Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

qbert posted:

Question. I'm only now starting to gently caress with world tendency and whatnot. Is it impossible for me to turn a world Pure White if I've already beaten all the bosses in that world? My understanding is that to get a world Pure White, I first turn it pure black, defeat the Phantom NPC and the Primeval Demon, and then beat a boss. Since I've already killed all 3 bosses in world 2, am I screwed for Pure White there this playthrough?

My roommate got pure white totally on accident by helping people out as a blue phantom a whole lot. I'm not sure if he was killing bosses with them or what, but he never killed a boss in body form or anything on his own, never went pure black, but got the Magic Sword Makoto in 4-2 which the wiki says requires pure white. So it could be possible if you just keep helping people in whichever area you want pure white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

mikeraskol posted:

Edit: What about a scraping spear? Is that good for a melee with a shield, or is it better for fending off black phantoms and things?
Scraping Spears are only really useful as a "gently caress you" in PVP. Don't use one for PVE.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
just to make sure I have this straight before dropping all of my stones on a few items. The unique upgraded weapons (ie lava bow) will have the exact same stats regardless of what weapon you initially used for the upgrade correct?

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
I think dying to a player in body form as a black phantom gives white tendency. I just went from mostly black to mostly white in world 4 due entirely to 2 failed invasions.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

MMD3 posted:

just to make sure I have this straight before dropping all of my stones on a few items. The unique upgraded weapons (ie lava bow) will have the exact same stats regardless of what weapon you initially used for the upgrade correct?

yes make it as cheaply as possible.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

MMD3 posted:

Yes.

EDIT: Meat Cleaver is the best for this, since it just takes a regular Club or Great Club, no +s.

It also means you don't have to turn your Compound Long Bow into the Lava Bow, you can use a shittier bow.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Any tips for a first time player? I am using Soldier and find the spear to be the best weapon ever so far. The range plus hard attack usually keeps me out of trouble.

Also, any general tips that will help out that isn't so obvious?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
God drat. Away from the thread for a weekend and I had 500+ posts to read. Good job all.

Lots of people are asking about what weapon upgrade paths they should take, so I'm going to try my hand at a little mini guide. I've never been to NG+ but I've played through the normal game 3 times, so if anyone who's got more experience with high level play wants to chime in feel free.

Most of the base weapon choices for the weapons are personal preference. Feel free to replace them with whatever weapon type you like as long as it's actually able to accept that path.

And I'll say it again: If you're going to make a unique weapon with a demon's soul (scraping spear, sword of searching, etc) use the crappiest weapon that'll go up that path. You'll save yourself a bunch of sharp/hard stones on the way to the +7 or whatever you need. Save your better caliber weapons for the stone upgrade paths where it'll actually matter.

General play / first run through the game / I don't know what the gently caress I'm doing -> dragon knight/long sword or claymore (extremely useful in all areas except 2-x and damage isn't based on your stats so you can't go wrong)

I like casting lots of spells! (high magic) -> crescent estoc or uchigatana (for regen and damage bonus from Magic stat), upgraded kris knife, moon winged spear

I like hitting things with big fuckoff weapons! (high strength) -> dragon claymore, crushing great axe, meat cleaver, lava bow (for ranged attacks)

I like being sneaky and stabbing people! (high dex) -> fatal secret dagger, white bow, tearing broad sword or uchigatana (even though I usually start as a thief this is the path I have the least experience with -- take with a grain of salt)

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

ImpactVector posted:

General play / first run through the game / I don't know what the gently caress I'm doing -> dragon knight/long sword or claymore (extremely useful in all areas except 2-x and damage isn't based on your stats so you can't go wrong)

I like hitting things with big fuckoff weapons! (high strength) -> dragon claymore, crushing great axe, meat cleaver, lava bow (for ranged attacks)

I'm sort of in these two categories. Can you ever use something like the Meat Cleaver 1h if you have enough strength or is it strictly 2h? If I'm using a high strength dude but I love shields what would you recommend? I get nervous about dodging and like to have a shield most of the time.

