Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roadtard
May 24, 2008

The Sonnensault

Basketofpancakes posted:

What is the easiest way to get a magic weapon? I am really wasting a lot of spices killing these bugs in 2-2.

4-1. There is a crescent falcion +1 by the first black katana skeleton you find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Basketofpancakes posted:

What is the easiest way to get a magic weapon? I am really wasting a lot of spices killing these bugs in 2-2.

Pick up the Kris Knife near the end of 2-1 and upgrade it with colorless souls. It does magic damage and boosts the damage of your spells.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

primitive posted:

Why would you ever do this. Just farm 4-2 for souls twice and buy 10 Full Moon grasses from Patches. Need more? Lather, rinse, repeat.

Speaking of grasses, the first time I got to Old Hero in 4-2 I had 60k souls on me just from running the level and I was freaking out -- heart in my throat and everything. During that fight I ran myself out of both grass and spice, and I got him on my very last Soul Arrow.

Protip: TOTAL PROTECTION

I don't understand how people take any damage against this boss at all. In my first run through and now my NG+ I haven't been hit by him once yet. Thief Ring makes the fight a joke, he can't find you at all.

boatiemathmo
Dec 12, 2004
Just had the weirdest little event. I was running around the Nexus and accidentally slipped off the staircase onto the advanced magic chap - who instantly stood up, clutching his dagger saying "what are you doing? What can you gain by killing me?"

Thankfully he just stood there, and I was able to go over and chat normally - he referenced my new Demon's Soul I was bringing him, that might have helped. Otherwise I would have been stuck until NG+ before I'd be able to learn anything else, not cool.

What has been known to aggro them? I know someone mentioned before rolling into NPCs does, obviously running over them seems to have been quite close. Anything else other than actual damage?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

mikeraskol posted:

I don't understand how people take any damage against this boss at all. In my first run through and now my NG+ I haven't been hit by him once yet. Thief Ring makes the fight a joke, he can't find you at all.

Some people use heavy, clanky armor that he hears because they don't think to take it off. That or they run, which also makes noise that he can hear.

Roadtard
May 24, 2008

The Sonnensault

dis astranagant posted:

Pick up the Kris Knife near the end of 2-1 and upgrade it with colorless souls. It does magic damage and boosts the damage of your spells.

The Kris knife does pitiful damage and colorless souls can be hard to get if your primeval demons don't drop them (I had 3 in a row not drop one :suicide:) or your not planing on doing Mephistopheles' quests.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Basketofpancakes posted:

Crescent Falchion in 4-1. Work your way up to the gate with the two skeleton archers on top, take the left hand wall tunnel. Watch out for the trap. Turn left out of the next tower. There's a black skeleton there, but if you have soul arrow or flame bolt then he's no problem. Grab the Falchion.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.

mikeraskol posted:

Every single time I would fry him from across the room with Soul Arrow three or four times, he would make a beeline for me and overhand smash me with 100% accuracy, even if I tried to roll away. Of course, after that if I just stood in one place he would eventually wander off and smash poo poo on the other side of the room while I healed up with regen equipment.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

boatiemathmo posted:

Just had the weirdest little event. I was running around the Nexus and accidentally slipped off the staircase onto the advanced magic chap - who instantly stood up, clutching his dagger saying "what are you doing? What can you gain by killing me?"

Thankfully he just stood there, and I was able to go over and chat normally - he referenced my new Demon's Soul I was bringing him, that might have helped. Otherwise I would have been stuck until NG+ before I'd be able to learn anything else, not cool.

What has been known to aggro them? I know someone mentioned before rolling into NPCs does, obviously running over them seems to have been quite close. Anything else other than actual damage?
Well, falling and landing on NPCs and enemies DOES injure them, like five damage or something. I don't know how much damage you have to do to get them to start attacking you though.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

primitive posted:

Why would you ever do this.

It's relatively risk-free to come in at the Tower Knight's archstone, kill the two blue knights and archers standing under the gate (backwards, towards 1-2), and head back to the nexus, then rinse-repeat.

One single run nets 1014 souls, and a half-dozen grasses, plus whatever the archers drop at random. You can be swimming in souls and grasses in just a few minutes.

