Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

dregan posted:

This is a shot in the dark, but was it Hardwar?

No it isn't. It didn't have that red fog and the buildings were all too high to fly over.

I'll never know the name of this game.. :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Pizza
Feb 25, 2006

Ferret Basket posted:

No it isn't. It didn't have that red fog and the buildings were all too high to fly over.

I'll never know the name of this game.. :cry:

Take a look at these two then.

http://homeoftheunderdogs.net/game.php?id=2676

http://homeoftheunderdogs.net/game.php?id=3566

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
I've got a bit of a weird one, but not remembering this one is irritating me more than it should:

An (educational?) game that came out on the Apple II, mid 80's. The premise was that it was 2088, and you were running for (re?)election. You had to go around talking to people, dolphins, robots, Moon colonists, things like that, and if you gave the correct response, they would start to support you. (And if you didn't, your rival would put out a statement saying that of course HE would have done xxxx).

Oh, and I remember the phrases "Let's pretend we're not at home" and "The Empire Bikes Back" being two of the correct responses.

Erasmus Darwin
Mar 6, 2001

Ugly John posted:

An (educational?) game that came out on the Apple II, mid 80's. The premise was that it was 2088, and you were running for (re?)election. You had to go around talking to people, dolphins, robots, Moon colonists, things like that, and if you gave the correct response, they would start to support you. (And if you didn't, your rival would put out a statement saying that of course HE would have done xxxx).

Wasn't that the one where one question involved identifying which (fictional) E.T.-like film featured aliens in a positive light? If you failed, a xenophobic American would destroy the probe that aliens sent down to make contact.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it was on one of those monthly magazine-style disks. Probably Softdisk or Microzine -- I'm leaning toward Microzine. We played the hell out of them in elementary school.

Erasmus Darwin fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 27, 2009

SUBLIME!
Mar 7, 2009

my quiver is full~
This thread's come in handy a bunch, so another one!

Ok, this one is an Arcade game I played whenever I went to Peter Piper's Pizza. It was basically this fighting game with giant robots. There was a regular generic anime story behind it, and you fought as a big blue(?) robot piloted by this spiky brown haired guy. There were these special powers and beams and poo poo but I'm not really remembering.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Nuclear Pizza posted:

Take a look at these two then.

http://homeoftheunderdogs.net/game.php?id=2676

IT'S B-HUNTER

Thank you soo so soooo much! :love:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

SUBLIME! posted:

This thread's come in handy a bunch, so another one!

Ok, this one is an Arcade game I played whenever I went to Peter Piper's Pizza. It was basically this fighting game with giant robots. There was a regular generic anime story behind it, and you fought as a big blue(?) robot piloted by this spiky brown haired guy. There were these special powers and beams and poo poo but I'm not really remembering.

This sounds like it could be Tech Romancer or Cyberbots.

KevinCow
Oct 24, 2009

Conskill posted:

Not sure about the Latin, but that's Zork Grand Inquisitor.

Sweet, thanks a ton. Weird thing is I've heard a lot about Zork since then, but it never rang a bell for some reason.

Not sure where I was getting Latin from. I guess I just assumed words I didn't recognize were Latin when I was younger.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ZebTM posted:

Thinking of a game that would have been on Macs a good decade or so ago if not more. It was I believe a third person shooter with I beleive a female protagonist that may have been dressed in black. I know for a fact that there were sniping sections and that you fought at least one tank. This was on a few of the computers at my elementary school, so there's a reasonable chance that it was a pack-in.

No idea if there was a Mac version, but based on the dressed in black and sniper parts, could it possibly be MDK? The main character was a guy but it was a skinny guy in a bodysuit in PS1-era graphics.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

SUBLIME! posted:

Cyberbots: Fullmetal Madness?

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Ugly John posted:

I definitely played this game as a kid and have asked about it in a similar thread before, so I would also love to find the answer. I remember that the premise was that the minimum age to run for president had been reduced to five, so you (the kid presumably playing this game) would in theory be eligible. You could choose your own running mate including one of the aforementioned talking dolphins.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

ZebTM posted:

Thinking of a game that would have been on Macs a good decade or so ago if not more. It was I believe a third person shooter with I beleive a female protagonist that may have been dressed in black. I know for a fact that there were sniping sections and that you fought at least one tank. This was on a few of the computers at my elementary school, so there's a reasonable chance that it was a pack-in.

I can't remember a tank as I never got far into the game, but combined with it on a Mac I'm thinking Oni

blitzkreig.bmp
Aug 7, 2008

Rottin' and Rollin'
Ive used this pic for a few avatars over the years, and I know it's from the original WarioWare for the GBA. I'm also pretty sure it's from 8-bit's portion where most (if not all) of his "microgames" are based off of Nintendo games. Can you tell me where this is from?