Edit: I don't catch a bunch of spells but I do use them occasionally like the Warding spell when I'm fighting very difficult enemies. I figure I can get by with spice or whatever, I'm probably pumping magic and faith to 18 a piece for the Talisman of Beasts but that is about it.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 12, 2009

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

mikeraskol posted:

I'm sort of in these two categories. Can you ever use something like the Meat Cleaver 1h if you have enough strength or is it strictly 2h? If I'm using a high strength dude but I love shields what would you recommend? I get nervous about dodging and like to have a shield most of the time.

You can onehand the Meat Cleaver I think with 30 Str. I onehand it all the time in PVP.

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Just finished the game WOOOOO

Going to restart a new character tonight and follow the wiki to collect everything.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

mikeraskol posted:

You can use any weapon 1h, but you'll be swinging a lot slower. I've found that the claymore can be used fairly effectively with a shield if you need to, but they're best left for if you want to 2-hand them.

If you're definite on the shield thing, I'd take a look at the dragon longsword first. That'll keep you for a good long while. Honestly until you get to NG+ my understanding is that the stat bonuses aren't enough to out weigh the fire damage from dragon weapons.

As you get more comfortable with the game it's possible that you'll change your mind about the shield though. I'm personally a fan of having the reach of the 2 handers, but then again I know what areas I can get away with it in.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Does the long sword of searching work if held in your off hand while you cast soul ray or the like?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

ChaoticSeven posted:

Does the long sword of searching work if held in your off hand while you cast soul ray or the like?

From what I remember, yes. To check, equip it and talk to the maiden. If you look at your luck stat you can see your item find chance.

Edit: And I'm pretty sure it also works even if you're 2-handing whatever weapon is in your right hand.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

I prefer the Keel Smasher to the Meat Cleaver. It is a little harder to get but unless you have high Dex it's probably going to be stronger and it has better range.

Golgozor
Jun 20, 2002

Medicine Snakes
Ugh, I haven't looked in the wiki in awhile. Somebody help me find the list of things the colorless demon soul can upgrade. I cannot find it (the list that just had colorless upgrades) anymore.

PSN ID(PS4): Steamshovel_Dan WiiU: Steamshovel (not playing it ATM)

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I read the wiki, but it doesn't really go in depth into this, so hopefully some clarification here.

How exactly does the weapon upgrade process work? For example, right now I have a +3 Winged Spear. I understand that a requirement for the Scraping Spear is a +7 Winged Spear, so I'm gonna go for that and use it in the meantime (because I enjoy being able to block while still thrusting and have been focusing on endurance).

However, I also want to upgrade a scimitar to a crescent or something that will give me MP regen to cast miracles more regularly. What determines the upgrade branch? Simply meeting a certain point of +x? Obtaining the appropriate -stone materials?

edit: Never mind, I'm retarded. Required materials: +6 Scimitar, 2 Splinter of Moonlightstone :downs:

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Industrial posted:

I prefer the Keel Smasher to the Meat Cleaver. It is a little harder to get but unless you have high Dex it's probably going to be stronger and it has better range.

Only if you enchant it with magic or turpentine/sticky white stuff.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Man, there's a ton of unique/valuable weapons that have no stats/link on the wiki. :( Someone should update that.

What are my options for a 1h weapon that will give MP regen? I just beat Phalanx and killed the Red Dragon, going to approach Tower Knight soon.

Golgozor
Jun 20, 2002

Medicine Snakes

Gazaville Slugger posted:

I read the wiki, but it doesn't really go in depth into this, so hopefully some clarification here.

How exactly does the weapon upgrade process work? For example, right now I have a +3 Winged Spear. I understand that a requirement for the Scraping Spear is a +7 Winged Spear, so I'm gonna go for that and use it in the meantime (because I enjoy being able to block while still thrusting and have been focusing on endurance).

However, I also want to upgrade a scimitar to a crescent or something that will give me MP regen to cast miracles more regularly. What determines the upgrade branch? Simply meeting a certain point of +x? Obtaining the appropriate -stone materials?

edit: Never mind, I'm retarded. Required materials: +6 Scimitar, 2 Splinter of Moonlightstone :downs:

Man, there's a ton of unique/valuable weapons that have no stats/link on the wiki. Someone should update that.

