Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

anthonyz posted:

Just bought a second PS3 since my 6 year old son is squatting the other PS3 with Eye Pet...

After backing up and restoring all my save games I realized that
Demon Souls save game is copy protected.. so if I want to play in my bed I'll have to start over.

My first play through was using a thief, what do you think should be an interesting class for a second character? Probably something faster to level than the thief.

The PS3 general thread might be able to help you with that, I know a lot of people swapped PS3s and managed to keep their savegames, even the protected ones.

KGBAgent185 posted:

Classes are simply gear loadouts. They have 0 influence on how fast they "Level"

Royal is a class a lot of people like to start out with, you start with a Fragrant ring and are pretty powerful to start out slinging Soul Arrows.

Well technically Thief levels the slowest because it starts with loads of points in Luck, so each level is more expensive because you're dealing with an inflated luck stat that doesn't really benefit you in battle for the most part (I use Blueblood Sword)

Royal starts at SLvl 1 so you can basically get a couple of extremely easy levels in whatever stats you want, instead of having to deal with some excess stat points.

Royals are the easiest class to start out with, I've found, classes with Bows are really useful early on but most people don't remember that 20 souls an arrow is quite a lot at first, I would level slower because most of my souls were spent on arrows, and then going through 3-1 gave me like 50 spices so I just used magic until those ran out, then I got the Lava Bow and it was my best weapon for a long time. I was constantly using whatever I could afford at the time, where with Royals you start out with a regenerating magic source that is straight up overpowered in the early levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonyz
Apr 15, 2006

kugutsumen will return

Tornado Lazers posted:

Why not just switch out the PS3s or at least the HDs? Maybe Eye Pet or whatever save data isn't write protected

I thought about that but my old PS3 is too noisy and I would also have to redownload tons of DLC... over 60 of them... (all LBP DLCs and bigger ones like Rag Doll, Flower, etc...); it is a loving pain in the rear end.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Royal starts at SLvl 1 so you can basically get a couple of extremely easy levels in whatever stats you want, instead of having to deal with some excess stat points.

Thanks for the tip, I am probably going to pick a royal.

anthonyz fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 23, 2009

Kringy
Dec 31, 2008

real_scud posted:

So I have a question. I'm on my first game, and just beat the Tower Knight, but if I attempt to go to 2-1 and fight the spider boss I get my rear end kicked. Is there another level I should be going to instead of fighting this boss?

I feel like I'm stuck in this deadzone of ability because I can go through 1-1 and 1-2 easily, and 2-1 pretty easily as well but I'm not good enough for the spider boss. Should I just keep going through 1-1,1-2 and 2-1 to soul farm and level up some of my defense and magic stats?

What I did was most probably a noob rear end thing to do. I beat her as a barbarian using a mailbreaker that was upgraded about 7 times. I had about 5 half moon herbs, 4~5 full/late herbs. The fight starts, I stick to the left wall, wait for the bitch to shoot 3 fireballs and zig zag while running towards her to avoid her webbing. I glue my rear end to the leg on the left, keep my shield up. Now all I did here was wait till she stops throwing up fireballs, run in front of her face to trigger her claw attack (but stay out its range), and run straight back to the leg on the left.

She always *slumped down* after 2 or 3 missed swipe attacks. I run in, stab the oval office 2-3 times MAX, run back to the leg, and repeat. Always block her swipe on the way out. When you see her foaming at the mouth with fire, run alll the way
back. Repeated this about 4 or 5 times. That loving oval office PFTTOEY PFFTOO

Shouldn't really be a spoiler but wth

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Arcaeris posted:

I've been using a Crescent Falchion +5 and Moon Winged Spear +5 for a long time with 42 Magic, and I'm wondering if anyone's bothered to level a Crescent Kilij +5.

I'm well into NG++ (and soon NG+++) and I'm curious if it has better/faster/slower attack animations than the Falchion? It seems to do a little more damage, is it worth leveling up the Kilij?
If you can stomach the Sharpstone leveling of the Kilij to get it to Crescent +1, yes. The animations for weapons in the same class are exactly the same, so "one-handed curved swords" all function the same. Shotel, Scimitar, Falchion, Kilij, they're all the same except in stats. The advantage of the Scimitar/Falchion is weight and easier requirements to use, but they do less damage and will always be inferior upgraded to the Kilij.

