Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Got this one today:

Dad posted:

Your U.S. House & Senate have voted themselves $4,700 and $5,300 raises.
They voted to not give you a S.S. Cost of living raise in 2010 and 2011.
Your Medicaid premiums will go up $285.60 for the 2-years and
You will not get the 3% COLA: $660/yr. Your total 2-yr loss and cost is
-$1,600 or -$3,200 for husband and wife.
Over 2-yrs they ea. Get $10,000
Will they have your cost of drugs - doctor fees - local taxes - food, etc.., increase?
NO WAY. They have a raise and better benefits. Why care about you? You never did anything about it in the past.
Do you really think that Nancy, Harry, Chris, Charlie, Barnie, et al, care about you? SEND THE MESSAGE-- You're FIRED.

CHANCE TO GET RID OF THE SITTING CONGRESS:
Up to 1/3 OF THE SENATE, AND 100% OF THE HOUSE.

MAKE SURE YOU'RE STILL MAD IN NOVEMBER 2010

It is ok to forward this to your sphere of influence if you're finally tired of the abuse.

The reply is.

Son posted:

Allow me to make some corrections:

The $4700 pay raise for 2009 was voted on by the 110th congress which ended in January 2009.

The 2010 pay raise was voted down by the 111th congress in February of 2009, and their term does not end until January 2011.

If you are mad about the pay raise, you should vote for the incumbents of the 111th congress, who are up for re-election in 2010.

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tape Speed
Aug 3, 2005

by T. Finn

Strudel Man posted:

I don't see what it has to do with fascism other than the fact that it both involves government authority and is bad.

Dirigisme but with competing private interests instead of monolithic nationalized industry is the core of fascism? I don't see how you can say it's not similar unless you lack even an elementary understanding of fascism.

quote:

And it's not even that bad in all cases, we have a system very similar for car insurance that more or less works.

Auto insurance is different. 1. It's mandated by most states, but the standards vary a fair amount between them instead of having one national mandate that creates conditions that are easier to exploit. 2. It's possible to avoid the system completely by moving to an urban area with good public transportation, whereas there isn't an "out" like that for health insurance mandates. 3. Autos/driving is a privilege and not a right so its not so egregious in principle.

Finally, I'd dispute your claim that the auto insurance system works well enough. There are tons of stories like this: http://www.wbaltv.com/11investigates/5424089/detail.html about different rates and exploitative pricing over minor factors that I do not want to see copied over to a system dealing with life and death.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

quote:

Federal Judge Carter sets Trial Date for Obama's Eligibility!

The expedited trial has been set for Jan. 26, 2010!

Many concerned veterans and citizens attended the hearing in Federal Court in Santa Ana in the lawsuit against Barack Obama to determine his eligibility to be President and Commander in Chief. About 150 people showed up, almost all in support of the lawsuit to demand that Obama release his birth certificate and other records that he has hidden from the American people.

Judge David Carter refused to hear Obama's request for dismissal. He indicated there was almost no chance that this case would be dismissed. Obama is arguing this lawsuit was filed in the wrong court if you can believe that. Obama would prefer a "kangaroo court" instead of a Federal court! Assuming Judge Carter denies Obama's motion for dismissal, he will likely then order expedited discovery which will force Obama to release his birth certificate in a timely manner (if he has one).

The judge, WHO IS A FORMER U.S. MARINE, repeated several times that this is A VERY SERIOUS CASE which must be resolved quickly so that the troops know
that their Commander in Chief is eligible to hold that position and issue lawful orders to our military in this time of war. He basically said OBAMA MUST PROVE HIS ELIGIBILITY to the court! He said Americans deserve to know the truth about their President!

The two U.S. Attorneys representing Barack Obama tried everything they could to sway the judge that this case was frivolous, but Carter would have none of it and cut them off several times. Obama's attorneys left the courtroom after about the 90 minute hearing looking defeated and nervous.

Great day in America for the U.S. Constitution! The truth about Barack Obama's eligibility will be known fairly soon - Judge Carter practically guaranteed it!

