Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
And the best thing about trying the paint out..... You just filled in all those stupid tiny scratches.

Block it back and volia!

Add one vote for the "new" Blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Mooecow posted:

Poisonlizard, thanks very much for those pics. They certainly help me visualize how the truck would look with the different paints.
No problem, Love your thread, and I think the truck should look good in either color (although I do like the darker blue better).
I've done lots of back yard spraying, and even built a booth much like yours. Usually works out just fine, and glad to see you putting tarps down on the grass. It's amazing how much stuff gets blown up out of it, even using an airless.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Keep up the great work. Seeing excellent progress made on a vehicle that started off in way worse shape than mine has given me hope for my own project.

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

Here is the fender with the proper coats of primer and basecoat. The color darkened up a little bit and came out quite nice.

From now on I am going to have to fully enclose the booth and filter the air before it gets blown out. At one point there was a massive overspray cloud wafting around while I was painting. I dare say the police wouldn't been too appreciative of that.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I cant wait to see this thing put together.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

You sir, have made amazing progress on this thing. I didn't expect to see it finished within several years (if ever0 when I saw what you were starting with.

Good job.

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

I'll shut you up with my cock, you son of a bitch!
I think the lighter, "new" blue is beautiful and will look amazing on the truck. No matter what engine you choose, it will be a great project, and at this rate you'll be done very soon.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
When using Kirker paint you can mix your own by ordering a pint of black and mixing it until you get the color you want. You may want to do it with a measuring cup just in case you need to match it in the future.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Toucan Sam posted:

When using Kirker paint you can mix your own by ordering a pint of black and mixing it until you get the color you want. You may want to do it with a measuring cup just in case you need to match it in the future.

I've done this a lot with lacquer and caulking etc, and discovered that a micropipette and a graduated cylinder can be your best friends. I would assume it's much the same with enamels.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Moruitelda posted:

I think the lighter, "new" blue is beautiful and will look amazing on the truck. No matter what engine you choose, it will be a great project, and at this rate you'll be done very soon.

Yeah, if you could get the body painted before winter, you could do engine work over the winter and maybe have this thing ready to drive by spring!

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

Hmmm, I think you might be on to something there Toucan Sam. The more I think about it the more I would like the color a bit darker. If it was that simple that would be great.

I am pretty sure I know the answer to this already, but I assume I couldn't use universal tint that is used for mixing house, trim, and floor paints? That would make it even easier.

Ishamael posted:

Yeah, if you could get the body painted before winter, you could do engine work over the winter and maybe have this thing ready to drive by spring!

I wish. It is already getting into the 60s around here, so I have at most a couple weeks left. With all the fill work I have to do, I don't stand a chance. Depending how the color mixing goes, I hope to at least paint the firewall so that I can drop an engine in over the winter.

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

Hmmm, what could be in these boxes?

Caution
Sheet Metal
Handle With Care

Yay, a tailgate that isn't bowing inward. How the hell the mechanic bent the old tailgate that bad i'll never know. Not pictured is the new front bed panel. Picture a rectangular piece of metal.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Mooecow posted:

Hmmm, I think you might be on to something there Toucan Sam. The more I think about it the more I would like the color a bit darker. If it was that simple that would be great.

I am pretty sure I know the answer to this already, but I assume I couldn't use universal tint that is used for mixing house, trim, and floor paints? That would make it even easier.

The only way i have done it is using the same brand/type of paint to do the mixing. It's easiest to use a small measured amount until you get the color you want then mix up the rest of the paint with the formula you used on the small portion. A small amount of black or white goes a long way so start out small but keep it in easy to measure ounces/half ounce amounts. There is no need for spray, you can brush them side by side on some primed material until you get what you are looking for. I paint a lot of enamel on older cars for guys who don't want to step up to base/clear or acrylic urethane just because they want to keep the paint closer to the original. I use this method to match what they are looking for and can usually come really drat close.

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

Well, I am still working on prepping the cab for primer on Sunday. It was raining today so progress was slower then I had hopped for. Trying to work in a cramped garage is a major pain. If I don't finish in time to prime it on Sun, hopefully I will have time to spray it on Tuesday.

Anyway, another bit came UPS today:

It has a few small dents and dings, but there is only a tiny amount of surface rust. Since the original grill was missing a bar and the remaining ones were all bent out of shape, I had no choice but to buy a new one.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

drat, that paint looks better than what I paid someone to lay down on my truck 10 years ago.

