Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
BloodRayne now available for $5.99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Even though the chara ter designs for the time period make no drat sense (too big a fan of Vampi and their own Svetlana to resist I guess) and the game isn't fantastic, it's definitely fun enough to play through for $5.99.

I just wish they didn't choose to set the first third of the game in a swamp.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sanitarium is truly one of the creepiest games I've ever played. Its weirdness comes off as supremely natural like the devs themselves were just hosed up dudes and this is how they perceive the world.

I really liked the intentional red herrings. I remember getting stumped when I first played it because I expected one of the puzzles to revolve around an item that turned out to be completely useless.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Weekend promo: Just over 50% off when you buy Evil Genius and Republic: the Revolution together. 30% off if bought individually.

Athletic Footjob fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Nov 14, 2009

Placebo
Sep 21, 2009
Evil Genius is so fun. Bought it off steam a few months back. I like just finding awesome set ups for my base, but it can get frustrating on the first few playthroughs.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

DON'T BUY REPUBLIC: THE REVOLUTION

That game has transcended time to haunt people again like some kind of biblical demon. It's like a textbook example of temptation - the concept is so amazing and it looks so cool, but playing it will make you want to tear out your heart.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Magnificent Quiver posted:

That game has transcended time to haunt people again like some kind of biblical demon. It's like a textbook example of temptation - the concept is so amazing and it looks so cool, but playing it will make you want to tear out your heart.
Seconding this. It's an awfully drab and boring game.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

yep

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Please tell me more about this. It always seemed really interesting in previews back in 2002.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
"One very important deal for GOG.com is signed. Just a few more weeks to prepare its announcement and here we go ;-)" from w0rma's (one of the GOG.com guys) Twitter.

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Please tell me more about this. It always seemed really interesting in previews back in 2002.

I bought it on the first day it was out way back when. Basically all those pictures of the 3d engine, that's not the game, that's the action view that you use 1% of the time. Most of the time you're looking at a flat risk like map of Novistrana. The game feigns complexity with pain in the rear end game play and repetitive tasks. The music was pretty good and the graphics not too bad for it's time. I think the game might have been better if they had gutted a storyline and made the gameplay more engaging and multiplayer friendly (kind of like the revolutionist Tom Clancy's Ruthless.com)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Revolution had such an amazing idea and premise but it played like a board game developed by people who have never played a board game.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yeah, Republic looked so awesome pre-release. Then I bought it first day out and it was pretty bad. Then they made Evil Genius, which was largely awesome, but needed a bit more polish. Then they went bankrupt :(

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What's the story with Colin McRae 2005 and Toca 3? I thought they were hosing our downloads, but it looks like they're both still available in my shelf.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

rt4 posted:

What's the story with Colin McRae 2005 and Toca 3? I thought they were hosing our downloads, but it looks like they're both still available in my shelf.

If you purchased them, they're yours and always will be. They cannot sell them to new customers but they will always be available to those who bought them. It happened earlier with Operation Flashpoint.

SneakySneaks fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 15, 2009

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The impression I got from the initial press release about those games being taken down was that people that bought them would completely lose access to them on a certain date and wouldn't be able to download them again.

But that hasn't happened.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Aventine posted:

The impression I got from the initial press release about those games being taken down was that people that bought them would completely lose access to them on a certain date and wouldn't be able to download them again.

But that hasn't happened.

This is what I'm talking about.

If the companies that wanted them removed never bothered to make an account and purchase the games, they'd have no idea what's really going on. It's also easy for stuff to slip through the cracks if nobody in the office really cares about it.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

rt4 posted:

This is what I'm talking about.

If the companies that wanted them removed never bothered to make an account and purchase the games, they'd have no idea what's really going on. It's also easy for stuff to slip through the cracks if nobody in the office really cares about it.

What's the full story behind all that? Because I doubt it's "GOG WAS TOLD NOT TO LET YOU DOWNLOAD YOUR GAMES, BUT WE'RE STICKING IT TO THE MAN :hehe:" and rather anyone who bought the game is legally entitled to a refund or continued service outlined in the contract, and the former is obviously undesirable because of the lack of DRM; they'd have the game and their money. Same thing with Stalin vs. Martians on Steam (among others, ie Alien Shooter 2).

