Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

danishcake posted:

That was really impressive - did the color indicate different detail levels paging in and out?

Thanks. And yep, that's what's going on there. The detail levels are paged from system memory to video memory. I assign a random color when initializing the GPU resources.

I'm hoping to have real textures soon-ish. I'm working on a way to create procedural textures from XML files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Changed reflectance model to Cook-Torrance, it's extremely hard to illustrate it properly with a screenshot rather than a video, but gloss behaves much more convincingly now.

Tweaked volumetric fog, which now properly handles progressive density gradients at the fog surface rather than transitioning immediately from 0% to 100% density.

Click here for the full 640x400 image.

Demo of transitional volumetric fog on a test map with 8x density modifier, the "wedge" tip is where the top of the fog volume starts.

Unfortunately I'm not going to be implementing NS2 style shadow casting within fog volumes because I'm trying to spend LESS time on renderer features and move on.

Sex Bumbo
Aug 14, 2004
That's quite the interesting color of brown you've got there.

In the first, is there refraction going on? It's hard to tell from the screen shot, it just sort of looks like your metal is wiggly.

Contero
Mar 28, 2004

Stanlo posted:

That's quite the interesting color of brown you've got there.

I can only hope I do enough research to create the next generation of photo-realistic poo poo fog.

That looks pretty neat otherwise.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Yeah, there's a water surface about 4" above the "top" floor portion.

And yeah I know the color looks like vaporized poo poo, it was originally a paler "muddy water" type color except then I added gamma correction which turned it into a more orange color and I haven't fixed it yet.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 10, 2009

wlievens
Nov 26, 2006
Terrain Editor for my isometric game.
It's not an image editor, it's a GUI for my configuration files.

I suck at layout managers :-)

Click here for the full 1119x916 image.

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

wlievens posted:

Terrain Editor for my isometric game.
It's not an image editor, it's a GUI for my configuration files.

I suck at layout managers :-)

Click here for the full 1119x916 image.

One thing I've done in the past is process the metadata in images to transfer information from the graphics editor to the game. So in your case you could use the image title and the tags, and perhaps something in the description for arbitrary keyed data like movement cost.

This makes it less likely to become desynchronised, speeds up asset creation (one less tool to load up), makes producing modified resources much faster, allows you to use the OS's tools for working with metadata, and simplifies issues if you're dealing with more than one asset source. So you could add a new tag, select all the files in a folder that apply to it, and set the tag at once.

I've tried taking this to an extreme where everything's in PNG files (with things like L-system trees being a sample image with the state in metadata) and I'd just drag-and-drop from folders into the editor. It worked really nicely, very clean feeling, although I didn't get far with the project.

The Wizard of Oz fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 12, 2009

Spasman
Nov 9, 2009

now i'm a jerk and everybody loves me
I realize Game Maker is probably the most casual and underpowered thing to use to make games, but I'm pretty experienced with it and I enjoy creating things with it so I figured I'd show what I am currently working on. I am currently trying to teach myself C++ and I will also try to learn some python as well, so I guess I'm not totally worthless.

Anyways, yeah, the game. It's a platformer, slowly transforming into a stealth game. So far I've only dubbed it "Cloak Guy Game"

You are a guy in a cloak, and you can use all sorts of athletic maneuvers, like gliding, jumping super high, and using a grapplehook. You also have a bow & arrow and a knife. You can (somewhat) sneak up on guards and monsters and backstab them for instant kills, or simply sneak by them in the darkness. The game is using a simple lighting engine I made. The player can use the dark to hide and escape from enemies. Guards are able to detect sound, such as footsteps, the sound of your cloak when you glide, you shooting an arrow etc. You can sneak up on a guard by walking and silencing your footsteps.

So anyways, heres screens:

Pre-lighting effects

Post-lighting effects

I will attempt to go further then "lighted circles" with the lighting effects, such as dynamic lighting and shadows, but for now I'm keeping it simple so I can make efficient A.I. for the guards and enemies that use light.

