Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I just picked up my old copy of Matt Ruff's Sewer, Gas, and Electric for it's umpteenth reading. Every few years I go back to it, because nothing gets me laughing quite so much as completely dismantling Ayn Rand with a novel about mutant sharks and electric negroes and palestinian environmental terrorists in a yellow submarine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kelmaon
Jun 20, 2007

Just ordered A Piece of My Heart and The Ultimate Good Luck, Richard Ford's first two books, from the book depository after finishing his book Independence Day. Stocking up for when I'll have time to read them.

Ironically it's cheaper for me to order these books online and have them shipped from the UK than it is for me to buy them with my staff discount at the bookshop where I work (literally half the price) :(

Teh Madd Hatter
May 26, 2008
Since I am terrible when it comes to used book stores and saying no to the thoughts in my head, I ended up walking away with ten books this last weekend. They are as follows:

I'm Just Here For the Food by Alton Brown
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
The Complete Stories of Franz Kafka by Franz Kafka
Ralph 124C 41+ by Hugo Gernsback
The Voyage of the Beagle by Charles Darwin
Finnegan's Wake by James Joyce ( I am sure that I will hate myself for this after I try to read it.)
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
Catch As Catch Can by Joseph Heller
and two collections of stories by Robert E Howard published by Bison Books
The Black Stranger and Other American Tales
The End of the Trail: Western Stories

And because my grandfather thought I would like it he has lent me
Rumpole and Reign of Terror by John Mortimer

Teh Madd Hatter fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Sep 30, 2009

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.
I just bought Castle in the Forest by Mailer and The Yankee Years by Torre. Don't tell anyone but I got Castle in the Forest on the recommendation of someone in LF.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
Recently I got:

Beckett's Murphy and Molloy, Malone Dies, The Unnamable in a set. I already had Molloy, but the whole set was cheaper than either of the other two on their own.
Homer's Iliad in the fancy-pants Penguin deluxe edition to replace my crappy old copy.
Joyce's Dubliners
Kafka's The Trial
Pynchon's Mason & Dixon

I probably should have also bought the time to read them.

edit: I did not buy a book named Molly by Sam Beckett

Mr. Fun fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 3, 2009

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

I recently grabbed Slaughterhouse Five from the library, so I'll be beginning that in the next day or two as a sort of rest period before diving headfirst into Gravity's Rainbow.

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009
I just started Swiftly, by Adam Roberts, an account of what happened during the French and English war after the islands encountered in Gulliver's Travels were made known to the rest of the world.

It's alright, but a bit dry.

Bohemienne
May 15, 2007

wlokos posted:

I recently grabbed Slaughterhouse Five from the library, so I'll be beginning that in the next day or two as a sort of rest period before diving headfirst into Gravity's Rainbow.

Hope you like it! This is my favorite book of all time and has spoiled me for all other Vonnegut works.

I just began The Little Stranger, a Booker finalist from Sarah Waters. I like ghost stories and it seems like an awesome 1940s one on par with The Others in terms of setting, and so far I'm impressed with how unpretentious the writing is. Hope that holds up, as it's rather dense.

Also started Kushiel's Dart recently, which while interesting, definitely wins the award for the highest density of the word "surety" in any written work ever.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
A book I ordered came in recently, Lovecraft Unbound An anthology of stories from several authors inspired by HP Lovecraft. It's been great reading, for someone like me who hasn't read any of Lovecraft's works and only an interest in Lovecraft's mythos of madness, tentacles and such :cthulhu:

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 5, 2009

Merou
Jul 23, 2005
mean green? :(

I bought Whatever by Michel Houellebecq, Les Miserables by Victor Hugo and The Time Machine and The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells as part of a set.

Now that I have a good paying job I have money for books, but I have little time to actually read them. It just aint right. I went from a decent sized book a week to roughly 30 pages from Monday to right now. I'm halfway through Blood Meridian, when I try to read it at work during lunch I get like 4 pages knocked out and have to leave. :(

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Just started reading Michael Stephen Fuchs' The Manuscript. The prose isn't award winning but it's still shaping up to be a pretty satisfying Techno-Thriller. The primary themes are Philosophy, Unix Sysadmin'ing, and Sir Richard Burton -- all things that fascinate me. As far as light reading, fiction thrillers go, it's doing a good job of getting the horrible taste of the new Dan Brown book out of my mouth.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
The Child Thief by Brom.
Picked it up after hearing what it's about and being really intrigued by the premise.
Not that far in, about 70 pages or so, but I'm fairly interested so far.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Just finished The Archer's Tale by Bernard Cornwell and liked it so much I went out and picked up Vagabond and Heretic. Gonna do the King Arthur series after I'm done with this.

spabz
Dec 28, 2007

Amazon was having a buy 2 get 1 free sale so I picked up Slaughterhouse 5, Lolita and Fear and Loathing in Los Vegas.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Bohemienne posted:

Also started Kushiel's Dart recently, which while interesting, definitely wins the award for the highest density of the word "surety" in any written work ever.