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
there was some rumours, from inside sources apparently, that situation had changed, mainly it would work like Operation Flashpoint has been

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Honest Thief posted:

there was some rumours, from inside sources apparently, that situation had changed, mainly it would work like Operation Flashpoint has been

what, the gently caress, are you talking about

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If this is true, then it goes without saying that it will continue to be this way, as long as no idiot blog joyfully trumpets the news out to the greater web. Which is pretty unlikely, since anyone whom this would affect likely already knows about it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Blodskur posted:

"One very important deal for GOG.com is signed. Just a few more weeks to prepare its announcement and here we go ;-)" from w0rma's (one of the GOG.com guys) Twitter.

Please make this be Torment.

If it's Torment there might be a god.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

what, the gently caress, are you talking about

just some talk from the forums, you can still download Operation Flashpoint from GOG if you bought it, the idea was that TOCA and Colin McRae would be so as well

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Ansob. posted:

Please make this be Torment.

If it's Torment there might be a god.

Probably going to be a whole whack of Myst clones.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I'm hoping it is a few RPGs from back in the day like torment or arcanum, I've had such an itch to play arcanum lately its crazy

Rabhadh fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 16, 2009

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Arcanum has 1140 votes on GOG. I wonder if they ever look at that list...

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

rt4 posted:

Arcanum has 1140 votes on GOG. I wonder if they ever look at that list...

Somehow I doubt the publishers they are making contracts with give a poo poo about that list. It's a nice thought, but practicality makes it pretty useless.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Overwined posted:

Somehow I doubt the publishers they are making contracts with give a poo poo about that list. It's a nice thought, but practicality makes it pretty useless.

It does give the CD Projekt guys an indication of what sort of games people would like to see brought to GOG, though, which then gives them an idea of where to go to ask who for what.

Also, if it's Arcanum (I doubt it but you never know), I will be almost as happy as if it's Torment. Arcanum was loving awesome despite its flaws.

(gently caress your magic, I have guns. :colbert:)

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I agree with you about Arcanum. I've always wanted to play it but copies are HARD to come by. Torment not so much.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Ever since I watched my friend start up a game of it as an idiot savant, I've wanted to play :(

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I still have Arcanum boxed at home. It's a pretty drat good RPG.

Losthorizon
Nov 24, 2007

by angerbotSD

Overwined posted:

I agree with you about Arcanum. I've always wanted to play it but copies are HARD to come by. Torment not so much.

On Amazon.co.uk for £7.50 new...

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I want GOG to sort out all my potential vista problems for me first :colbert:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

GreenNight posted:

I still have Arcanum boxed at home. It's a pretty drat good RPG.

I found my old boxed copy of BGII (to add to my DVD-case copy and the 4-in-1 Atari rerelease I already have), but I can't for the life of me remember where I put my Arcanum. I've still got the box, just not the discs. :(

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I bought Arcanum years ago. Though I never finished it, and it's not currently installed, I still have the .iso files on my drive, and a backup copy, and the original discs. All the same, I'd be thrilled to see this game on GOG and have some attention on it again. Might even get me to start another playthrough.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I found an arcanum LP in the archive if anyones intrested in having a look

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Arcanum/

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Beyond Divinity is now out for $9.99.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rabhadh posted:

I found an arcanum LP in the archive if anyones intrested in having a look

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Arcanum/

God loving drat it I now crave Arcanum and I still can't find my discs or find a place to buy it for cheap ($30 minimum over here and it'd be stuck in French, and amazon.co.uk charges £8/$13 for shipping).

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Too much for a this one. I'd pay 10 for the first game but not this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Okay whoever the gently caress brought up Arcanum I now hate you for making me spend $20 on the cheapest copy I could find (on the plus side it's the original boxed copy with Bible-sized manual and all, on the negative side I've just realised I should probably have bought the DVD rerelease due to not having to swap discs).

Edit: rt4 I hate you.