Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emminou
May 25, 2006

TheQuietWilds posted:

I kind of dig Lykke Li, any other sort of smart, minimalist (but still pop-y and upbeat) artists you all can think of?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upnTg2GPgTM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJHdT1j6hH8&feature=related

You might like this John and Jehn track. I think it has a similar feel, although I'm not so sure about their other stuff.

edit: Also, The Do may be worth checking out. It's slightly folkier, but hopefully still in the vein of what you're looking for.

emminou fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Oct 29, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

I know it's not exactly kosher to ask for artists similar to one artist here, but last.fm hasn't really been giving me any results that I like. I'm looking for someone similar to Pendulum, and when I say that, I mean I'm really looking for the heavy, pounding style of the song Slam and/or the style presented in the songs Hold Your Colour and The Other Side. I haven't been able to find anything I like yet. Any help/recs would be appreciated, even if they're from last.fm.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Urban Wizard posted:

I know it's not exactly kosher to ask for artists similar to one artist here, but last.fm hasn't really been giving me any results that I like. I'm looking for someone similar to Pendulum, and when I say that, I mean I'm really looking for the heavy, pounding style of the song Slam and/or the style presented in the songs Hold Your Colour and The Other Side. I haven't been able to find anything I like yet. Any help/recs would be appreciated, even if they're from last.fm.

Pendulum kinda has their own unique style, they're generally the same tempo and stuff as 'jungle' so that's probably what Last.FM and stuff are recommending you, but compared to typical jungle like Aphrodite and Shy FX, Pendulum uses a less aggressive beat, they've also got the electro-pop vocals and synth stuff that's more like other Australian dance-pop bands. So, if you like the jungle type stuff with a fast beat and real gnarly bass, try Concord Dawn, Black Sun Empire and Noisia. Otherwise, maybe see if you like The Presets, Cut Copy or Midnight Juggernauts. Also try The Prodigy, and these are a little less similar but maybe try Rob Dougan and Apoptygma Berzerk.

duckslut
Aug 13, 2003

Can anyone recommend anything similar to Basil Poledouris?

http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/song/Atlantean_Sword/601594

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Can someone recommend me some classic Fado music? Thanks!

Amalia Rodrigues is THE artist of course... I don't much care for fado vocals tbf, but Carlos Paredes made a few amazing instrumental albums.

NapoleonAtWaterloo
Jun 28, 2008

TheQuietWilds posted:

I kind of dig Lykke Li, any other sort of smart, minimalist (but still pop-y and upbeat) artists you all can think of?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upnTg2GPgTM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJHdT1j6hH8&feature=related

You may enjoy Jenny Wilson and Wildbirds and Peacedrums.

A bit further from your request but you might also enjoy Rubies.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

doctor iono posted:

This sounds silly, but I was listening to the newly remastered Within You Without You by The Beatles, and I felt a really strong desire to hear more of this stuff.

I really enjoy the sitar part, but I also like the rock sort of structure to it. Where can I find more?

John McLaughlin's Shakti is a western (jazz) take on Indian classical music, I suppose. Way way way less poppy than Within You Without You, but great.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Urban Wizard posted:

Try this dude, I found some of that stuff pleases me in the same way that Pendulum does.

I'm looking for individual songs or artists that have the same kind of grungy feel as Tom Waits's Goin' Out West or forum user mofolotopo's excellent cross-genre cover of Get My Rocks Off. If anyone has suggestions, I will gladly repay you with sexual favours.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
Hey all, looking to get music similar to "In the House - In a Heartbeat" by John Murphy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1UIKfKGm9Y&feature=related

Mainly looking for artists with songs that start slow with melody and build on it as the song goes on.

charismaslover fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Nov 1, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

ante posted:

I'm looking for individual songs or artists that have the same kind of grungy feel as Tom Waits's Goin' Out West or forum user mofolotopo's excellent cross-genre cover of Get My Rocks Off. If anyone has suggestions, I will gladly repay you with sexual favours.

Have you ever heard "Red Right Hand" by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds? Typically people who like Waits also like Cave, and the two songs have similar feels.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Have you ever heard "Red Right Hand" by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds? Typically people who like Waits also like Cave, and the two songs have similar feels.

Yeah, Nick Cave kicks rear end. You're definitely right about that.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm looking to find a good female fronted progressive rock or metal band. I checked on last.fm and couldn't seem to make the tags fit what I wanted.

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma

Moeru posted:

I'm looking to find a good female fronted progressive rock or metal band. I checked on last.fm and couldn't seem to make the tags fit what I wanted.

Metal:
Lacuna Coil
Nightwish
Within Temptation

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005
Only 40+post thread I've read all the way through, and enjoyed it.