A Crescent or Moon Kilij is probably best. Winged Spears can't take Crescent so Moon's the best choice there. Unless you ignored Faith entirely, don't overlook Blessed too; if your Faith is in the 30-40 range, it may actually beat out Moon/Crescent depending on the weapon you put it on. The nice thing about the curved swords and spears is they take Sharpstone, and in your first run of the game you may be dumping your Hardstone into the Steel or Purple Flame Shield to get it to +10. If you aren't just using the Dark Silver/Large Brushwood shields and leveling with colorless souls, anyway, but I don't really recommend that.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

Nakar posted:

If you can stomach the Sharpstone leveling of the Kilij to get it to Crescent +1, yes. The animations for weapons in the same class are exactly the same, so "one-handed curved swords" all function the same. Shotel, Scimitar, Falchion, Kilij, they're all the same except in stats. The advantage of the Scimitar/Falchion is weight and easier requirements to use, but they do less damage and will always be inferior upgraded to the Kilij.

A Crescent or Moon Kilij is probably best. Winged Spears can't take Crescent so Moon's the best choice there. Unless you ignored Faith entirely, don't overlook Blessed too; if your Faith is in the 30-40 range, it may actually beat out Moon/Crescent depending on the weapon you put it on. The nice thing about the curved swords and spears is they take Sharpstone, and in your first run of the game you may be dumping your Hardstone into the Steel or Purple Flame Shield to get it to +10. If you aren't just using the Dark Silver/Large Brushwood shields and leveling with colorless souls, anyway, but I don't really recommend that.

Yeah, at this point I just have a pile of all the stones lying around (all I need left are Pulp and Sucker I think), so I figured it'd be worth it to upgrade the Kilij and see what I can do.

I have a Blessed Mace +5 that I never use except for 4-1, and I'm going for a Blessed Mirdan Hammer +5 for my NG+++ twohanded pole run, I think my Faith is at like 32.

I already have the Purple Flame at +10, Dark Shield and Adjudicator's at +5, so I trade out whatever shields I have. Endurance is 52 so I don't worry too much about equip burden.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
For Blessed weapons, I like the Knight Sword (very good for a one-hander), Mirdan Hammer (good balance of strength and reach and when you double it up with the Adjudicator's Shield the HP regen is insane), and Great Sword (for maximized bonuses and regen on a gigantic sword; not recommended if you dislike super-heavy weapons since it takes two Pure Faintstones).

Incidentally, I don't recommend Crushing. I made a Crushing Great Sword and it wasn't even as good as Northern Regalia. Even enchanted. What the hell is that poo poo? I mean I hadn't gotten to 99 STR yet but at 40 in everything you'd probably get more out of the drat Blueblood Sword and have a more well-rounded character too. Pushing to 99 in a damage stat seems nearly pointless if the extra 59 points would've gotten you to 30ish in two other stats.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

Okay, I made the Crescent Kilij +5. At 30 Strength, 26 Dex, and 40 Magic, it outdamages the Crescent Falchion +5 by 20. (360 vs 340) And with those stats it outdamages the Moon Winged Spear +5 by 4 (360 vs 356).

Pretty nice, and I still have enough stones for another +5 Crescent weapon.

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

We are rolling for the King of All Cosmos!
I finally started playing this game this weekend and it is fantastic. I've finished 1-1 (except King Dolan), 1-2, 2-1 and beaten the main demon of 2-2, but haven't done any of the sidequest stuff there. I do have a couple questions which I can't seem to find on the wiki that I was hoping people here could answer...

I rescued Ostrava from 1-1 in my second play of the level and I got the Masoleum key off of a body (though I did not think it was his, but perhaps it was based on the wiki's information). He's not in 1-2 in the designated spot - does this mean he's gone forever? Will this have any huge effect since I already have the key?

When should I challenge Old King Dolan to get the sword he's guarding? I have a Purple Flame Shield +2 and a Winged Spear +5 right now, I think my soul level is around 18 but I'm not positive. I tried fighting him once, but with my shield up he attacked me once, it took all of my guard away and almost my entire health!

