Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

garbage day
Jun 13, 2008

im lollin at you're trollin

Without Pants posted:

I'm looking for mellow, downtempo-ish stuff with woman's vocals. Anything with strings in the background is a plus.

Mono is pretty good for this kind of thing as well.

http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/song/Life_In_Mono/782022

When looking for this Mono (from the UK), you'll likely encounter a Japanese band named Mono, which is awesome but doesn't play the kind of music you requested. Mono (UK) only released one album, "Formica Blues."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

Diamond Back posted:

I am taking a 5000 mile drive here in a few weeks and I need to get some good road trip music. Any advice? I am looking to expand my musical tastes anyways so recommend anything.

"Lonesome Crowded West" by Modest Mouse is a perfect road trip album.

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005

DrRimbaud posted:

I'd appreciate recommendations on more contemporary bands featuring male/female screaming in the vein of Antischism or Circle Takes the Square or Bloodlined Calligraphy. Thanks in advance!

You could try Rodan. They only had one real album, "Rusty" but there are a few songs on it that might reach what you're looking for.

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
I'm looking for songs that are musically similar to Steppin Razor from Sublime

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73ZprL_ZKxI

Something thats "chill" like this song. Steppin Razor radio on Pandora so far has not helped.

Killy
Mar 15, 2007

Faster, pussycat, kill, kill!

Tostito posted:

I'm looking for songs that are musically similar to Steppin Razor from Sublime

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73ZprL_ZKxI

Something thats "chill" like this song. Steppin Razor radio on Pandora so far has not helped.

Try listeing to the band "the Beautiful Girls"

http://www.myspace.com/thebeautifulgirls

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009

Without Pants posted:

I'm looking for mellow, downtempo-ish stuff with woman's vocals. Anything with strings in the background is a plus.

VVVV Cool thanks

I don't know if it's up your alley, but you might give Elysian Fields a try...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSic9tseaCU

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good

Killy posted:

Try listeing to the band "the Beautiful Girls"

http://www.myspace.com/thebeautifulgirls

The songs "We're Already Gone" and "The Biggest Lie I Ever Told" are similar to what I'm looking for, which is just slow chill laid back stuff (ironically these have the lowest play-count, go figure). Their other stuff is good too, they remind me of Sublime a little.

But what I'm really looking for is something that has the synth-bass of the song Steppin' Razor. You know, just the chill rear end bitchin fuckin bass that makes that song so cool, combined with the other chill-rear end poo poo.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Skilleddk posted:

Well, I've heard all of the bands you guys mentioned. I really like Slowdive, Swervedriver, M83 and MBV, but listened through them to death. That's why I'm looking for more stuff, and Alcest's and Jesu stuff seemed great.
These aren't exactly heavier shoegaze records but if you just want more of the genre in general you should try Asobi Seksu's 'Citrus' and Lilys 'Eccsame the Photon Band' or 'In the Presence of Nothing'

Also I dunno if you like hip-hop at all but you might like to check out Dalek, they combine rap with a sort of industrial/shoegaze/noiserock production. They're loving awesome and are one of the most original hip hop groups around right now. Here's a quote from wiki:

quote:

Dälek's music is dark, noisy and atmospheric, equally inspired by industrial music like Einstürzende Neubauten, the layered noise of My Bloody Valentine and the dense sound collages of Public Enemy...They have been described as trip-hop, glitch-hop, and metal- shoegaze-hip-hop

If you're interested look for their album Absence

Paperhouse fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 14, 2009

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Skilleddk posted:

I'm currently looking for some heavier shoegaze stuff. I heard Alcest's Souvenirs Du Autre Monde, and was instantly hooked. Looked up a bit myself and found Jesu, and currently digging their Silver EP (haven't had time to hear the rest of their works).

I also tried Isis, but didn't like them because of the vocals. So basically I'm looking for heavy shoegaze guitars, soft vocals and a good melody.
I thought somebody could definitely answer better than me, but I haven't seen Nadja mentioned. LSD and the Search for God might work too. And you've probably heard Ride, but you might not have checked out their song Grasshopper. And Relay is probably more on the active side than most shoegaze I've heard

As for other close things that aren't exactly what you're looking for (but aren't sugary sweet shoegaze), I would check out Neurosis. It's pretty firmly on the metal side of things, including the vocals, but they worked for me where Isis didn't. You might also like Jupiter-era Cave In, but that's more big-sound-guitar than shoegaze.

Glifted is problably the sound you want. Unfortunately their songs are literally a repeating loop.