Hey there's no link to a news story BUT HE'S A MARINE. OORAH.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

Hey there's no link to a news story BUT HE'S A MARINE. OORAH.

This same Marine?

quote:

'Birthers' lawsuit challenging Obama's election is dismissed
October 29, 2009 | 12:05 pm
The “birthers” lose, again.

This morning, a U.S. District Court Judge in Santa Ana dismissed a federal lawsuit challenging President Obama’s election on the grounds he wasn’t born in the U.S.
In his opinion, Judge David O. Carter stated that it is not within the constitutional power of the federal courts to “overthrow a sitting president.”

The case, brought forward by California attorney Orly Taitz, a leader of the so-called “birther” movement, claims that Obama doesn’t meet the constitutional qualifications to be president because he has not shown he is a “natural born citizen” of the U.S.

Obama has produced a birth certificate from Hawaii, but Taitz claims there is evidence he was born in Kenya.

This case has failed to advance beyond several lower courts. Taitz was also fined $20,000 on Oct. 13 by a federal judge in Columbus, Georgia in part because Taitz had used the legal system to pursue “political rhetoric and insults,” the judge in that case stated.

In the most recent case, Carter wrote in his opinion how “plaintiffs have attacked” anyone who has dismissed their claim as “unpatriotic and even treasonous.”

“Respecting the constitutional role and jurisdiction of this court is not unpatriotic," he said. "Quite the contrary, this Court considers commitment to that constitutional role to be the ultimate reflection of patriotism.”

MDDevice
Jul 14, 2000

NecroBob posted:

This same Marine?
Yeah, Snopes says it was dismissed as well and links to the court document. Also, Taitz does not appear to be a very good lawyer.

[Edit]: Man, reading that ruling paints an entirely different picture of the trial. Not only is the outcome different, but the smackdown the judge lays on Taitz implies that the case didn't go very well for her, completely at odds with what the email claims.

MDDevice fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 10, 2009

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It's really painful how the Birther mentality lets them keep at it. No matter what evidence you present that he's a US citizen "well I have this other evidence...".
If you shut them down because it's a waste of time they will argue that you are suppressing the truth. They basically cannot "lose".

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Tape Speed posted:

Dirigisme but with competing private interests instead of monolithic nationalized industry is the core of fascism? I don't see how you can say it's not similar unless you lack even an elementary understanding of fascism.
I would say that the core of fascism is more the idea of a hyper-nationalistic, autocratic government with an emphasis on popular unity and individual subordination to the interests of the state. The economic aspects of fascism are comparatively disunified; certainly, fascists didn't shy away from nationalizing industries when they felt it was necessary. And if you want to get nitpicky, they weren't typically fond of financial industries like insurance.

But the real problem I have with your statement is that 'fascism' hasn't become an epithet for its economic policies, but its social and foreign policies. Using it as a pejorative for a purely economic proposition thus feels vaguely deceptive.

edit: I should probably clarify that I agree it's bad policy, compared to single-payer. I just think calling it 'fascist' policy is hyperbolic at best.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 10, 2009

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's really painful how the Birther mentality lets them keep at it. No matter what evidence you present that he's a US citizen "well I have this other evidence...".
If you shut them down because it's a waste of time they will argue that you are suppressing the truth. They basically cannot "lose".

It is like you are in a cult, you know the truth, everyone else hasn't seen the light yet.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

JohnClark posted:

I saw this one the other day, and aside from the general stupidity of it, the one that jumped out at me was the "57 states of Islam". What does that even mean? And how can they include the suggestion the he's a cryptomuslim while simulatenously critizing his attendance of a christian church?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBSSLHc0Krk

dun dun dun!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_majority_countries

There are 48.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBSSLHc0Krk

dun dun dun!

I listen to stuff like this and I wonder where some of these people get off claiming that the man has a silver tongue.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Grandma posted:

HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?

And finally
The most perplexing of all....

