Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Anything for Tales of the Abyss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Anything for Tales of the Abyss?

There's a lot of missable stuff, like a metric fuckton. Just use a guide...

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

nene. posted:

There's a lot of missable stuff, like a metric fuckton. Just use a guide...
No thanks!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Actually, that'd be the opposite of my advice. Just go through the game playing it as you want and don't worry about getting everything. Some of it you can't get until a second playthrough anyway, so if you want to use a guide use it THEN.

It might be worth finding out Field of Fonons attacks, though. Essentially, during the course of a battle little rings will appear in certain places that correspond to one of the 6 elements. Certain Artes when performed within these rings, if they match the right element, will utilize a special move or variation of the arte. Like an upward strike will become something fire-related. These attacks are generally pretty good, and later on in the game when you get Sunshine Fon Slots you might want to pay attention to this stuff. So it might be worthwhile to look through a quick FAQ to find out which artes correspond to which elements.

You can equip capacity cores to help boost certain stats...however the game IIRC doesn't immediately show you how. When you start getting Capacity Cores make sure to check them out to see if they are better than the ones you currently have equipped.

If you want to use a Green Fon Slot for the Stealing ability, don't put it on anything for Luke. It works much better on Guy's artes.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Ok guys i'm starting: Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and Chrono Trigger. Any tips?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Ronnie posted:

Chrono Trigger.
When you get to Zeal, there is a woman who will ask you if she should burn a plant. Tell her to plant it, not burn it. If you miss her, she can still be found later. Just don't tell her to burn it.

Also in Zeal there are some rooms that open up if you find three elemental books in a certain order. Just make sure to find these rooms once you get to Zeal, as you will lose the chance later.

There are some chests that you can open in 1000 AD and 600 AD when you get your pendant powered up. Do NOT open them in 1000 AD or 600 AD. Instead, go to them in 600 AD, and choose "No" when you try to open them. Then hop to 1000 AD and open them. If you follow this method, the item will be upgraded. You can then go back to 600 AD to get the lesser version of the item as well.

Your first time through, Ayla is good to have in your party as often as possible. Her Charm ability can steal awesome equipment from enemies and bosses, and since she doesn't need to equip weapons you will find her useful during a certain part.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

McCoy Pauley posted:

Anything I should know before really getting into Disgaea 2 (I'm playing it on the PSP if that makes any difference)? After about an hour or so, the basic mechanics seem pretty much like Disgaea 1 -- anything to keep in mind about the more advanced mechanics, character creation, etc.? Or can I basically approach it like Disgaea 1?

Each character and monster has a class/type special attribute so make sure you check this out first before storming into battle. For example, dragons are immune to fire attacks, so even if one has a -50% fire resistance fire spells won't do squat.

There are no statisticians in this game, instead the felony level you have counts as a semi-permanent experience booster (allbeit an incredibly loving tedious to get exp boost)

I dunno much about the PSP version apart from having loads of cool extra poo poo to do

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

What should I know about Digital Devil Saga? I played through the first 'dungeon' once but haven't played it in years since. I'm thinking about going back to it. I'm kind of surprised that this isn't in the wiki, so go hog wild with suggestions.

Asking this again on the new page. I played an hour into it now, just did the scene at the karma temple. Anything really important I should know about? Also what are the best stats to focus on for your main character? Anything else you can think of to mention would be appreciated.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

McCoy Pauley posted:

Anything I should know before really getting into Disgaea 2 (I'm playing it on the PSP if that makes any difference)? After about an hour or so, the basic mechanics seem pretty much like Disgaea 1 -- anything to keep in mind about the more advanced mechanics, character creation, etc.? Or can I basically approach it like Disgaea 1?
There's a simple code you can use to open up Axel mode without a new game+ if you want to unlock magichange early. Do remember that the difficulty curve is a little sharper and you may not fully understand the story if you aren't familiar with Adell. Fortunately, magichange plus a decent powerlevel map in the first chapter will simplify things.

You can also check the awesome wiki for a quick look at what others have already said about the game.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ronnie posted:

Ok guys i'm starting: Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and Chrono Trigger. Any tips?

