Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
gently caress. THIS. FIGHT. The spoilers were bad enough, but Jesus. Christ. Somehow, having this translated and cleaned just makes it that much worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

fivegears4reverse posted:

... 'We're going to build up some rear end in a top hat nobody gives a poo poo about for months on end until Ippo remembers the meaning of Christmas...

I don't know why, but I am laughing like a moron at this line :v:

Regarding the raw that was just released: I'm sure 876 will be just as bad. Its ending doesn't feel right a game-changer. Woli will defy the laws of momentum and rocket-punch Ippo with his monkey powers. Repeat for a while :( Seriously wondering how Ippo is supposed to beat this guy. I know he will, but this is just looking damned ridiculous.

Plus, given how Ippo is in full-on panic mode, I seriously doubt he'll turn around in 876 and be all "JUST AS PLANNED :smuggo:"

Geop fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Nov 17, 2009

Lil Jon Galt
May 22, 2002

IS A MAN NOT ENTITLED TO THE SWEAT DROP DOWN MY BALLS?
This fight is loving terrible and doesn't look to be over any time soon.

HOW ON EARTH CAN ANY MAN FIGHT IN THE THIRD DIMENSION??!!!

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
I'm not sure, but I see Ippo actually losing this one. I honestly don't see how he can come back, unless through some crappy execution of the Japanese Spritit, which would suck as hard as losing...

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The only way I can see Ippo maybe winning is if he takes some defensive approach where he just holes up in the corner. We've seen nothing to indicate that Woli has a particularly strong punch or can deal body blows, so he couldn't really do anything if Ippo just sat in the corner with his turtle guard. He could theoretically just wait until Woli gets frustrated and opens himself up to something. I don't think Woli understands boxing enough to get a point win if Ippo does something like this.

I know it's dumb, but I also know that Ippo will win this and can't come up with any other way since they've already made it clear that he flat out can't match his speed and hit him.

Also, Woli "monkey running" with his gloves on the ground is the dumbest poo poo I've ever seen in this manga.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Punc posted:

I'm not sure, but I see Ippo actually losing this one. I honestly don't see how he can come back, unless through some crappy execution of the Japanese Spritit, which would suck as hard as losing...

He wont lose, that would mean the JAPANESE FIGHTING SPIRIT means nothing to raw talent and monkey powers.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Punc posted:

Haha I remember when people seriously thought Miyata was going to lose too.

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog
You know what would be hilarious?

Woli gets robbed on the scorecards.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If his gloves touch the floor, is that a foul of some sort?

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007
I don't think so. In RL boxing if your gloves are that low then you don't have your guard up, which is something you'd get punished for regardless.

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage

Leonard Leroy posted:

You know what would be hilarious?

Woli gets robbed on the scorecards.

Would it create a situation where Ippo was no longer in favor as champion, and he has to take a step back and build himself up again? Sounds a little too interesting for the current state of this manga. I'm also not sure why you spoiled that.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time

L.E. Cheetah posted:

I don't think so. In RL boxing if your gloves are that low then you don't have your guard up, which is something you'd get punished for regardless.

Dont gloves touching the floor = knockdown?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

tazman posted:

Dont gloves touching the floor = knockdown?

You kind of have to be touched.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Raw is up.

Yet another irritating chapter.

Woli does his monkey-jump and Ippo seems to finally land a body-blow, but SURPRISE. He blocked it with his elbow. Woli looks off-balance from taking a truck-blow to the elbow, so Ippo closes in. Woli dodges everything as he moves back to the ropes. He hops back, grabbing the top rope like before, ready to bound off once Ippo charges.

Ippo charges, swings wildly and stupidly. He ends up stumbling in to the ropes, but Woli unexpectedly ends up springing in to the corner. Ippo closes in, boxing him in to the corner. For a second it looked awesome. Ippo was all ANGRY GOD and poo poo. But then Ippo swings like crazy and Woli just weaves and dodges them all. Ippo aims for a big straight, but he's countered by Woli as he dodges past him. Ippo staggers in to the corner, looking like he just had his brain rattled big-time. Wide, vacant eyes.

I'm a tad befuddled as to why Woli looked so spooked by Ippo's wild swing, though, prior to ending up cornered. Regardless, just more irritating bullshit in this fight.

It also flashes a picture of Dankichi. This is what it is referring to (link) => :v:

Here's how I see it going for now:
I guess that the bell will ring before Ippo goes down. End chapter.
New chapter has them talking in the corner, Ippo is a mess. GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER. End chapter.
Following that, he gets his rear end handed to him again. BUT WAIT. IS THAT AN OPENING? End chapter.
BODY BLOW. But Woli reveals his ability to take truck-blows to the abdomen. He then punches Ippo's head off and steals Kumi. End chapter.

Geop fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 23, 2009

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's out translated.