Feel like painting another old GM truck blue?

Between your thread, and Frozenphil's custom title, it really makes me want to strip the body down myself and lay some paint on, but all I have is a small two car garage to do everything in. No way I could get the truck disassembled far enough to paint properly and still have room to move :(

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
So the grill wasn't supposed to have spaces between the bars in the first place? Kinda odd.

Rogz
Jul 22, 2009

Mr booby head vagina man.

Mooecow posted:

Is this New Old Stock, or are there people doing reproduction pressings? If they are that's a really nice repro.

I take it you've decided against keeping the patina and going for a full respray. Kind of a pity, that was a nice looking truck as found. I guess it'd look funny with all the patch panels painted, and the rest of the cab and bed looking worn.

It did have a really nice patina, though. :colbert:

Whatever, you're doing one hell of a job keeping the momentum going. That's the difficult thing.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Jesus man you are a very talented painter. That work looks incredible.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

IOwnCalculus posted:

Between your thread, and Frozenphil's custom title, it really makes me want to strip the body down myself and lay some paint on, but all I have is a small two car garage to do everything in. No way I could get the truck disassembled far enough to paint properly and still have room to move :(
I have two project cars and no garage, how do you think I feel :(

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

MonkeyNutZ posted:

So the grill wasn't supposed to have spaces between the bars in the first place? Kinda odd.

Nah, there are spaces between the bars. It's just the angle of the pic.

Rogz posted:

Is this New Old Stock, or are there people doing reproduction pressings? If they are that's a really nice repro.

I take it you've decided against keeping the patina and going for a full respray. Kind of a pity, that was a nice looking truck as found. I guess it'd look funny with all the patch panels painted, and the rest of the cab and bed looking worn.

It did have a really nice patina, though. :colbert:

Whatever, you're doing one hell of a job keeping the momentum going. That's the difficult thing.

Its a reproduction. Mar-k truck parts. Made in the USA and cheaper then the Taiwanese import pieces of crap.

Yea, I am going for a full respray. Yea, if I didn't have to do all the patches I probably would have left it alone. With all the patches it would have looked terrible.

Anyway, I didn't quite finish derusting the cab today. Something tells me the cooler temps are making the naval jelly work slowly. A few more hours and the cab should be all set. The weather is going to be too cold and wet this week, so I don't know when I will be able to prime it. Fall is rolling in too quickly. :(

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Mar-K is an interesting site, thanks for sharing. I'm thinking about buying an old dodge truck that needs a new bed and maybe fenders. Do you know of any other reliable suppliers that sell body panels for old trucks?

mrconverse
Jun 14, 2006
Another inexpensive way to ensure a darker final color is to use a darker primer. If you have not bought all your primer yet, you may want to play a bit with different shades.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Mooecow posted:

Yea, I am going for a full respray. Yea, if I didn't have to do all the patches I probably would have left it alone. With all the patches it would have looked terrible.

If you had the talent (or time) you could've quite easily blended in any patches with the original paint, though there really is an art to it.

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

For once, the weather cooperated with me. It got into the lower 60's today, just warm enough to lay down the epoxy primer.

This time I fully assembled the booth. At times the over spray got a bit thick inside the booth, but I could still see fine. The Hobby Air made sure I never smelled any of it. About half of the booth on the rear was open, so most of the over spray eventually wafted out into the woods. I think next time I spray I am going to add another box fan to help clear it out a bit quicker.

And here is the rear of the cab in primer:

The pictures make the cab corners look worse then they are. Since the welds are bowing in very slightly, a tiny amount of fill and those lines should disappear. Not exactly ideal, but I am happy with it. Now I can fill it with Evercoat Rage Gold over the winter and prime/paint it in the spring. Thats the plan anyway.

I now have a couple space heaters in the garage keeping it nice and warm in there. It is about 70 or so, so hopefully it should cure decently quickly.

With the weather quickly turning cold, that is it for priming this year. Everything else has to wait for spring now. :(

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Mooecow posted:

That's a mighty purty cab you got there. Can't wait to see the final paint.

miklm
Dec 7, 2003

What a cunning fellow.
Well done, friend. Well done. You've made remarkable strides in a short time.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

miklm posted:

Well done, friend. Well done. You've made remarkable strides in a short time.

Agreed. This project seemed hopeless at the outset, and you have turned it into a certainty. Nice work.

