Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I've been messing around with Delay in Guitar Rig a lot lately on my bass and having a lot of fun. Anyone able to recommend a good unit? I really like the "PsycheDelay" in GR, is that based off of an actual unit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Scarf posted:

I've been messing around with Delay in Guitar Rig a lot lately on my bass and having a lot of fun. Anyone able to recommend a good unit? I really like the "PsycheDelay" in GR, is that based off of an actual unit?

I'd recommend the EHX Memory Man and the Boss DD-20 for variety. If you want to go classic though nothing beats an Echoplex. The actual units sell for quite a bit these days but I believe they've managed to put it in a stompbox now.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
The DD-20 has a mediocre bypass IIRC; I use a DD-6 and it's quite nice, built-in tap tempo and up to 5.2 seconds of delay time. The Moog delay has a delightfully dark tone, and if you have a lot of gear that makes control voltage it's really versatile, and the fx loop comes in very handy. Another cool delay, if you can find one, is the Digitech Multi Play. It's got short enough delay modes and built in lfo modulation so it'll go from a flanger to a chorus to a regular delay.

Battlegoat
Jul 24, 2003

Nap Ghost
I've added a few new pedals into my chain and I'm wondering if maybe I should re-order them.

Right now, it looks like:
Dunlop Crybaby (Wah)
Boss TU-2 (Tuner)
EHX Nano Soul Preacher (Compressor)
EHX Micro POG (Octave)
Maxon OD808 (Overdrive)
Boss MT-2 (Distortion)
EHX Big Muff Pi (Fuzz)
Boss NS-2 (Noisegate)
Boss BF-3 (Flanger)
Boss DD-7 (Delay)
Boss RV-5 (Reverb)

Mainly, I'm not sure if I have the noisegate in the right place, and whether I should have the octave before or after the distortion (or before the compressor too? so confused). I'll end up playing with it for a while of course, but external opinions are cool too. :)

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Battlegoat posted:

I've added a few new pedals into my chain and I'm wondering if maybe I should re-order them.

Right now, it looks like:
Dunlop Crybaby (Wah)
Boss TU-2 (Tuner)
EHX Nano Soul Preacher (Compressor)
EHX Micro POG (Octave)
Maxon OD808 (Overdrive)
Boss MT-2 (Distortion)
EHX Big Muff Pi (Fuzz)
Boss NS-2 (Noisegate)
Boss BF-3 (Flanger)
Boss DD-7 (Delay)
Boss RV-5 (Reverb)

Mainly, I'm not sure if I have the noisegate in the right place, and whether I should have the octave before or after the distortion (or before the compressor too? so confused). I'll end up playing with it for a while of course, but external opinions are cool too. :)

I always use compression after everything to control total dynamic range. This helps a ton for my use of delay. Depends what you use the compressor for though.

Tomkat
Jul 23, 2007

Tom Cruise <3 Katie Holmes.
Katie Holmes <3 Tom Cruise.
:yaycloud:
Hey I'm trying to emulate a sound, particularly from Zero 7's The Fine Social Scene.

Guitar solo begins at 2:34. I'm thinking it's an octavio fuzz, but I'm pretty sure its more than that.

Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAvrtjGF910

edit: link

Tomkat fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 24, 2009

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Tomkat posted:

Hey I'm trying to emulate a sound, particularly from Zero 7's The Fine Social Scene.

Guitar solo begins at 2:34. I'm thinking it's an octavio fuzz, but I'm pretty sure its more than that.

Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAvrtjGF910

edit: link

That sounds like a Microsynth. It can get sounds VERY close to an octave fuzz, but the attack delay is a dead giveaway. Unfortunately, an octave fuzz is something like a third of the price of a Microsynth. Also unfortunately, it might be a mixture of both, but I wouldn't know for certain.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Scarf posted:

The PsychDelay includes functionality that's traditionally been a part of Eventide's delay algorithms. Look into getting an Eventide Timefactor - though it'll cost you a substantial amount, it's one of the best units (if not the best) on the market for stomp-box delay.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Agreed posted:

The PsychDelay includes functionality that's traditionally been a part of Eventide's delay algorithms. Look into getting an Eventide Timefactor - though it'll cost you a substantial amount, it's one of the best units (if not the best) on the market for stomp-box delay.