If someone could recommend me something similar to...

Fleet Foxes (saw em in concert, great stuff.)
Deep Dark Woods
Sea Wolf
Blitzen Trapper
Six Organs of Admittance
Great Lake Swimmers
Monsters of Folk

I would be much obliged.

QVT
Jul 22, 2007

standing at the punch table swallowing punch

RettroShocka posted:

Great Lake Swimmers

I actually got into Great Lake Swimmers as a result of looking for similar stuff to Songs:Ohia and while they're not the same band, I think you'd probably like the album The Lioness. Especially if your favorite album by GLS is Bodies and Minds, that has the most in common.

sixteenstraws
May 7, 2009

slave to a label but I own my masters

RettroShocka posted:

Only 40+post thread I've read all the way through, and enjoyed it.

If someone could recommend me something similar to...

Fleet Foxes (saw em in concert, great stuff.)
Deep Dark Woods
Sea Wolf
Blitzen Trapper
Six Organs of Admittance
Great Lake Swimmers
Monsters of Folk

I would be much obliged.

Bon Iver
Horse Feathers
Espers
Grizzly Bear
Califone
Bright Eyes
Vetiver
Akron/Family
Frightened Rabbit
Calexico

Also check out any of the 'New Weird America' artists, although some are a bit more psychedelic or experimental than the bands you listedhttp://www.last.fm/tag/new%20weird%20america/artists

sixteenstraws fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 2, 2009

Julia Trillard
Apr 19, 2009

YOLO CARBON PRINCESS
Has anyone got any recommendations for a church choral music compilation? I'm not religious, but I really like this kind of music.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Bean_ posted:

Metal:
Lacuna Coil
Nightwish
Within Temptation

I never noticed the progressive tag on those 3. I already listen to them. I'll see if I can redefine in last.fm and pull stuff closer to that since I love those 3

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma
Apologies. I read that as progressive rock or metal band, and not the way you intended. Ooof.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Moeru posted:

I never noticed the progressive tag on those 3. I already listen to them. I'll see if I can redefine in last.fm and pull stuff closer to that since I love those 3
You might look into Arjen Lucassen's stuff if you already haven't (I half-assume you have); Ayreon I think has had a couple female guest vocalists, and I think his Stream of Passion side-project has female vocals.

Beyond that I'm not sure any particular bands come to mind. If you use a really liberal definition of "progressive" you might be interested in some of the big extreme metal mish-mash bands like Ram-Zet or The Project Hate MCMXCIX but at that point we're talking something pretty different from the traditional set of prog metal bands.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

het posted:

You might look into Arjen Lucassen's stuff if you already haven't (I half-assume you have); Ayreon I think has had a couple female guest vocalists, and I think his Stream of Passion side-project has female vocals.

Beyond that I'm not sure any particular bands come to mind. If you use a really liberal definition of "progressive" you might be interested in some of the big extreme metal mish-mash bands like Ram-Zet or The Project Hate MCMXCIX but at that point we're talking something pretty different from the traditional set of prog metal bands.

When I think of progressive, I think of stuff like Radiohead, Ayreon, Dream Theater kinda stuff. At least, that's what progressive means to me. I might be off a bit but its the closest concept I can pin to it

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Moeru posted:

When I think of progressive, I think of stuff like Radiohead, Ayreon, Dream Theater kinda stuff. At least, that's what progressive means to me. I might be off a bit but its the closest concept I can pin to it

You might enjoy The Gathering, or the Devin Townsend Project albums since they feature the singer from The Gathering, she's also appeared on a couple of Ayreon and other Arjen projects.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Are there any other booty bass albums with intellectual lyrics a la Bangers & Cash?

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

congrats on figuring out how to use a machine with 4 buttons

bad movie knight posted:

Are there any other booty bass albums with intellectual lyrics a la Bangers & Cash?

are you looking for their deep introspective love songs like "Shake It Till My Dick Turns Racist", or more along the lines of Social Commentary like "Bitch!"?

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Threatis posted:

are you looking for their deep introspective love songs like "Shake It Till My Dick Turns Racist", or more along the lines of Social Commentary like "Bitch!"?
Either way.

LoveEmPeas
Dec 23, 2005
<3 em
Where can I find more fast tempo, atmospheric/ambient black metal like Paysage d'Hiver and Drudkh?

is 5
Aug 2, 2007

Anyone know any good labels for spacey hip-hop like Ras G, Blackmonk, and Sa-Ra? I can find spacey R&B like Sa-Ra spread out on different labels but almost all of it's trash. The only label I've found for spacey beats is Poo-Bah records, who have all of 7 releases and since that's mostly what I'm looking for I'm kinda stuck.