Boo This Man
Mar 25, 2008

I remember some PC game that came out in I think 1997. It's in the style of Crusader, but it's with a chick. I've always wanted to play it for some reason.

Boo This Man fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 28, 2009

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

Final Gloom posted:

Huh. This is killing me. You're right, that was the game I'm thinking of. :) But I swear there was another game with crabs in the trees.

Might be thinking of Amagon for NES?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

olaf2022 posted:

Might be thinking of Amagon for NES?

Hah, I was about to post this, but I think those were spiders. They actually look more chrysalids than crabs or spiders.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Good, found this thread. Hope anybody can help me remember this game that popped into my head all of the sudden.

It is an arcade game. I think it takes place in a dojo or warehouse or something. Your character fights some other character 'to the death' and when the winner is declared, the loser is thrown into the sewer(yes, there is an open manhole cover in the building). I seem to remember there being bosses observing the fighting in the background. If you lose, your character gets dragged to above the sewer manhole, the screen flashes and the continue screen pops up. No quarters = game over screen in the sewers.

I remember the game over screen very well. v:v:v

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
I've got one,

I believe it was an arcade, although it may have been ported. It is a 2d side-scroller, you play as an ape, I'm not sure if you were a human and transformed or you've always been one. I think your girlfriend was stolen, there is some generic story, but the basic gameplay is jumping on stuff and spitting out what I think looked like huge pacman power pellets.

Gorilla pellets, girlfriend, sidescroller.

Irascalopolator
Jun 17, 2003

That's probably Toki. There's an XBox Live Arcade port coming soon.

Final Gloom
Sep 27, 2009
Another Arcade game:
You were a ninja and it was a sidescroller. The first level was in a city and you could grab flag poles and swing on them.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Irascalopolator posted:

That's probably Toki. There's an XBox Live Arcade port coming soon.

Yes, you're a gentleman and a scholar, thank you.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Final Gloom posted:

Another Arcade game:
You were a ninja and it was a sidescroller. The first level was in a city and you could grab flag poles and swing on them.

Sounds like the original Ninja Gaiden
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja_Gaiden_(arcade)

SUBLIME!
Mar 7, 2009

my quiver is full~

Neo Rasa posted:

This sounds like it could be Tech Romancer

THANK YOU. This has bothered me for an eternity, every since they took those machines out. drat, the amount of quarters I spent on this poo poo when I didn't know a thing about playing fighting games.

Thanks a bunch.

Nagna Zul
Aug 9, 2008

Nagna Zul posted:

I am looking for an old, 3d indie platform game. I remember downloading it for free somewhere on the internet. This was a free PC game.

I remember playing this game a few years ago: you controlled a small, white, alien looking dude (I think he had an antenna on his head?), you could move around in a 3d environment and you had a jump button. You could hold down the jump button and you'd just keep jumping forever, jumping back up every time you hit the ground.

There were 5 or 6 levels, and the goal of the game was to jump from one small square-shaped platform to the next, never stopping, thus building up a combo while never falling off. There was a "forest" level, a "dark" level, a white level where you just went straight down, an orange level where you went up and down, and sometimes platforms would turn red and those red platforms would kill you.

It had some really really cool music, too - each level had its own music.

Has anyone ever played this?

This has been tormenting for months now - Someone out there must have played this, I'm not crazy. It had some really nice music...

E: I FOUND IT!

It was called "Synchro" and can be found here: http://usuarios.lycos.es/auralei/files.html

Happy, so happy!

Nagna Zul fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 31, 2009

Reis
Sep 11, 2005

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Good, found this thread. Hope anybody can help me remember this game that popped into my head all of the sudden.

It is an arcade game. I think it takes place in a dojo or warehouse or something. Your character fights some other character 'to the death' and when the winner is declared, the loser is thrown into the sewer(yes, there is an open manhole cover in the building). I seem to remember there being bosses observing the fighting in the background. If you lose, your character gets dragged to above the sewer manhole, the screen flashes and the continue screen pops up. No quarters = game over screen in the sewers.

I remember the game over screen very well. v:v:v

Kageki?

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8269

And to the other poster about the NES game with crabs in the trees and being able to scroll both left and right, was the game Dr. Chaos?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Final Gloom posted:

Another Arcade game:

If you're misremembering hanging signs as flagpoles, then that accurately describes Ninja Gaiden Arcade.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Rollersnake posted:

If you're misremembering hanging signs as flagpoles, then that accurately describes Ninja Gaiden Arcade.

Good to see you're on the case, detective! :)

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Gromit posted:

Good to see you're on the case, detective! :)

Haha, good to see my years of sitting on my rear end playing ROMs had some use after all.

