too familiar with the genre or the specific albums cited.

het fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 11, 2009

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jesus, Nemo you alright?! Spaz! .... Stop Smiling!
A friend of mine told me to listen to Method Man's Tical and the Blackout albums and I loved them, especially Tical. Recommendations for a Wu Tang beginner?

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Well, I've heard all of the bands you guys mentioned. I really like Slowdive, Swervedriver, M83 and MBV, but listened through them to death. That's why I'm looking for more stuff, and Alcest's and Jesu stuff seemed great.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

HatchetDown posted:

A friend of mine told me to listen to Method Man's Tical and the Blackout albums and I loved them, especially Tical. Recommendations for a Wu Tang beginner?

Wu-Tang beginner? If you haven't gotten Enter The Wu-Tang, do so right away.

For solo, both of Raekwon's Only Built 4 Cuban Linx are good. Ghostface Killah's Ironman and Supreme Clientele and GZA's Liquid Swords.

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

stuff

Technetium posted:

maudlin of the Well
Definitely check them out. Bath and Leaving Your Body Map are both great albums, as is My Fruit Psychobells. And apparently they just put out a reunion album earlier this year, which I was not aware of until just now. Sweet!

Edit: New album is here, free download.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Also for the Jesu shoegazy guy, I guess I forgot where Silver took place in the Jesu chronology. Heart Ache and Jesu, the EP and album before it, are both in a fairly different vein than Silver where Jesu sort of came into their own, along with the album Conquerer, which I highly recommend. Out of the rest of their work, the new EP Opiate Sun is much in the style of those two, and the new album is pretty cool but tends on more of the drone/experimental side than the other works.

As for other stuff that's not old shoegaze, Alcest or Jesu, it's sort of a wasteland, at least for that metal-influenced shoegaze stuff. Broadrick (the man behind Jesu) released an album with Aaron Turner (the guy from Isis) under the bandname Greymachine which is really cool but harsh, really on the harsh drone side. Nadja released an album this year of cover songs called When I See The Sun Always Shines on TV which is similar to Jesu but more wall-of-sound approach. Neige's (the man behind Alcest) new album with the band Amesoeurs borrows a lot from Alcest and mixes it with black metal mostly, you should give it a shot and see if it hooks you.

grazim posted:

Definitely check them out. Bath and Leaving Your Body Map are both great albums, as is My Fruit Psychobells. And apparently they just put out a reunion album earlier this year, which I was not aware of until just now. Sweet!

Edit: New album is here, free download.

Yeah, I didn't mention that because it's really not all that similar to their old albums, even though it was supposed to be written at the same time. That isn't to say the album's bad, it just didn't sound a whole lot like maudlin of the Well, much like the new album Cynic put out, it's a lot more...restrained I guess. Less heavy parts, more softer prog stuff.

Technetium fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 12, 2009

Diamond Back
Jul 8, 2005

You dont always have to fuck her hard....
I am taking a 5000 mile drive here in a few weeks and I need to get some good road trip music. Any advice? I am looking to expand my musical tastes anyways so recommend anything.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Diamond Back posted:

I am taking a 5000 mile drive here in a few weeks and I need to get some good road trip music. Any advice? I am looking to expand my musical tastes anyways so recommend anything.

DJ mixes! There's a thread for them both in phiz and in musician's lounge. Especially try the ones by Threatis, TheWevel, and tylertfb. But mixes are all over the place; they can fill up a long drive pretty fast and if you don't like one of them, just push next track.

Also, 69 Love Songs by the magnetic fields can fill some time. Pretty self-explanatory title on that one.

It would be nice to have SOME criteria though :shobon: Um, other than that, just look at the pitchfork lists of the best albums of the 70s/80s/90s/00s and get some of them at random.

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009

DrRimbaud posted:

This experimental metal band has a female vocalist who screams, growls and sings: iwrestledabearonce. I liked "Ulrich Firelord: Breaker of Mountains."

From Us To Sunset also has a female vocalist, and their lyrics are sung in Russian. Fun stuff. I liked "Sin Way." I heard a cover of "Miasma" by The Black Dahlia Murder from them.

Both bands use samples though...

Can anyone recommend bands that sing in languages other than English? I'm leaning towards European languages. No Japanese bands, though-- I've already heard a bunch. I'd love to hear a Spanish-speaking indie rock band.

eminkey2003 fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 13, 2009

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Lately I've been listening to the Brand New albums 'Deja Entendu' and 'The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me', and I guess I want to find some more music similar in style to those. Any ideas?

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Diamond Back posted:

Here's 6 of my mixes from the last year and a half or so.

http://www.ottawaraves.com/threatis/mixes/Boogie%20Howser%20-%20DRINK.FIGHT.gently caress.mp3
http://www.ottawaraves.com/threatis/mixes/Boogie%20Howser%20-%20Gang%20Signs%20and%20Expensive%20Wine.mp3
http://www.ottawaraves.com/threatis/mixes/Boogie%20Howser%20-%20HAI%20didn%27t%20know%20what%20sizzurp%20is.mp3
http://www.ottawaraves.com/threatis/mixes/Boogie%20Howser%20-%20I%20Bit%20My%20Tounge%20Really%20Hard%20While%20Making%20This.mp3
http://www.ottawaraves.com/threatis/mixes/Boogie%20Howser%20-%20MESSY%20PROMO.mp3
http://www.ottawaraves.com/threatis/mixes/Boogie%20Howser%20-%20Showdown.mp3

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

I'm looking for mellow, downtempo-ish stuff with woman's vocals. Anything with strings in the background is a plus.

VVVV Cool thanks

UNCUT PHILISTINE fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 13, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Without Pants posted:

I'm looking for mellow, downtempo-ish stuff with woman's vocals. Anything with strings in the background is a plus.

Emiliana Torrini

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0Ao8l-qPgo