Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famicom Bunko
Jan 30, 2005
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
I'm looking for some Middle Eastern music, similar to Elder's post but a bit more encompassing. I'm pretty much in the dark, but I like what I've heard from Ananda Shankar. I'm also a fan of The Budos Band, which isn't exactly Middle Eastern but something similar that could widen the recommendations.

After skimming the thread, I may check out Yeasayer and Secret Chiefs 3 but that's not exactly what I'm searching for...

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
I want to get into Drum n' Bass. All I know is I like DJ Marky. Go wild!

DarkestLite
Feb 27, 2007

"Can we fix it?"
"No, it's fucked."
Okay, so I love these slow indie CD's that have been coming out (I'm currently digging Hospice by The Antlers) but I've yet to find any upbeat pop/rock albums that have really caught me this year other than Wolfgang Amadeus by Phoenix.

Some favorites of mine:
Joel Plaskett Emergency
The Hush Sound
Motion City Soundtrack
Mae
Owl City
Say Anything (I'm going to chect out the newest album soon, I've got it but yet to give it a listen)
Vampire Weekend
The Rocket Summer

I like a -lot- of music and these are just bands that I could list off the top of my head that pump out really upbeat dance music. If anyone can think of any albums that came out this year that are as upbeat and catchy as the stuff I've listed above, please let me know!

PUSSY BARON
Dec 25, 2005

by mons all madden
I need help getting into soul. What are the most important albums or are there any good compilations?

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

PUSSY BARON posted:

I need help getting into soul. What are the most important albums or are there any good compilations?

Honestly, just take the plunge and grab the first bargain bin compilation CD you can find. 60's and 70's soul has always been a singles-based genre, and the music appears to be ridiculously easy to license so you can find most of the Grade-A artists like The Supremes and James Brown on even the lowliest supermarket collection. After that just pick out your favorites from each one, and away you go.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Elder posted:

The third style might be linked to the Iranian stuff, but I'm looking for some music that you generally hear in movies when someone is lost and dying the the desert. It's very simple music consisting of an endless drone and a single female vocalist singing in a very sorrowful manner. She will hold out long notes - no words, I don't think) punctuated by little flips and modulations. I know that's a terrible description but I'm not really sure how to describe it any better. I wish I had an example of this.

Anyway, any help anyone could give would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

You'd probably like Dead Can Dance. It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but there's plenty of the type of stuff you're describing in their sound.

They did this in Baraka: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCvNtAwWxXg

Lisa Gerrard, one of their vocalists, has one of the most gorgeous voices I've ever heard. She does a lot of soundtrack work (for example, the songs in Gladiator are her). Here's one of her songs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHwS5VZxg2c&feature=related

Brodeurs Nanny fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Nov 16, 2009

garbage day
Jun 13, 2008

im lollin at you're trollin

PUSSY BARON posted:

There are some great recommendations and starting-point suggestions in this thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3215812

Also, strongly seconding what Surfer Rosa Parks said. Grab a low-priced multi-artist hits collection, and from there you can follow your favorite artists to an equally low-priced best-of collection. For example, Bill Withers "Lean on Me -- Best of (Remastered)" provides a choice sampling of his work, and it's $7.98 new on Amazon.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I lived in southern Spain for a few months and one night I went out to this amazing club. They had live bands playing on stage but the real crux of the experience for me was the drum band that would descend into the crowd whenever they were swapping stuff on stage.

Theres just something intensely... tribal about jumping the gently caress around to nothing but a whole load of amazing drums and Im looking to recreate the experience as best I can but I dont know where to start. Ive tried various search terms with google and youtube but nothing yet.

Someone must know what Im talking about. Basically I just want some drumwork thats going to appeal to my inner warrior or whatever. Help!

Miles O'Brian fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 16, 2009

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.

i am not so sure posted:

You'd probably like Dead Can Dance. It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but there's plenty of the type of stuff you're describing in their sound.

They did this in Baraka: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCvNtAwWxXg

Lisa Gerrard, one of their vocalists, has one of the most gorgeous voices I've ever heard. She does a lot of soundtrack work (for example, the songs in Gladiator are her). Here's one of her songs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHwS5VZxg2c&feature=related

That's pretty much exactly what I was looking for, thanks. I have heard that song a few times before as well, and always wondered who it was. Thanks!

