Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drudkh
Feb 17, 2009

by mons all madden
can someone tell me why i can't use a certain bow? Something about not being effective in combat with it? what stats do i need to raise for the white bow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Drudkh posted:

can someone tell me why i can't use a certain bow? Something about not being effective in combat with it? what stats do i need to raise for the white bow?

Select it in you inventory, press square and refer to http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/items (scroll down a bit).

The white bow requires 30 str and 24 dex, but as bows can only be used with two hands you apply the 50% str bonus, meaning you only need 20 str.

Drudkh
Feb 17, 2009

by mons all madden
im pretty bumed out, i just realized i used that flamelurker soul. is there any badass swords i should be looking for that drop for the heavy melee user?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Drudkh posted:

im pretty bumed out, i just realized i used that flamelurker soul. is there any badass swords i should be looking for that drop for the heavy melee user?

Which type of weapon, straight or curved swords? Would axes, maces, polearms or spears do? Are you using shields or going two handed? What are your current str/dex/magic/faith?

Drudkh
Feb 17, 2009

by mons all madden
i have been mainly putting points in endurance/strength 31/31 for those.

and im using the big 2H european swords.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.
First playthrogh, how should I use colorless souls? I'm thinking dark silver shield +2. I started out as a magic bomber but have recently turned into a dragon sword / lava bow cheesehead with a side of soul arrow. (magic is still my highest stat, because none of the fire weapons use stats to pump damage)

which is also my advice for anybody else who gets bogged down trying to soul arrow everything -- I hit the wall in 4-1 with the rolling skeletons. Made the lava bow (it's cheap!), found the ajudicator shield in a run through of 4-1 with two heavily armed phantoms, and my game changed completely.

Now trying to figure out what crescent weapon I want to make. :)

Eddain
May 6, 2007

primitive posted:

First playthrogh, how should I use colorless souls? I'm thinking dark silver shield +2. I started out as a magic bomber but have recently turned into a dragon sword / lava bow cheesehead with a side of soul arrow. (magic is still my highest stat, because none of the fire weapons use stats to pump damage)

which is also my advice for anybody else who gets bogged down trying to soul arrow everything -- I hit the wall in 4-1 with the rolling skeletons. Made the lava bow (it's cheap!), found the ajudicator shield in a run through of 4-1 with two heavily armed phantoms, and my game changed completely.

Now trying to figure out what crescent weapon I want to make. :)

I moved from Soul Arrow to Fireball and it works well, the mana drain is insane though.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Drudkh posted:

i have been mainly putting points in endurance/strength 31/31 for those.

and im using the big 2H european swords.

If you can get world 2 to pure white the Dragon Bone Smasher is made for you. Apart from that you'd have to upgrade a Great Sword or Claymore depending on how big you want your sword to be.

E:
There's also two more 'large swords' you can get, but they're both pretty much at the end of the game, although you can get Demonbrand earlier if you murder Ostrava for his key.

E2:
As for upgrading regular weapons you probably want to make them either straight +10 or +5 crushing.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Oct 19, 2009

Toastada
Aug 13, 2007
Just started doing some invading and I seem to get killed quite pathetically. Some player with three lights above their head cast a spell that just evaporated all my health. I never even got one swing of my sword. What ungodly spell is that?

I had a good battle with an invading BP last night, seemed to go on forever. I'm not sure if he was just toying with me, but he seemed a bit amateurish. He still killed me though because I pressed the wrong button in a panic and changed from shield to bow.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Toastada posted:

Some player with three lights above their head cast a spell that just evaporated all my health. I never even got one swing of my sword. What ungodly spell is that?

Homing (Moving in the Asian version) Soul Arrow. It will fire as an enemy gets close or you target them, it can be dodged if you're fast enough.

boatiemathmo
Dec 12, 2004

Hamburger Test posted:

If you can get world 2 to pure white the Dragon Bone Smasher is made for you. Apart from that you'd have to upgrade a Great Sword or Claymore depending on how big you want your sword to be.