What are my options for a 1h weapon that will give MP regen? I just beat Phalanx and killed the Red Dragon, going to approach Tower Knight soon.

WAIT, don't waste your wing spear on a scraping one, upgrade a short spear to +7 for your scraper.
As for what determines the branch, you upgrade your weapon up to the appropriate branching point.
Your options for a 1h mana regenerator is the crescent falchion in 4-1, or upgrading a weapon to the crescent path. Any of the asian swords can be made crescent; the smaller European swords (the broadsword at least) can be made crescent. Daggers can be made crescent. I suggest a crescent shotel or kilij.

Golgozor fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 12, 2009

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Word of advice, don't use the Winged Spear to create a Scraping Spear. You can make a Scraping Spear from a Short Spear, which you can easily buy from the vendor in the 1-x levels. The Winged Spear is much harder to obtain, and probably the best spear in the game when upgraded correctly. Scraping Spear is only useful against Black Phantoms.

Man, there's a ton of unique/valuable weapons that have no stats/link on the wiki. :( Someone should update that.

Go to 4-1 and get the Crescent Falchion+1. It's really good for early/mid game.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

qbert posted:

Go to 4-1 and get the Crescent Falchion+1. It's really good for early/mid game.

I still use it end game, as its the strongest thing I have besides the Meat Cleaver/other huge weapons. Unless you have high luck (I have luck 10 at Soul Level 104) or really low Magic then the Blueblood Sword is good, not great.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
So, beginning poo poo:

I'm at this part where I see 2 dragons chilling. I can't seem to advance anywhere there, so I try this bridge but a dragon always comes along and tries to kill me. What do I do?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Well, since I have two winged spears, does it matter that much if I use one to upgrade to the Scraping Spear? I know I can always go back and purchase a short spear if I need to.

What's a good upgrade path? I like the Mercury poison option, but Quality/Fatal are attractive as well. Any advice on that?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

So, beginning poo poo:

I'm at this part where I see 2 dragons chilling. I can't seem to advance anywhere there, so I try this bridge but a dragon always comes along and tries to kill me. What do I do?

Nobody left you a message? Run straight through. It also helps if take all your armor off on the bridge, your endurance will last longer until you reach the first tower. Hope that helps. :)

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

So, beginning poo poo:

Run like your rear end is on fire. It will be if you don't.

Edit: Gazaville Slugger :argh:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

So, beginning poo poo:

De-equip stuff until you can sprint at full speed, and then just time it right. There IS enough time to get across.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
are there any instances where the upgrades would lower the damage of a weapon? my current I'm through 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, and I'm still carrying around my long sword (started knight) which is at +6. My upgrade plans are to take my short spear to scraping spear, my long sword to Morion blade, and my short compound bow to lava bow. Is it safe to assume when I get my long sword to +8 the Morion blade will still be a damage boost? I'm just worried about wasting all of the upgrades I've put into it considering it's my main weapon. I'm still waiting for a decent 1-2h sword upgrade, hoping to find a katana but I think my high str stat will keep me with big gently caress-off things for a while.

I've got the purple flame shield, is it safe to pour all of my upgrades into it or will I be finding a better shield soon?

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Hamburger Test posted:

Only if you enchant it with magic or turpentine/sticky white stuff.

Hmm, for me Keel Smasher has 369 attack power while Meat Cleaver has 295. My Keel Smasher is +2 but it was more powerful even before that which is why I upgraded it.

30 Str
16 Dex
10 Magic
16 Faith

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Golgozor posted:

Ugh, I haven't looked in the wiki in awhile. Somebody help me find the list of things the colorless demon soul can upgrade. I cannot find it (the list that just had colorless upgrades) anymore.

Colorless demon's souls upgrade any unique weapon or shield. Anything you have crafted using a Boss demon soul plus special weapons/shields like Keel Smasher or Adjudiactor's shield.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Well, since I have two winged spears, does it matter that much if I use one to upgrade to the Scraping Spear? I know I can always go back and purchase a short spear if I need to.

What's a good upgrade path? I like the Mercury poison option, but Quality/Fatal are attractive as well. Any advice on that?