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."
I'm looking for some really good guitar albums because I've recently got into King Crimson's Lark's Tongue in Aspic and Red. I love the guitar on both of those albums, but mostly in the split title track of Lark and the first song of Red. I'm not real interested in the cliche guitar-rock of Led Zeppelin and company, as I am in the lesser-known and less common stuff like Television's Marquee Moon. Any help would be appreciated.

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008

Secret Agent X23 posted:

The Cramps are one of my favorite bands. I don't know if you're familiar with a lot of their stuff, but if not I would recommend checking out the albums A Date with Elvis, Look Mom No Head (I especially like the track "Bend Over I'll Drive") and Fiends of Dope Island.

I actually was not familiar with the Cramps, so I checked out some songs of theirs and I'm really digging it! I really like that song "Naked Girl Falling down the Stairs."

Farts Domino posted:

that's a really open request but anyway how about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j70GSW6YMaM
The Fendermen - Mule Skinner Blues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1emDgEQvFY&feature=related
Messer Chups. All of their stuff sounds mostly like this but they went sorta straight surf later on

My dad used to sing the Mule Skinner Blues, had never heard the original though! That Messer Chups track is amazing and those riffs are drat catchy! Got any other recommendations?

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Could someone recommend me some metal? I've never liked it in the past, really, the hardest my tastes ever got was Queens of the Stone Age, but Metalocalypse and the two Dethalbums have got me curious, because I really enjoy the music from that show and the albums released from it.

Maha posted:

Pendulum is the best DNB I know of. Hold Your Color is closer to Drum N' Bass, while having a bunch of different kinds of songs, while In Silico is a bit more rock and uniform in sound, both are fantastic albums, though.
I first heard of them thanks to this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn9970dxQ2g

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Pendulum is widely considered to be crap and its also nothing like DJ Marky. I'd suggest more liquid dnb such as High Contrast and everything on the label Hospital Records, also Good Looking Records and Spearhead Records and all the artists on those.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Jetsetlemming posted:

Could someone recommend me some metal? I've never liked it in the past, really, the hardest my tastes ever got was Queens of the Stone Age, but Metalocalypse and the two Dethalbums have got me curious, because I really enjoy the music from that show and the albums released from it.

Pendulum is the best DNB I know of. Hold Your Color is closer to Drum N' Bass, while having a bunch of different kinds of songs, while In Silico is a bit more rock and uniform in sound, both are fantastic albums, though.
I first heard of them thanks to this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn9970dxQ2g

Try Between The Buried And Me's new album "The Great Misdirect", and their last one "Colors". Protest The Hero's Fortress, Necrophagists The Onset Of Putrifaction.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Maha posted:

It's a big genre, but I'd be happy to recommend you a few artists from my sphere of interest. I'm most into the atmospheric side of jungle / drum & bass, as exemplified by LTJ Bukem, his Good Looking label and its offshoots.

First stop is Logical Progression, a mix CD by Bukem featuring many of his early tunes as well as material from others on Good Looking. Very essential. After that I would recommend looking into these albums, in no specific order:

Big Bud - Infinity + Infinity
Adam F - Colours
Goldie - Timeless
LTJ Bukem - Journey Inwards
Omni Trio - Even Angels Cast Shadows

There are an absolute ton of compilations and mix CDs on Good Looking, but I don't want to overwhelm you on just one sub-genre when you're just getting into D&B.

Yoghurt
Dec 18, 2006

We have always been at war with scenesters

Cyne posted:

It's a big genre, but I'd be happy to recommend you a few artists from my sphere of interest. I'm most into the atmospheric side of jungle / drum & bass, as exemplified by LTJ Bukem, his Good Looking label and its offshoots.

First stop is Logical Progression, a mix CD by Bukem featuring many of his early tunes as well as material from others on Good Looking. Very essential. After that I would recommend looking into these albums, in no specific order:

Big Bud - Infinity + Infinity
Adam F - Colours
Goldie - Timeless
LTJ Bukem - Journey Inwards
Omni Trio - Even Angels Cast Shadows

There are an absolute ton of compilations and mix CDs on Good Looking, but I don't want to overwhelm you on just one sub-genre when you're just getting into D&B.