E:
There's also two more 'large swords' you can get, but they're both pretty much at the end of the game, although you can get Demonbrand earlier if you murder Ostrava for his key.

E2:
As for upgrading regular weapons you probably want to make them either straight +10 or +5 crushing.

3-2 boss: The Dragon Bone Smasher (Keel Smasher in Asian version) kicked rear end for this fight. First half the first maneater kept crouching down clutching his head - a great opportunity to give him a real headache. Did have to switch out to a Dragon Long Sword for when both were around though.

The only downside was having to do the fight without any armour - and even still rolling and somewhat clunky. That just made me feel that little bit more badass - naked man with enourmous sword takes on 2 massive gargoyles and somehow wins.

Edit: Fixed code. Sorry!

boatiemathmo fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 20, 2009

Trash Heap
Dec 26, 2002

Ask me about transforming into a semi and trucking over defenses.

boatiemathmo posted:

stuff

I think you mean [ / spoiler ] and not [ \ spoiler ]

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Faldoncow posted:

Basically, magic can be very strong in this game. Soul Arrow is efficient and very powerful, and with a few select items and points into magic, you can push your damage so high that most enemies and bosses are basically a joke. It's probably not as effective late game for pvp since many players will have upgraded shields that are more effective at blocking magic, but it's fun at low level.

Royalty is such an easy class to start with, I just made a second character to play with my friend that just got the game.

Here's something that makes it really easy if people want to make a new magic character:

-Get the Flame throw magic. Go to world 4-1
-Equip a thief's ring. Get close enough to a skeleton where you can lock on but they don't attack yet. Shoot fire. As they roll towards you, shoot again. There you can kill skeletons without getting hurt ever
-Go to where the Crescent Falchion +1 is located. creep up to the black skeleton, fireball him, then run away and he'll give up if you have a thief's ring. Just keep doing this until he dies, then pick up the sword
-Watch as everything in the game pretty much dies in a hit or two because they're all weak to magic damage. The enemies in 2-1 die in 2 hits, even a spear takes longer than that and with the stats a Royal starts out with spears aren't even an option. Also the sword's magic regen stacks with fragrant ring so you can just equip the sword to run around with but still use spells.

Toastada posted:

Just started doing some invading and I seem to get killed quite pathetically. Some player with three lights above their head cast a spell that just evaporated all my health. I never even got one swing of my sword. What ungodly spell is that?

I had a good battle with an invading BP last night, seemed to go on forever. I'm not sure if he was just toying with me, but he seemed a bit amateurish. He still killed me though because I pressed the wrong button in a panic and changed from shield to bow.

I invaded someone's game in 3-1, noticed he hadn't opened any doors, and started walking alongside the guards. he kept summoning people who were afraid and wouldn't leave. For maybe 10 minutes he just stayed in the first cell. Then I found out I can arrow him from a certain angle and he couldn't see me, shot him once, and he started panicking and ran out to fight me and the guards helped me kill him :)

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 19, 2009

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.
Question about the Black Phantoms. I'm not really into PVP much, so I'd like to put off being invaded for as long as possible. When can people start invading me as BPs? Is there something I should avoid doing for a while to keep it from happening?

Also, I feel stupid because after a dozen-odd hours or so of playing this game, I have only JUST discovered the guy who sells spells in the Nexus (opposite the miracle guy and the whiny deserter) :suicide:

vvvvvvv Something tells me that shouldn't be a problem :lol: I've already gone through every SoEE I've come across, and I managed to die yet again before I quit last night. This game is HARD.

Jadz fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 19, 2009

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
If you don't want to be invaded, just make sure you are always playing in soul form.

BrotherFish
Jul 25, 2007
Dear HolyJasonRocks,

Thanks for being the bestest blue phantom and helping me kill flamelurker. Sorry you got killed a second before the killing blow. :( At least I gave you an 'S'.