Metroid Prime 2 will pit you against (and pretty early) one of the most infuriating loving bosses--the Boost Guardian. What sucks is that there's no "trick" to beating her; you've just gotta go at it brass-balls style and try not to get too pissed when she slaughters you. Some advice I can give is to keep loving moving and pay attention--she'll inadvertently break some of the columns in the room, dropping power-ups (which you'll be pretty grateful for!). When it's moving around on the floor like a toddler on amphetamines, use bombs (in morph ball mode), but try to foresee when your bombs are going to connect so you can change out of morph mode and give the bitch a facefull of charged light beam.

Some people get lucky and beat the boss on the first try, and I sincerely hope you're one of them, because it took me dozens of re-loads across two days to finally bring her down.

Oh, and don't forget to scan the bitch before you toast her, if you're after scans.

Save often.

The "light world/dark world" mechanic is pretty cool. Remember that things you do in one world may change the local situation in the other. Also, if you get stuck and don't know what to do, try backtracking to all the portals you've already used if you've gained new abilities since you last visited. Lots of goodies can be earned that way, and new paths may be opened.

Don't be afraid to retreat to the light world periodically to recharge your energy/ammo during the early game. There will come a time when it's not necessary, so don't get too stressed out about the fact that the very air in the dark world will kill you more quickly than most enemies could.

The ammo system is kind of wonky. Killing enemies/breaking containers with the light gun yields dark ammo and vice-versa. And if you run out of a type of ammo and need to open a door, don't worry--charging your gun will allow you to fire one normal shot at a time of the light or dark beam.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
Anything I should know about Golden Sun?

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

GeneralFai posted:

The ammo system is kind of wonky. Killing enemies/breaking containers with the light gun yields dark ammo and vice-versa. And if you run out of a type of ammo and need to open a door, don't worry--charging your gun will allow you to fire one normal shot at a time of the light or dark beam.
One nice thing about the ammo system is that, unlike most power-ups, the light/dark ammo will automatically be pulled towards you as if you were using the charge beam. There are also countless respawning containers everywhere in the world. Keeping that in mind, it should be very easy to keep your ammo full while running around the map without even having to slow down. That also means you shouldn't be afraid to use your light/dark ammo on normal enemies.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

internet inc posted:

Anything I should know about Golden Sun?

The game's pretty straightforward. By messing around with who has what Djinns equipped, you can change their classes, but I did just fine having the earth guy with all the Earth Djinns and so on. There are a few things you might want guides for, though:

Some of the Djinns are random battles on the world map in specific spots. A lot of them are obvious (a little island in the middle of a lake with nothing else on it, for example), but some aren't so easy to see.

Most of the strongest equips are rare drops from enemies in the final dungeon. If you plan on playing the second game, go ahead and look up how to break the RNG to get each one as easily as possible. Think about it as saving time. You're going to get the drop eventually, but you're "missing out" on all the experience and money you would be getting by farming regularly. :v:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I just downloaded Hitman: Blood Money on Steam. What should I know?

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Necc0 posted:

That you're meant to screw up and replay the levels over and over and over until you're a badass.

You'll still be finding new things out after ten replays of the same level that make you an even more silent and efficient killer. Don't aim for perfection right away - get familiar with the levels, the timing of the events, and you'll giggle with glee as you watch people die by a rigged chandelier or an explosive hidden in a cake, even though it'll totally ruin your Silent Assassin ranking.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Asking this again on the new page. I played an hour into it now, just did the scene at the karma temple. Anything really important I should know about? Also what are the best stats to focus on for your main character? Anything else you can think of to mention would be appreciated.

It's really counterintuitive, and can definitely come back to bite you in the rear end if you don't plan ahead, especially in DDS2, though in 1 you still see a bunch of it.

The most important thing to do is to take every character down the elemental nuke tree opposite of their alignment--the one they're weak against. So, Agi for Serph, Zio for Gale, Zan for Argilla, etc. This is because, at the end of those trees is the skill that lets you null that element, which saves an immense amount of hassle, especially if you beeline for them.

To keep things simple, just use Argilla and Gale, as soon as you get him, and don't bother with Heat or Cielo. You have to use Cielo for one dungeon, but it's an easy one, and if you keep your skills broad enough on Gale and Serph, you'll be fine, and can switch him out for the boss anyway.