Wheelchair Zombie posted:

Ive used this pic for a few avatars over the years, and I know it's from the original WarioWare for the GBA. I'm also pretty sure it's from 8-bit's portion where most (if not all) of his "microgames" are based off of Nintendo games. Can you tell me where this is from?

Oh, and to answer this, this isn't from 9-Volt's microgames, and isn't based on anything, except rhythm games in general.

Teenagers
Sep 5, 2007

hail satan
3rd person zombie game on the PC, the level I remember was a big graveyard or something. This was out in the mid-90s, maybe '96.

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Teenagers posted:

3rd person zombie game on the PC, the level I remember was a big graveyard or something. This was out in the mid-90s, maybe '96.

Flesh Feast.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Boo This Man posted:

I remember some PC game that came out in I think 1997. It's in the style of Crusader, but it's with a chick. I've always wanted to play it for some reason.

This must be Meat Puppet. Unfortunately it's not nearly as rad as Crusader, a lot of the game even has forced scrolling like a shmup.

Teenagers
Sep 5, 2007

hail satan

Saint Septimus posted:

Flesh Feast.

Holy poo poo, that's it - thanks!

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

I'm remembering some old DOS game I played as a kid. It was a naval battle game. There was a white team and a black team and you RTS controlled a navy trying to take over the other team's ports, specifically their capital (represented by a crown). When two ship formations met you could let the AI fight the battle or take command yourself.

Battle was a lot like Sid Meier's Pirates. Turn and fire, all that. When two ships met you the view changed to the front of the ships, and you commanded your troops to get to the other boat, I remember jumping over the rails at the side, fore, or back raised part. I don't remember if there was a dueling component.

It also had a map editor, which I remember having fun with.

Main menu was in a shop, maybe?

Any ideas?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Rollersnake posted:

Haha, good to see my years of sitting on my rear end playing ROMs had some use after all.

I meant you should have spent your time better reading the post 4 above your own.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Gromit posted:

I meant you should have spent your time better reading the post 4 above your own.

Whoops, I have no idea how I missed that.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

FebrezeNinja posted:

I'm remembering some old DOS game I played as a kid. It was a naval battle game. There was a white team and a black team and you RTS controlled a navy trying to take over the other team's ports, specifically their capital (represented by a crown). When two ship formations met you could let the AI fight the battle or take command yourself.

Battle was a lot like Sid Meier's Pirates. Turn and fire, all that. When two ships met you the view changed to the front of the ships, and you commanded your troops to get to the other boat, I remember jumping over the rails at the side, fore, or back raised part. I don't remember if there was a dueling component.

It also had a map editor, which I remember having fun with.

Main menu was in a shop, maybe?

Any ideas?

This sounds like Ancient Art of War at Sea to me...

Even if it isn't, that was a cool series of games (Ancient Art of War, At Sea, and in the Skies) back in the day. I could never beat Sun Tzu in the first game!

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Hal Incandenza posted:

This sounds like Ancient Art of War at Sea to me...

Even if it isn't, that was a cool series of games (Ancient Art of War, At Sea, and in the Skies) back in the day. I could never beat Sun Tzu in the first game!

Yes, that is it. Thank you. I never would have remembered that title.

Kauka
Jan 23, 2005

ja...JA!!!!jaaa
A game on I believe SEGA Genesis, might have been another early SEGA console. You play this witch (or maybe a wizard), sidescrolling 2d-platformer. You collect ingredients on every level that give you a new magic when the level ends. I think. It was a very long time ago :-\

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

GoonCockmander posted:

ok, I remember this one game I played in the 3rd grade. It was an old game, basically you answered math problems at the start to get bullets, missiles and bombs and the like and you went on a bombing raid against a base, and you had to destroy the flag at the end.

I had a blast with it, and I can't even remember the name.

Holy poo poo, was it on the old Apple computers with actucal floppy disk? It may have been bomber. Godd Dammit that was an old abd awsome game. And a great way to learn mulitplication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kauka posted:

A game on I believe SEGA Genesis, might have been another early SEGA console. You play this witch (or maybe a wizard), sidescrolling 2d-platformer. You collect ingredients on every level that give you a new magic when the level ends. I think. It was a very long time ago :-\

The Misadventures of Flink, back when Psygnosis was good. Here's a longplay.

The Sega CD version is actually superior compared to the Amiga CD32 and the Genesis version is a horribly dumbed down port. Amazing 2D graphics only surpassed by Rayman a year later but who the gently caress designed the main character?

He's a 10 year old kid with a bowl cut in a red leotard. I don't want to meet the wizard who enforces this dress code on his apprentices.

• Locked thread