Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

weekly font posted:

Despite the CM Punk avatar above me, I'm probably the only person on Earth who bought tickets to a wrestling show and a Gaga concert on the same day.

If she has a concert in Cleveland I'm buying front row tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!
I like how the new video has allusions to stuff she has worn before; the pokey red hat from the VMAs, the orbit dress, shooting sparks from her breast, the triangular hair cut. She has created her own little Gaga world full of her Haus of Gaga friends and high fashion designers and is slowly exposing it to us. Very savvy.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

the orbit dress makes more sense in the video than live.

You're not supposed to have it spinning, it's supposed to be all spun but stationary

Amethyst Citrine
Oct 2, 2009

Obligatory Toast posted:

That wouldn't explain why Japan has so many huge pop-acts that last for decades, though.

Well that's not to imply that there isn't some genuine talent there. But there's another part of the industry (especially in pop music) that pumps out cute faces with mediocre voices.

Sockser posted:

the orbit dress makes more sense in the video than live.

You're not supposed to have it spinning, it's supposed to be all spun but stationary

But it was so adorable when it knocked her in the face.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Could someone edit this so it's under 100 x 100 / 19kb?

Amethyst Citrine
Oct 2, 2009

IntoTheNihil posted:

Could someone edit this so it's under 100 x 100 / 19kb?

Second this...it's probably the cutest part of the video.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

angerbotSD posted:

Lady Gaga is clearly the ultimate weapon in the Gay Agenda's arsenal.

Absolutely. Also hearing a hoover in a pop song made me double take. That poo poo owns.

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

Furthering the gay Mexican agenda.
Her second single, Telephone, leaked recently and it sounds like it could hit number 1 quite easily: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RjOT9bybII

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

I wish that Bad Romance video had been around when I had to study music videos at college. Didn't realllly like the song until I heard it in the context of the video. Seriously great.

Edit: The shot at around 4.40 when she's on fire is the coolest thing, I swear. Understand what she meant by the 'make your dick hard when you look at things' comment now and I'm not even a man. I'm getting all fangirlish now.

happyflurple fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Nov 13, 2009

Humanist Manifesto
Feb 18, 2009

Death To No One.
Peace Be Unto All.

ArmoredBlue posted:

Her second single, Telephone, leaked recently and it sounds like it could hit number 1 quite easily: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RjOT9bybII

Oh man!
I've been in love with Beyonce since I was 8 and Lady Gaga is definitely my Flavor of the Week (Year? Forever?) so having those two together in a song definitely makes me happy.

Needin' a music video for this, ASAP.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I might be a old bastard but telephone didn't quite hit my fancy.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
I'll get you next time Gadget - next time!

Gatts posted:

I might be a old bastard but telephone didn't quite hit my fancy.

Agreed. It's so... generic radio hip hop it kinda grates on me. I feel like GaGa is smarter than singing about boys and nightclubs.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

ArmoredBlue posted:

I'd say a large portion of what she wore after Poker Face blew up is designer made, though some of her really out-there stuff (like the orbit dress for example) is made by her small fashion team called the Haus of Gaga.

actually the orb thing was made by nasir mazhar.
another mazhar creation:

and here's a Making Of/Behind The Scenes of Bad Romance. Really interesting. You can see her bat headdress better in scenes they cut out/never used for the final video edit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBT7Y0C7EaM&feature=player_embedded

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Doctor Claw posted:

Agreed. It's so... generic radio hip hop it kinda grates on me. I feel like GaGa is smarter than singing about boys and nightclubs.

True. I'd figure she can be much more than boys and nightclubs. Although I'd also imagine that's part of her target audience so the young girls can be all "OMG this speaks to me!"

Amethyst Citrine
Oct 2, 2009

Marshmallow Mayhem posted:

actually the orb thing was made by nasir mazhar.
another mazhar creation:

and here's a Making Of/Behind The Scenes of Bad Romance. Really interesting. You can see her bat headdress better in scenes they cut out/never used for the final video edit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBT7Y0C7EaM&feature=player_embedded

I would love to wear that to work.