This is really such a great game. I don't think I have shouted that loud after a VIDEO GAME victory since I was twelve. It is hard, but its so much better than games like Ninja Gaiden or DMC (which I was never able to finish). I can't stand the square, square, triangle, circle to do attack X crap that those games are loaded with. The combat in this game just feels so natural.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.
Black phantom Selen is a cheating bitch who can cast healing magic while she have anti magic active on her.

I hate her !

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

BrotherFish posted:

Thanks for being the bestest blue phantom and helping me kill flamelurker. Sorry you got killed a second before the killing blow. :( At least I gave you an 'S'.
Same thing just happened to me when I summoned two phantoms to help me defeat the 3-2 boss. One of them died just before victory. Oh well.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Yeah I know it's from 4chan but it made me laugh pretty hard

Drudkh
Feb 17, 2009

by mons all madden
LOL, i invaded someones game in 1-4 and the dude was standing by the the dragon you have to kill. Totally naked with no armor while shooting at it with arrows. It was almost dead too, but i just slashed him once and he died hahahaha. he then sent me a message saying "gently caress you rear end in a top hat"

Hamburger Test posted:

E:

E2:

Ostrava isnt showing up. i killed the dragon

Is it possible he died somewhere? if so will i still be able to get that weapon?

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

A Black Phantom just invaded me in 2-2 and proceeded to dash forward at top speed from the arch stone all the way to a long fall into lava.

I ran after him swinging but didn't even hit him once. :(

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

BrotherFish posted:

Dear HolyJasonRocks,

Awww, poor bastard :( I joined up with a couple guys who were going for Tower Knight (before I decided to just go it on my own), and we got him down to probably 20% health...then the host player got stepped on, and I was suddenly whisked away back to my own game :lol:

quote:

This is really such a great game. I don't think I have shouted that loud after a VIDEO GAME victory since I was twelve. It is hard, but its so much better than games like Ninja Gaiden or DMC (which I was never able to finish). I can't stand the square, square, triangle, circle to do attack X crap that those games are loaded with. The combat in this game just feels so natural.
I completely agree. This game is hard as gently caress, but the combat is much more fluid and natural than most other button-mashing games. It's so rewarding to finally get it right. There are few things more satisfying than circling around an enemy that's been killing you at just the right time and getting a successful backstab, killing them instantly. I can't help but yell at my TV "HARD TO LAUGH WITH A SWORD IN YOUR KIDNEY, ISN'T IT MOTHERFUCKER?!"

Goddamn, I am loving this game.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Dantes posted:

Black phantom Selen is a cheating bitch who can cast healing magic while she have anti magic active on her.

I hate her !

Magic affects magic, not miracles. There is a difference for a reason. :(

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

This is easily the best game I have played in years. For the people who are cheesing bosses, you honestly don't know what you're missing out on : pure adrenaline. Yesterday, I came across flamelurker and had no idea what I was in for. After the intro, he just starts running at me and all I can think of is "fuuuuuuuuuuuck". I had the purple flame shield, assassins armor, and a crescent falchon for magic damage.

I had him down to about 15% health and I get the message "WEAPON BROKE" and I almost had a heart attack. After a few more very close calls, I got him, very very close. Each boss fight is incredibly exciting. For those of you who want to really experience this game, get your hands dirty, get down there, and melee some bosses.

Brilliant game.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
^^
Absolutely agreed.

Drudkh posted:

Ostrava isnt showing up. i killed the dragon

Is it possible he died somewhere? if so will i still be able to get that weapon?
1-2 or 1-4?

Assuming 1-4:
When did you see him last? It is possible you failed to rescue him somewhere, but I'm not sure if you can get him to show up again at this point. I hear people say he can get bugged, but I have never seen that happen, and I have rescued him a lot of times, he always is there for me.