How do you feel about post-rock bands like Maserati, Mono, Pelican, Russian Circles, etc.?

Farts Domino fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 14, 2009

Diamond Back
Jul 8, 2005

You dont always have to fuck her hard....
I have been wanting something for a while now, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it until I grabbed the new protomen album. I only have singles on my computer, even if I have a bands discography I only listen to one or two songs from it. I don't have any full albums that are great to listen to straight through. Can anyone help me out here? For example I know that Pink Floyd had an album that was supposed to be listened to all at once, but I don't remember which one.

I am open to recommendation from basically any genre.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Those are some great recommendations guys, it will take me a while to listen to it all. I've finished listening to Jesu discography, I really like the Conqueror album, but Jesu is steadily growing on me. "Friends are Evil" from that album sounds like a harsher "Sometimes" from MBV, which is what I've been looking for.

edit: Dalek seems interesting, definately going to try them. Also someone asked if I like post-rock, I haven't heard much of the genre but what I have didn't really catch my interest.

texting my ex fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 14, 2009

Daryl Fucking Hall
Feb 27, 2007

Daryl ohhhhhhhh Daryl

Diamond Back posted:

I have been wanting something for a while now, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it until I grabbed the new protomen album. I only have singles on my computer, even if I have a bands discography I only listen to one or two songs from it. I don't have any full albums that are great to listen to straight through. Can anyone help me out here? For example I know that Pink Floyd had an album that was supposed to be listened to all at once, but I don't remember which one.

I am open to recommendation from basically any genre.

Uh, well, Pink Floyd made a bunch of concept albums, which is an album with a clear narrative or theme throughout the whole thing. Pink Floyd's concept albums are:
  • Dark Side of the Moon
  • Animals
  • Wish You Were Here
  • The Wall
  • The Final Cut
Tons of other bands, from NOFX to Parliament to John Coltrane, have done clear concept albums. That doesn't mean these are the only albums that are great to listen to straight through, though (It also doesn't mean every song on them is great, especially with Pink Floyd). Most well done albums will have a good ebb and flow to them and should be pleasant to listen to from end to end. Sometimes, though, this takes a few listens and some patience to understand.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Skilleddk posted:

Those are some great recommendations guys, it will take me a while to listen to it all. I've finished listening to Jesu discography, I really like the Conqueror album, but Jesu is steadily growing on me. "Friends are Evil" from that album sounds like a harsher "Sometimes" from MBV, which is what I've been looking for.

edit: Dalek seems interesting, definately going to try them. Also someone asked if I like post-rock, I haven't heard much of the genre but what I have didn't really catch my interest.

If you want post-rock you should try Godspeed You! Black Emperor's album Lift Your Skinny Fists, Sigur Ros' () and Takk... (I should've recommended Sigur Ros before), Explosions in the Sky's The Earth is not a Cold Dead Place, 65daysofstatic's The Fall of Math and Mono's Hymn to the Immortal Wind - all for general post-rockness, and for post-metalness you might enjoy Russian Circle's latest Genoa.

And to expand on what Farts Domino said...even though I mentioned Nadja and even mentioned an album, I will mention the albums he should've, mainly for Neurosis because they have about five different similar styles spread across about ten releases. The albums you should be looking at are Given to the Rising (their latest and most post-metal and softest) and Through Silver in Blood (their best). Both feature harsher vocals but if you can look past them or embrace them, it's really stunning stuff. Listen to Aeon from Through Silver in Blood, songs like that are where alot of the post-rock/metal stuff comes from.

What Isis did you listen to anyway?

Yoghurt
Dec 18, 2006

We have always been at war with scenesters
Does anyone know much about breakbeat like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtd9_XFYO00

Or the rest of that album, come to think about it. The Ghetto Electro Chronicles, by Darwin Chamber.

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Lately I've been getting into jazz a lot. I've been reading about the music theory and playing jazz with my friends, and listening to a lot of jazz albums that people recommend to me.

My favourite instrument is the guitar, and I'm having trouble finding recordings that feature a guitarist. Every now and then I hear a really nice song on the radio but I can never get the artist or the songs name. Does anyone know some jazz guitarists that I can look into, or some jazz albums that feature guitar on a lot of tracks?

Daryl Fucking Hall
Feb 27, 2007

Daryl ohhhhhhhh Daryl

Dog Jones posted:

Lately I've been getting into jazz a lot. I've been reading about the music theory and playing jazz with my friends, and listening to a lot of jazz albums that people recommend to me.