I hope this isn't the start of a new trend.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

there are, in fact, 57 member states of the Organisation of the Islamic Conference. Muslim president.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Stupid poo poo

:ughh:

They don't seem to be even trying anymore. I'm surprised they didn't add in, THESE WERE ALL TERRORIST ATTACKS ZERO ALLOWED TO HAPPEN!!!!

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control
Just got this from my dad, who seems to be similar to nearly everyone else's dad:

quote:

Who elected Obama?

The statistics listed below are immensely sobering. I do think our country is making immense changes from what I have know it to be. We are guided by a limited democracy majority vote and that, of course, will determine our future.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.â€Â
George Orwell

Subject: Who elected Obama?
THIS WILL CURDLE YOUR BLOOD & BREAK YOUR HEART

Interesting Statistic
Professor Joseph Olson of Hemline University School of Law, St.. Paul , Minnesota , points out facts of 2008 Presidential election:

Number of States won by:
Democrats: 19
Republicans: 29

Square miles of land won by:
Democrats: 580,000
Republicans: 2,427,000

Population of counties won by:
Democrats: 127 million
Republicans: 143 million

Murder rate per 100,000 residents in counties won by:
Democrats: 13.2
Republicans: 2.1

Professor Olson adds:
"In aggregate, the map of the territory Republican won by Republicans was mostly the land owned by the taxpaying citizens of the country.

Democrat territory mostly encompassed those citizens living in government-owned tenements and living off various forms of government welfare.

Professor Olson believes the United States is now somewhere between the "complacency and apathy" phase of Professor Tyler's definition of democracy, with some forty percent of the nation's population already having reached the "governmental dependency" phase.

If Congress grants amnesty and citizenship to twenty million criminal invaders called illegals and they vote, then we can say goodbye to the USA in fewer than five years.

Pass this along to help everyone realize just how much is at stake, knowing that apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

quazi posted:

Just got this from my dad, who seems to be similar to nearly everyone else's dad:

They've been running some variant of this since 2000 or so.

Bottom line?: Land doesn't vote.

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

You have impressed FFCiv with your turn time!
They turn a blind eye to the turn times of other civilizations, and your Influence over them has increased by 40.

Zwabu posted:

They've been running some variant of this since 2000 or so.

Bottom line?: Land doesn't vote.

but real nice to see someone in 2009 subtly hint that voting should be linked to land ownership.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quazi posted:

Send him this: http://www.factcheck.org/2009/01/unreported-stats/

Long story short: the guy didn't write it, and every single number is wrong

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control
Thanks for the link. I replied with "source: Factcheck.org", and copied and pasted that entire page as a response. I also used "Reply All" to make everybody in my family think I'm some sort of atheist/liberal/heathen rear end in a top hat (if they didn't already think so).

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Aha, yes I think this was posted earlier either in this or some other "crazy GOPers" thread. It's coming back now. The attribution to the professor is false (and his university name misspelled, :laugh: ), and I suspect that the numbers are way off, including the number of states won by Obama/McCain, either because

- the email is "repackaged" from the 2000 or 2004 election without even bothering to look up the new data (which would not look nearly as "good" for their side since a lot more "land" as well as people voted for Obama than Kerry or Gore)

or

- because it's completely made up, pulled out of the author's rear end.

This one is well worth snopesing or factchecking and "reply all" because even the simplest of facts, like the number of states won, can easily be verified and shown false and is not complicated in the least to understand.

Problem is, the senders of these never seem the least bit embarrassed to be shown passing off a load of sloppy garbage. (Lazily assembled garbage, and dishonestly attributed, at that.)

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Fiskiggy posted:

but real nice to see someone in 2009 subtly hint that voting should be linked to land ownership.

My father has outright said this to my face.

He also believes that the income tax is illegal.

For bonus points, he works for the IRS and earns $180k+ a year.

I doubt that I will ever understand how someone who is by all other measures a very intelligent person can have such a hosed up worldview.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004
Oh hey look, another from my pastor! I've seen this before, but they thought to include Obama for this round of FWD: FWD: FWD: Very Funny

quote:

Subject: FW: Craig's List AD

AN ACTUAL CRAIG'S LIST PERSONALS AD

To the Guy Who Tried to Mug Me in Downtown Savannah night before last.