If he's gone you won't be getting the Demonbrand or The Ancient King's set, sorry.

Drudkh
Feb 17, 2009

by mons all madden

Hamburger Test posted:

^^
Absolutely agreed.

1-2 or 1-4?

Assuming 1-4:
When did you see him last? It is possible you failed to rescue him somewhere, but I'm not sure if you can get him to show up again at this point. I hear people say he can get bugged, but I have never seen that happen, and I have rescued him a lot of times, he always is there for me.

If he's gone you won't be getting the Demonbrand or The Ancient King's set, sorry.

gently caress.. yeah it was 1-4, the last i saw him was when i saved him by opening the gate for him when he was getting owned by those guards. so if hes not showing up by the stairs that means hes dead?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I have a 2-2 question.

Do you have to get to the boss by taking the right path and dropping down all those bridges into the bottom of the pit? I've only managed to make it to the bottom in one piece once. As far as I can tell, the left path is just for crystal lizards.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Drudkh posted:

gently caress.. yeah it was 1-4, the last i saw him was when i saved him by opening the gate for him when he was getting owned by those guards. so if hes not showing up by the stairs that means hes dead?

A flame will be there instead, but if you saved him in 1-3 at the gate then there is 0 reason for him to be dead.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
So I decided to try a melee character (heavy Endurance/Strength) but in retrospect it seems like a lot of weapons seem to have high Dex or even Magic modifiers in lieu of Strength. He's high enough level now and has done enough tendency stuff I really don't want to start over again. Any suggestions for weapons I should try out to make use of my higher Strength? I started making a Crushing Guillotine Axe (with a spell slot or Enchant or Light Weapon to give it magic damage when needed) but haven't tested it out yet to know how well that's gonna work.

I've also thought about starting to really pump up my Faith and grabbing Istarelle (the holy spear, forget how it's spelled) and a Blessed weapon of some kind. Do those do enough damage to be worth the effort?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

YorexTheMad posted:

So I decided to try a melee character (heavy Endurance/Strength) but in retrospect it seems like a lot of weapons seem to have high Dex or even Magic modifiers in lieu of Strength. He's high enough level now and has done enough tendency stuff I really don't want to start over again. Any suggestions for weapons I should try out to make use of my higher Strength? I started making a Crushing Guillotine Axe (with a spell slot or Enchant or Light Weapon to give it magic damage when needed) but haven't tested it out yet to know how well that's gonna work.

I've also thought about starting to really pump up my Faith and grabbing Istarelle (the holy spear, forget how it's spelled) and a Blessed weapon of some kind. Do those do enough damage to be worth the effort?

Don't bother pumping strength or using weapons just for their strength bonus. Unless you have VERY high strength (40+), you'll get more mileage out of a normal +10 weapon than a crushing +5 one, thanks to the much lower base damage.

I've never used Istarelle, but a blessed halberd is an amazing weapon.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

YorexTheMad posted:

Istarelle: Not so much. But in addition to the other you mentioned you can check out the Meat Cleaver and Dragon Bone Smasher.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
Well after getting one-shotted by lasers several times in NG+ 4-2, I finally got a strategy and beat it. I mean, they did a ton of damage in regular game, but it's something like 5-600 damage in NG+.

Then learning how to kill that BP dual katana guy without him noticing you is kind of a bitch as well, but I got the hang of it and now it's soul farming season. I think I have endurance up to 55 because I want to wear the Brushwood Armor with no difficulty, but I still have a ways to go on that stat. That should be pretty sweet. I can do Gloom already.

Drakkarim
May 4, 2005

The Wise Teen posted:

I have a 2-2 question.

Do you have to get to the boss by taking the right path and dropping down all those bridges into the bottom of the pit? I've only managed to make it to the bottom in one piece once. As far as I can tell, the left path is just for crystal lizards.