I would like to find a lot more of the airy stuff like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_TOpHLdFZk

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
So I'm looking for some good rap-rock. Lately I've been enamored with Quarashi, and I'd love to hear more music like that. I also like Methods of Mayhem, Urban Dance Squad, and even though they're not entirely what I'm thinking of, Rage Against the Machine and the Chili Peppers. Like so many others, I also hate Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit (but I love Black Light Burns). Pandora's not much help on this one, unfortunately. Any recommendations?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
I've been listening to a shitload of the strokes and the libertines, and so now I'm looking for the best of the rest of the thousands of knockoffs they spawned

bipolarbear
Jun 15, 2005

Droppin the Funk Bomb!

Elder posted:

I'm looking for three particular styles of music which I know absolutely nothing about -

The first one I would describe as stripped down, dark Spanish guitar with vocals. I was waiting for a train and there was an older man playing guitar and singing, and it was awesome. I recorded a clip on my phone (which I can post here but the quality is terrible) and asked a friend of mine if she knew the song. She thought it was Leonardo Favio, but when I looked him up I found that his stuff was orchestrated with strings and drums and multiple vocalists, and so even though the song might be the same it just didn't have the same mood.

The second is Iranian/Persian music, but I'm not really looking for the traditional stuff or the dance/Bollywood style stuff. I overheard some bits and pieces of the Rumi Symphony Project at work last night and I really liked, but there's not too much information on the internet. That site has a few songs but I don't know where they're from because there doesn't seem to be an album of this stuff anywhere. Also those songs aren't quite the same as the ones I heard last night. The music is described as "a blend of Middle Eastern musical structures and the sounds and textures of Western orchestration" which is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. Basically traditional Iranian instruments (especially the awesome percussion stuff) in a modern western setting.

The third style might be linked to the Iranian stuff, but I'm looking for some music that you generally hear in movies when someone is lost and dying the the desert. It's very simple music consisting of an endless drone and a single female vocalist singing in a very sorrowful manner. She will hold out long notes - no words, I don't think) punctuated by little flips and modulations. I know that's a terrible description but I'm not really sure how to describe it any better. I wish I had an example of this.

Anyway, any help anyone could give would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Qawwali was the first thing I thought of. Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan is a good guy to check out in that genre. It's not very close and hits more of the trad angle you were trying to avoid, but at least it's a place to start. Please post if you find more especially regarding the Rumi Symphony Project. I am LOVING that stuff.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

CloseFriend posted:

So I'm looking for some good rap-rock. Lately I've been enamored with Quarashi, and I'd love to hear more music like that. I also like Methods of Mayhem, Urban Dance Squad, and even though they're not entirely what I'm thinking of, Rage Against the Machine and the Chili Peppers. Like so many others, I also hate Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit (but I love Black Light Burns). Pandora's not much help on this one, unfortunately. Any recommendations?
Tried Street Sweeper Social Club?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw_hAsFtcHo

garbage day
Jun 13, 2008

im lollin at you're trollin

CloseFriend posted:

You might enjoy some stuff from the "Judgment Night" soundtrack, which was all collaborations between rock and rap acts. Here are a couple sample tracks from that:

Faith No More/Boo-Ya Tribe "Another Body Murdered"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfTg4Fcza58

Helmet/House of Pain "Just Another Victim" (the rap part doesn't start until 2:15)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSlXFoIAa88

Also, some Public Enemy tracks with a rap/rock feel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4azhxMWmu48
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBA-xi8WuCU

Old-school Boogie Down Productions, with KRS rhyming over the "Smoke on the Water" riff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ2Mwnoj5XM

For another Rage-type group, try Downset:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6IQxhkVIEw&feature=fvst

And, here's the Onyx/Biohazard "Slam" collaboration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZdW32LgBDc

Hawk Harrelson
Nov 2, 2009

by elpintogrande

screaden posted:

I've been listening to a shitload of the strokes and the libertines, and so now I'm looking for the best of the rest of the thousands of knockoffs they spawned

sadly the babyshambles (doherty) and dirty pretty things (barat) are both very underwhelming, but you might like some of their stuff. in fact, I actually enjoyed a few songs on Albion, and Shotter's Nation is more consistent on the whole.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Hawk Harrelson posted:

sadly the babyshambles (doherty) and dirty pretty things (barat) are both very underwhelming, but you might like some of their stuff. in fact, I actually enjoyed a few songs on Albion, and Shotter's Nation is more consistent on the whole.