Oh sweet thanks. I think for the time being (due to budget reasons), if I get one in the near future, it'll be the Memory Boy Deluxe once it comes out. Looks like they're shooting for about $200.

Tomkat
Jul 23, 2007

Tom Cruise <3 Katie Holmes.
Katie Holmes <3 Tom Cruise.
:yaycloud:

Gorilla Salsa posted:

That sounds like a Microsynth. It can get sounds VERY close to an octave fuzz, but the attack delay is a dead giveaway. Unfortunately, an octave fuzz is something like a third of the price of a Microsynth. Also unfortunately, it might be a mixture of both, but I wouldn't know for certain.

Oooh that's pretty neat. It will cost me a couple of bills, I'm definitely going to wait and put it in the back of my wish list.

Thanks!

UrethraFranklin
Aug 11, 2003
I don't have a drinking problem, 'cept when I can't get a drink.
Ok, I'm looking to get a new overdrive pedal, and I'm very interested in Fulltone pedals, particularly the OCD and Fulldrive MOSFET 2. Unfortunately, I can't find anywhere where I can try them out, so I'm kind of relying on youtube clips to decide. What I like about both of them is that they aren't always so compressed/high gain, you can set them to simply provide some boost/sustain/gain for leads/soloing. I currently have a BBE Green Screamer, and it's not bad, but it has a weird tone to it that is really starting to get on my nerves. Which do you guys prefer, and for what reasons? Are there any other pedals I may be overlooking?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
So you guys probably know a shitload about dirty pedals, hopefully you can help me out. I like my amp's dirty channel and it really opens up with a tube screamer, but I'm looking for a nice distortion pedal, something that goes beyond just amp overdrive being pushed to the limit.

I think the 2 main areas that I've found that distortion pedals suck at are warmth and mids. A lot of distortion pedals seem to be quite extremely trebley or thin and no amount of EQing fixes it. That, and a bunch I've used tend to make mids sound really noisy and just clutter the sound up and make it much less tight. So that's basically what I'm looking for, a distortion pedal with a lot of warmth and nice, clear mids. This next requirement is slightly more esoteric but I'm also looking for a sound that isn't quite "metal" or what a typical distortion pedal sounds like. Maybe a distortion pedal with a slightly more unique tone to it?

I'm not a gear head in any sense so I find it difficult to talk about this stuff but hopefully you guys can help me out.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Whether it be digital or analog, on the computer or physical, which fuzz should I pick up in order to get very Fripp-like tones a la 'Back in Judy's Jungle' and 'St. Elmo's Fire'? I know, I know, there's a lot of post-production on everything he ever did, but I'm just looking to get that same sharp, somewhat step-function feel.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
I'm considering picking up the Line 6 DL4 Delay modeler during Black Friday sales. It will be as low as $175, but before I get it I would like to ask those in the know:

Are there any multi-delay modeling stompboxes that compare to the DL4 in variety, accessibility, and playability?

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Stayne Falls posted:

I'm considering picking up the Line 6 DL4 Delay modeler during Black Friday sales. It will be as low as $175, but before I get it I would like to ask those in the know:

Are there any multi-delay modeling stompboxes that compare to the DL4 in variety, accessibility, and playability?

Some other good multi-delays are the Boss DD-20, Eventide Timefactor and the Empress Superdelay. The Boss is about the same price as the DL-4, I think, while the other two are a bit more. Whether they are better than the DL-4 or not is entirely subjective, though.

VVV ah yeah, I forgot those.