Any of those would probably be good.

And yeah, you can use one of your winged spears for the scraping, but it takes more sharp stones per level than the short spear, so it's much cheaper to use that.

Golgozor
Jun 20, 2002

Medicine Snakes

MMD3 posted:

are there any instances where the upgrades would lower the damage of a weapon? my current I'm through 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, and I'm still carrying around my long sword (started knight) which is at +6. My upgrade plans are to take my short spear to scraping spear, my long sword to Morion blade, and my short compound bow to lava bow. Is it safe to assume when I get my long sword to +8 the Morion blade will still be a damage boost? I'm just worried about wasting all of the upgrades I've put into it considering it's my main weapon. I'm still waiting for a decent 1-2h sword upgrade, hoping to find a katana but I think my high str stat will keep me with big gently caress-off things for a while.

I've got the purple flame shield, is it safe to pour all of my upgrades into it or will I be finding a better shield soon?

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/purple-flame-shield

That's the upgrade costs (more than other shields) and effects. I was upgrading mine with the intent of making it dark, then I realized I liked the hitres and that I could switch to dark silver for antimagic. Compare it with the other shields in the wiki. If you want to spend the stones on it, think of it as a much lower weight tower shield (with fire resist). It also makes flamelurker your little bitch.

Golgozor fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 12, 2009

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

MMD3 posted:

Yes, there are instances where an upgrade branch will make your weapon weaker. This is usually augmented by some other boost given to the weapon, like say, fire damage or magic damage or giving you 'S' rank damage bonus on a particular stat. Do your research before upgrading. For example, Moon Winged Spear is weaker than Winged Spear+6, but it adds magic damage, and once you get to Moon Winged Spear +4/5, it's ultimately stronger.

Also, Purple Flame Shield is one of the top 3 shields in the game (upgraded Abjudicator and Dark Silver shields being the other two) and definitely #1 in my book in terms of ease of getting/upgrading. Most players use it as their shield for the entire length of the game.

qbert fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 12, 2009

Golgozor
Jun 20, 2002

Medicine Snakes

Industrial posted:

Colorless demon's souls upgrade any unique weapon or shield. Anything you have crafted using a Boss demon soul plus special weapons/shields like Keel Smasher or Adjudiactor's shield.

I should have been more clear in my question, what I'm looking for is what attributes/abilities get upgraded on those weapon and shields through the use of colorless demon souls (like adjudicator's shield regens more hp when you upgrade it). There is a list that only has the unique stuff with stats on the wiki somewhere but I can't get to it anymore. I can still look up each individual weapon/shield.

Sadly some of the unique stuff in the wiki just says "can be upgraded with colorless demon souls" without telling what stats/abilities get changed.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Industrial posted:

Hmm, for me Keel Smasher has 369 attack power while Meat Cleaver has 295. My Keel Smasher is +2 but it was more powerful even before that which is why I upgraded it.

30 Str
16 Dex
10 Magic
16 Faith

1 damage type versus 2. I'd still say if you don't use items or magic to enchant the keel smasher the meat cleaver should outperform it in most scenarios.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Umm...first boss spoiler I guess?

I'm fighting this ... thing that has a bunch of those blobs with shields attached to it. I took it on for like 5 minutes, just trying to attack poo poo, but was eventually taken out. Any trick to getting behind them? I also added flames to my spear via an item but it didn't seem to do too much.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

MMD3 posted:

I literally used the Purple Flame Shield from 1-1 to the last boss.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

I'm fighting this ... thing that has a bunch of those blobs with shields attached to it. I took it on for like 5 minutes, just trying to attack poo poo, but was eventually taken out. Any trick to getting behind them? I also added flames to my spear via an item but it didn't seem to do too much.

Use firebombs to take out large chunks of them. Dodge a lot, hide behind pillars if you need to heal.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

They're slow as balls. Just run around, get behind the main body, and stab away. Flame is the correct choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
A handful of firebombs should make that a bit easier.

Otherwise just keep circling them with your shield up. Over time you can separate a couple from the pack.

Ugh, beaten - twice - within seconds.

• Locked thread