HOLY gently caress WE GET IT, WOLI IS REALLY GOOD.
It's like we've moved on from the pro boxers being impressed that he's a genius.
Now the crowd is impressed he's a genius.
Now the announcers are going to get in on it.
Then it'll be another chapter of the coaches discussing what a genius he is.
CAN WE MOVE ON WITH OUR LIVES NOW?

Can we get to the part where Ippo destroys him already? Because lord knows it's going to be 2 more chapters before he gets a hit in. If he gets saved by the bell in the next chapter.. so help me loving god..

It's becoming Dragonball Z: The Fighting.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Nov 23, 2009

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Infinitum posted:

It's becoming Dragonball Z: The Fighting.

http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/875/10/

THIS PAGE.

THIS. loving. PAGE.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

HE DID A loving MINI DEMPSEY ROLL! Really, Morikawa? REALLY?!

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Nov 23, 2009

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Ippo's gonna win this in half-dead/asleep mode. Showing off his NIPPON HONORARY SUPER SPIRIT FIGHTING.

This'd be an ideal time for Ippo to somehow on-the-fly learn that sakki or whatever the hell it was called that Sendo did. The special magical feint :v: Then he could shoot rainbows of death with his fists and take Woli out whilst he attempts his ninja/spider-monkey maneuvers.

I miss the good ol' see-saw fights where victory would slide back-and-forth quite regularly. THOSE were good fights. I'm hoping that one of the fights Ippo has in the future is against someone identical to him: a hard-nosed infighter who has won through guts and raw training thanks to an insane work ethic. That would be a nice fight idea, I'd think.

Of course, given how Mori is working, Ippo will probably end up going through a growth spurt and the last leg of the manga will be him going OMFG WEIGHT LOSS IS HARD.

Geop fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 23, 2009

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.

fivegears4reverse posted:

http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/875/10/

THIS PAGE.

THIS. loving. PAGE.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

HE DID A loving MINI DEMPSEY ROLL! Really, Morikawa? REALLY?!

http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/875/09/ - this one is worse, the smugness in his eyes bottom right... He's making smugwolf look like a shy guy.

So, is there any chance Woli will actually become tired from jumping all around the ring and beating the loving poo poo out of Ippo, or is he too much of genius to let stamina effect him?

The only thing I see Ippo do is crawl up in a corner, take beatings for 9 rounds (2 chapters a round, off course), then smack a tired Woli the gently caress down.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Punc posted:

http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/875/09/ - this one is worse, the smugness in his eyes bottom right... He's making smugwolf look like a shy guy.

So, is there any chance Woli will actually become tired from jumping all around the ring and beating the loving poo poo out of Ippo, or is he too much of genius to let stamina effect him?

The only thing I see Ippo do is crawl up in a corner, take beatings for 9 rounds (2 chapters a round, off course), then smack a tired Woli the gently caress down.

Woli is practically playing with Ippo. He won't get winded just from this :(

Upon looking at this newest chapter closer, Woli bounded off of the ropes to help give his punches/movements more "oomph", hence why he excels in the corner. If Ippo is to beat him, he needs to somehow predict where he is going and avoid the corners. Or, in some odd way, he manages to beat him where he shines.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
This fight loving sucks.

Razor Ramon
Nov 9, 2009
I read the newest chapter hoping the fight was going to show some sign of ending very soon, what a disappointment

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
I agree, the fight sucks. Mostly because:

Miguel already told us the outcome of the match.

Miguel said that Kamogawa was a rare "Samurai" capable of making the "impossible possible through sheer force of will." He doubted anyone else in Japan could pull that off as a boxer. Well, surprise! Ippo can pull that off, and that's how he will win against Woli.

I'm almost 100% positive we'll see a flashback to Anderson vs Kamogawa and Kamogawa "ghosting" behind Ippo as he oblierates Woli with a super spirit punch.

Right now, we're subjected to the "impossible" scenario for Ippo to win (current chapters). A month from now, he'll probably pull off a miracle in a few more chapters.

It's just frustrating we have to sit through it, knowing how predictable and lame the writing is. We've seen this outcome a dozen times. I'd much rather the fight be a back-and-forth exchange where the lines blur and we don't know the outcome. Like Mashiba vs Sawamura.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Jedah posted:

I agree, the fight sucks. Mostly because:

Miguel already told us the outcome of the match.

Miguel said that Kamogawa was a rare "Samurai" capable of making the "impossible possible through sheer force of will." He doubted anyone else in Japan could pull that off as a boxer. Well, surprise! Ippo can pull that off, and that's how he will win against Woli.

I'm almost 100% positive we'll see a flashback to Anderson vs Kamogawa and Kamogawa "ghosting" behind Ippo as he oblierates Woli with a super spirit punch.

Right now, we're subjected to the "impossible" scenario for Ippo to win (current chapters). A month from now, he'll probably pull off a miracle in a few more chapters.