Date: 2009-05-27, 1:43 a.m. E.S.T.

I was the guy wearing the black Burberry jacket that you demanded that I hand over, shortly after you pulled the knife on me and my girlfriend, threatening our lives. You also asked for my girlfriend's purse and earrings. I can only hope that you somehow come across this rather important message.

First, I'd like to apologize for your embarrassment; I didn't expect you to actually crap in your pants when I drew my pistol after you took my jacket. The evening was not that cold, and I was wearing the jacket for a reason. My girlfriend had just bought me that Kimber Model 1911 .45 ACP pistol for my birthday, and we had picked up a shoulder holster for it that very evening. Obviously you agree that it is a very intimidating weapon when pointed at your head ... isn't it?!

I know it probably wasn't fun walking back to wherever you'd come from with that brown sludge in your pants. I'm sure it was even worse walking bare-footed since I made you leave your shoes, cell phone, and wallet with me. [That prevented you from calling or running to your buddies to come help mug us again].

After I called your mother or "Momma" as you had her listed in your cell, I explained the entire episode of what you'd done. Then I went and filled up my gas tank as well as those of four other people in the gas station, -- on your credit card. The guy with the big motor home took 150 gallons and was extremely grateful!

I gave your shoes to a homeless guy outside Vinnie Van Go Go's, along with all the cash in your wallet. [That made his day!]

I then threw your wallet into the big pink "pimp mobile" that was parked at the curb ... after I broke the windshield and side window and keyed the entire driver's side of the car.

Later, I called a bunch of phone sex numbers from your cell phone. Ma Bell just now shut down the line, although I only used the phone for a little over a day now, so what 's going on with that? Earlier, I managed to get in two threatening phone calls to the DA's office and one to the FBI, while mentioning President Obama as my possible target.

The FBI guy seemed really intense and we had a nice long chat (I guess while he traced your number etc.).

In a way, perhaps I should apologize for not killing you ... but I feel this type of retribution is a far more appropriate punishment for your threatened crime. I wish you well as you try to sort through some of these rather immediate pressing issues, and can only hope that you have the opportunity to reflect upon, and perhaps reconsider, the career path you've chosen to pursue in life. Remember, next time you might not be so lucky. Have a good day!

Thoughtfully yours,

Alex

P.S. Remember this motto ... An armed society makes for a more civil society!

I really need to leave this church, but I fear what I may find in other churches in the area...

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

thegreatcodfish posted:

I really need to leave this church, but I fear what I may find in other churches in the area...

There is another option. (j/k)

GertLush
Aug 24, 2005

thegreatcodfish posted:

Oh hey look, another from my pastor! I've seen this before, but they thought to include Obama for this round of FWD: FWD: FWD: Very Funny

His mother was listed as 'momma' and he drove a 'pimp-mobile'. Goodness, was the mugger supposed to be...a black?

Gotta love the not so subtle racism

MDDevice
Jul 14, 2000

evilweasel posted:

I like how they used the 2008 county map instead of the state map. A state map would have directly refuted their own stats.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

thegreatcodfish posted:

I love that the guy in email's response to getting almost robbed was to commit armed robbery himself. Plus burglary and criminal damage on some poor guy's car (a car he assumed belonged to the robber but had no proof). Plus all the telephone crap. Great stuff.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Dr. Tough posted:

I love that the guy in email's response to getting almost robbed was to commit armed robbery himself. Plus burglary and criminal damage on some poor guy's car (a car he assumed belonged to the robber but had no proof). Plus all the telephone crap. Great stuff.

The telephone crap is probably worse. Those are serious federal crimes.

And this was apparently endorsed by a pastor? What is the world coming to?

PS
An armed society... means I get to act like the douche bag I always wanted to be. In other words, not civil at all.