I am aware of those bands (but haven't yet checked them out). I was thinking more along the lines of bands that didn't involve those members but took a lot of ideas and style from them

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

I'm looking for some melodic wall-of-sound stuff, to block out some unwanted poo poo in my head. I like and and have had good experiences with Radiohead (i.e. Everything in it's right place), some stuff by Moby, the one or other NIN song, stuff like that. As long as I can blare it over headphones, it maintains this wall of sound while stying melodic, it helps. Any suggestion is appreciated, no matter how outlandish.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

OrganicRobot posted:

I'm looking for some really good guitar albums because I've recently got into King Crimson's Lark's Tongue in Aspic and Red. I love the guitar on both of those albums, but mostly in the split title track of Lark and the first song of Red. I'm not real interested in the cliche guitar-rock of Led Zeppelin and company, as I am in the lesser-known and less common stuff like Television's Marquee Moon. Any help would be appreciated.

I guess the obvious answers would be Fripp & Eno or Sonic Youth, but what you may be looking for is jazz-influenced guitar work in general. Sonny Sharrock's Ask the Ages is an all around great guitar album if you're looking for something different.

Schurik posted:

I'm looking for some melodic wall-of-sound stuff, to block out some unwanted poo poo in my head. I like and and have had good experiences with Radiohead (i.e. Everything in it's right place), some stuff by Moby, the one or other NIN song, stuff like that. As long as I can blare it over headphones, it maintains this wall of sound while stying melodic, it helps. Any suggestion is appreciated, no matter how outlandish.

If you want something that's both aggressive and melodic, try noise pop.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=77:4558
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_pop

Since you mentioned NIN, A Place to Bury Strangers used to open for them and they also have a new album out. There's also one of their biggest influences, The Jesus and Mary Chain, whose first album Psychocandy is generally regarded as their best. There's also the closely related, sometimes overlapping genre of shoegaze. My Bloody Valentine's Loveless is more or less the definitive shoegaze album, so it's the best place to start if you haven't heard it already.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Turd Nelson posted:

My dad used to sing the Mule Skinner Blues, had never heard the original though! That Messer Chups track is amazing and those riffs are drat catchy! Got any other recommendations?
Send me an e-mail @ hunterking a inbox.com let's talk

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Schurik posted:

HEALTH (We Are Water is pure sex) and Holy gently caress should fit the bill.

I'd also suggest modwheelmood and blindoldfreak. They are both projects of Alessandro Cortini (former keyboardist for Nine Inch Nails), modwheelmood is more of a traditional band setup and blindoldfreak is just him and his Buchla. They are all pretty cheap on Amazon MP3 (Pearls To Pigs is only $8.99 for 37 songs and blindoldfreak is $6)

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.

bipolarbear posted:

Qawwali was the first thing I thought of. Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan is a good guy to check out in that genre. It's not very close and hits more of the trad angle you were trying to avoid, but at least it's a place to start. Please post if you find more especially regarding the Rumi Symphony Project. I am LOVING that stuff.

Awesome, I will check out Qawwali, thanks. I'm not really opposed to the traditional stuff in fact I am pretty interested in checking it out, but I figured a modern take would be more accessible. Will def update if I find anything more out about RSP.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Way Past Cool! posted:

A Place to Bury Strangers

Sporadic posted:

blindoldfreak

These are perfect, thanks a lot guys.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Schurik posted:

You'll want to check out the downtempo or chillout genre for sure, it's atmospheric and generally instrumental music that has more of a beat and a melody than ambient so it's interesting without being distracting, and VERY well appreciated with headphones. Boards of Canada, Air, Future Sound of London, Ulrich Schnauss, Nosaj Thing and William Orbit are a pretty good spread of different styles.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Schurik posted:

These are perfect, thanks a lot guys.
You might check out Ceremony too, who are more like a much noisier New Order, or a more melodic APTBS.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

OrganicRobot posted:

You might want to try out a pair of Swedish bands, Anglagard and Anekdoten. Both have been compared to the Larks' Tongues/Starless/Red period of King Crimson, and it won't take you long to see why.