Yeah, I'm not the world's greatest artist or environment designer, but it will have to do for now. I have also made a system that can randomly generate blocks and make somewhat of a time-wasting climbing level. Personally, I'm proud of it.

wlievens
Nov 26, 2006

Snodar posted:

One thing I've done in the past is process the metadata in images to transfer information from the graphics editor to the game. So in your case you could use the image title and the tags, and perhaps something in the description for arbitrary keyed data like movement cost.

Sounds interesting, but my current system works and changing it again would require quite some work. I'll keep it in mind though for the future as it's an interesing technique

Snodar posted:

This makes it less likely to become desynchronised, speeds up asset creation (one less tool to load up), makes producing modified resources much faster, allows you to use the OS's tools for working with metadata, and simplifies issues if you're dealing with more than one asset source. So you could add a new tag, select all the files in a folder that apply to it, and set the tag at once.

Cool. I didn't think of that.

Snodar posted:

I've tried taking this to an extreme where everything's in PNG files (with things like L-system trees being a sample image with the state in metadata) and I'd just drag-and-drop from folders into the editor. It worked really nicely, very clean feeling, although I didn't get far with the project.

I assume you work with a Mac? :-)

darqness
Jul 20, 2006
I have done a lot more work on my maze game including MULTIPLAYER and an editor that is way faster. Also create an account to customize your guy or you can just stay anonymous as a blue square. The starting area is pretty turbulent so if you want to draw something cool just head to the west or east for some clean area. WASD moves and Space draws.
http://www.graphitimaze.com

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

darqness posted:

I have done a lot more work on my maze game including MULTIPLAYER and an editor that is way faster. Also create an account to customize your guy or you can just stay anonymous as a blue square. The starting area is pretty turbulent so if you want to draw something cool just head to the west or east for some clean area. WASD moves and Space draws.

This is really strange and I'm not sure if I get it, but it's a cool idea. The collaborative drawing reminds me of the goonbase stuff, but I'm not sure I understand why it's a maze.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SlightlyMadman posted:

This is really strange and I'm not sure if I get it, but it's a cool idea. The collaborative drawing reminds me of the goonbase stuff, but I'm not sure I understand why it's a maze.

I just tried playing it, and it was pretty awesome. Its more like you are lost in a magical world because you are in a maze as opposed to just your normal collaborative drawing thingy.

darqness
Jul 20, 2006

SlightlyMadman posted:

If it wasn't a maze it would just be a big piece of paper, but I like the idea that you have to work a little bit to find the really big art. Also my next big addition is going to be scripted monsters you can program to run around.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

darqness posted:

If it wasn't a maze it would just be a big piece of paper, but I like the idea that you have to work a little bit to find the really big art. Also my next big addition is going to be scripted monsters you can program to run around.

Oh my god that would be like an online collaborative game of ZZT and it would be amazing.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

I've been tinkering with non-photorealistic rendering a bit to see if it's worthwhile, with somewhat interesting results. I need to delve a bit deeper into the theory behind this stuff if I'm really going to take it all the way, but one thing that's fairly common in color comic book art is a combination of stark delineations between light and shadow, but also "airbrushed" subtle tone changes within the light and dark areas.

I think this can be approximated in the lighting model:

Work in progress, and I don't think this is the greatest example since it would probably work a lot better with pastel textures than busy photorealistic ones.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Nov 25, 2009

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

As a mini-project in my computer vision class, I'm implementing an image-to-ASCII art generator that performs Canny edge detection and template matching over a bunch of characters in OpenCV. I'm sure there are tons of ways to improve it, but I'm trying to keep its implementation to only stuff we've discussed in class.

Here's my dog :3:

Click here for the full 1242x742 image.

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

Dijkstracula posted:

As a mini-project in my computer vision class, I'm implementing an image-to-ASCII art generator that performs Canny edge detection and template matching over a bunch of characters in OpenCV. I'm sure there are tons of ways to improve it, but I'm trying to keep its implementation to only stuff we've discussed in class.