FakeEdit: Just for the hell of it. He admits tot he following crimes:
*Armed Robbery (a felony)
*Credit Card Fraud (lots of it, appears to be a felony in Georgia)
*Threatening state employees (Typically a felony in most states, but I don't know about in Georgia)
*Threatening the President of the United States (A very serious crime. I didn't want to do a Google search so that I would end up on some list, but its probably a felony)
*Defacing private property (oh hey a misdemeanor, looks like he has gone soft)
*Don't know the gun laws in Savannah, but I'm sure he broke a few of those too.
*Maybe even an anti-vigilantism law of some kind, but I could be reaching here.

So 4 felonies and a misdemeanor, at least, which he freely admitted to Craig's list. Classy.

Gripen5 fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 12, 2009

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Zwabu posted:

There is another option. (j/k)

I struggle with that every day that I see stuff like this coming from "Christians".

quote:

Yeah, that was my favorite part too. So much for turn the other cheek. I am tempted to just respond with Matthew 5.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Dr. Tough posted:

On the bright side, there's very little chance that it's true. It smacks of an elaborate fantasy revenge scenario.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

On the bright side, there's very little chance that it's true. It smacks of an elaborate fantasy revenge scenario.

Well true. The whole "and then I threatened Obama but they think it's you!" definitely put it over the edge.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Gripen5 posted:

* Threatening the President of the United States (A very serious crime. I didn't want to do a Google search so that I would end up on some list, but its probably a felony)

It's a felony with a maximum punishment of up to five years in jail.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

quote:

Once There Was A Great Nation!

It was founded by the pilgrims who decided to leave their own country, which didn't encourage freedom of religion, freedom of speech, and freedom of the individual. So they migrated to an uncivilized land inhabited only by savages. The rock where they landed was to become a national shrine - and one of the most famous monuments in the world.

They drove off the natives, built rude shelters and houses of worship, meanwhile setting aside a special day to give thanks.

These pilgrims - all stern, austere men - believed in their God, but they also believed in work. They established schools under religious leaders that, in a way, became the first public, free education in the world.

Through hard, determined labor they forged a colony while the rest of the world chuckled.

But the pilgrims persevered. Intolerant of wrongdoing, they used gallows to punish criminals. In their day-to-day activities they had no patience for the weak and degenerate, who, if pampered, become the cancer of a nation.

Shortly, these pilgrims engaged in trade and commerce as their community grew. In the process, they became moderately prosperous.

Other colonists came and established other communities. And some of the noblest words ever written began to surface. Facades of our modern government buildings bear some of the legends written back then: "liberty," "justice," "freedom of worship.

Then one of the older nations sent tax agents to exploit the colonists. Alarmed, the colonists sent their greatest men as representatives to a general assembly, choosing a gentleman farmer as their leader. He united them and shook off the shackles of oppression as they won the fight against the "old world" and became a strong nation. That farmer is known as the "father of his country." Today, a famous U.S. city is named after him.

The new nation formed two houses of government. The more powerful was the Senate, whose members could be elected only if they were men of probity [integrity], honor, patriotism, and religion. The nation became a republic, though it is a republic no longer.

Ultimately, a civil war divided the fledgling country. Its leader, who tried to keep the republic united, was assassinated in the shadow of government buildings.

Eventually, many of the nations senators became ambitious for power. They began to make deals with leaders of important factions.

And the republic now became entangled in alliances with foreign nations. The alliances brought wars; the wars brought taxes. But the citizens didn't seem to mind. War, after all, also increased trade and industry. And, besides, the new taxes affected only the rich.

Farmers rebelled, sending petitions for subsidies, price supports. Government, wanting support for its own schemes, bought up the surplus crops and stored them in warehouses, where they rotted. Not to be outdone, industrialists were next to ask for tax benefits.

Finally, the government became all powerful. It guaranteed to protect the people from all forces of nature. And taxation grew and grew. Bureaucracy thrived as free housing, fiee food, free entertainment came next. The middle class declined under the added tax burdens. Crime became so commonplace that it was dangerous to walk the streets at night.

A crippled man led the nation into more wars and foreign entanglements. Patriots became known as radicals.