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002
Looking very nice!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I love the matte look that primer gives. You're doing great, I never would have imagined the project would be this far along given the state of the truck in the original post.

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

Minor update. I decided to test out the 7272 and see how the color was. I came out good and the color is really close to the factory original. Since it is just Rustoleum, I can paint the interior over the winter without having to setup that paint booth.

And now story time. My father was talking to someone who used to work at the diary and naturally the project came up. Apparently his truck had a hard time starting in the winter. If jump starting or popping the clutch at the bottom of the hill didn't work, he would do one better. He we have my grandfather hook the tow chain from the rear bumper of his truck to the bumper of the guys truck and pull him down the road while the guy popped the clutch.

Have I ever mentioned that they loved to beat on this truck too much yet? :bang:

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Mooecow posted:

Minor update. I decided to test out the 7272 and see how the color was. I came out good and the color is really close to the factory original. Since it is just Rustoleum, I can paint the interior over the winter without having to setup that paint booth.

It's looking really good. You're a real hero and a great inspiration. Flipping back and forth from thread start to this is almost surreal. I salute you, Sir!

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Mooecow posted:

[pictures and words]

Have I ever mentioned that they loved to beat on this truck too much yet? :bang:

This is just farmers getting things done in farmer type ways. Back then these vehicles were over engineered because this abuse was expected and even welcomed by the manufacturer. At least that's the way it was for all the oldies in my life as they used to tell it. They are all dead now.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
One of my favorite threads ever - fantastic! Please keep us updated even on minor stuff over the winter, it is great fun seeing pics and reading updates.

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

Minor update time again.

I cleaned up and painted the interior trim pieces. The only one I didn't was the glove box door, which has a large dent in it. I am going to stop by the parts truck next week, hopefully its glove box door is in better shape.

The flash really amplifies the pitting on the horn button. In person you can still see the pitting, but it isn't nearly as bad. Given this is far from a concourse truck, I am not going to bother buying a new one. I also did the windshield and door surrounds, but I forgot to take a pic of those.

I've also been working on removing all the rust from the inside of the cab. Since most of the paint had peeled away years ago, there is plenty of rust to clean up.

And on a related note, I was looking at the Hartford Courant archives and found an article about the dairy burning down. The mechanic in the article, James Kinch, was the one of the people who beat the hell out of my truck.

The Courant spent about 50 cents on their archive setup, so the articles are a bit hard to read.

Article 1: http://www.2shared.com/file/8856261/3b0660ff/out8.html
Article 2: http://www.2shared.com/file/8856317/9ce6393a/out12.html

I also have some old promotional flyers and dairy pictures I can post if there is any interest.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
I think some pitting gives character. I like it.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!

Kaptainballistik posted:

I think some pitting gives character. I like it.
I was going to say the same thing. It's got a unique look with the fresh paint and pitting, very stylized.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Looks great, and keep it up.

Also 100% restorations are kinda stupid in my opinion. You can't drive them anywhere or risk your investment. Do what you can to fix and rebuild, then drive and enjoy.

Trailer queens are for millionaires.

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

Well, I stopped by the parts truck today and grabbed a few bits.

I don't know what I am going to do with the radio yet. I might just buy new knobs and buttons for it and install it. It won't work, but it would look nice. Otherwise I might just clean it up a bit and sell it on eBay. Radios even in awful shape seem to be selling for over $150, which isn't bad for 10 minutes worth of work.

I only need the brackets for the bumper, not the bumper itself, so that is something else I can sell. Hopefully the speedometer works, since the original one doesn't. I put a drill to it and the needle post moved, but I haven't tested the odometer yet. The parts truck had 83,000 miles on it when it was wrecked, and it shows. Hundreds of rivets holding in rusty sheet metal. Of course, I forgot to take some pics of it, again. :(

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Mooecow posted:

I don't know what I am going to do with the radio yet. I might just buy new knobs and buttons for it and install it. It won't work, but it would look nice. Otherwise I might just clean it up a bit and sell it on eBay. Radios even in awful shape seem to be selling for over $150, which isn't bad for 10 minutes worth of work.

If you clean it up I think I can fix it for you. I'll do the same thing for you I'm doing for Pipkin. Parts and shipping cost and that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parabellum
Feb 26, 2004
Si Vis Pace
If that radio gets fixed up by Sponge you wont regret it!

We had an old tube radio in a Holden, when the thing warmed up it could pick up radio from 400 miles away, or over 600 when it was raining :)

• Locked thread