Haha ... the little repetitions get pretty irritating, even though the books are fun reads aside from that. If you read more of these, you'll start to look for the words "somewhat," "mayhaps" and endless repetition of certain phrases like "We always understood each other, he and I" and variations on that theme. If Phedre ever expresses an opinion on someone that takes only a sentence or two to say, look to see it repeated every time she encounters the character. Also -- "But we are D'Angeline ..." (followed by some explanation of how they are better than everyone else).

Lowly fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 6, 2009

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Grabbed another load of books from the library yesterday and I'm about 150 pages into Dan Simmons' Drood. Pretty good so far - hopefully it's better paced than The Terror.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Just started two contemporary books on spirituality from a distinctly Western (and specifically monastic) point of view: Wisdom Distilled from the Daily by Joan Chittister and Tools Matter for Practicing the Spiritual Life by Mary M. Funk. The former examines the Rule of St Benedict as applied in a contemporary context, and explores the community based spirituality of the Benedictines. The latter is a reprise of many practical techniques used in the Western spiritual tradition from earliest times to the present, and it's good enough to have been recommended by Sharon Salzbeg.

I'm also starting, on quite a different note, Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler. It's another in the Marlowe series of novels, and I'm quite looking forward to it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just bought and read half way through The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

I have already thrown the book against the wall twice and the scene in the basement with the naked people was just :wtc: and :psyduck: and :suicide: all at the same time. I don't know if there is an emoticon which captures that.

PonchtheJedi
Feb 20, 2004

Still got some work to do...
I just started One Second After by William R. Forstchen. Book is scary as hell. All the stuff at the beginning about how easily the EMP scenario in the book could happen is terrifying.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

euphronius posted:

I have already thrown the book against the wall twice and the scene in the basement with the naked people was just :wtc: and :psyduck: and :suicide: all at the same time. I don't know if there is an emoticon which captures that.

I, personally, am yet to feel anything that cannot be perfectly summarized using an SA emote.

fed_dude
May 31, 2004
I just finished all the Vorkosigan books by Lois McMaster Bujold.

Starting Proust, Swann's Way. So I can be pretentious.

And I've been working my way through Strunk and White's Elements of Style. A lot of great writing advice in under 100 pages.

The Big Lebowski
Nov 13, 2000

Pillbug
Picked up The Child Thief by Brom for something to read while bored on 3rd shift and it's surprisingly good so far.

I hated Peter Pan even as a small child, but this retelling is creepy enough to keep me interested.

maji
Jun 24, 2004

How does that feel?
I am very slowly reading The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons, sequel to Hugo winning Hyperion. I really enjoyed book #1, but did not like how it ended with absolutely no resolution and in a cliff hanger .

akrob
Sep 5, 2009

by T. Finn

V-Men posted:

How is that? I enjoyed Neuromancer, but more for the fact that it's such a major work in the genre, rather than anything inside the work itself.

Neuromancer is definitely the most interesting of the three books as it introduces the whole sprawl world with all its cyber-punk jargon. I found that it was the hardest of the three to read, this could be because it took me some time to get adjusted to Gibson's way of writing and describing cyber-space, or because Neuromancer was the most ambitious of the three(introducing AI's, virtual reality, heavily modified humans, cloning, cryogenic stasis, corporations taking over government, and just about anything with electronics) all these ideas appearing in 1984 and still, being modern today is quite a feat.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

euphronius posted:

Don't forget the guy with his legs missing because they'd been eaten.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Don't forget the guy with his legs missing because they'd been eaten.

The wounds were cauterized to keep him alive and his meat fresh!! Mcarthy actually thought that out!!

We should have a :theroad: emoticon with a smiley with cauterized stumps.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 10, 2009

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.
Just bought Nick Cave's The Death of Bunny Munro. His first novel, And The rear end Saw The Angel is one of my favourite books ever. So far I'm not disappointed by the first few chapters.