Here's my dog :3:

Click here for the full 1242x742 image.

Awesome! i've done really simple image to ascii converters before but I never did anything as complicated as canny edge detection. Is it possible I could see your code when you are done?

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

tripwire posted:

Awesome! i've done really simple image to ascii converters before but I never did anything as complicated as canny edge detection. Is it possible I could see your code when you are done?
Sure. It's due the middle of the month so I'll toss it up somewhere after that. OpenCV does all the heavy lifting so it's only about eighty lines :ssh:

Nibelheim
Jul 7, 2006

I wouldn't normally post school assignments in this thread, but this particular one I've been working on for my computer graphics class was just so fun I have to show it off.

It doesn't look as impressing as most of the other specialized graphics projects posted in this thread, but it does contain a lot of features.

The first part of the assignment was to build an OpenGL application that simulated a star system. The second part was to allow the user to build a B-Spline curve in the star system that a space ship would follow.

We had to apply most OpenGL basics; scene graphs, animation, lighting, texture mapping and filters, picking, particle effects, etc. But to add to the challenge, me and my lab partner decided to build everything using a Components architecture. It was our first time trying it out and it definitely gave us a huge overhead at first, but damned if I didn't love our design choice at the end of our project. It was so easy to add new features and apply them to anything in our scene (e.g particle effects) with little to no overhead.

By far the funnest assignment of my bachelor's in software engineering so far.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

I've been tinkering with non-photorealistic rendering a bit to see if it's worthwhile, with somewhat interesting results. I need to delve a bit deeper into the theory behind this stuff if I'm really going to take it all the way, but one thing that's fairly common in color comic book art is a combination of stark delineations between light and shadow, but also "airbrushed" subtle tone changes within the light and dark areas.

I think this can be approximated in the lighting model:

Work in progress, and I don't think this is the greatest example since it would probably work a lot better with pastel textures than busy photorealistic ones.

ShaderX7 has an interesting article from the Crackdown developers, describing (among other things) how they got the cartoony look of the game. Maybe it's worth checking out for your purposes?

Dass Niemand
Aug 11, 2005

I HAVE CANCER
I'm a grad student in Geophysics, but my research is geared more towards visualization, graphics and image processing. So, my code often creates pretty pictures

Some examples:

voronoi diagrams

line integral convolution for vector field processing

contouring using marching squares

volume renderer for CT scan data

edit: Bonus shiny pony.

Dass Niemand fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 4, 2009

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Dass Niemand posted:

volume renderer for CT scan data
Wow, I was looking for something like this when I got my CT results after an accident last summer. Any chance you can make this public?

Dass Niemand
Aug 11, 2005

I HAVE CANCER

jegHegy posted:

Wow, I was looking for something like this when I got my CT results after an accident last summer. Any chance you can make this public?

I make all my code open source, but the algorithm isn't as robust as I want so that's why I haven't distributed it. The algorithm I implemented is based off a paper written by Marc Levoy called "Direct Volume Rendering" where you can take a 3D binary data set and create pictures like that, neat stuff!

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

jegHegy posted:

There are quite a few volume renderers out there you could play around with. One of them that I've come across during my paper reading is Voreen (https://www.voreen.org).

It looks extremely customizable with a nice UI and its open source.

I hope I get the time to fool around with it during the holidays.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

darqness posted:

I made something in the screenshot! :3:

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

tripwire posted:

So I've submitted it to the prof, so it's as done as it's likely going to be for the forseeable future :3: (if anybody is in CPSC 505 at UBC, keep your mitts off my project! :v: )