The Ancient God Mantra, and the two that follow it, are far and away the most handy skills you'll get. MP Thief lets you run for a really long time and counts as a weakness hit against mute-weak enemies, and the ones after that give you MP walk abilities, which mean you can be cheap and lazy.

Ultimately I preferred Serph as a physical fighter, but having a buttload of MP and Mana Walk means you'll never need to worry about healing, since his MP will be pretty much endless. I did Magic my first time, and physical my second, but both definitely work just fine. Hunt skills are more effective on physical dudes in general, though.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

WorldWarWonderful posted:

That you're meant to screw up and replay the levels over and over and over until you're a badass.

You'll still be finding new things out after ten replays of the same level that make you an even more silent and efficient killer. Don't aim for perfection right away - get familiar with the levels, the timing of the events, and you'll giggle with glee as you watch people die by a rigged chandelier or an explosive hidden in a cake, even though it'll totally ruin your Silent Assassin ranking.

This. Don't worry about getting a good ranking, just do your drat job however you please. Sometimes going all Terminator on fools is fun, but catching your target unawares as he stands in front of a staircase is just wonderful, especially reading the newspaper after a hit and reading a report saying "Huh, everybody in this entire building died from accidentally falling down stairs. That's crazy."

That said, I never personally used the shotgun, SMG, or assault rifle. Your silverballers should be more than enough for any job, especially once fully upgraded.

Pyruvate
Apr 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Necc0 posted:

It's a lot harder to just go rambo in this than in Contracts, but is way more open in the ways you can accomplish your objectives. The best way to kill people is to make it looks like an accident.

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?

Dr Snofeld posted:

Also still in the market for Tropico tips.

Ah, a terrific game! I can't wait for Tropico 3. Assuming you bought the Reloaded pack with all three games:

Tropico 1/Machu Pichu Expansion:
-Play nice. Ruling through repression is expensive and inefficient, it's good to have a decent army to keep the militarist faction happy but providing for your people as a benevolent ruler will keep you in power in the face of free elections. Not that it isn't fun to be a dictator sometimes :)
-Use the Russian economic aid edict as early as possible. Tenements are crucial in increasing housing satisfaction and getting rid of those lovely shacks, and 1/2 off is great. They also make apartments cheaper, which is good housing for your better educated/paid workers.
-Don't be afraid to overspend. The Worldbank doesn't cut off your credit until -$10k, so as long as your spending on buildings that will make you money, don't worry about being in debt, because you'll be out of it soon enough.
-On that note, remember that money is pretty easy to make under normal/mildly difficult play settings. Get an industry set up first (secondary production buildings like sawmills and canneries work wonders when placed near logging camps and fisherman's wharves), then plop down tourism buildings in another district, and you've got pretty guaranteed income. This is sandbox mode I'm talking about, the reason there are a lot of scenarios and options available is to increase the challenge.
-You can change the name of building clusters on your island by clicking, you'll see random text floating on the map and that's the name of the "city".
-Watch your international relations, because fighting off an invasion takes one hell of an army. Consider an alliance with one superpower in order to prevent this from happening. Trade delegations have nice bonuses.
-You're going to need two docks within about 10 game years, and at least 3 (with one set to yachts only) by the time you get tourism set up. Don't forget to place your airport by your hotels.
-Many production buildings have upgrades that vastly improve their profitability. Get them. Some require a power plant in the vicinity.
-Power plants' areas of effect can be extended by substations, but these buildings produce no additional power. You'd be surprised how many players have trouble with this concept.
-Also, play the tutorials and easier scenarios, they help a lot.