It's just frustrating we have to sit through it, knowing how predictable and lame the writing is. We've seen this outcome a dozen times. I'd much rather the fight be a back-and-forth exchange where the lines blur and we don't know the outcome. Like Mashiba vs Sawamura.

Yeah, I figure it's gonna be a willpower trait. However, Kamogawa pulled it off against some guy who was almost twice his freakin' size :psyduck: David-Goliath sorta thing. Woli is just way too fast for Ippo. I'm curious how he'll end up catching him.

Definitely hoping for some more Ippo-Kamogawa parallels. If Kamogawa was in a different era and didn't break his fists, I'm curious of how far he would've gone :ohdear:

Lil Jon Galt
May 22, 2002

IS A MAN NOT ENTITLED TO THE SWEAT DROP DOWN MY BALLS?
I'm just gonna post that this fight is loving awful without giving any backup because it would mean I might have to read it again.

Tuuurrrribleeeeeee.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm trying to think of a worse fight than this, but I'm coming up short. Maybe Takamura's last match where he became incompetent for no reason?

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

I'm trying to think of a worse fight than this, but I'm coming up short. Maybe Takamura's last match where he became incompetent for no reason?

That match before Hayami where he almost lost to the dude who won matches by points. Pretty hard to beat that one :psyduck: At least he redeemed himself by kicking Hayami's teeth in within one round.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Maybe there'll be a parallel to the Takamura/Hawk fight, and Ippo will hit Woli out of the air. That'll be the start of the turn around, and he'll eventually get his KO victory. It's a sort of parallel with the trainer vs. trainer fight and two "geniuses" duking it out

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time

Geop posted:

Definitely hoping for some more Ippo-Kamogawa parallels. If Kamogawa was in a different era and didn't break his fists, I'm curious of how far he would've gone :ohdear:

Considering he had a punch that could shatter a mans ribs he would have killed his way to the top.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

What's the chapter with Ippo doing the tekken thing by smashing logs into the side of a hill with a hammer. Because I need some badass Ippo to get me off this poo poo.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Geop posted:

That match before Hayami where he almost lost to the dude who won matches by points. Pretty hard to beat that one :psyduck: At least he redeemed himself by kicking Hayami's teeth in within one round.

Nah, that guy actually tried to win by boxing. He had a good plan and studied how to beat Ippo. He just didn't try for a K.O., so everyone treated him as some sort of subhuman freak. Also, Ippo was still a novice at that point so there was some leeway with the bullshit. Woli just uses his magic foreigner monkey bullshit powers to do a bunch of physically impossible crap without even breathing hard.

Edit: Let me reemphasize that last point- Woli has better physical conditioning than Ippo for no discernable reason, without any specific stamina training other than chasing monkeys. I guess being a ~genius~ means he gets to skip the training arcs everyone else has to go through and still get better results without hard work.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Nov 25, 2009

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
Man, I thought everyone must have blown this out of proportion until I caught up and sure enough, the fight between Ippo and the star of The Jungle Book really is the lamest poo poo. God drat.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
So is it worse than Ippo's last fight with the Filipino guy who tied his gloves loose.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

gently caress. I remember that log-smashing. I miss the training arcs :( Ippo being on world level should still have him doing some awesome things to improve his strength/agility.

There better be some redemption match after this where Ippo fights some world-renowned badass up-and-comer and totally obliterates him. 'Cuz I'm sure folks will be dangling "LOL ALMOST LOST TO A ROOKIE" over his head.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, as terrible as this fight is it still beats Ippo's retarded relationship problems. Kumi is such an obvious beard it would be funny if it weren't so sad.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Well, as terrible as this fight is it still beats Ippo's retarded relationship problems. Kumi is such an obvious beard it would be funny if it weren't so sad.

Yeah but to be fair the relationship subplot isn't the focus of the goddamn manga.

Gendo was still worse, Cuz his was the shittiest gimmik. We're just sicker of it at this point.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Infinitum posted:

What's the chapter with Ippo doing the tekken thing by smashing logs into the side of a hill with a hammer. Because I need some badass Ippo to get me off this poo poo.

Found the flashback chapter where Kamogawa was doing Tekken.

http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/408/15/

Need to find the one where Ippo is doing it, just to show exactly much he is going to gently caress up the Jungle boy in a chapter or so.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I don't think Ippo has ever done the same move but he did do the log hitting.

http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/575/05/

Guyver fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 26, 2009

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So it has really been more than 300 chapters since they hinted at a new dempsey roll with no payoff? Still, after reading that chapter maybe Ippo will manage it on his own somehow during this match and then start challenging the world. Ahahahaha, I'm just funnin' ya.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

So it has really been more than 300 chapters since they hinted at a new dempsey roll with no payoff?
God I had completely forgotten. There was both the stop-go dempsey roll he used to beat Sawamura and the crazy super-punch he did while training and neither of those has turned into anything. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Man. Re-reading the Kamogawa flashback fight was amazing :pcgaming: What happened, Mori :(