Donny J
Jan 20, 2006

This might seem as an odd request, but I'm helping a friend of mine compile a soundtrack for a film he's working on. It's a romance, but not a chick flick (think a much, much worse, student produced Garden State/Eternal Sunshine kind of vibe). The songs him and I have come up with thus far:

Run - Snow Patrol
Any Other World - Mika
Cold Desert - Kings of Leon
Love You 'Till the End - The Pogues
Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley (overplayed, I know, great song nonetheless)
Fake Plastic Trees - Radiohead
No Surprises - Radiohead
Hoppipolla - Sigur Ros
Glosoli - Sigur Ros
Scenic World (Lon Gisland EP) - Beirut
Postcards from Italy - Beirut
The Great Escape - Patrick Watson
Sonho Dourado - Daniel Lanois
Your Hand in Mine - Explosions in the Sky
SRXT - Bloc Party
Wake Up - Arcade Fire

Obviously there are a few different genres included in the list above, and he's not going to use all of them, but any songs that have a similar feel to any of the ones above would be awesome. Emotional songs that have a great buildup like Run, Hoppipolla, Glosoli, SRXT and Fake Plastic Trees would especially be helpful, but any suggestions would be great.

Free Weedlord
Dec 27, 2006

Not quite as powerful as timelord
I've got a bit of a problem. Normally I only listen to Rock (Hendrix, Qotsa and what have you), but I seem to have a guilty pleasure in some drum and bass, I think. I've never really bothered going outside your standard Prodigy/chemical brothers thing, and those are the only in my collection. However, today I came across this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdPUNOBViV4&feature=related

I really love whatever it is that's going on here, and I feel like maybe I should try to explore this genre rather than going 'no, I'm a rock'n'rolla', so I'd really like any and all suggestions. A quick look around stuff like Last.fm has led me to Pendulum and The Qemists, but neither really click for me, so I'm hoping someone can get me kickstarted into the world of electronic music.

Edit: After listening to the sonica guy, on this page, I figured that's actually pretty good too, doesn't seem very aggressive, but I wouldn't mind suggestions in that direction either.

Edit: vvv I'm not big on The Kinks, but I'll whip out Village Green Preservation Society every once in a while. I'm not sure but I think the consensus is that Lola vs. Powerman is their high point. Both are very decent albums though.

Free Weedlord fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 4, 2009

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.
Where should I start with The Kinks? I'm not familiar with them at all and their discography is huge! I'd prefer to stay away from compilations though.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Cat in a hat posted:

I've got a bit of a problem. Normally I only listen to Rock (Hendrix, Qotsa and what have you), but I seem to have a guilty pleasure in some drum and bass, I think. I've never really bothered going outside your standard Prodigy/chemical brothers thing, and those are the only in my collection. However, today I came across this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdPUNOBViV4&feature=related

I really love whatever it is that's going on here, and I feel like maybe I should try to explore this genre rather than going 'no, I'm a rock'n'rolla', so I'd really like any and all suggestions. A quick look around stuff like Last.fm has led me to Pendulum and The Qemists, but neither really click for me, so I'm hoping someone can get me kickstarted into the world of electronic music.

Edit: After listening to the sonica guy, on this page, I figured that's actually pretty good too, doesn't seem very aggressive, but I wouldn't mind suggestions in that direction either.

Edit: vvv I'm not big on The Kinks, but I'll whip out Village Green Preservation Society every once in a while. I'm not sure but I think the consensus is that Lola vs. Powerman is their high point. Both are very decent albums though.
If you like Spor but not Pendulum or the Qemists, you should probably try more of the 'dark d&b' styles like darkstep. Check out Ed Rush & Optical, Raiden, Noisia, Technical Itch, Evol Intent, Dieselboy, Black Sun Empire, Counterstrike and Teebee

*edit: In my infinite ignorance I forgot Photek who is probably better than all of those other guys

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 5, 2009

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Elder posted:

Where should I start with The Kinks? I'm not familiar with them at all and their discography is huge! I'd prefer to stay away from compilations though.

These 6 Kinks albums from '66 to '71 are amazing and picking up any of them would be a good idea:

1966 Face to Face
1967 Something Else by The Kinks
1968 The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society
1969 Arthur (Or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire)
1970 Lola versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part One
1971 Muswell Hillbillies

Everybody has a different favorite among these, my favorite is Village Green. Early Kinks stuff is like most other British Invasion bands in that there are a bunch of different releases in the UK and US that have the most of the same songs but in different orders and stuff. The best bet there is picking up one of the reissued CDs with like 30 tracks on them. Kinks stuff post-1971 starts to get pretty lovely and I wouldn't recommend much of it.

e: If you really want to dig into their catalog the most tolerable post Muswell album is Misfits.