A general, who had been victimized by the government, pleaded with the nation to remember her past, to return to honor, to decent government, to the principles ofthe founding fathers. The people scoffed, and he died, bitterly thinking his anguished thoughts.

An honest senator dared to speak out for a halt to foreign subversion and to constant foreign aid and draining away from the people's money. The public at large recoiled, branding him a reactionary.

The nation fell deeper into debt. It joined a league of the world with enemies that exploited her. She increased taxes to send her wheat to those enemies. And she devalued her currency, substituting base materials for precious metals in her coins.

She became allied with powerful barbarians in still another stupid war. She sent "experts" to school the barbarians in the latest scientific discoveries.

The nation was now totally corrupt. Its middle class was finally dead. The barbarians moved in... and took over. And they destroyed the civilizations. That nation's name?

Ancient Rome.

Identification notes:

The pilgrim's rock - Foundation of the Temple of Jupiter
The gentleman farmer - Cincinatus
The assassinated leader - Julius Caesar
The general - Marc Anthony
The honest senator - Cicero
Author unknown

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

Drop The Bomb posted:

Rome

I've tried reading that from a pro-fundamentalist point of view, an anti-fundamentalist POV, a "patriot"'s POV, and a "blame-America-first"er POV. No matter how you read it, that whole little allegory is utterly pointless and doesn't really support any of them.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Drop The Bomb posted:

I'm not 100% up on my American history/current events. Who's the victimized general's modern day equivalent? And is the honest senator meant to be John Kerry?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Plom Bar posted:

I'm not 100% up on my American history/current events. Who's the victimized general's modern day equivalent? And is the honest senator meant to be John Kerry?

Get real. The victimized general would be Petraeus, while the honest senator would have to be Jim DeMint.

Astra
Aug 7, 2007
This is surely the way it is going to be

NecroBob posted:

I've tried reading that from a pro-fundamentalist point of view, an anti-fundamentalist POV, a "patriot"'s POV, and a "blame-America-first"er POV. No matter how you read it, that whole little allegory is utterly pointless and doesn't really support any of them.

Not only that, but they appear to have really skewed the descriptions of the people to try and get them to fit into this story. Julius Ceasar didn't keep the republic united so much as by his actions he made himself into a dictator in perpituity.

Mark Antony was victimised by the government, generally due to his actions following his involvement with Cleopatra in Egypt. Calling himself ruler of that province and suggesting his godhood. He got involved the civil war himself and he committed suicide after being beaten back to Egypt.

Also the chronology is all out of whack. They seem to be mentioning certain acts and how the empire went to crap around the time of Cicero, Julius and Mark Antony, however it didnt start the decline until a good 70 years later, during the reign of Tiberus.

Finally, you could say that part of the downfall of the empire was due to the actions of religious exremists. But I don't think they would want to mention Christians as being the agressors in a peice like this.

Also, I feel like such a nerd for pointing all of this out, but listening to "The History Of Rome" podcast has made it a really enjoyable subject and really educational, you should check it out.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

NecroBob posted:

It just basic conservative talking points.

There is the narrative of the hard working common man, who raises up through hard work to do great things thanks to all his hard work. These hard working people had not time for the lazy.

Then it talks about this common man who works on a farm (in REAL AMERI... ROME) and leads the nation to military victory over its enemies.

There is tons of talk about taxes and government programs, that only the rich paid so no one worried about them.

The country then lost its way. How could this happen?

It just uses the formula of things I don't like will cause bad things to happen.

It is just a mishmash of conservative talking points poorly interlaced into a very naive narrative about Rome. If we don't follow our conservative principles bad things will happen and history will repeat itself. Just like in Rome.

the other hand
Dec 14, 2003

43rd Heavy Artillery Brigade
"Ultima Ratio Liberalium"
God dammit. I'm embarrassed to say where this came from.
In a fit of irritation, I wrote back asking whether it was a cruel left-wing parody of right-wing chain emails.

quote:

An economics professor at a local college made a statement that he had never failed a single student before,
but had once failed an entire class.