I want to get the World Tendency of 1-1 to pure white - if I fight Old King Dolan to best him in combat and have him give me the sword, does that move the world toward black, or only if I actually kill him? When Miralda appears, should I wait until I finish all of world 1 before killing her (since it'll set the world back to neutral?)

What happens if I quit the game in the middle of a level? I've always gone back to the Nexus first because I'm afraid I'll lose all of my souls if I quit mid-level.

I've been playing in Online mode, but I haven't played with any other players yet (just left messages and rated messages). Am I missing half the fun of this game, or do people tend to play solo until they run into trouble? From what I understand, you can only go to someone else's world to help them - beating their boss won't actually mark yours as beaten (and I assume you don't get the loot so you can't get two of the same Demon's Soul in one playthrough).

Edit: Another question! Aside from just trying them all out, how can I tell if the L1 of a weapon (or shield) is parry vs. block? I can't find this info on the wiki

Fitret fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 23, 2009

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Ostrava is dead if you have the key, you didn't miss a ton, but he does have some nice rewards, but nothing you NEED to have.

I thought Old King Dolan was a challenge around Soul Level 70, any less and I really don't see how you could manage without a lot of skill. Well, beating him for the sword is easy and could be done earlier, actually killing him for the armor is a whole different story.

Quitting mid level just saves basically, no harm in doing so.

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

Palleon posted:

Ostrava is dead if you have the key, you didn't miss a ton, but he does have some nice rewards, but nothing you NEED to have.

I thought Old King Dolan was a challenge around Soul Level 70, any less and I really don't see how you could manage without a lot of skill. Well, beating him for the sword is easy and could be done earlier, actually killing him for the armor is a whole different story.

Quitting mid level just saves basically, no harm in doing so.

If I actually kill Old King Dolan, the world will shift towards black through, right? If I just beat him, will it still shift?

If I quit mid-level, do I start back at the Nexus? If that's the case, what's the point in the ridiculous 20k Divine spell that brings you back to the Nexus with all of your souls? Couldn't you just quit and load alternatively?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
You only change WT by killing things. Dolan will relent and let you take the sword when he loses about 25% of his health. He won't keep attacking and you won't get any credit or demerit for killing him because... well, he's still alive.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Fitret posted:

If I actually kill Old King Dolan, the world will shift towards black through, right? If I just beat him, will it still shift?

If I quit mid-level, do I start back at the Nexus? If that's the case, what's the point in the ridiculous 20k Divine spell that brings you back to the Nexus with all of your souls? Couldn't you just quit and load alternatively?

If you quit mid level, you start back exactly where you left off.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
And for the record, Evacuate is loving awesome.

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

Awesome! Thanks for all the help guys! I also wonder - should I be planning out more where I want to take my character? Right now I'm kind of working towards the Lava Bow simply because I can almost make it and I have a Winged Spear +5, a Crushing Axe +3 and the Purple Flame Shield +2. I'm just sort of upgrading things willy-nilly and only being careful about how I use demon's souls from bosses. I assume this is okay because I can always just farm stuff?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Fitret posted:

Awesome! Thanks for all the help guys! I also wonder - should I be planning out more where I want to take my character? Right now I'm kind of working towards the Lava Bow simply because I can almost make it and I have a Winged Spear +5, a Crushing Axe +3 and the Purple Flame Shield +2. I'm just sort of upgrading things willy-nilly and only being careful about how I use demon's souls from bosses. I assume this is okay because I can always just farm stuff?

Using up shards is not a big deal, but chunks and pure stones are extremely rare, and farming them can take hours and hours and hours (and for some there are only a limited amount per playthrough anyway, so you can get to the point where you can't farm them), so don't throw away chunks or pures unless you're going for the trophies, or you absolutely know you want to spend them on that item.

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

Palleon posted:

Using up shards is not a big deal, but chunks and pure stones are extremely rare, and farming them can take hours and hours and hours (and for some there are only a limited amount per playthrough anyway, so you can get to the point where you can't farm them), so don't throw away chunks or pures unless you're going for the trophies, or you absolutely know you want to spend them on that item.