Jadz fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 20, 2009

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

primitive posted:

Every single time I would fry him from across the room with Soul Arrow three or four times, he would make a beeline for me and overhand smash me with 100% accuracy, even if I tried to roll away. Of course, after that if I just stood in one place he would eventually wander off and smash poo poo on the other side of the room while I healed up with regen equipment.

That's your problem, then. Only hit him once or twice and slowly walk. Don't roll or run or anything. He's blind, so he can't see you. Not that it matters now.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

primitive posted:

Why would you ever do this. Just farm 4-2 for souls twice and buy 10 Full Moon grasses from Patches. Need more? Lather, rinse, repeat.

Speaking of grasses, the first time I got to Old Hero in 4-2 I had 60k souls on me just from running the level and I was freaking out -- heart in my throat and everything. During that fight I ran myself out of both grass and spice, and I got him on my very last Soul Arrow.

Protip: TOTAL PROTECTION

mostly because at the time I was farming for grass I was too low of a level to be farming 4-2. (or at least I thought I was).

Evacuate would solve this problem too. could have warped back to home base rather than go into a boss fight with that many souls.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Kreeblah posted:

That's your problem, then. Only hit him once or twice and slowly walk. Don't roll or run or anything. He's blind, so he can't see you. Not that it matters now.

bastard

You can get in so much trouble in this game from being greedy.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Oh also and I accidentally logged 25 hours in-game from Friday night to Sunday afternoon.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Looks like they're reprinting the game, though the deluxe edition won't be available again.

An Atlus press release posted:

ATLUS SUMMONS MORE COPIES OF DEMON'S SOULS INTO STORES ACROSS NORTH AMERICA; DELUXE EDITION SOLD OUT, OFFICIALLY DISCONTINUED
Own one of the best reviewed RPGs of all-time!

IRVINE, CALIFORNIA - OCTOBER 19, 2009 -- Atlus U.S.A., Inc. today announced that additional stock of Demon's Souls™, the newly released award-winning action RPG for PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, will be making its way to stores across North America this week in response to overwhelming demand.

"We're thrilled at the level of interest and acclaim gamers are showing for Demon's Souls, one of the best reviewed games of the year and one of the highest-rated role-playing games of all time," stated Aram Jabbari, Manager of PR and Sales for Atlus. "We're working quickly to get more copies of the game out onto store shelves. We thank fans for supporting a daring, innovative product, and we ask interested gamers to be patient as stock is replenished."

The publisher also announced that the game's Deluxe Edition, which featured a 160-page strategy guide and collectible embossed slipcase, is now considered out of print in North America and will not be remanufactured.

"While the now discontinued Deluxe Edition of Demon's Souls was the only way to obtain the game's official strategy guide, the title already benefits from an in-game messaging system, a tremendous online community, and dozens of online resources for players who are finding the game to be a bit challenging."

Among those online resources is the official Demon's Souls wiki (LINK), which offers a central location for community members to share what they've learned about the surprises that await in the Kingdom of Boletaria. As more and more people discover the game, the community-driven assistance tools expand in quality and breadth, ensuring that while gamers are tested during their adventures, they never have to be frustrated.

"Mr. Jabbari," interrupted a frantic worker. "The game-making engines... They just can't take much more of this! They're going to blow," cried the man in a thick Scottish accent before turning about and returning to the game-making furnaces, soon followed by Jabbari.

Demon's Souls is out now for PlayStation 3 system and retails with an MSRP of $59.99. For more information, visit the game's official website (LINK).

I guess this means the domestic version's a success, too. :)

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

^^^^^^^^ That's what I got, the NA version. Just happened to see it sitting on the shelf at my local Gamestop and was like "oh gently caress yes!" :)

If I'm tired of being in soul form, but I don't have any SoEEs, can I get summoned as a phantom to help someone kill a boss I've already killed in my game?

Yas
Apr 7, 2009

Jadz posted:

It's relatively risk-free to come in at the Tower Knight's archstone, kill the two blue knights and archers standing under the gate (backwards, towards 1-2), and head back to the nexus, then rinse-repeat.

One single run nets 1014 souls, and a half-dozen grasses, plus whatever the archers drop at random. You can be swimming in souls and grasses in just a few minutes.