--------------------------------------------

That class had insisted that Obama's socialism worked and that no one would be poor and no one would be rich, a great equalizer.

The professor then said, "OK,
we will have an experiment in this class on Obama's plan".

All grades would be averaged and everyone would receive the same grade so no one would fail and no one would receive an A.

After the first test, the grades were averaged and everyone got a B.
The students who studied hard were upset and the students who studied little were happy.

As the second test rolled around, the students who studied little had studied even less and the ones who studied hard decided they wanted a free ride too so they studied little.
The second test average was a D!
No one was happy.

When the 3rd test rolled around, the average was an F.

The scores never increased as bickering,
blame and name-calling all resulted in hard feelings and no one would study for the benefit of anyone else.

All failed, to their great surprise, and the professor told them that socialism would also ultimately fail because when the reward is great, the effort to succeed is great but when government takes all the reward away, no one will try or want to succeed.

Could not be any simpler than that.

(Please pass this on)

Obviously made up story aside, there's so much stupid here that it's hard to know where to start.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
That one has showed up in the thread earlier. I tried to make a version of the story that more accurately represents socialism. I'd appreciate some criticism, I think it'd be neat to have a copy paste response to this email that people can send to their family. What I wrote loses focus and changes direction a few times but I think it sounds sincere. Anyone want to see if we can turn it into something that really works? I'm sure that someone is going to bring up the 'South Park the truth is in the middle' bullshit but I think that many people will agree that depending on the situation a capitalist or socialist approach might work better.

Scenario 2:
The professor doesn't average the grades. Instead he asks all the students to bring in their laptops, encyclopedias, dictionaries, pencils, etc. The professor takes all of the equipment and sets up a study room where everyone can use the resources. Any student can sign up to take home the laptop for a night and the pens and pencils are rationed out.

The grades of some students decrease, they benefited greatly from having a personal computer and encyclopedias and their grades went down when they had to deal with a bureaucracy to get access to stuff they used to have. Some students saw their grades go up, they suddenly had access for the first time to an encyclopedia and were able to research the topics they were writing about.

The lazy students' grades stayed the same, they hadn't cared enough to open an encyclopedia before the professor's great experiment and they didn't care after.

Question:
Is this system more or less fair? There are a lot of reasons why one student might have a computer and another might not. Many students with computers probably have parents who value education and have the resources to help their children out. The students without computers might have parents who don't see the value of education or just can't afford to help out.

It's easy to see how one system or the other seems unfair. It's unfair for only the rich kids to have computers because the poor kids might just be unlucky kids who have poor parents. It's unfair to take the rich kids' computers away because the whole reason their parents bought the computers was to ensure that their children were successful.

It's totally unfair to cast one side as Satan worshiping psychopaths and the other as the true followers of God's holy path. Each side has advantages and disadvantages. It's easy to see the advantages of having public libraries and socialized fire departments. It's easy to understand why a 100% income tax might discourage people from working harder.

I'm sure a lot of people have had experiences where they were forced to work in a group in school and it just ended up with one person doing all the work. I've been the one worker in those groups, I didn't care much about grades in High School and I had no problem laughing as I showed up to school on the date the project was due after contributing as much as my 'partners.'

I ended up in the Navy instead of college. I think a lot of veterans become Republicans because they know what it's like to live in a world where the government rules your life. At the same time I think that most veterans will admit that capitalism wouldn't work in the military. No man left behind is a lot of work but it's better than a bidding war on whether or not the person left behind can afford to pay for the cost it would take to get him back home. On the other hand, I don't think anyone thinks that an E-1 who needs training in order to mop a floor deserves as much pay as an E-5 who can repair and maintain a ship's radar while supervising his own workcenter.

Bottom line:
Socialist systems and Capitalist systems can exist side by side. We can have ruthless capitalist Wall St. investors who enjoy the privilege of socialist fire, police and, military protection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
So there is no such thing as a group effort in their world? I would think that since the students are paying to be at the course, they would put forth enough effort not to fail. The students are there to earn a degree, not just pass one class.