IonClash
Feb 27, 2007

PonchtheJedi posted:

I just started One Second After by William R. Forstchen. Book is scary as hell. All the stuff at the beginning about how easily the EMP scenario in the book could happen is terrifying.

Yeah, by the end of that you'll want to stock up on food storage, weapons/ammo, radio gear (properly stored in faraday cages), and all sorts of medical supplies. Scary as hell.

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup
The Algebraist by Iain M Banks. I've been meaning to read him for a long time now, and I actually picked this book up on a whim months ago and then promptly forgot about it completely. Started it this morning, I was sold by the time I read "Uncle Slovius had some years ago assumed the form of a walrus."

American Psychonauts
Dec 27, 2005

...but inside doesn't matter
Les Misérables. I read Notre Dame about a year ago and have been meaning to go back for some Hugo. Loving it so far.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

American Psychonauts posted:

Les Misérables. I read Notre Dame about a year ago and have been meaning to go back for some Hugo. Loving it so far.

Did you get the abridged version or no? I recommend the full version.

American Psychonauts
Dec 27, 2005

...but inside doesn't matter

euphronius posted:

Did you get the abridged version or no? I recommend the full version.

It's two volumes so I hope not. I definitely want to read the unabridged so I gotta check that.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I just started the Book of the New Sun series by Gene Wolfe, and have just finished Shadow of the Torturer (the first book in said series). It seems pretty drat entertaining so far.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Just finished The Unlikely Disciple by Kevin Roose. He's a Brown journalism student who enrolls for a semester at Jerry Falwell's Liberty University, an evangelical school.

There's nothing surprising or illuminating about this book- "people I don't understand have feelings too!" -but he tries not to be too biased and does conduct what turns out to be the last print interview of Falwell's life.

If you like SA threads where people talk about their experiences in other cultures, you'll probably enjoy this. Like I said it's nothing amazing, but it is a quick read and gives a bit of insight into the evangelical mindset.

Edit: Oops guess I shoulda posted this in What Did You Just Finish?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Skyl3lazer posted:

I just started the Book of the New Sun series by Gene Wolfe, and have just finished Shadow of the Torturer (the first book in said series). It seems pretty drat entertaining so far.

You'll want to stick with it through the end of the fourth book. As a whole, it's one of the most surprising and original science fiction series you're likely to encounter.

Buck Lodestar
Jul 19, 2007

I'm about halfway through Perdido Street Station at the moment. I'd been reading mostly "heavier" literature for a while and I wanted to change gears to something a little lighter, and I'd heard good things about this novel. So far I'm giving it a resounding "Meh." There are certain elements of the novel that are executed very well, but by the same token there are chunks that feel overwrought and just a tad too self-consciously sci-fi for my tastes (I'm not a big sc-fi/fantasy fan, generally speaking). The pacing is a little off in spots too. Still, it's mostly delivering as far as being a "fun" read through I doubt I'll be seeking out any of Mieville's stuff in the future.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Picked up Gravity's Rainbow. Will try and read it soon, because it's been over a month since I finished Infinite Jest and I really like having my mind broken.

Also, I got Atwood's "The Year of the Flood" from the library and am about 1/4 through right now. It's well-written and I find it interesting to hear more about the world she set up in "Oryx and Crake." This time it follows two women instead of two boys... which I appreciated because I felt like in O&C Atwood wasn't quite able to get the voices of teenage boys down. Her women always are more convincing.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Just started John Leland's Hip: The History a couple days ago. It's interesting stuff. Not so much a history of what's cool, but of the steady progression of American pop culture.

Trotsky1940
Sep 18, 2006

Encryptic posted:

Grabbed another load of books from the library yesterday and I'm about 150 pages into Dan Simmons' Drood. Pretty good so far - hopefully it's better paced than The Terror.

Ironic you mention; I just started Terror and am loving it. Of course, being an Arctic history nerd with a love of John Franklin lore certainly does not hurt...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup

Trotsky1940 posted:

Ironic you mention; I just started Terror and am loving it. Of course, being an Arctic history nerd with a love of John Franklin lore certainly does not hurt...

It is a great book, but Simmons himself admits (in the foreword to Lovedeath) that he struggles with the endings of his larger works.

Personally I loved every single sentence of The Terror, and even liked the ending of Hyperion, but I'm a big fan of non-traditional endings.

• Locked thread