Yikes! Good thing I asked. Along the same lines, can you ever sell gear, or should I just dump all of these copies of crappy items that I have (like slave shields, or the old ragged outfit that I can't wear since I'm male).

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
You can't sell anything. Drop it or stick it in storage; Thomas has infinite space.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

Palleon posted:

Well you can farm them in the sense that there's NG+ and always another chance to farm them.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
Anyone around 159 with pure bladestone or a weapon I can hold? I have the rest of the weapons maxed and would be willing to trade.

aWall
Jan 28, 2003

Football Jesus
I'm assuming that the same rules that apply to summoning blue phantoms apply to being invaded- if I've killed the boss on a level, Black Phantoms cannot invade me- is that correct?

I've never been invaded when farming souls in my body form or running to the blacksmith in 2-1.

My buddy and I have character ADD in this game. Got my first character (royalty) up to lvl 60 or so, then we started Barbarians, got the barbarian up to around lvl 60, and now we're doing more dex based characters (him a thief, me a wanderer). I'm sure at some point I'll go beat the game and check out NG+ Its really satisfying to start a new game and be able to go through the first level with ease now- just thinking back to how hard that level was when I was getting used to the game makes me laugh now when I start it with a new character and am able to waltz through it without blinking.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

aWall posted:

I'm assuming that the same rules that apply to summoning blue phantoms apply to being invaded- if I've killed the boss on a level, Black Phantoms cannot invade me- is that correct?

I've never been invaded when farming souls in my body form or running to the blacksmith in 2-1.

My buddy and I have character ADD in this game. Got my first character (royalty) up to lvl 60 or so, then we started Barbarians, got the barbarian up to around lvl 60, and now we're doing more dex based characters (him a thief, me a wanderer). I'm sure at some point I'll go beat the game and check out NG+ Its really satisfying to start a new game and be able to go through the first level with ease now- just thinking back to how hard that level was when I was getting used to the game makes me laugh now when I start it with a new character and am able to waltz through it without blinking.

Correct, once the boss is dead, no other players can enter those zones (you can't even backtrack to them, fog doors will stop you).

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.

Fitret posted:

A Lava Bow, Moon Winged Spear +5, and a Purple Flame Shield +8 or +9 will see you through basically all of NG. Purple Flame Shield +10 is pretty much the best shield in the game for someone who wants to be able to fast roll, with Dark Silver Shield +5 (aren't going to get it first playthrough) and Adjudicator's Shield +5 (gimmick) being better in certain limited circumstances.

Nagna Zul
Aug 9, 2008

primitive posted:

A Lava Bow, Moon Winged Spear +5, and a Purple Flame Shield +8 or +9 will see you through basically all of NG. Purple Flame Shield +10 is pretty much the best shield in the game for someone who wants to be able to fast roll, with Dark Silver Shield +5 (aren't going to get it first playthrough) and Adjudicator's Shield +5 (gimmick) being better in certain limited circumstances.

What about tower shield, large brushwood shield and rune shield?

E: a steel shield would be pretty good too if you need the 2.0 equip capacity.

Nagna Zul fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 25, 2009

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Nagna Zul posted:

What about tower shield, large brushwood shield and rune shield?

E: a steel shield would be pretty good too if you need the 2.0 equip capacity.

First two are absurdly heavy and aren't feasible for use.

Stephen Smith
Nov 8, 2004

«The Grimace Reaper»
Got this game about a week ago and I'm absolutely addicted. I have a few questions though. First, I killed the blue guy who sits in front of the first world in the Nexus -- is this going to come back to bite me in the end? Second, I'm pretty confused about some world tendency and trophy stuff. Some of the trophies require you to have the best x weapon in the game -- what does that mean? How do I forge these weapons? I also want to do things like fight Executioner Miralda, but I don't know the best way to go about changing tendency. Any tips?

Stephen Smith fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 25, 2009

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Just purchased this game, and before jumping right in, I'm going to ask one question. What would be the best class to play as a beginner? I was thinking just picking Soldier since it's the default, but if there's a more newbie-friendly class I'd like to know.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Syndlig posted:

Just purchased this game, and before jumping right in, I'm going to ask one question. What would be the best class to play as a beginner? I was thinking just picking Soldier since it's the default, but if there's a more newbie-friendly class I'd like to know.