That's a shortcut that takes you past the entire level. If you go left after the archstone there will be a cave that leads outside and an elevator like the one that lead to the Spider. Either of these will take you to the rest of the level.

french lies
Apr 16, 2008

Arcaeris posted:

Well after getting one-shotted by lasers several times in NG+ 4-2, I finally got a strategy and beat it. I mean, they did a ton of damage in regular game, but it's something like 5-600 damage in NG+.
It's tricky to pull off but you can roll to avoid damage from their lasers.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Drakkarim posted:

That's a shortcut that takes you past the entire level. If you go left after the archstone there will be a cave that leads outside and an elevator like the one that lead to the Spider. Either of these will take you to the rest of the level.

Wish I had tried the left path first. My latest death was from accidentally falling off one of the bridges and missing the next platform down, plummetting to my doom :downsgun:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

boatiemathmo posted:

The Dragon Bone Smasher (Keel Smasher in Asian version)

Why'd they change that anyway? I think 'Keel Smasher' just sounds manlier all round - it has the ring of a sound that could sink ships. Ah well.

Anyway, a general piece of advice to everyone on any difficulty level: Soul Remains. The moment you can get to 4-2 (the start of it), you'll find Blige, if you rescued him in 4-1. He sells them. Buy a hojillion of them. They're cheap and are basically a quick win button. They're how I killed the Red Knight when painfully underlevelled.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Dominic White posted:

Anyway, a general piece of advice to everyone on any difficulty level: Soul Remains. The moment you can get to 4-2 (the start of it), you'll find Blige, if you rescued him in 4-1. He sells them. Buy a hojillion of them. They're cheap and are basically a quick win button. They're how I killed the Red Knight when painfully underlevelled.

I found one in a drop in 4-1, but I haven't used it yet. Exactly what does it do? I get that it "attracts" bad guys, but is that all? It lures them into the area and then...what? You still gotta fight them, or are they completely distracted by the thing so you can easily backstab them or something?

Also, the spell "Demon's Prank" (or something like that), what does that do? The description says it makes a loud noise somewhere, and basically says "this is useless if you don't know what it is".

EDIT: I guess I could've just checked the wiki, sorry :downs:

Jadz fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 19, 2009

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

KGBAgent185 posted:

A flame will be there instead, but if you saved him in 1-3 at the gate then there is 0 reason for him to be dead.

Not true.

If you die before finishing the level, he'll be back at the gate (no red-eyed knights, though) and will begin wandering around. Since the gate is open, there's no reason for you to go right through the door before the gate, but Ostrava will wander in there, and those guys can kill him, especially if he aggros the assassin. You pretty much have to babysit him until you know exactly where he wanders.

I am seriously just going to kill him in all my subsequent playthroughs.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Jadz posted:

I found one in a drop in 4-1, but I haven't used it yet. Exactly what does it do? I get that it "attracts" bad guys, but is that all? It lures them into the area and then...what? You still gotta fight them, or are they completely distracted by the thing so you can easily backstab them or something?

Also, the spell "Demon's Prank" (or something like that), what does that do? The description says it makes a loud noise somewhere, and basically says "this is useless if you don't know what it is".

From what I can tell Prank just alerts the enemy of a "noise" where the spell hits, they'll usually turn to look at the source, maybe take a few steps towards it. It seems similar to when you fire an arrow at an enemy who can't see you and it misses.

Soul Remains will actively bait some enemies into attacking wherever the remains land. When I was having some trouble with 4-2 I found I could get past certain annoying Black Phantoms and rolling skeletons by throwing remains near them on the cliff's edge; their default attack was to lunge/roll and gravity took care of the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ornamented Death posted:

I am seriously just going to kill him in all my subsequent playthroughs.

I agree. I'll probably kill him in 1-1 or 1-2 in NG+, NG++, etc., because the fact that I screwed myself out of getting the Mausoleum key due to 1-3 pisses me right the gently caress off. I wanted to fight King Doran and get that armor set, drat it.

• Locked thread