My favourite one, which used this image as input:
code:
                                               ^--^__--^_^                                          
                                -           ^o^A--_-^  _ --^^_+                                     
                         o-^^+---^-^_Jo  ^^Yo:  '^J_-^A^  _^  \\^                                   
                      ^o-YT+^--To-^oTLo\/o^oXL^Ao^oXXT\_  X-^-' ^\  ^_   \                          
                      XAX/TT+--A^AA\^+JLALXTJX+X+-XJ/+^J_^  \-Jo\o^-+oooTo-+\                       
                   ^^-XoA++AXoo/ALoY\o\XJYo_oXo_^oo+J-oA^o^_^Jo^-\\^-+LT+XJ^\A^ A^^                 
                  AXA\JAooT+J-o\\oTo^'/TAL-X'o^^^o-X +^A^L^X  oAJoTo-Ao+XXoAoAoA-To^                
                 A/o^+|o-^-oVLL-^Ao\o^AAAAoA+^\^+oAY/^   T-|   ^o_TXJ\Ao^ooXJXoo-_Lo-^              
                 '-J^-Y^+AX^^ +o--YL\|L-oA:^ oAo-^J^o\T   ^:X YL+ooY--^/J^+AAA-o^oLA|YJ             
                 oYoV^^VX-Lo  ^V XT\ L+YA+o     _^AT  '-   ^V/JAJ^oo XooLJ+AXAAAo-V\\|oT            
                 T+AoY+Xoo|^J^X\oJ+/-AXTLLV    '^\oo-o-^ ---A-o-o^\J YoV'X^Xoo+J/ ^o^L/             
                AYLoXLL^XXoo\AAo-\^AJ            Y-:-YA^T    ^VYJ   -/AY   -oX\   +o^'Y             
               \AJVoAJAAL-VJXo^Y  ^-^ L        o                     -^     'YX   / X\^             
               L^^oAVoo^YoL--V\^  ^J\^o-oo     \                      :o     // :^\o XY\            
                X^J|XAoJAoX _^/\\ --XT-o^'     '                  V A       ^V^o_\\o/  X            
                V^-^J-YJA-^^^^-JTYoAJ-ooXJ-+                    ^YY +Y-       ^JJ^/ \^^^            
                   ^^^  --- ^o^:-^^o_^:^Xo^'      o-L^^ -^^ Y -/+^--^^T   ^_ \    |_^/              
                     o\^ --^--^o-^^-^//X+^^Y^     /AoAX-T-Y^/^/ ^\_^^        /   ^/                 
                       -\^_^-_--J_o--o^-^^-^      L-oLoAV/X^ /               X^^/-                  
                          --   o^^-^^-^A ---+-     --+AT^T J ^_^__o  ----_-^-^                      
                                       ^^^   YA       ^JA J-^-^-  T^-T                              
                                             AT^^_^^   ^JJV                                         
                                            o/ ^-- Y     T\                                         
                                            / ^Yooo^^\JX  -\                                        
                                          ^/YooJ+L ^_-^'   Y^^\                                     
                                         o/+LTo|TXoAT       Y T                                     
                                         oAYAXLX^X+JL        ^Y                                     
                                          ^-_o^^         o^-^^                                      
                                            oJ ^/     \   A                                         
                                            X  LoV    -/  |                                         
                                            \\ ooo/^o--\  ^|                                        
                                             |'X-V-XJTo\o  o                                        
                                            /^ATV/+V'-JLXXY                                         
                                  J   /-^-^-XX-TXoT+Xo+oJAoL_o-+^o_+     J                          
                          T\-^oX^^-AY-^ -^-TJo^oTY^-+LXYo-^+XX^_/oXAo-T^_----\                      
                         ooo^o+X^Ao/A+ooYXoVooo+o-^VoX+JA^o-oAA-A+AoTXAVXX\^^T-\                    
                         LX-oooo-YTJAoY--ATLYA+XJoYAX-XVAX-XJ^ooXAV^J\oA+oXJA o/                    
     +---_-------^--V-JJoAVo-+oV^AXTAA_^TA^o+J:ooA^-oALo---oA-JoX^-TJAT-^-oX^o^^^------_--o         
               ^_ - 'AA+_-' ^TJ^J-:A^+J^XYXooXXooA+^'o\AooA-T^--\-ooooJoLoo-\X^A-L^oJ^A---^         
_-+o-Lo+o_^-ooo++--^-^-^o-^-+----_--: -: __-- ^- __^-^_--+ -- --_--_------__-------o-_-------^-oA:_-
http://dijkstracula.net/projects/asciifier/

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

Dijkstracula posted:

So I've submitted it to the prof, so it's as done as it's likely going to be for the forseeable future :3: (if anybody is in CPSC 505 at UBC, keep your mitts off my project! :v: )

Awesome! Thanks a lot dude!