Classes only change your equipment loadout. Start with a class that looks good and if you don't like how it plays you can change your stats to better reflect your playing style.

Stephen Smith
Nov 8, 2004

«The Grimace Reaper»

Syndlig posted:

I think Soldier and Royal are probably the two most newb-friendly classes. If you want to melee, go with Soldier. Magic, go with Royal. However, as someone else already pointed out you can change the stats later to whatever you're happy with, so your starting class doesn't really matter too much.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Palleon posted:

I wouldn't say the Large Brushwood is absurdly heavy. It's heavy, but it takes Colorless souls (which really aren't as big a deal as Hardstone) and gives 100% Fire blocking, which is actually quite nice. There are times even the purple's 90% doesn't save you from dying (hello fat ministers). The Steel Shield trades weight for some fire block; it's really a call between that and the purple.

That said, I can't see the Tower Shield ever being useful. Even with 99 Vitality and Endurance, you have better things to do with your carrying capacity.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Palleon posted:

And the Rune shield just isn't very good when compared to other shield loadouts. It has slightly more magic defense (60%) than most shields (most others have 30%), but if you're looking for magical defense, just temporarily switch to the very light Dark Silver Shield (100% physical and 100% magical defense).

There are probably less than 4 or 5 total enemies in the game that will attack you with a weapon that does both physical and magic damage. So besides those small exceptions, you'll only take magic damage in the form of projectiles fired at a reasonably slow rate. This means you don't really need a shield with a high HitRes if you're guarding against magic because you'll always have more than enough time to regain your stamina after basically every cast if you're careful.

Shields with a high magical defense that's aren't the Dark Silver Shield are gimped. There are objectively better shields for physical and fire defense, and the Dark Silver Shield is better for magical defense. Basically, if you want physical and fire defense, use the Purple Flame Shield. If you need defense from magic, just swap to the Dark Silver Shield.

You'll RARELY (and I mean rarely) encounter physical+magical attacks, and you won't encounter magical+fire attacks, so the Purple Flame Shield and Dark Silver Shield are all you really need.

...and maybe the Adjudicator's Shield to put on your back for the regen if you're planning on two-handing something.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 25, 2009

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Syndlig posted:

Like hitting things with weapons? Then a soldier, knight or temple knight is a good start. A soldier starts with a spear, which is incredibly handy since you can attack while blocking. The knight has excellent armor and starts with a sword, the temple knight has a healing miracle and a halbred.

If you like casting spells, pick the Royal, as you not only get an excellent spell, you get a MP regen item as a starting piece of equipment.

I'd stay away from the barbarian, as their lack of armor early on is painful. The magician has spells, but lacks an easy MP regen method. The wanderer is ok if you plan on going big on spears/bows, although the hunter actually starts with a bow. However, early on arrows are expensive.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Opted with Soldier. Man, this game is brutal. I thought I was doing well until some glowy eyed knight thing (not even a boss!) inserted his large metallic blade into my fleshy chest region. Lost all my souls, too, was hoping to get back to being alive again some time soon.

stretchy membrane
May 22, 2007

_________
:tipshat:
Oh god drat it. I'm fighting maneater right now, and killed the first one and got the second to 2/3rd hp before he flew under the bridge. I unequipped my thief's ring and tried to get it to notice me to lure it out but it's still hovering there infinitely. I ran out of arrows which weren't doing much anyways and none of my magic attacks can reach :( I really don't want to fight it again is there any way at all I can make it come out?

Click here for the full 704x528 image.

stretchy membrane fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Nov 25, 2009

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Syndlig posted:

Opted with Soldier. Man, this game is brutal. I thought I was doing well until some glowy eyed knight thing (not even a boss!) inserted his large metallic blade into my fleshy chest region. Lost all my souls, too, was hoping to get back to being alive again some time soon.

If he had blue eyes, keep on trying man, you'll get him.