Nova Bizzare
Jun 2, 2006

...and it made me smile.

Gatts posted:

True. I'd figure she can be much more than boys and nightclubs. Although I'd also imagine that's part of her target audience so the young girls can be all "OMG this speaks to me!"

She's said often that what she does is pop music and that she likes to sing about clubs, dancing, ingesting alcohol, and all of that. She had an interview where she talked about the 70s and the dance floor being sacred and some poo poo. I am sure somebody else here remember it word for word. I've been sick all week and my mind is addled. Point being, what is cliche and juvenile to some is a big part of her thing.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Goddamnit. On at exactly 12 and I couldn't get tickets to either NYC show. gently caress the internet.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Nova Bizzare posted:

She's said often that what she does is pop music and that she likes to sing about clubs, dancing, ingesting alcohol, and all of that. She had an interview where she talked about the 70s and the dance floor being sacred and some poo poo.

Lady Gaga posted:

When you listen to a song like "LoveGame", is it communicating my soul to you? No. My music isn't me jerking my dick off all over a piano trying to feel something. I make soulless electronic pop. But when you're on Ecstasy in a nightclub grinding up against someone and my music comes on, you'll feel soul.

The quote is doubly ironic, but anyway I think the sometimes-simplicity of Gaga's music is part of her trying to make what is normally considered avant-garde art accessible to the masses. The music is sometimes as simplistic and catchy as possible, which helps the audience interact with her visual identity, which is far more out there. There's a quote which I (surprisingly) don't have available which went like "The music is the sugar and I'm the medicine."

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

I like Telephone. It reminds me of I Like It Rough, which is an awesome song that no one ever talks about.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Dark Weasel posted:

I like Telephone. It reminds me of I Like It Rough, which is an awesome song that no one ever talks about.

After listening to both, I like it Rough is great but Telephone doesn't quite live up to it. People should talk about it more but it won't have a video or anything released on radio.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The quote is doubly ironic, but anyway I think the sometimes-simplicity of Gaga's music is part of her trying to make what is normally considered avant-garde art accessible to the masses. The music is sometimes as simplistic and catchy as possible, which helps the audience interact with her visual identity, which is far more out there. There's a quote which I (surprisingly) don't have available which went like "The music is the sugar and I'm the medicine."

That's interesting. Thanks for the quotes.

Valigarmanda
May 15, 2007

The frozen creature began emitting an eerie light...

ArmoredBlue posted:

I agree, I'm pretty much instantly in love with this song.

Edit: I was just thinking about something. I'm a little worried that Gaga here is going to suffer from Sufjan Stevens syndrome: release a million awesome things at once, tour, be everyone's favorite artist ever, and then disappear seemingly forever. I really hope not, cause I really, really like her.

Valigarmanda fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 13, 2009

Your Proud Pal
Sep 4, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

When you listen to a song like "LoveGame", is it communicating my soul to you? No. My music isn't me jerking my dick off all over a piano trying to feel something. I make soulless electronic pop. But when you're on Ecstasy in a nightclub grinding up against someone and my music comes on, you'll feel soul.

I'm well aware she's speaking metaphorically, but man she's gotta be aware this sort of thing does nothing to quell the rumors about her genitals.

Having been as drunk as Just Dance describes being and basically being in that situation except it was a house and not a club, and then listening to Just Dance in that situation was a pretty cool time.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
^^She's well aware of the "rumors", you realise, she even jokes about it.

So Beyonce has a song coming out called "Video phone" featuring Lady Gaga, and now Lady Gaga has a song coming out called "Telephone" featuring Beyonce? Bit of a coincidence!

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

lol it's not a coincidence........

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.
Here is a preview of her appearance on Gossip Girl. It looks so awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbfUmooh0QA

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The intersection of these two things will probably make my head explode.

This is an interesting read considering the earlier discussion: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1625589/20091105/lady_gaga.jhtml

quote:

Rather than showing up on the set for the day, Gaga met with the writers and producers first to make sure she was doing a performance that she felt comfortable with.