Pannus fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 26, 2009

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
Also TC Electronic Nova Delay and Nova Repeater

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

UrethraFranklin posted:

Ok, I'm looking to get a new overdrive pedal, and I'm very interested in Fulltone pedals, particularly the OCD and Fulldrive MOSFET 2. Unfortunately, I can't find anywhere where I can try them out, so I'm kind of relying on youtube clips to decide. What I like about both of them is that they aren't always so compressed/high gain, you can set them to simply provide some boost/sustain/gain for leads/soloing. I currently have a BBE Green Screamer, and it's not bad, but it has a weird tone to it that is really starting to get on my nerves. Which do you guys prefer, and for what reasons? Are there any other pedals I may be overlooking?

cat doter posted:

So you guys probably know a shitload about dirty pedals, hopefully you can help me out. I like my amp's dirty channel and it really opens up with a tube screamer, but I'm looking for a nice distortion pedal, something that goes beyond just amp overdrive being pushed to the limit.

I think the 2 main areas that I've found that distortion pedals suck at are warmth and mids. A lot of distortion pedals seem to be quite extremely trebley or thin and no amount of EQing fixes it. That, and a bunch I've used tend to make mids sound really noisy and just clutter the sound up and make it much less tight. So that's basically what I'm looking for, a distortion pedal with a lot of warmth and nice, clear mids. This next requirement is slightly more esoteric but I'm also looking for a sound that isn't quite "metal" or what a typical distortion pedal sounds like. Maybe a distortion pedal with a slightly more unique tone to it?

I'm not a gear head in any sense so I find it difficult to talk about this stuff but hopefully you guys can help me out.

What you BOTH want is a Visual Sound: Jekyll and Hyde. The Jekyll is a modified TS808 with a Bass Boost, meaning you get a real fat and warm overdrive from it that can be used as a boost or a nice dirty pedal all by itself. I absolutely love the OD on the J+H.

The Hyde is a great distortion pedal. It's not the most brutal or metal pedal, but it holds its own against Black Album era Metallica and is very versatile. It's warm and chunky with a slight hint of hum, but not overbearingly (mind you, I push mine fairly hard). Both sides of the pedal are seriously awesome.

You can also get the OD and the Distortion in seperate pedals if you like. I cant recommend them highly enough.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

stairway to hippo posted:

Some other good multi-delays are the Boss DD-20, Eventide Timefactor and the Empress Superdelay. The Boss is about the same price as the DL-4, I think, while the other two are a bit more. Whether they are better than the DL-4 or not is entirely subjective, though.

VVV ah yeah, I forgot those.

Thanks both of you, I checked all those out and I think the best competition is the Boss Giga Delay. You're right that it's subjective but I like seeing what the Line 6 isn't offering that the competition is. Thanks again guys.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
Hey y'all, I need to attenuate my signal before my amps since I dont have an fx loop on anything but a delay pedal and have heaps of gain from my looper, moogerfoogers, and obv dirt pedals. Since I dont need to switch anything on or off (and I play in stereo most of the time), can I just wire 2 volume knobs in separate channels in a shielded box or ought I mess with any fancier resistors or any of that stuff? TIA :)

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

Hey y'all, I need to attenuate my signal before my amps since I dont have an fx loop on anything but a delay pedal and have heaps of gain from my looper, moogerfoogers, and obv dirt pedals. Since I dont need to switch anything on or off (and I play in stereo most of the time), can I just wire 2 volume knobs in separate channels in a shielded box or ought I mess with any fancier resistors or any of that stuff? TIA :)

I'm not 100% sure what your question is. Do you want to stick a volume pot after your pedals, before your amp's preamp? I doubt that will have the result you're after.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I'm not 100% sure what your question is. Do you want to stick a volume pot after your pedals, before your amp's preamp? I doubt that will have the result you're after.

I'd rather doubt it would as well, but the nice folks at ehx seem to disagree. And they get paid a lot more to think about this stuff than I do, et voilą, I have a question :)

Rimjob Rodeo
Apr 29, 2004

I have a question about an effect combo i'm hoping we could get to the bottom of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5pKWVKJqdQ

Pardon the obnoxious video, he's a relatively small artist so it's the only one I could find. I'm looking to figure out the effects in the intro. He also does it at about 1:20.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I'm a bit torn this Christmas. I can either ask for the Moogerfooger Ring Modulator or the Boss RC-20 Loop Station. I'm leaning towards the Ring Modulator just because I've wanted one for the past 6 years, but I'm also wowed by the large possibilities a simple loop station will be able to offer me. (I don't want the RC-2 because it doesn't do enough, but I don't want something like the RC-50 because that's just way too much.) Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Yes, always go for the Moog ring mod. It's my second favorite, only to the Moog delay. There's always something new to do with the ring mod, not just as a great noisemaker but as a tremolo it really breathes life into anything as well. And if you have any other voltage-controlled gear the ring mod fits right in since it has 2 oscillators and 4 CV inputs.