Dass Niemand
Aug 11, 2005

I HAVE CANCER
For a project I am visualizing a second order tensor field using hyperstreamlines, and the application is for fault detection in depth seismic imaging. Here are a couple screenies:

RussianManiac
Dec 27, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Volume Visualizer I made for graphics calls using VTK library:

These are all from same CT scan data set, except for last one, which is slightly modified original set.

Click here for the full 1918x1200 image.

Click here for the full 1926x1200 image.

Click here for the full 1917x1200 image.

Click here for the full 1923x1200 image.

Click here for the full 1936x1139 image.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Super Awesome Volume Visualizer

:golfclap:

What does raw CT scan data look like?

RussianManiac
Dec 27, 2005

by Ozmaugh

fletcher posted:

Super Awesome Volume Visualizer

:golfclap:

What does raw CT scan data look like?

I got it from here http://graphics.stanford.edu/data/voldata/. My program only reads binary floating point values tho, so I had to convert from the files that are hosted there.

Dass Niemand
Aug 11, 2005

I HAVE CANCER

RussianManiac posted:

I got it from here http://graphics.stanford.edu/data/voldata/. My program only reads binary floating point values tho, so I had to convert from the files that are hosted there.

Another good site is http://www.volvis.org/ which has a lot of neat volume data sets given as binary floating points. I used these to test my volume rendering stuff

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm working on a toolset that's built on fast and simple Unix IPC. The initial piece is a program for easy, interactive, real-time 2D vector graphics generation through an STDIN/STDOUT interface, this is called Animator.

Here is a simple example game in less than 600 lines of Python. It writes drawing commands intended for Animator and reads events generated by Animator. The result is somewhat like this choppy animated :siren: gif:

Click here for the full 400x400 image.

For this, you need to run the programs in a "69" configuration (so first output goes to second input and second output goes to first input); originally I wrote a tool called 69 for this, but today I sat down and wrote a more generalized and powerful version that can pipe multiple programs together in various ways.

These utils could be the most useful when you're doing quick/hackish stuff - we're quite into the competition scene (like ICFP and Challenge24), there some quick visualization driven by a 10-line AWK script can save your day.

Dass Niemand
Aug 11, 2005

I HAVE CANCER

These are really good, are you running these through the GPU? Since you have a lot of interactivity I assume you must be because otherwise rendering time would be painfully slow using raycasting

RussianManiac
Dec 27, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Dass Niemand posted:

These are really good, are you running these through the GPU? Since you have a lot of interactivity I assume you must be because otherwise rendering time would be painfully slow using raycasting

Yea I am. Check out the VTK library: http://www.vtk.org/ it's pretty ok for a free open-source viz kit. It does most of the hard work for me here. I just basically created the GUI to isolate the intervals of data to emphasize.

BigRedDot
Mar 6, 2008

RussianManiac posted:

Yea I am. Check out the VTK library: http://www.vtk.org/ it's pretty ok for a free open-source viz kit.
That's because it's been in active development for over a decade, largely by professionals who left GE medical imagining. :) The main problem with VTK these days is its shear size and unwieldiness, it's sometimes hard to find which of those 600 or so classes is the one you need.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I hate VTK, but that's because I'm forced to use it in VisIt instead of the native readers for my meshes.

RussianManiac
Dec 27, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Yea gently caress VTK. It is useful for some small things I guess, but it is too over-engineered and its doxygen documentation sucks rear end, and you have to buy that expensive loving book to get descent one on it :(

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS
Finished my final thesis :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

heeen posted:

Finished my final thesis :)

Cool! Is this view-dependent LOD?