I did this for a little while and I would recommend it for anyone who is just shy of a number of souls, but doesn't have access to 4-2.

Drudkh
Feb 17, 2009

by mons all madden
Um.. there hasnt been a game that has made me lose so much track of time in years..

i have 35 hours logged on this game in less than a week WTF.

Roadtard
May 24, 2008

The Sonnensault

Jadz posted:

If I'm tired of being in soul form, but I don't have any SoEEs, can I get summoned as a phantom to help someone kill a boss I've already killed in my game?

There are a couple SoEEs in the upper levels of the nexus. One by Monumental and one in the Pantheon.

Basketofpancakes
Sep 26, 2005

Pandaman posted:

Crescent Falchion in 4-1. Work your way up to the gate with the two skeleton archers on top, take the left hand wall tunnel. Watch out for the trap. Turn left out of the next tower. There's a black skeleton there, but if you have soul arrow or flame bolt then he's no problem. Grab the Falchion.

Ahhhhh, I had been trying to run what I thought was world 4 because there was a bunch of good stuff there, but it turns out valley of defilement is world 5.

Legato
Jul 7, 2004

Un cave troll espectacular!
Anyone available to blue phantom for me in 4-2? Getting annihilated by the opening room combo of Reaper plus a billion ghost dudes that take forever to kill. The one time I pulled that off I got cocky and tried to take out the Dual Katana skellie and he killed me with about 5% of his health left. Boo.

Edit: Also I can't figure out the sniping the reaper thing at all. I have a Short Compound +5 and it seems to be unable to kill him before he walks down the stairs, out of sight. Kinda useless if to farm souls from him I need a bow from a late-game level.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

^^^^^^^^ Still on 4-1 or I would :(

Roadtard posted:

There are a couple SoEEs in the upper levels of the nexus. One by Monumental and one in the Pantheon.

Yeah, I've already used 'em. I suck :shobon:

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Legato posted:

Edit: Also I can't figure out the sniping the reaper thing at all. I have a Short Compound +5 and it seems to be unable to kill him before he walks down the stairs, out of sight. Kinda useless if to farm souls from him I need a bow from a late-game level.

Did you get the Compound Longbow in 4-1? It has a range of 60, compared to 50 for the compound short bow (according to the wiki) -- that could mean the difference.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Jadz posted:

^^^^^^^^ That's what I got, the NA version. Just happened to see it sitting on the shelf at my local Gamestop and was like "oh gently caress yes!" :)

Why do you want to be in body form so much? Just so you know, every time you are in body form and you die you are pushing the world more into black tendency which actually makes the game harder. If you are having trouble with the game already I would not do that. If you need to make Soul form easier make sure you have the Cling Ring from 1-1, if you don't consult the wiki on how to get it and go get it. It's the best ring in the game.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Legato posted:

Also I can't figure out the sniping the reaper thing at all. I have a Short Compound +5 and it seems to be unable to kill him before he walks down the stairs, out of sight. Kinda useless if to farm souls from him I need a bow from a late-game level.

He will walk back up. In the meantime you'll probably have to kill a shadowman or 2 that is near you, but no biggie.

(Your issue will be more of a problem when sniping the next 2 reapers though.)

Yas
Apr 7, 2009

Legato posted:

I had the same problem as you, just get the compound longbow as people have mentioned, or kill the ghosts and run closer above him.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

mikeraskol posted:

Why do you want to be in body form so much? Just so you know, every time you are in body form and you die you are pushing the world more into black tendency which actually makes the game harder. If you are having trouble with the game already I would not do that. If you need to make Soul form easier make sure you have the Cling Ring from 1-1, if you don't consult the wiki on how to get it and go get it. It's the best ring in the game.

Oh no, I understand all that now, and I did find the ring, I was just curious. If I *wanted* to get back into body form, can I help someone else kill a boss I've already done?

If I wanted black tendancy (more souls from enemies I know I can handle), or just wanted to be able to summon someone else to help me on a demon, I'd like to know if this is an option, is all.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Now that I think about it, why didn't From publish this themselves in the West? They'd have every reason to believe it would be more successful than many other games they have brought over themselves. It's certainly more accessible and tuned to Western tastes than the Armored Core series.

zero democracy
Oct 9, 2002

in extremis
Is there any toggle anywhere in the game that I may have accidentally hit that would have me no longer playing online? I can't see bloodstains or ghosts anywhere anymore and I AM logged into PSN just fine.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Kreeblah posted:

Some people use heavy, clanky armor that he hears because they don't think to take it off. That or they run, which also makes noise that he can hear.