And if you do go for a looper, don't forget how handy MIDI and USB or a memory card to send data to a computer can be. I'm putting together a demo right now, but I dont have any mics so I'm just recording into my looper.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

MokBa posted:

I'm a bit torn this Christmas. I can either ask for the Moogerfooger Ring Modulator or the Boss RC-20 Loop Station. I'm leaning towards the Ring Modulator just because I've wanted one for the past 6 years, but I'm also wowed by the large possibilities a simple loop station will be able to offer me. (I don't want the RC-2 because it doesn't do enough, but I don't want something like the RC-50 because that's just way too much.) Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
Those pedals aren't really comparable, but here's my two cents anyway.

I've owned both the Moog Ring Mod and the RC-2 (not the 20). While they're both great fun, the RC-2 has been much more useful for me. I mainly use it for practice and for writing music, but I've used it on stage too. The RC-2 is a bit annoying to use live, but RC-20XL is better for that.

The Ring Mod sounds great, but I couldn't really incorporate it when playing music, i mainly used it for weird sounds and messing around. That might be different in your case, of course, a lot of people are better at implementing a ring modulator than I seem to be. It made some beautiful tremolo effects, though.

I ended up selling the Ring Mod during a downsizing kick, and I can't really say I miss it. Well, maybe a little bit, but compared to the RC-2 it was a pedal that I had very little use for. In my opinion, the Ring Mod is a fun toy, but the RC-is a useful tool, and I need the latter more. That may not be the case for you, of course, your style and your needs are probably different than mine.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Judging by those, it looks like I'm leaning towards the Ring Mod more. I'm much more of a live guitarist than a studio one. I wouldn't bother with the RC-2; I'd get the RC-20XL. I really want both though, but I'd have to sacrifice about everything else on my Christmas list to pull off that feat, and that's still asking a lot.

I kind of have backwards setup with my pedals. I go Guitar > Tuner > Boss FZ-2 Fuzz > Crybaby > H2O Liquid Chorus & Echo > Small Stone Phaser > Amp. It's just what I've amassed over the years, and I'm really big on making the weird sounds. I think a good Ring Mod near the end of the setup would do wonders. It's just that drat Loop Station that's been calling my name the past few months. I'm obsessed with layers in my music and something like that would go a long way in a live show.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

One way to look at it is to think that the ring mod is perfected fifty year old technology while the longer you wait to get a looper, the better the new ones'll be. :3:

Cool Cool Cool
Apr 17, 2008

by T. Finn
I've been looking for a fuzz pedal that can create some really harsh waves of fuzz a la The Jesus and Mary Chain or The Raveonettes. I know that JAMC used a Shin-ei pedal into a lot of reverb, but I've been looking for something a little more useful. I was thinking of getting the Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom for awhile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv6nM4evYS0
Any other good suggestions?

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Cool Cool Cool posted:

I've been looking for a fuzz pedal that can create some really harsh waves of fuzz a la The Jesus and Mary Chain or The Raveonettes. I know that JAMC used a Shin-ei pedal into a lot of reverb, but I've been looking for something a little more useful. I was thinking of getting the Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom for awhile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv6nM4evYS0
Any other good suggestions?

The Fender Blender, a Kevin Shields favourite.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Angry Justin posted:

I have a question about an effect combo i'm hoping we could get to the bottom of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5pKWVKJqdQ

Pardon the obnoxious video, he's a relatively small artist so it's the only one I could find. I'm looking to figure out the effects in the intro. He also does it at about 1:20.

Sounds to me like a super hairy fuzz, (a silicon maybe?, you could probably use a fuzz factory to get that sound) with a phaser or a flanger, I am not sure which one in particular since flangers and phasers are similar.