My favourite instrument is the guitar, and I'm having trouble finding recordings that feature a guitarist. Every now and then I hear a really nice song on the radio but I can never get the artist or the songs name. Does anyone know some jazz guitarists that I can look into, or some jazz albums that feature guitar on a lot of tracks?

What kinda jazz are we talking about? Miles' Bitches Brew featured guitar pretty prominently, and that guitarist (John McLaughlin) went on to form a fusion band called Mahavishnu Orchestra, but those guys are, frankly, more rock than jazz.

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma
Jazz guitar: Cyrus Pace is pretty good.
https://www.cyruspace.com

garbage day
Jun 13, 2008

Stanley Jordan's tapping technique was really innovative. Some of his stuff is too smooth for my liking, but when he's on, like with this song, it's pretty amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE0N2-Nz7k0

I also like a lot of the recordings from the first half of George Benson's career:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn27IcAapPI

If you're equally comfortable exploring the opposite end of the mellow spectrum, Pat Metheny's "Song X" collaborative album with Ornette Coleman can be quite rewarding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tG_fgzijuE

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Dog Jones posted:

If you like bossa nova and other kinds of mellow latin stuff check out Joao Gilberto. For classic swing you can't go wrong with Django Reinhardt.

Yoghurt posted:

Does anyone know much about breakbeat like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtd9_XFYO00

Or the rest of that album, come to think about it. The Ghetto Electro Chronicles, by Darwin Chamber.

This is downtempo breaks with a dubby influence to it, a lot of acid jazz and lounge has a similar sound. Check out Nightmares on Wax, DJ Shadow, and the labels Eighteenth Street Lounge (Thievery Corporation, Ursula 1000) and Ninja Tune (Coldcut, DJ Food, Bonobo)

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 15, 2009

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Dog Jones posted:

Grant Green & Wes Montgomery are the only actually decent jazz guitarists I can think of right now tbf.

funkcroquet
Nov 29, 2004

HAI posted:

Grant Green & Wes Montgomery are the only actually decent jazz guitarists I can think of right now tbf.

there's some good George Benson records on CTI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQuz0KA7LOc (this one's got Ron Carter and Jack DeJohnette)

more obvious things:

Pretty big Kenny Burrell record: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNWDwOsQqlw

Jim Hall ('Concierto' on CTI), nice lineup on this one too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQoLiAOX4XU

Sonny Sharrock 'Ask the Ages': http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=4792CAD7C86596F0&search_query=ask+the+ages

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'll be sure to check them all out.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
The only metal bands I've listened to and liked enough to remember are Slayer, Black Sabbath, Massacra, Sleep, Electric Wizard, Motorhead, Meshuggah and QOTSA. What else might I enjoy?

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Would like a recommendation for a male&female led band a la Low and Carissa's Wierd.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

goblinsdoexist posted:

Would like a recommendation for a male&female led band a la Low and Carissa's Wierd.

I've never heard of that band, but from what I ran into on Youtube from them, you might enjoy The Airborne Toxic Event. More male- than female-fronted, but she does backing vocals on a few of their songs, and she plays awesome viola.

You may also like Ida. I haven't heard a great deal from them, but some of their stuff is pretty similar to ATE and what I listened to of Carissa's Weird on Youtube.

Hope that helps :)

EDIT:
I'd like to find some tracks that have a similar sound to Invisible by Otep and Sweet Dreams by Marilyn Manson. I like the dark feel of the music with the guitar kind of all by itself, and then loud metal in the chorus to break it up.

Jadz fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 16, 2009

garbage day
Jun 13, 2008

TWSS posted:

The only metal bands I've listened to and liked enough to remember are Slayer, Black Sabbath, Massacra, Sleep, Electric Wizard, Motorhead, Meshuggah and QOTSA. What else might I enjoy?

For more thrash in the Slayer vein, check out Sodom's "Persecution Mania" and "Agent Orange." Those albums are from the late '80s; for a newer thrash revival band, pick up some Warbringer. If you like Slayer primarily for the speed and are willing to move on to something even faster, try 1349 (not the new one, though) and Marduk, especially "Panzer Division Marduk."

High on Fire, Matt Pike from Sleep's current band, plays three-piece rock-based metal in the Motorhead tradition. Definitely should be something you'd enjoy.

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Contemporary country along the lines of Wayne Hancock? I've got Hank Williams III and also like Big Sandy and the Fly-Rite Boys, although I don't think they're still around.

garbage day
Jun 13, 2008

Iron Squid posted:

Contemporary country along the lines of Wayne Hancock? I've got Hank Williams III and also like Big Sandy and the Fly-Rite Boys, although I don't think they're still around.