Tropico 2 Pirate Cove (since I'm assuming you got the pack):
-Abandon everything you learned in Tropico 1 as totally irrelevant.
-Remember that on their lowest price setting, Tier 1 pirate entertainment buildings charge no fees. This is to keep your poor pirates happy. As soon as all of your pirates are making money, raise the prices.
-Keep your pirate housing/entertainment neighborhood separate from your captive industry area.
-Don't be afraid to use the Black Market to equip your ships, or even to get a negative balance doing this. You'll make it back, because they'll have cruise-appropriate weapons from the get-go. Also, setting ships to harass (which requires Muskets, which you're not going to produce locally for a loooong time) keeps them out of harms way.
-Autosave is good, because losing a ship on a cruise--especially if it's a big one with your best crew and a lot of weapons--is a massive financial setback and will really piss you off. I personally don't mind replacing them realistically, but this is a game-killer for some people.
-If you're not going to be loading a previous save when your nice new Frigate dies, remember to always have a spare. Have three captains? Build four ships!
-Multiple ships cruising in the same sector at the same time will support each other in battle, but getting them to set sail at the same time can be a pain in the rear end.
-Make sure every pirate has a house. This takes a lot of wood.
-You want two sawmills and 1.5-2 lumber camps per sawmill.
-Remember to scale up your entertainment facilities as your pirates gain in rank to keep them happy.
-Your biggest money-maker is cruising, your industries tied to it will generate losses (no income), and your entertainment sector will make enough money to cover its expenses/add a bit to your coffers--BUT the inputs required (beer, cigars, etc.) will offset this.
-Watch your international relations, as invasions are almost impossible to fight off. Consider being adopted by a patron to prevent invasion, but bear in mind this will reduce your cruise prey by a third. This is a good option if you have really lovely relations with one of the Great Powers and you've had a captive escape that's revealed the location of your island.

Above all, remember that Tropico 3 comes out in a week!!! I've played the demo and it's basically Tropico 1 with beautiful graphics, crisper gameplay, and a ton of great new features that make it both more fun and fix gripes with the original. I think the best part is that universal wages for particular levels of education can now be set :)

Does anyone have any advice for X3: Terran Conflict? The learning curve is pretty loving steep for that game, and people on the Edgesoft forums seem surprised when you tell them you're having trouble making millions of credits in your first few days of playing.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Necc0 posted:

A simple tip: Don't leave your suit behind. Doing so requires a suit retrieval fee, meaning you earn less. Always find a way to leave a level with your original equipment and suit.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Alright, this game is pretty old and I don't imagine many people have played it, but does anyone have any tips for Dragon Warrior Monsters?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

modestduty posted:

Does anyone have any advice for X3: Terran Conflict? The learning curve is pretty loving steep for that game, and people on the Edgesoft forums seem surprised when you tell them you're having trouble making millions of credits in your first few days of playing.

I'd be a little interested in that myself. Does anything carry over between X3 Reunion and X3 Terran Conflict?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

What should I know about Digital Devil Saga? I played through the first 'dungeon' once but haven't played it in years since. I'm thinking about going back to it. I'm kind of surprised that this isn't in the wiki, so go hog wild with suggestions.

Much of the basic system stuff from Nocturne still applies; but the shield
spells are extremely useful in some fights. And because weaknesses/strength have such a huge effect, make sure to analyze everything, and get the spyglass when you can to save the skill slot.

When the intro says that devouring is the only way to survive, it's not kidding.
Well, it's the only way to get enough skill growth. Get at least one of your
characters a good eating skill + shared atma + iron stomach and try to munch as many enemies to the death as you can. If in P3 the basic random encounter formula is "hit weakness to knock down, all out attack" here it's "hit weakness to scare, devour".

Elemental defences are grouped with the attack magics of the same kind. So
it is probably a good idea to have Serph spend some time learning fire magic.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Necc0 posted:

-Upgrade your silverballers. Seriously. Make them your number one priority.

-The Syringes are your friends. You can sprint at people from behind and put them down swiftly a well as silently. Perfect for taking down guards when you're in a restricted area, or when you're just too god damned impatient to sneak up with fiber wire.

-Your RU-AP mines are incredibly versatile. Use them.

-If you're the patient type, you can learn a lot just by chilling out in the map menu. Guard routes become apparent rather quickly, and that can often mean the difference between Terrorist and Silent Assassin.

-Get used to loving up. It will happen. Gun everyone down and flee in a clown suit if that's what it takes to get the job done. Eventually you'll learn the ins and outs of the level, and then you can worry about that precious Silent Assassin rating.

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?

wdarkk posted:

I'd be a little interested in that myself. Does anything carry over between X3 Reunion and X3 Terran Conflict?