Descendent
Jul 8, 2003

One, Two, Three, Four!

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

Thats a fine solution to a problem you shouldn't be having.

Almost all pedals have a volume control so you can tailor the gain before it goes to the output. What's at the end of your chain?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Descendent posted:

Thats a fine solution to a problem you shouldn't be having.

Almost all pedals have a volume control so you can tailor the gain before it goes to the output. What's at the end of your chain?

The order of my pedals changes a lot depending on what I'm trying to do. My problem stems largely from my ehx 2880, which is a very interesting looper but unfortunately has the loop volume control also be the feedback level for recording sound on sound, so when I'm doing sound on sound I have to crank the thing (and its usually after two or three moogerfoogers and a dirt pedal or two) which from time to time gives me a hotter signal than I'd like. I guess I'm just wary of volume pedals killing tone

(also what nice planet do you live on where almost all pedals have a volume control? if i can fit all my gear into a spaceship i might consider moving :))

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Stayne Falls posted:

The Fender Blender, a Kevin Shields favourite.

Speaking of that, do you know of any similar fuzzes with a wet/dry blend control but without the octave, and also cheaper than a Fender Blender.

e: or would it be more effective to use something else to split the signal, send it through a more basic fuzz, then recombine it with the clean signal?

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 13, 2009

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

While it's actually become kind of a thing for ODs to have a blend control, it's not really done to any degree on fuzzes. There are pedals designed to let you run stuff in parallel, but a cheap mixer would do the trick just as well and give you hand-level control over the stuff if you ran the cables for it.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Way Past Cool! posted:

Speaking of that, do you know of any similar fuzzes with a wet/dry blend control but without the octave, and also cheaper than a Fender Blender.

e: or would it be more effective to use something else to split the signal, send it through a more basic fuzz, then recombine it with the clean signal?

The Voodoo Lab Sparkledrive does this to some extent, but that's in theory because I've never actually used one. And it's not fuzz, just OD.

sleep
Mar 30, 2005
hello.

Agreed posted:

While it's actually become kind of a thing for ODs to have a blend control, it's not really done to any degree on fuzzes. There are pedals designed to let you run stuff in parallel, but a cheap mixer would do the trick just as well and give you hand-level control over the stuff if you ran the cables for it.

Putting a cheap mixer on your pedal board doesn't sound like a very good idea. Both the size and the "oh no I just knocked the master fader from 0 to +15 dB and I'm in feedback hell"-factor speak against it. Then maybe someone with smaller and less clumsy feet than mine would do fine with something like that.

In my opinion the best thing to do is to get a two channel amp which can run both channels simultaneously and split the signal before the fuzz. If the two channels have separate EQs you've got extra control over the fuzz tone as well.

sleep fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 13, 2009

royalejest
Oct 31, 2006

Clapton is God.
Has anyone had any experience with the Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz with a Les Paul/Humbucker guitar. I might buy one for myself for Christmas, and going off of YouTube, it's the nicest sounding one I've heard, but the last fuzz I bought sounded like rear end crickets with my LP.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

sleep posted:

Putting a cheap mixer on your pedal board doesn't sound like a very good idea. Both the size and the "oh no I just knocked the master fader from 0 to +15 dB and I'm in feedback hell"-factor speak against it. Then maybe someone with smaller and less clumsy feet than mine would do fine with something like that.

In my opinion the best thing to do is to get a two channel amp which can run both channels simultaneously and split the signal before the fuzz. If the two channels have separate EQs you've got extra control over the fuzz tone as well.

Hence hand-level - I meant that to imply you'd want to have it at hand, rather than at foot, for exactly that reason. There was quite a bit of discussion over using small mixers to accomplish parallel signal paths at TGP and HC last year, didn't really catch on but it's still a neat idea.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Agreed posted:

Would a y splitter and this do the trick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Way Past Cool! posted:

Would a y splitter and this do the trick?

Yeah, that should do it (although I think they have fully passive mixers that might be more convenient). If you're feeling crafty, it's not a particularly complicated circuit to wire up either.