Wayne Hancock's label Bloodshot offers plenty of options, just check out pretty much anything on this list: http://www.bloodshotrecords.com/artists

I especially recommend Rex Hobart & The Misery Boys; they specialize in old-style country tearjerkers, if that's something that interests you at all. But the Bloodshoot roster covers the entire spectrum of contemporary country (pop radio stuff excepted), so just browse around, listen to samples, you'll find something!

Also, if you enjoy the western swing aspect of Big Sandy and the Fly-Rite Boys (as opposed to only digging their rockabilly stuff), you might give the Hot Club of Cowtown a try.

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Garbage Day posted:

Wayne Hancock's label Bloodshot offers plenty of options, just check out pretty much anything on this list: http://www.bloodshotrecords.com/artists

I especially recommend Rex Hobart & The Misery Boys; they specialize in old-style country tearjerkers, if that's something that interests you at all. But the Bloodshoot roster covers the entire spectrum of contemporary country (pop radio stuff excepted), so just browse around, listen to samples, you'll find something!

Also, if you enjoy the western swing aspect of Big Sandy and the Fly-Rite Boys (as opposed to only digging their rockabilly stuff), you might give the Hot Club of Cowtown a try.

Old-style country tearjerkers are exactly what I want these days. That label looks pretty good so I'll check it out.

I like both Western Swing and Rockabilly, although the later *really* seems to be stuck in a rut.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

TWSS posted:

Since you mentioned a few prototypical "stoner rock" bands, looking into that genre could be rewarding for you. If you like QOTSA you should definitely check out Kyuss and the many projects that came out of it (Slo Burn, Unida, Brant Bjork's solo stuff, the Desert Sessions, etc.)

If it's a slower, "Master of Reality" + Sleep + Electric Wizard sound that you're looking for, there's a lot out there that I could recommend, as there are a ton of bands who have borrowed liberally from Black Sabbath. Witchcraft, Graveyard, Elder, Black Pyramid, The Sword, Priestess, Dozer, Fu Manchu and Ufomammut all spring to mind, and there are many more that I'm forgetting. Really, just go to https://www.stonerrock.com and see what you can find - their "best of" features are a good starting point.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
At the moment I'm quite into flowery, girly, romantic 70s songs, like the Carpenters' "Close to You", Maria Maldaur's "Midnight at the Oasis", and (a bit more obscure) Linda Perhacs' "If You Were My Man". What should I be listening to?

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

:derp:

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD
Title BOOK BARN SUPERSTAR
Motto Might I quote the incomparable Frederick Douglas? To wit: :drum:ONE TWO THREE TIMES TWO TO THE SIX/JONESING FOR YOUR FIX OF THAT LIMP BIZKIT MIX:drum:XD

Popcorn posted:

At the moment I'm quite into flowery, girly, romantic 70s songs, like the Carpenters' "Close to You", Maria Maldaur's "Midnight at the Oasis", and (a bit more obscure) Linda Perhacs' "If You Were My Man". What should I be listening to?

Just go pick up the Soft Sounds for Gentle People compilations. Just get all of them. There's like 7 or 9 different comps. You should also listen to Judee Sill:

Crayon Angel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvtjRarucTc

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Popcorn posted:

Just raid the CD's from your Mom's car

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
If you could give me a list of the reggae albums that every music lover should own, I would appreciate it.

Please, no new stuff; just the classics.

Thank you much!

softbomb
Dec 30, 2004

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

If you could give me a list of the reggae albums that every music lover should own, I would appreciate it.

Please, no new stuff; just the classics.

Thank you much!

Congos - Heart of the Congos
Max Romeo and the Upsetter - War Ina Babylon
Wailers - Burnin'
Jimmy Cliff - The Harder They Come
Augustus Pablo - King Tubbys Meets Rockers

btu
Aug 9, 2005
I am looking for songs that are, dare I say free-spirited. Eg: Free bird, Ruby tuesday. Can anyone make any suggestions please?

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

btu posted:

I am looking for songs that are, dare I say free-spirited. Eg: Free bird, Ruby tuesday. Can anyone make any suggestions please?

Uh, I have no idea what you're asking for. Can you be more specific?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

He is obviously asking for Slow Ride by Foghat. Take it easy.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

btu posted:

You mean like Steppenwolf's "Born to be Wild" or "Slow Ride" by Foghat? Because we have a thread just for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

btu posted:

Springsteen covering "Jersey Girl" is about as free-spirited as it gets. Or, just like, a lot of Springsteen, as wild young hearts beating free is a major theme of his.