ShutteredIn fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 5, 2009

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Alright, I really need to get in touch with current. My lack of knowledge is starting to bug me when I'm at a party and friends ask me about a song, and I have no idea what they're talking about, to which they think I'm crazy. So, I've been listening to Pandora, and have been adding different varieties of new music. So far I have:

Lady GaGa
Sean Kingston
Little Boots
Rihanna
Flo Rida

Are there others I should be adding that kind of fall along the lines of this? I guess I'm just looking for what's current, new, and well... good.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Alright, I really need to get in touch with current. My lack of knowledge is starting to bug me when I'm at a party and friends ask me about a song, and I have no idea what they're talking about, to which they think I'm crazy. So, I've been listening to Pandora, and have been adding different varieties of new music. So far I have:

Lady GaGa
Sean Kingston
Little Boots
Rihanna
Flo Rida

Are there others I should be adding that kind of fall along the lines of this? I guess I'm just looking for what's current, new, and well... good.
Kanye West, Santogold, Lykke Li, Kid Cudi, Ladyhawke, Passion Pit

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

seiferguy posted:

Lady GaGa
Sean Kingston
Little Boots
Rihanna
Flo Rida

Asteroid Galaxy Tour, Tegan and Sara, Brand New, Lights, Metric

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Sweet, that should probably keep my pandora list filled for the time being. Thanks :)

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Donny J posted:

This might seem as an odd request, but I'm helping a friend of mine compile a soundtrack for a film he's working on. It's a romance, but not a chick flick (think a much, much worse, student produced Garden State/Eternal Sunshine kind of vibe). The songs him and I have come up with thus far:

Run - Snow Patrol
Any Other World - Mika
Cold Desert - Kings of Leon
Love You 'Till the End - The Pogues
Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley (overplayed, I know, great song nonetheless)
Fake Plastic Trees - Radiohead
No Surprises - Radiohead
Hoppipolla - Sigur Ros
Glosoli - Sigur Ros
Scenic World (Lon Gisland EP) - Beirut
Postcards from Italy - Beirut
The Great Escape - Patrick Watson
Sonho Dourado - Daniel Lanois
Your Hand in Mine - Explosions in the Sky
SRXT - Bloc Party
Wake Up - Arcade Fire

Obviously there are a few different genres included in the list above, and he's not going to use all of them, but any songs that have a similar feel to any of the ones above would be awesome. Emotional songs that have a great buildup like Run, Hoppipolla, Glosoli, SRXT and Fake Plastic Trees would especially be helpful, but any suggestions would be great.
Just a few:

Broken Heart - Spiritualized
Anthems for a 17 Year Old Girl - Broken Social Scene
Fake Empire - The National
Thursday - Asobi Seksu
Comforting Sounds - Mew
Consequence - The Notwist
Shoes - Akron/Family

hopefully at least one of these is something like what you're looking for

Free Weedlord
Dec 27, 2006

Not quite as powerful as timelord

etard knievel posted:

If you like Spor but not Pendulum or the Qemists, you should probably try more of the 'dark d&b' styles like darkstep. Check out Ed Rush & Optical, Raiden, Noisia, Technical Itch, Evol Intent, Dieselboy, Black Sun Empire, Counterstrike and Teebee

*edit: In my infinite ignorance I forgot Photek who is probably better than all of those other guys

Thanks a lot for this! Took me a while to reply because, well, it took a while getting to listen to those artists, and there's some good stuff in there. Especially Black Sun Empire had some good ones. Photek sounds more, ambient than the others though?

I still think after this though that Spor is hard to beat for me, his "Dante's Inferno" is really lovely to listen to. It's got the right mood and I don't get bored listening to it because of the variation throughout the song. If anyone know a particular track along these lines let me know!

But thanks, again, for the artist names. At least now I've got some base idea of the differences between the artists, and I have a chance to understand what people are talking about when they compare songs.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.

ShutteredIn posted:

These 6 Kinks albums from '66 to '71 are amazing and picking up any of them would be a good idea:

Awesome, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jesus, Nemo you alright?! Spaz! .... Stop Smiling!
I recently had a friend recommend me Aesop Rock but I forget the albums he said I should grab and his phone is off now so I can't figure it out now. I think one of them was a callabo with another artist. I'd remember it if I heard the name but I can't quite bring it up.

Also songs that begin acoustic or classical and break into something hard such as:

Grace by Lamb of God
Fade to Black by Metallica
The Regulator by Clutch
Stone the Crow by Down