"I really sat down with the writers," she said. "I was like, 'Look, I want to do this, and the reason I want to do this is because I am trying to say something that is not mainstream in a mainstream capacity. So, if I can say it on your show, that would be, like, a real coup d'état for me as a performance artist.' "

The result sounds like an elaborate music video. "I am the narrator behind what is going on with the characters and make the song part of the moment," she explained about the "crazy performance-art piece." "We used these ladders, and I'm falling off ladders. Ladders are kind of a monster symbol about bad luck. And I have this 35-foot-long dress on and these X's, very gothic-inspired. It was great. They let me do whatever the hell I wanted. It was amazing."

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
My girlfriend thinks I have an unhealthy obsession with Lady Gaga....I just wanted to be that crispy corpse laying next to her in the "Bad Romance" video. That's all....

Also, the new song is awesome.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Timmy and Tommy posted:

I'm a little worried that Gaga here is going to suffer from Sufjan Stevens syndrome: release a million awesome things at once, tour, be everyone's favorite artist ever, and then disappear seemingly forever. I really hope not, cause I really, really like her.

His "best album" didn't even come close to cracking the Top 100 Bilboard chart. Not that such a thing is an infallible judgment of quality, but, for the most part, the only people who considered him their favorite artist were indie snobs.

Valigarmanda
May 15, 2007

Free Market Gravy posted:

His "best album" didn't even come close to cracking the Top 100 Bilboard chart. Not that such a thing is an infallible judgment of quality, but, for the most part, the only people who considered him their favorite artist were indie snobs.

Good point. I should have remembered that the height of his popularity was when I was still in college, so I was surrounded by indie snobs. Oops.

Redditor
May 20, 2008

sendin' out an S-M-S:
don't mess with texters

Timmy and Tommy posted:

Good point. I should have remembered that the height of his popularity was when I was still in college, so I was surrounded by indie snobs. Oops.
Illinois is still really very good, in spite of the people who like it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Also Sufjan Stevens didn't exactly dissappear, he released two albums this year

tuckfard
Dec 9, 2003

Just chillin

Dark Weasel posted:

I'll talk about it with you because its one of my favorite tracks from the album.

joyfulgirl129
Aug 22, 2006

Found this recently: it's almost like she's wearing a costume:

Lady Gaga from 2007:

Valigarmanda
May 15, 2007

Earwicker posted:

Also Sufjan Stevens didn't exactly dissappear, he released two albums this year

Yeah, one of remixed material (that i actually kinda liked) and a new album, and then said he was having some sort of existential and creative crisis. His song on Dark Was The Night was hands-down my favorite, though.

Tuckfard posted:

I'll talk about it with you because its one of my favorite tracks from the album.

me too! I absolutely love Telephone for that exact reason.

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!

Nova Bizzare posted:

She's said often that what she does is pop music and that she likes to sing about clubs, dancing, ingesting alcohol, and all of that. She had an interview where she talked about the 70s and the dance floor being sacred and some poo poo. I am sure somebody else here remember it word for word. I've been sick all week and my mind is addled. Point being, what is cliche and juvenile to some is a big part of her thing.
Definitely, after all:

Lady Gaga posted:

Pop music will never be lowbrow
Granted, there's still such a thing as good and bad pop music.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

TC_
Mar 17, 2006

Party time!!
:toot:
Because of Lady Gaga, I now mentally translate anyone saying, "I like [musician] ironically" into, "I like [musician] but I'm too embarrassed to admit that to anyone, possibly including myself."

That said, I love this woman. :swoon:

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009
My name is Brimruk...and I am a heteresexual male who loving loves Lady Gaga. :ohdear:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

TC_ posted:

Because of Lady Gaga, I now mentally translate anyone saying, "I like [musician] ironically" into, "I like [musician] but I'm too embarrassed to admit that to anyone, possibly including myself."

That said, I love this woman. :swoon:

You probably should have been doing that before Gaga broke through your mind and left behind nothing but a pair of panties and a print of Masculin Feminin.

But welcome to the club anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

Furthering the gay Mexican agenda.
So The Fame Monster is out on Italy iTunes. I'm only halfway through and it's really good so far.

• Locked thread