4-2 spoilers
Eh I was in heavy armor and he still couldn't find me at all with the thief's ring on. And I killed him in melee. Hell I didn't even walk while fighting him. I didn't try sprinting though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Jadz posted:

Oh no, I understand all that now, and I did find the ring, I was just curious. If I *wanted* to get back into body form, can I help someone else kill a boss I've already done?

If I wanted black tendancy (more souls from enemies I know I can handle), or just wanted to be able to summon someone else to help me on a demon, I'd like to know if this is an option, is all.

I thought this was the only way to do it lol
Can you kill bosses you haven't killed yet in your game? Does it count as you killing them or do you have to go through and do it again

Drakkarim
May 4, 2005

Kreeblah posted:

Looks like they're reprinting the game, though the deluxe edition won't be available again.

I guess this means the domestic version's a success, too. :)

Hopefully this will inspire From Software to work on a sequel. And just maybe a new King's Field as well.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Can you kill bosses you haven't killed yet in your game? Does it count as you killing them or do you have to go through and do it again

Well, I was able to get myself summoned to fight the Tower Knight, and I hadn't beat him yet in my game...but the host died so I got booted back to my world before I could find out.

EDIT: This isn't related to DS at all, but since this thread is so active I might as well ask you guys - is there any way to get the PS3 to let me listen to custom music while playing a game? Every time I try to open the music player in-game, it tells me I have to quite to listen to music. Some of these games would be infinitely better played to some metal :rock:

Jadz fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 20, 2009

Legato
Jul 7, 2004

Un cave troll espectacular!
Well the Short Compound bow works fine for killing the Reaper, after all. I just hadn't fired a bow up till that point and wasn't very familiar with their operation.

Just gotta stand close, aim low and mash the fire button, kills him just before his ghosties have a chance to whack ya.

But yeah I was running around 4-2 after that with a blue phantom and he died really early. My previous blue phantoms were all pros that were showing ME around, but I felt like I had to work to protect this poor sod.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You have to do it again in your game.

boatiemathmo
Dec 12, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, falling and landing on NPCs and enemies DOES injure them, like five damage or something. I don't know how much damage you have to do to get them to start attacking you though.

For some reason my game seems oddly tolerant of this sort of behaviour though. For example in the 1-3 boss fight I got Biorr to come in and help out, which was muchly appreciated, and basically slashed away while Biorr took quite a bit of punishment. Must have hit him as well at one point, as he was suddenly all "Have you gone mad?" but he happily finished off Penetrator and then went back to sleep anyway, and we're peaches and cream back in the Nexus now.

Only 5-2 left and then 1-4. Trying to decide whether I want to farm stuff up for upgrading weapons now or in NG+, is it going to be much harder? Do drop rates improve as well or anything like that?

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

What's up with Patches? He told me to grab some treasure, but there was a big freaking beatle in the way. It left me alone, so I spent ten minutes pummelling it with a huge club, and killd it.

Now he won't talk to me. Just "You...how did you do that?"

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jadz posted:

What's up with Patches? He told me to grab some treasure, but there was a big freaking beatle in the way. It left me alone, so I spent ten minutes pummelling it with a huge club, and killd it.

Now he won't talk to me. Just "You...how did you do that?"

He doesn't say anything there. He should show up in the nexus when you go back. This might not trigger till you find him in 4-2.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Hahahahah, awesome. It turns out I wasn't screwed on Ostrava after all. He just skipped 1-3 for some reason. Thanks to this, I am now enjoying my demonbrand. I will enjoy my Ancient King set even more when I finally manage to loving kill that bastard.

Needs to stop spamming hard attack when I try to heal. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

He doesn't say anything there. He should show up in the nexus when you go back. This might not trigger till you find him in 4-2.

Cool. Also just got the black eye stone. Jesus, that was an intense fight, and they caught me completely by surprise.

• Locked thread