Basically everything carries over. They're extremely similar and what worked in X3 works in X3TC. Once I have my first sector trader I'm golden, it's just making that first million credits to get the software/have spending money for the ST (assuming you can hijack or start with a freighter) that's difficult.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Alright, this game is pretty old and I don't imagine many people have played it, but does anyone have any tips for Dragon Warrior Monsters?

Wow. It's been forever since I played this, but I loved it when I did. I always thought it was loads better then the original pokemon.

Anyways, if I remember correctly, devils and dragons are probably the better of the races. However, to get the good monsters, you have to breed like crazy. Basically, save before you go on a breeding session to see what is going to be created, because if you don't like it, you'll definitely want to reload. Almost all of the best monsters in the game can only be obtained through breeding. You're also going to want to plan ahead. Breed a monster just so you have it and can breed with it later.

Of course, it also helps (just like in the original pokemon) if you have another gameboy to trade with. You can get some pretty good monsters easily by trading with someone else. I doubt that's much of an option nowadays though, not like it really was back then either.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

modestduty posted:

Basically everything carries over. They're extremely similar and what worked in X3 works in X3TC. Once I have my first sector trader I'm golden, it's just making that first million credits to get the software/have spending money for the ST (assuming you can hijack or start with a freighter) that's difficult.

If I've never played an X-series game should I start with X2 and then continue on or just grab Terran Conflict?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

wdarkk posted:

If I've never played an X-series game should I start with X2 and then continue on or just grab Terran Conflict?

X3 and X3:TC are a significant improvement over X2. The only reason to play X2 before X3 is the storyline and, well, that requires exposure to voice acting and the cut scenes of X2, which is something the surgeon general advises against.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If you care about the plot in X, then you're playing the games for the wrong reasons.

Just start off with X3:TC. It's the best in the series and there's no reason to play the older games at all.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Bluetooth human being posted:

Wow. It's been forever since I played this, but I loved it when I did. I always thought it was loads better then the original pokemon.

Anyways, if I remember correctly, devils and dragons are probably the better of the races. However, to get the good monsters, you have to breed like crazy. Basically, save before you go on a breeding session to see what is going to be created, because if you don't like it, you'll definitely want to reload. Almost all of the best monsters in the game can only be obtained through breeding. You're also going to want to plan ahead. Breed a monster just so you have it and can breed with it later.

Of course, it also helps (just like in the original pokemon) if you have another gameboy to trade with. You can get some pretty good monsters easily by trading with someone else. I doubt that's much of an option nowadays though, not like it really was back then either.

Welp that was fast, thanks!

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?

If you care about the plot in X, then you're playing the games for the wrong reasons.

Just start off with X3:TC. It's the best in the series and there's no reason to play the older games at all.

Seconded. The improvements are massive, the learning curve (while still steep) is eased off considerably, the UI is unfucked, and all of the best features from the Xtended mod for X3 form the basis for TC. That, and TC 2.0 is out as a free update that adds more missions and more fun.

Don't worry about the plot, the TC storyline is pretty independent of the others, just the universe is carried over.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

r1ngwthszzors posted:

Freedom Force

Been a while since I've played, but I remember a few things:

Use pause and the ability to slow down the game liberally. You're controlling four characters, and none of them are particularly bright.

Don't be afraid to sit down and let your energy recharge. With rare exceptions, you have all the time in the world. If you do sit down and recharge, just speed up time for your own sanity.

A character with a high Energy attribute and the ability to transfer energy points can be a walking battery for the entire team. Having one character sitting back and passing around energy can be worth it, if it means three characters can go full steam continuously. You get such a character in the main campaign automatically.

Flying is generally faster than walking, and makes melee attacks against (and by) that character impossible. However, anyone actually knocked out of the sky will take falling damage.

The “Hot Headed” attribute is generally more trouble than it's worth. It makes a character randomly overpower his attack. A character trying to use more energy than they have will stun himself. If the character is flying when he stuns himself, he falls. Stun is automatic if they try to overpower a move which takes a full energy bar.

Pay attention to weaknesses and resistances, for both your characters and your enemies! The difference in damage can be HUGE.

Speaking of resistances/weaknesses, the ability Genetic Damage is outright game breaking, especially in the first Freedom Force. In fact, it's by far the most powerful move in the first game. You either get a character with Genetic Damage automatically in game play, or have the opportunity to recruit one pre-made. However, it makes every fight incredibly easy, so be aware.