If he had red eyes... might want to come back later.

edit: oh, and don't worry about getting your body back any time soon. You'll get it back if you beat a boss, but immediately after you do that, you should go to the Nexus and kill yourself by jumping off something high. If you die in body form while you're in a world, it shifts the world towards being more difficult (black tendency).

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 25, 2009

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

GreatGreen posted:

If he had blue eyes, keep on trying man, you'll get him.

If he had red eyes... might want to come back later.

No, gently caress that. Red Eye Knights are there to teach you a lesson in learning to block. Blocking is insanely important in this game, and it's very important that you learn how to block properly. There's a pattern you need to learn to get into; hold block at all times, only drop block when you're missing a significant chunk of your stamina, and when you drop your block you should always be trying to make some distance between the enemy and yourself. After that it's just a matter of recognizing the various patterns many enemies use.

Spear-wielding Blue/Red Eye Knights have a couple of attacks that can really gently caress you over. One will hit you, then about .5 seconds later (just long enough to make a new player think they've finished with their attack) they'll add a double-thrust that will outright kill you (it hits twice; you can emulate it with a two-handed power-attack with a spear). They'll also happily charge you when you try to eat, so you need to watch out for that.

Seriously, though, Red Eye Knights aren't intrinsically worse than Blue Eye Knights, they just have more health and hit harder; the patterns are the same. What really differentiates the types of Knight is what weapon they use: two-handed bastard sword, sword and shield, or sword and spear. Spear is generally the most dangerous because it's easy to misjudge the reach, and two-handed sword is only rough if you try to block instead of just making sure to back up enough.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

WeaponBoy posted:

No, gently caress that. Red Eye Knights are there to teach you a lesson in learning to block. Blocking is insanely important in this game, and it's very important that you learn how to block properly. There's a pattern you need to learn to get into; hold block at all times, only drop block when you're missing a significant chunk of your stamina, and when you drop your block you should always be trying to make some distance between the enemy and yourself. After that it's just a matter of recognizing the various patterns many enemies use.

Spear-wielding Blue/Red Eye Knights have a couple of attacks that can really gently caress you over. One will hit you, then about .5 seconds later (just long enough to make a new player think they've finished with their attack) they'll add a double-thrust that will outright kill you (it hits twice; you can emulate it with a two-handed power-attack with a spear). They'll also happily charge you when you try to eat, so you need to watch out for that.

Seriously, though, Red Eye Knights aren't intrinsically worse than Blue Eye Knights, they just have more health and hit harder; the patterns are the same. What really differentiates the types of Knight is what weapon they use: two-handed bastard sword, sword and shield, or sword and spear. Spear is generally the most dangerous because it's easy to misjudge the reach, and two-handed sword is only rough if you try to block instead of just making sure to back up enough.

No, some red eye stuff you just need to leave alone. If you're at a low enough level, or have a bad enough shield, a red eye knight or skeleton will one hit kill you through your shield. You're not meant to fight everything in this game, and the red knight in 1-1 is there to teach you that. Sorry, but you're wrong.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Palleon posted:

No, some red eye stuff you just need to leave alone. If you're at a low enough level, or have a bad enough shield, a red eye knight or skeleton will one hit kill you through your shield. You're not meant to fight everything in this game, and the red knight in 1-1 is there to teach you that. Sorry, but you're wrong.

In this case yes. As a new player (using melee) your chances against that red eye knight are about as good as against the tutorial boss - except against the tutorial boss you can afford to make one mistake with some of the classes.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Has someone out there managed to beat the tutorial boss like Doku on level 2 of Ninja Gaiden Sigma, or does he have some stupid failsafe like the first boss in Megaman X?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
He is perfectly beatable once you are more skilled with the game. You just need to stick right next to him and circle around him to avoid his attacks only backing away to avoid the stomp. You get decent grass, soul, and stone rewards for beating him as well as the Grey Demon's Soul. However, since you do have to die to start the game you get punched in the face by the Dragon God.

VVV - Yeah doing it yourself or watching it in motion if you can't beat Vanguard is the preferred option.

evilalien fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 25, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
^^
Don't read that spoiler. Find it on youtube instead.

Spoiler - this is what happens if you do beat the tutorial boss:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gssC68oS6kg#t=05m55s

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 25, 2009

• Locked thread