You'll also want to give a listen to a Japanese band called Happy Family.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

OrganicRobot posted:

Like Way Past Cool said, sounds like Sonic Youth would be right up your alley as they use lots of unconventional and unique guitar techniques. The most common starting point for them is Daydream Nation or Goo, which are both classic albums.
Actually, you'd probobly get a kick out of the Shoegaze genre in general, though honestly I don't have a wide enough knowledge of it to be giving out reccomendations.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

I need a great deal of guidance into he jungle of hip-hop. I know that I like it, but I don't know where to start with whole albums. The only artists I can say for certain that I enjoy are A Tribe Called Quest (whom I hope are not spat upon by the "real" rap community) and Wu-Tang Clan, and I only have a passing knowledge of the latter (I heard about 20 minutes of 36 Chambers and loved it, so maybe I should get that?)

Anyway, maybe one of you cats could help me out. I really am looking more for albums and artists (sub-genres if I'm feeling bold) rather than singles, but if there's a genuinely killer song that I need to know about, by all means inform me.

edit: also I like Kid Cudi a little. :ohdear:

Iraff fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 20, 2009

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Try Between The Buried And Me's new album "The Great Misdirect", and their last one "Colors". Protest The Hero's Fortress, Necrophagists The Onset Of Putrifaction.
Just listed to The Great Misdirect. Man, that was... weird. Not at all like Dethklok. I kept flipping back and forth on whether I liked it or not, but the final track, Swim to the Moon, sold me on the album as a whole, because it was so good.
Thanks!

Edit: Iraff, if you liked Wu-Tang maybe try Cypress Hill? I haven't listened to either since I was in middle school or so but I remember them being similar. :v:

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Turd Nelson posted:

I'm looking for weird music. Maybe that's not the right word for it, but I'm looking for any kind of song that is somewhat obscure and catchy.

Here are a few examples of some songs i would call weird:

The Cramps - Human Fly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPOVmWzeqEo

Southern Culture on the Skids - Camel Walk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUP5rwVNJko

Patti Smith - Rock n' Roll friend of the family
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLIkM4wvcC8

Can anyone recommend me some songs?

You need a little "Slim Cessna's Auto Club" in your life:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMsJi9WzhX8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQP2ChNur-A

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.
For some reason I got to listening to French rap some time ago (I think it started with a random Last.fm play) and I've loved almost every single song I've heard. I'm not a huge fan of rap/hip-hop (or French) but there's something about the way the words roll of the tongue that really grabs me. Plus, I don't understand a word of it so I can pretend every lyric is intensely deep and meaningful.

What I've listened to and liked so far: Saļan Supa Crew, Keny Arkana, Fonky Family, but really I can just put on a multi-tag radio of "French" and "Hip hop" and like everything I hear. I'm just looking to get to know some artists better instead of just blindly listening.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
MC Solaar is usually the go-to intro French MC that I see dropped. 90's rap that's a little beat dated, but still works well. Prose Combat & MC Solaar are the two albums I'd suggest, but the title track from Paradisiaque almost makes the album worth it.

Paradisiaque - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_6Y_xxPQsw

e: Oh, poo poo. Cut Killer. French DJ so just kinda related but I forgot about his cut in La Haine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ailZa_cVLrM#t=1m50s
e2: That's Supreme NTM being sampled in the Cut Killer vid, they're good if you French want hardcore more than the acid-jazz beat mix of Solaar.

JehovahsWetness fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 21, 2009

DADA SQUAD
Mar 10, 2007

мудак.
i want more bands like clockcleaner. slow and noisy, the louder the better. thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeeKong
May 17, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DADA SQUAD posted:

i want more bands like clockcleaner. slow and noisy, the louder the better. thanks in advance.

You would do well to check out any other band on Load records, since all of them are noisy and heavy. I would personally recommend Sightings and Brainbombs which both play a slower kind of noise rock. You can download some free mp3s from Loads own homepage and see what you think about them.