Don't completely rely on any one character: this game likes to make some characters unavailable in some missions.

And Dear Lord, do not irradiate someone you need to interrogate, unless you want to hear “All right, I'll talk!” 50 times in rapid succession.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Lordspam
Mar 20, 2007

curvy robot girlfriend
Any tips for Persona 4?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lordspam posted:

Any tips for Persona 4?

The wiki page on it covers pretty much everything: http://www.drumandface.info/wsik/index.php/Persona_4

I can't really think of anything important to add.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Necc0 posted:

If you plan on sneaking up on people, do not let them see your face. Try to stare away from them as they pass and you can use better methods of killing them when they aren't looking backwards while pissing.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

The wiki page on it covers pretty much everything: http://www.drumandface.info/wsik/index.php/Persona_4

I can't really think of anything important to add.

Some people act like turdfaces when someone suggests that a poster "read the guide" in this thread, but I think it's appropriate sometimes. Persona 4 is a complicated game and it's full of things that you might probably will miss your first time through without a guide to refer to. Feel like playing without one? Go for it; have fun. The game's a blast and there's a certain charm to diving in with no clue as to what to do. If you're going commando, though, keep in mind that there is a point toward the end during which your dialog choices will determine whether the game stops right there and you get the "bad" ending or if the game continues and you get to try for the "good" ending.

That having been said, my advice would be to save often and to probably even set up two memory cards for your saves. "That sounds silly," you might say, but remember that later when you jump up and shout "gently caress, IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK TWO WEEKS AND DO IT DIFFERENTLY!" Also, grab a pen and paper and schedule your time after making notes about who's available when.

Oh! And get those social links up as early as possible. It's very satisfying to fuse two personas on a special fusion day at a high link level and see the new persona's base level jump up by ten or more!

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Does anyone have any tips for Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy? The levels seem pretty straightforward, but it's hard to tell which force powers will pay off with enough investment, and which will remain useless. I've only put points into Heal and Grip at this point, as the others all seem like a waste.

Hurrichism
Aug 4, 2007

Astfgl posted:

Does anyone have any tips for Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy? The levels seem pretty straightforward, but it's hard to tell which force powers will pay off with enough investment, and which will remain useless. I've only put points into Heal and Grip at this point, as the others all seem like a waste.

I actually just played through this. I mainly used Lightning, Grip, and Heal throughout the game. They all start off fairly useless (grip and lightning especially), but once you have them at level 3 they work so much better. For instance, level 3 Lightning can wipe out a whole room of stormtroopers in a couple seconds.

I've never really used any of the Light side powers other than heal, so hopefully someone else can elaborate a bit on those.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Force Speed is actually a lot less useful than you'd think because anyone you'd want to use it on will activate their own Force Speed when you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

GeneralFai posted:

Some people act like turdfaces when someone suggests that a poster "read the guide" in this thread, but I think it's appropriate sometimes. Persona 4 is a complicated game and it's full of things that you might probably will miss your first time through without a guide to refer to. Feel like playing without one? Go for it; have fun. The game's a blast and there's a certain charm to diving in with no clue as to what to do. If you're going commando, though, keep in mind that there is a point toward the end during which your dialog choices will determine whether the game stops right there and you get the "bad" ending or if the game continues and you get to try for the "good" ending.

That having been said, my advice would be to save often and to probably even set up two memory cards for your saves. "That sounds silly," you might say, but remember that later when you jump up and shout "gently caress, IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK TWO WEEKS AND DO IT DIFFERENTLY!" Also, grab a pen and paper and schedule your time after making notes about who's available when.

Oh! And get those social links up as early as possible. It's very satisfying to fuse two personas on a special fusion day at a high link level and see the new persona's base level jump up by ten or more!

Yeah, there are two big "Guide dang it" days. First of which is december 3rd. Just remember that date, when it rolls around you'll want to consult a guide to verify your decisions. Second of which comes after fighting the "final" boss.

Although, I'll recommend against using guides and 'sperging out about how to play the rest of the game. Just chill with who you want, although I'll recommend hanging out with fellow party members for reasons that become obvious.